ACNE = Linoleic-Acid DEFICIENCY? Corn Oil For Acne?

ilovethesea

Alternavista from acne.org (original topic: Acne Prone Skin/sebum Deficient In Linoleic Acid, Possible Topical Solution)
has compiled an impressive resource showing that Acne-prone skin (the sebum component of skin specifically) uses OLEIC ACID (an Omega-9, like Mead-Acid which Peat believes is naturally produced and resistant to lipid-peroxidation. Olive Oil is high in Omega-9 oleic acid.) instead of LINOLEIC ACID (Safflower/Soybean/Corn Oil) leading to hyperkeratinazation and "stickier" or more "rigid" sebum. This rigid sebum is then speculated to get "stuck" in the skin/hair follicle, leading to a buildup of cellular debris and eventually a localized minor irritation and/or infection, which rises to the epidermis and causes a visible whitehead. She has compiled the information in a more organized manner than this topic, and I recognize this topic will not change anyone's mind. But I do think it is possible that these oils may have benefits, as long as they are not consumed. I also noticed much of the research is focused on "receptors" and I don't think that's going to provide any solutions for people who actually suffer from acne right now.

-------
Oils and fatty acids are definitely absorbed through the skin to some degree and they seem to benefit vulnerable populations (with skin issues.)
Acne is an indicator that something in the person's diet or biology or both is irritating their skin. Topically applied oils do not seem to irritate skin, but orally ingested oils do for many people.
What are some DOWNSIDES of applying fats/oils/fatty-acids topically?

Sorry, didn’t realize you addressed the sticky oleic acid sebum further down in your post! Further to that I’ve also read that the oleic acid can cause an over production of skin cells which clogs the pores even more. Any oil that is over 25% oleic does this by disrupting the skin barrier.

I agree with you, I think there could be some benefit to using linoleic oils topically in certain situations.

For example, cleansing. I’ve been following a brand that sells a sunflower based cleansing oil combined with a surfactant. The testimonials on this oil are insane - they claim it “dislodges and prevents further congestion formation” and it has actually won awards. So I have to believe that there is something to this linoleic acid thing. (That said you wouldn’t want to cleanse with sunflower oil alone, you need the surfactant for it to be effective)

But I definitely would not apply a linoleic oil like sunflower oil alone as “moisturizer”. It wouldn’t be safe during the daytime with UV exposure, plus oil on its own is not good for the skin. The skin barrier needs ceramides, fatty acids and cholesterol in balance.

Sadly finding a moisturizer that actually has those 3 ingredients is next to impossible, especially for acne prone skin. I think if there was a properly formulated cream with these 3 components including linoleic acid, and nothing comedogenic, it would be beneficial for acne prone skin to use. Just as long as it was “fresh” and used up within a few months of opening the jar.

Ras

For example, cleansing. I’ve been following a brand that sells a sunflower based cleansing oil combined with a surfactant. The testimonials on this oil are insane - they claim it “dislodges and prevents further congestion formation” and it has actually won awards.
What is the product?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals