Joe Rogan Carnivore Diet Update

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Anyone here doing an animal-based Peat diet???
Yes, it will be 2 years for me next week. I do use honey for carbs instead of milk though. I have about 5 plants I tolerate but they aren’t a huge part of my diet and don’t seem to offer me any benefits beyond a little variety now and then. It’s going well.

Korven

Yes, it will be 2 years for me next week. I do use honey for carbs instead of milk though. I have about 5 plants I tolerate but they aren’t a huge part of my diet and don’t seem to offer me any benefits beyond a little variety now and then. It’s going well.

Awesome to hear it's working so well for you 2 years in!

The only nagging concern(s) keeping me from switching over to mostly animal foods are the potential long-term effects of eating too much red meat/fat/phosphorous/iron and not enough fruit/carbohydrate/fiber/polyphenols. But I must say I feel and function so much better on a carnivore style diet (with milk). My body just feels way more resilient and I can go for walks without CFS crashing and horrible fatigue. There's something in plants that my body doesn't agree with.

In my opinion Shawn Baker looks great for 54 years old, eating nothing but 3-5 lbs of meat every day for 5 years
View: https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1393222083132334085

jet9

Could you please describe your typical meals / day of eating? thx

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Could you please describe your typical meals / day of eating? thx
Sure. Typically I eat two meals—one in the morning and one in the evening. The two meals is just in the last 2 months and before that it was usually 3. I mainly eat locally sourced grass fed beef or lamb raised by a family I’ve known for years. They throw in free beef and lamb fat because no one wants it. I usually have about 1 pound of meat per day (I’m small). I don’t exclude any meat though so if I’m at someone’s home and they serve chicken, pork or venison I will gladly eat it or even buy and cook it myself if that’s what my husband wants to eat. I also have been having eggs and cheese over the last year. The first year was basically strict meat only carnivore (with some honey) and this past year I added eggs and cheese mainly for practical purposes while working 12 hour shifts and mandatory overtime. I also started testing other foods to see what I could tolerate. I eat seafood too occasionally. Mushrooms, onions, cucumber, radishes and a little avocado doesn’t seem to bother me.

jet9

Sure. Typically I eat two meals—one in the morning and one in the evening. The two meals is just in the last 2 months and before that it was usually 3. I mainly eat locally sourced grass fed beef or lamb raised by a family I’ve known for years. They throw in free beef and lamb fat because no one wants it. I usually have about 1 pound of meat per day (I’m small). I don’t exclude any meat though so if I’m at someone’s home and they serve chicken, pork or venison I will gladly eat it or even buy and cook it myself if that’s what my husband wants to eat. I also have been having eggs and cheese over the last year. The first year was basically strict meat only carnivore (with some honey) and this past year I added eggs and cheese mainly for practical purposes while working 12 hour shifts and mandatory overtime. I also started testing other foods to see what I could tolerate. I eat seafood too occasionally. Mushrooms, onions, cucumber, radishes and a little avocado doesn’t seem to bother me.
Thank you for detailed reply. I also like to have few meals :)
So you tolerate honey, and some veggies (the ones you listed), but you don't tolerate fruits well?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you for detailed reply. I also like to have few meals :)
So you tolerate honey, and some veggies (the ones you listed), but you don't tolerate fruits well?
No, I think it’s possibly high amounts fructose in a short period of time. I have to mix the honey in water and drink it through out the day.

Nemo

So if that’s the case how was Stefansson able to eat just meat for a whole year and be monitored by doctors at a New York hospital and remain in good health. This notion that everyone on the carnivore diet crashes seems overblown and the exaggeration of a few anecdotal reports. Obviously I’m not dismissing those who do have the experience of crashing on the diet, but something else must be going on in those people to produce that effect, as many others do fine.

I was monitored by doctors for a whole year. I had brain cancer and sinus cancer, with the sinus cancer all but sticking out of my nose, and they thought I had sinusitis.

Carnivore diet crashes are the inevitable result of the carnivore diet.

Nemo

Why is he even doing it?

Logic would assume he's not having perfect health and want to try something else to see if it resolves said problems.
What's wrong with trying?
What's wrong with a carnivore diet?

Practically everyone on these forums has almost died of a low-carb diet. You really want to go there?

Nemo

I can see why people do this diet. Something that a ton of people say while they're carnivore is the lack of bloating, which some people have had for a long time. You really can't blame someone for looking for relief, especially from digestive issues. I myself have been thinking about doing it for a while, but I'm afraid that I'll end hurting myself in the long run, due to less CO2, less thyroid hormone, more ammonia due to gluconeogenesis( and ammonia needs CO2 to turn into urea). I guess that's all that I'm worried about when it comes to a carnivore diet. Otherwise, it seems awesome. Stefansson did this diet for a long time and, as @Wichway? said, he remained healthy, and there are people who have eaten like this for years and are fine. Groups of people like the Inuit have eaten like this for generations too, although there is the confounding factor of big amounts of omega-3 consumption, which may account for some bad things they were suffering from, such as looking older than they really are. The Mongolians also eat basically meat, meat fat and milk, right? Not zero carb, but not high carb either. They seem healthy, although I'm open to evidence of the contrary.

I'm probably gonna try it one day, honestly, to see how I feel on it.

Usually herding tribes are heavily into milk, not meat. (Think the Masai.) Some meat is eaten to keep milk production high.

When my sister went to Mongolia, she was fed milk and fermented milk constantly.

And Mongolia's empires were sustained by grains: millets.

Anecdotes from people who supposedly did fine on meat for years are frankly not credible in the face of the research presented by Ray.

Nemo

I would like to point out to all the people who think the carnivore diet must be synonymous with zero carbohydrate that shellfish tends to have carbohydrates.

Always fun when Ray Peat Forum goes crazy with a meat rebellion.

I don't love the source below but they are referring to other studies and seem to be quoting them accurately. When they went to do a study of the great health of the Masai, only 3 out of 400 men were over age 55.

So carnivore is great if you want to die young.

Women and children ate meat only 1 to 5 times a month:

An earlier study showed 80% of men over 40 had severe fibrosis of their aorta. 50 autopsied men had extensive atherosclerosis.

A study of Greenland in 1976 found the Inuit got 37% of their calories from carbs. Other studies going back to the late 1930s show their diet was 53% carbs.

The bone health of the Inuit sucks. The claims about their heart health seem poorly founded.

More references through the link.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
i see, thank you!
You’re welcome. I was very reluctant to do it and thought about it for a year before deciding to give it a try. I definitely don’t think it’s for everyone but in my situation it’s allowed me to be able to work full time again, regain strength and just overall have a better quality of life.

jet9

You’re welcome. I was very reluctant to do it and thought about it for a year before deciding to give it a try. I definitely don’t think it’s for everyone but in my situation it’s allowed me to be able to work full time again, regain strength and just overall have a better quality of life.
good job on experimenting and finding what works for your body!
another question if you don't mind :) how fatty are the cuts of meat you eat?
Do i understand it right that calorie wise fats (animal fats) is your primary source of energy now?

tankasnowgod

Ray is 85 and going strong.

If you're 78, 80 is a fairly young age.

It certainly isn't "young" going by Average Life Expectancy-

There are only 17 countries, currently, where men are expected to live over 80 on average.

Ray is 85, meaning he exceeded the average life expectancy of every country on Earth (except maybe Monaco). Steffanson died at 82, and at that age, would have also exceeded the current year average male life expectancy of every country on Earth (except possibly Singapore and Monaco, according to CIA estimates).

I guess you could claim Shirali Muslimov died "young" at only 168 years old. After all, there are much longer lifespans claimed in the Bible. But it's pretty clear that if he did reach that age, he would be in quite rare company, at least going by current lifespan estimates.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
good job on experimenting and finding what works for your body!
another question if you don't mind :) how fatty are the cuts of meat you eat?
Do i understand it right that calorie wise fats (animal fats) is your primary source of energy now?
Thank you, yes generally 70-75% of my calories are from animal fats. The grass fed meat is leaner so I usually add fat.

jondoeuk

Awesome to hear it's working so well for you 2 years in!

The only nagging concern(s) keeping me from switching over to mostly animal foods are the potential long-term effects of eating too much red meat/fat/phosphorous/iron and not enough fruit/carbohydrate/fiber/polyphenols. But I must say I feel and function so much better on a carnivore style diet (with milk). My body just feels way more resilient and I can go for walks without CFS crashing and horrible fatigue. There's something in plants that my body doesn't agree with.

In my opinion Shawn Baker looks great for 54 years old, eating nothing but 3-5 lbs of meat every day for 5 years
View: https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1393222083132334085

Baker may look ''great'' (I'd be surprised if he wasn't on TRT), but a quick search showed in the past his HbA1c was 6.3, had fasting glucose of 126 mg/dL and fasting insulin was 2.6 mIU/L. So, pretty much prediabetic. Also, LDL was 141, which is borderline high. Hardly healthy.

Sefton10

Baker may look ''great'' (I'd be surprised if he wasn't on TRT), but a quick search showed in the past his HbA1c was 6.3, had fasting glucose of 126 mg/dL and fasting insulin was 2.6 mIU/L. So, pretty much prediabetic. Also, LDL was 141, which is borderline high. Hardly healthy.
Given the intensity of workouts he does I’m amazed he hasn’t tanked yet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals