Taurine Issues - Please Help

fever257

So this month i tried to incorporate taurine supplementation into my diet.

I’ve already been working to consume less fats as Ray Peat generally advises low fat intake, and Danny Roddy’s “what i eat in a day” was indicative of pretry low fat intake. i’ve switched from whole to 2% to fat free milk, and i’m consuming less cheese which has fats. The only fats i get now are in my daily eggs with butter, as well as the meat i cook with butter. there are a few exceptions but intake is low.

however, whenever i take taurine (500mg and even 250mg), i get explosive diarrhea every time. It’s bad. like run to the bathroom and hope i make it bad. i don’t know why taurine has this effect on me and i’m wondering if anyone else has had issues with this.

do i have to work my way up to those amounts? am i having issues with bile or fat metabolism? in general, i think i still have some sort(s) of metabolic issue(s) still happening, and i don’t know what they could be. maybe i have insulin resistance or something idk.

anyway, i really want to use this substance as it’s supposed to be really beneficial and helpful.

Does anyone have any thoughts? PLEASE share. thank you guys so much!

Parrot

How did you arrive at that dose?

I take 1/4 tsp (a little over 1 gram) of taurine and have no issues whatsoever.

Whichway?

I take between 2-5 grams per day and never had that issue. Maybe your supplement quality is poor?

yerrag

You can try putting it in your drinking water, and start with a small amount, say 1g, and then work your way up.

Whichway?

Which brand do you use Wichway and where do yo source it from?

I'm in Australia and here we have a regulatory body called the Therapeutic Goods Administration which regulates the supplement industry, so thankfully most supplements have to comply to a high quality standard. Mine is a powder from a brand called Urban Muscle.

If cost is no issue and you want to source the cleanest supplements you can then I would recommend Thorne Research or Pure Encapsulations. Both of which you should be able to source through Amazon or iHerb.

@fever257 I had a similar issue when I first used taurine. I don't know exactly what was the cause.
I remember when I first tried to take 1g for one dose, I also experienced the very loose bowel movements.
One thing is just to check if you are eating something around the same time that may cause that (e.g., milk with lactose can cause that for people).

However, I found that the issue wasn't tied to any specific food.
But, after taking 1g in a single dose everyday for around one week, those very loose bowel movements stopped.

I was then able to take 1.5g in a single dose for a few days, and then did 2g in a single dose for around a week, without any of those types of BMs.

When I tried taking 3g in a single dose, the next morning I had one of the loose BMs. But the next day or so, I was able to take 3g in a single dose and then 1g as a separate dose later in the day, without any of those BMs. I soon could do 3g in the morn and 3g around dinner and didn't experience those original loose BMs.

I remember reading some cases of people who were taking TUDCA and initially experienced funky (loose/explosive) stools. As taurine seems to have similar effects as TUDCA (TUDCA ), perhaps there is a similar mechanism at play when taking taurine and having had similar conditions that are treated by TUDCA.

Another post from haidut related to taurine: "taurine strongly stimulates bile production and in some people this may lead to gut irritation and loose stools." Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

The other thing I would mention is that keep an eye on your potassium intake, as I found I needed more after taking higher doses of taurine. I would get the typical adrenaline symptoms (cold nose, cold hands) but those were almost instantly alleviated once I took some potassium citrate (0.5g to 1.5g). Of course, take care if supplementing potassium.

I hope this helps.

lampofred

What causes endogenous taurine production to decline in the first place? Just hypothyroidism or is there anything more specific?

Parrot

I'm in Australia and here we have a regulatory body called the Therapeutic Goods Administration which regulates the supplement industry, so thankfully most supplements have to comply to a high quality standard. Mine is a powder from a brand called Urban Muscle.

If cost is no issue and you want to source the cleanest supplements you can then I would recommend Thorne Research or Pure Encapsulations. Both of which you should be able to source through Amazon or iHerb.

Thanks Whichway, I am also in Oz, so good to know.

Chromeo

It could be cleaning out your gallbladder/liver/intestinal tract...thus the spray action.

How do you feel after the rear the waterfall?

You could probably increase your fiber intake to slow the butt fountain action and make it bit more palatable.

As for the type of fiber?

Soluble or insoluble...it's up to you. I know some don't like soluble types of fiber due to potential gut fermentation. I get it.

Maybe low dose diatomaceous earth or rice bran solubles?
Psyllium with added drops limonene and mct to ensure it's movement?
Citrus Pectin?

Best of luck!

So this month i tried to incorporate taurine supplementation into my diet.

I’ve already been working to consume less fats as Ray Peat generally advises low fat intake, and Danny Roddy’s “what i eat in a day” was indicative of pretry low fat intake. i’ve switched from whole to 2% to fat free milk, and i’m consuming less cheese which has fats. The only fats i get now are in my daily eggs with butter, as well as the meat i cook with butter. there are a few exceptions but intake is low.

however, whenever i take taurine (500mg and even 250mg), i get explosive diarrhea every time. It’s bad. like run to the bathroom and hope i make it bad. i don’t know why taurine has this effect on me and i’m wondering if anyone else has had issues with this.

do i have to work my way up to those amounts? am i having issues with bile or fat metabolism? in general, i think i still have some sort(s) of metabolic issue(s) still happening, and i don’t know what they could be. maybe i have insulin resistance or something idk.

anyway, i really want to use this substance as it’s supposed to be really beneficial and helpful.

Does anyone have any thoughts? PLEASE share. thank you guys so much!

slightly off topic,but RP isnt low-fat.

Collden

Tried some Taurine, 1 to 1.4g, in the form of Red Bull for two days. Developed severe nighttime stomach pain and a weird grogginess. The stimulation of gastric acid by Taurine is no joke.

yerrag

I've been on 1g taurine which I dissolve in 500ml water and drink up between 6 pm and bedtime.

It gives me good sleep.

The water is carbonated and I add 1g magnesium hydroxide to it so it reacts to produce magnesium bicarbonate.

Both magnesium and taurine, I've learned is best taken on the way on the latter part of the day as they make one go to the sleepy a little side.

Estradiol

Probably from quality. Some taurine sources gave me diarrhea too. Especially packaged ones.

So i am using non-brand USP Taurine powder and and it's totally ok.