Overdosed on DHEA and Progesterone

Ashoka

Hello everyone,

I seem to have seriously overdosed on DHEA and progesterone the last few days and the effects are very negative. I’m really physically and mentally overstimulated, and because I’ve already been under so much stress, I feel like I’m in a bad situation. My whole body is tense, I feel like I’m overheating and nauseous, and I’ve lost my appetite. I don’t know if there’s anything that can be done in the event of taking far too much of these hormones. I’m quite afraid and don’t know what to do. Any advice would be highly appreciated about what to do when the effects of hormone supplementation start becoming really negative like this.

Thank you so much.

GodsHound

Whenever I over do it with um pro-metabolic substances and trigger a stress response my go-to is a passion flower and chamomile tea with lots of honey. Just what works for me.

GodsHound

Also if you had swollen thyroid gland due to hypothyroidism, progesterone can elicit a sudden release of thyroid hormone from the glad as it shrinks and produce a temporary hyperthyroid state. If you think you are hyperthyroid you could try eating a lot of liver and I think cabbage juice?

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

Whenever I over do it with um pro-metabolic substances and trigger a stress response my go-to is a passion flower and chamomile tea with lots of honey. Just what works for me.
Thank you for that suggestion. I think anything that calms the nerves would probably be helpful. Probably I will try to get something like that tonight. I think I’d be too wary of trying explicitly anti-thyroid like the cabbage juice.

I’m just surprised this isn’t talked about more, because I think it’s something most of us have faced.

I’m guessing the problem is mainly the conversion to stress hormones? Like I’m now experiencing high adrenaline, estrogen, etc? Or it ramped up my metabolism in a way I can’t support? I’m not sure which way to look at it. I’m not proud to say it, but I feel afraid and totally overwhelmed.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

Just take some high-dose Cypro, that would knock you out.
Thanks, I may take some cypro. I’m just not sure it’ll help for the level of overstimulation I feel. It’s worse than being wound up on coffee when you’re already totally exhausted.

I have problems with chronic illness (symptoms of lyme disease and other chronic infections), so I’m already worn down.

miquelangeles

Cholestyramine, laxatives, activated charcoal, carrot salad, wheat bran, but make sure the bran will not constipate you.
Hormones are recycled through bile, and all of the above will bind them for excretion.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

Cholestyramine, laxatives, activated charcoal, carrot salad, wheat bran, but make sure the bran will not constipate you.
Hormones are recycled through bile, and all of the above will bind them for excretion.
Thank you. Do you really think something like cholestyramine or the binders would help to quickly mop up excess hormones like that? I’ve just never tried it and wonder how effective it is. I’m a little afraid to take the charcoal because I think I still need nutrition and I want something to get absorbed. So carrot salad and wheat bran might be worth a try.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

I just wanted to update and say it’s partly wore off on its own over the course of the day. But this is just another reminder to everyone reading to take these things slow and not rush forward expecting better results. Try to be patient always with these kinds of substances.

miquelangeles

Thank you. Do you really think something like cholestyramine or the binders would help to quickly mop up excess hormones like that? I’ve just never tried it and wonder how effective it is. I’m a little afraid to take the charcoal because I think I still need nutrition and I want something to get absorbed. So carrot salad and wheat bran might be worth a try.
Yes, they work fast as long as your bowels are moving. Cholestyramine is used to decrease thyroid hormones in hyperthyroidism. Charcoal causes deficiencies only if taken every day for long periods. Other than that it may disturb the microbiome, but it’s very safe.

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

Yes, they work fast as long as your bowels are moving. Cholestyramine is used to decrease thyroid hormones in hyperthyroidism. Charcoal causes deficiencies only if taken every day for long periods. Other than that it may disturb the microbiome, but it’s very safe.
Amazing, thanks so much for sharing. That would be something important for everyone on the forum to know.

InChristAlone

If you have chronic illness I'd steer clear of extra hormones. I think the Ray Peat recommendations are dangerous for people in a weak state. Other than making sure you consume enough carbs and high quality protein I'm not sure what he can offer someone like this. I went through yrs of burnout trying the Ray Peat stuff. He does recommend a small dose of cyproheptadine which did the most for me when my nervous system wouldn't calm down, but what I really needed was to drop the OJ and sugar, consume more soluble fibers and starches that are more gentle on the blood sugar and liver and red meat for zinc to build my body back up. Ray's diet is high copper to zinc which will burn you out and make it very hard for the liver and systems to recover. He must be a fast oxidizer and thus believes everyone can tolerate cups and cups of coffee, weekly liver and shellfish and loads of calcium from milk, but for slow oxidizers this is extremely bad. The nervous system will get overstimulated from the copper and you will feel like you sink further and further in chronic illness. Not to mention the number of ppl struggling with hypervitaminosis A from recommendations on the forum. Necessitating heavy hormone use. Then the mineral imbalances will become deeper and you will be dependent on hormones to save you.

Sorry for the rant. It just really makes me sad for those listening to Ray.

Matestube

If you have chronic illness I'd steer clear of extra hormones. I think the Ray Peat recommendations are dangerous for people in a weak state. Other than making sure you consume enough carbs and high quality protein I'm not sure what he can offer someone like this. I went through yrs of burnout trying the Ray Peat stuff. He does recommend a small dose of cyproheptadine which did the most for me when my nervous system wouldn't calm down, but what I really needed was to drop the OJ and sugar, consume more soluble fibers and starches that are more gentle on the blood sugar and liver and red meat for zinc to build my body back up. Ray's diet is high copper to zinc which will burn you out and make it very hard for the liver and systems to recover. He must be a fast oxidizer and thus believes everyone can tolerate cups and cups of coffee, weekly liver and shellfish and loads of calcium from milk, but for slow oxidizers this is extremely bad. The nervous system will get overstimulated from the copper and you will feel like you sink further and further in chronic illness. Not to mention the number of ppl struggling with hypervitaminosis A from recommendations on the forum. Necessitating heavy hormone use. Then the mineral imbalances will become deeper and you will be dependent on hormones to save you.

I beg to differ.
I have chronic candida and liver issues that make me a really poor food absorber and my joints and ligaments have become weak.

Heavy testosterone use for the past 2 years has strengthened a lot my bone/muscle/joint structure and I'm back to being physically very functional.

InChristAlone

I beg to differ.
I have chronic candida and liver issues that make me a really poor food absorber and my joints and ligaments have become weak.

Heavy testosterone use for the past 2 years has strengthened a lot my bone/muscle/joint structure and I'm back to being physically very functional.
Long-term use doesn't show good effects. But I'm glad you are functional now, some people are under producers of hormones, but this is the exception. Most have too much estrogen and a clogged up liver making more hormone use not good for the long term. Did you take an aromatase inhibitor?

Matestube

Long-term use doesn't show good effects. But I'm glad you are functional now, some people are under producers of hormones, but this is the exception. Most have too much estrogen and a clogged up liver making more hormone use not good for the long term. Did you take an aromatase inhibitor?
Nope.
I have naturally low estrogen, so I thank testosterone for the extra estrogens it brings.

InChristAlone

Nope.
I have naturally low estrogen, so I thank testosterone for the extra estrogens it brings.
Then you are the exception. Glad you figured it out and are doing much better.

Matestube

Then you are the exception. Glad you figured it out and are doing much better.
Satistically yes, although it's a bunch of us on mesorx and propeciahelp suffering from low e2.
But complainers are always more heard, I hear what you mean by "exception" :)

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

I hear you on some of these things seeming problematic. I actually don’t eat or supplement that way because I know I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I just eat to increase the metabolic rate in a way that works for me.

Satistically yes, although it's a bunch of us on mesorx and propeciahelp suffering from low e2.
But complainers are always more heard, I hear what you mean by "exception" :)

I also experienced post-finasteride issues. What’s been helping you the most?

Matestube

I hear you on some of these things seeming problematic. I actually don’t eat or supplement that way because I know I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I just eat to increase the metabolic rate in a way that works for me.

I also experienced post-finasteride issues. What’s been helping you the most?
I never took finasteride. I suffer from post-exemestane syndrome.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals