DBCoast’s Recovery Log

LadyRae

One of the best statements I've ever seen!
Haha! Thanks! Maybe my fast recovery had more to do with the placenta than the chlorophyll? I spoke a bit more about My placenta encapsulation experience in the recent progesterone thread...

remnant

Haha! Thanks! Maybe my fast recovery had more to do with the placenta than the chlorophyll? I spoke a bit more about My placenta encapsulation experience in the recent progesterone thread...
I would think so. The placenta contains every nutrient imaginable, so I can see it replenishing your body quicker, and more thoroughly, than any other substance.
I'll go read and learn more about it in that thread :) Thanks for sharing!

Jonk

How many eggs are you eating a day? I remember when I had insomnia as its worst, I fell asleep almost comically fast after eating a big bowl of spinach. I'm thinking it might be the betaine, which is kind of scarce in most foods. Makes me think there might be some extra requirement in the methylation process. I can see your foods are the standard Peat-approved types, but don't be scared to venture a little "out of the box".

Betaine-1-1024x664.jpg

OP
D

DBCoast

How many eggs are you eating a day? I remember when I had insomnia as its worst, I fell asleep almost comically fast after eating a big bowl of spinach. I'm thinking it might be the betaine, which is kind of scarce in most foods. Makes me think there might be some extra requirement in the methylation process. I can see your foods are the standard Peat-approved types, but don't be scared to venture a little "out of the box".

View attachment 47578
2 eggs every morning

OP
D

DBCoast

Have an appt with a functional medicine doctor today which I believe will be a waste of time and money, but I don’t know what else to do.

Initially I canceled this appointment, but have decided to try it.

What are some tests that you would suggest?

Korven

View attachment 47578

Wow wheat bran is the king of betaine sources.

I have been feeling rather good lately having "fiber-havregryn" for breakfast which is oatmeal with wheat bran mixed in. Just 10-20 g wheat bran per day is more than 200 mg betaine. My homocysteine was slightly elevated so I am trying to lower it with methyl support nutrients, and betaine seems to be a powerful methyl donor.

Bluebell

Have an appt with a functional medicine doctor today which I believe will be a waste of time and money, but I don’t know what else to do.
If you haven't tried it already, worth doing an experiment of zero stimulants, i.e. just go cold turkey on coffee (if you want take aspirin for resulting head/body aches), so at least you can rule that out as the cause of insomnia.

Korven

Initially I canceled this appointment, but have decided to try it.

What are some tests that you would suggest?

I think redsun posted some relevant labs to check a few posts back, or I might be mistaken.

But probably the most important ones would be:

- Thyroid (free T3, free T4, TSH, maybe thyroid antibodies)
- Iron labs (hemoglobin, serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, transferrin saturation)
- Testosterone
- Parathyroid hormone
- Cholesterol
- B12/Folate
- Homocysteine
- Vitamin D
- Prolactin
- Liver enzymes (ALP, ALT)
- And if available: ceruloplasmin, plasma zinc, plasma copper, also DHEA, cortisol, estrogen.

That should give you a pretty good picture of what is going on.

OP
D

DBCoast

If you haven't tried it already, worth doing an experiment of zero stimulants, i.e. just go cold turkey on coffee (if you want take aspirin for resulting head/body aches), so at least you can rule that out as the cause of insomnia.
I will do this. It’s in my plans. I’m taking a trip for a couple weeks, but will do it once I return.

OP
D

DBCoast

I think redsun posted some relevant labs to check a few posts back, or I might be mistaken.

But probably the most important ones would be:

- Thyroid (free T3, free T4, TSH, maybe thyroid antibodies)
- Iron labs (hemoglobin, serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, transferrin saturation)
- Testosterone
- Parathyroid hormone
- Cholesterol
- B12/Folate
- Homocysteine
- Vitamin D
- Prolactin
- Liver enzymes (ALP, ALT)
- And if available: ceruloplasmin, plasma zinc, plasma copper, also DHEA, cortisol, estrogen.

That should give you a pretty good picture of what is going on.
Yes, @redsun did. Appreciate the list.

Jonk

2 eggs every morning
Might be worth a shot increasing choline and/or betaine and see how you feel. I think Chris Masterjohn wrote that you can get about half the daily req for choline from betaine. Another one is folate which I think is kind of easy to get too little of on the standard Peat diet. I have to drink about 2 liters orange juice a day to get the minimum. Choline/folate/betaine is closely related in methylation processes from my vague understanding, and deficiency in one might increase the need for another.

Jonk

Wow wheat bran is the king of betaine sources.

I have been feeling rather good lately having "fiber-havregryn" for breakfast which is oatmeal with wheat bran mixed in. Just 10-20 g wheat bran per day is more than 200 mg betaine. My homocysteine was slightly elevated so I am trying to lower it with methyl support nutrients, and betaine seems to be a powerful methyl donor.
Yes apparently haha! Oh I didn't know that mix was on the shelves, I might try that. Doesn't say what amount is oatmeal and what is wheat bran hmm. But yeah okay I read that too about homocysteine and betaine might be something there - considering how easy it is to get too little choline and betaine in the diet.

Korven

Yes, @redsun did. Appreciate the list.

