Gelatin (Now brand) indigestion

L

LiveLaughLove

Well, I suppose I’m a great N1 for Now Brands gelatin. I’ve used it for well over a year as my sole source of Gelatin.
——
TLDR: Now Brands left me with bad results, beef tendons do fine. Looking at Knox Brand gelatin. I’ve suggested it to people on this forum cuz it’s so cheap, but, now please reconsider, as I believe it considerably hindered my progress!
——

Over the months I Worked my dose up to approximately 50:50 gelatin and red meat.

Over this time I battled weekly with diarrhea and bloody stools. this has been a constant event since carnivore, unrelated to gelatin consumption, so I just kept working toward building gut strength with supps and diet.

Based on some people’s experiences with improving colon inflammation and 40 grams of gelatin a day, I upped my dose to match, and got considerably worse digestive issues. I’m aware this could possibly be the protein imbalance creating ammonia, but I believe my digestive issues were being effected before this but did not connect it.

This led me to research the brand and sure enough, someone said silica was an unlisted ingredient in the Now Brand gelatin! I have no proof of this or course.
I got off it and within 2 days my stools were solid again.

I’ve been cooking beef tendon for about a month now (insanely expensive), and not having the same digestive problems, and feeling better when I keep my gelatin up as opposed to going without.

I talked to Kraft foods customer service for Knox brand gelatin, and the guy said he couldn’t find anything saying they manufacture it with silica, and showed no unlisted ingredients. He says they don’t have any unlisted ingredients for what that’s worth.

To any folks I’ve suggested now brands to, and if your digestive symptoms have persisted, I apologize if you’ve been as hindered by now brands as I!

Let me know if any of you have a trusted clean source for gelatin!

OP
L

LiveLaughLove

@Rinse & rePeat of course!

It’s surprisingly hard to find a quality gelatin source, between claims of heavy metal and unlisted anti-caking agents!

Jennifer

Let me know if any of you have a trusted clean source for gelatin!

I’ve been using this gelatin in my recipes for a couple of years now:

I chose it based on this review:

I’ve been using this gelatin in my recipes for a couple of years now:

I chose it based on this review:

Thanks for the article Jennifer!