You're welcome! Also I think I forgot to reply about caloric intake in the other thread. I don't think you necessarily have to go "all in" or gorge yourself on food (not saying that is what you have been doing), it's more about meeting your energy needs on a daily basis. If energy is not being supplied in adequate amounts then the body will perceive it as a stressful situation and ramps up adrenaline and cortisol levels. Hence why it probably not a good idea to be in a large caloric deficit when you are having sleep issues. Again, no need to go "all in" and eat until you feel uncomfortable, however I think it could be worth going up to at least maintenance calories for a few weeks and assess sleep quality. I understand the concerns about not wanting to gain excess body fat, but maybe that problem can be dealt with when sleep has improved?

edit: Also I think you are doing a great job with experimenting and listening to your body! It has taken me so many years to get to a place where I feel good most days (...maybe because I am stubborn and dumb?). Getting healthy is not easy, and it often takes a lot of time to figure out your own unique needs/context, so even if you feel like things aren't improving I can see you are on the right track!

Last edited:

LadyRae

You're welcome! Also I think I forgot to reply about caloric intake in the other thread. I don't think you necessarily have to go "all in" or gorge yourself on food (not saying that is what you have been doing), it's more about meeting your energy needs on a daily basis. If energy is not being supplied in adequate amounts then the body will perceive it as a stressful situation and ramps up adrenaline and cortisol levels. Hence why it probably not a good idea to be in a large caloric deficit when you are having sleep issues. Again, no need to go "all in" and eat until you feel uncomfortable, however I think it could be worth going up to at least maintenance calories for a few weeks and assess sleep quality. I understand the concerns about not wanting to gain excess body fat, but maybe that problem can be dealt with when sleep has improved?
Definitely a balanced approach here 👆💥

OP
D

DBCoast

@Korven Thanks for that. This last month using chronometer has been good for me to determine what cals and macros look like in a day. I’ve been trying to lose some excess weight that I put on after stopping CrossFit by doing a deficit of 500 cals. I agree that it’s not doing me any favors in the sleep department. So, my plan will be to still balance macros, but to sort of intuitively eat (which I know can mean many things), avoid pufa, get a lot of sun, walk, and see how it goes. I’ve been listening to my hunger/satiety signals more and will be more mindful. If I’m craving a macro, I’ll eat more of it. If I’m no longer hungry, then I’m done. My sleep has not improved at all since trying this latest diet of Peat foods with caloric deficit. I actually feel worse.

I guess I’ll have to lose the weight later. I have to make sleep my first priority.

remnant

@Korven Thanks for that. This last month using chronometer has been good for me to determine what cals and macros look like in a day. I’ve been trying to lose some excess weight that I put on after stopping CrossFit by doing a deficit of 500 cals. I agree that it’s not doing me any favors in the sleep department. So, my plan will be to still balance macros, but to sort of intuitively eat (which I know can mean many things), avoid pufa, get a lot of sun, walk, and see how it goes. I’ve been listening to my hunger/satiety signals more and will be more mindful. If I’m craving a macro, I’ll eat more of it. If I’m no longer hungry, then I’m done. My sleep has not improved at all since trying this latest diet of Peat foods with caloric deficit. I actually feel worse.

I guess I’ll have to lose the weight later. I have to make sleep my first priority.
Sleep, and happiness sir.
If you want to exercise more, you should do so. I think we cause ourselves "paralysis by analysis" sometimes.
I'll forever advocate weight training as the best mode of exercise on the planet. No need to try and break world records, but 30-45 minutes, two to three times a week, sounds good to me.

OP
D

DBCoast

Sick of gaining weight. What am I supposed to do? Folks said a 500cal deficit is horrible. Will my body magically morph into not being fat if I eat enough calories? This is something I can’t understand.

I’m considering going lower carb again and increasing exercise. The mental health aspect of not being fat is worth it to me.

Dutchie

Keep in mind that adequate quality sleep helps with weightloss, so even when not being in (such a high) deficit, you're indirectly still working on weightloss by improving sleep. ;)

LadyRae

Sick of gaining weight. What am I supposed to do? Folks said a 500cal deficit is horrible. Will my body magically morph into not being fat if I eat enough calories? This is something I can’t understand.

I’m considering going lower carb again and increasing exercise. The mental health aspect of not being fat is worth it to me.
Have you spent some time thoroughly searching and reading threads within the forum here regarding fat loss? I remember a really interesting thread from
Thebigpeatowski. She isn't active on the form anymore but she had a really interesting experience losing fat and she detailed it for everyone and answered tons of questions...

Having been in your exact situation, no, your body is not going to magically get rid of that because you're eating more carbs. In fact it can take many years for people to be able to metabolize the high levels of carbs that a lot of folks here advocate. ( I feel the best when I keep my protein moderately high, fats low, and carbs moderate unless I'm really active that day)

I think that you should go with your intuition and add back in some exercise that you enjoy, and lower your carbohydrates a bit. See how you feel. I think that your mental state is extremely important here.

Back when I was in graduate school for my psychology degree, and I was working with anorexic teenage girls, their doctors were very adamant that they should never gain weight quickly. Fast regain of weight after a period of restriction will really screw with the mind, and the girls that would regain weight the quickest would inevitably relapse.

Somewhere in another thread on here this morning I read this great quote:

"If it feels good it's good for you. If it feels bad, it's bad for you" @gaze

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals