Hello - I Unknowingly Destroyed My Health

DBCoast

Hi All,

I’m a 42 yo man and I’ve made myself extremely ill over the past 10 years, specifically the past 4.5. I heard @haidut on Saladino’s podcast recently and I was like, “That’s it! That’s what happened to me!” It answered a lot of questions, and that’s how I ended up here. I’ll give a brief description of the journey.

I’ve always carried extra weight since childhood, likely due to childhood trauma I experienced. I’ve always had an all-or-nothing, extra effort, more-is-more type of personality - likely due to the trauma. I lived destructively for many years - binge drinking, bad food, etc. This all led to benzo use through grad school, and then a hellacious benzo withdrawal. I’ve been 100% alcohol and med free for almost 5 years now. Here’s where things got bad - after I stopped benzos, I started CrossFit and combined it with low carb eating and some fasting. This has made me severely ill. I had no idea I was damaging my body; I thought I was doing the opposite! And, of course, I went all out with the CrossFit given my personality. For the past 4.5 years I’ve been sicker than ever with constant insomnia and fatigue. I’ve had amazingly stressful jobs during that time too. Yes, benzo withdrawal can be protracted, but I believe my issue is a cortisol one. I feel like I’ve destroyed my body, and I’m scared. I’ve been to every type of doctor trying to fix this and nobody has helped. It took me researching on my own to discover that physical stress and mental stress act on the same system. Nobody told me that and it took me digging through all the crappy adrenal fatigue websites to figure it out. It’s interesting - I slept well twice in the past 4.5 years. Once was during my honeymoon. I had extra money, no stress, no CrossFit, and I ate a s**t load of ice cream. Unbelievable. The other time was when my daughter was born without complications - stress relieved.

I’ve been away from CrossFit for around 6 months. I went back recently and was going to do it “lightly” but it threw me back to feeling very horrible. Never again. I’m only walking now.

So there it is. I can’t begin to explain how painful these past 4.5 years of insomnia have been. I feel very sick from it, and hopefully I can get better and stick around for my daughter’s sake.

Look forward to learning from you all.

Last edited:

Jonk

Good luck man! Be careful, maybe with your predisposition to go "all in", it's easy getting into extreme variations of ""the Peat diet"", very low fat, super high carb, lots of "pro-metabolic" supplements etc etc. Try to go slow and go for low hanging fruits first, like getting vitamin D checked, getting lots of sunlight etc. Also something that's helped me is listening to "The Energy Balance podcast" on Youtube with Jay Feldman and Mike Fave. Lot's of practical advice and nuanced information, which sometimes get's lost on this forum. God bless

OP
D

DBCoast

Thanks, @Giraffe and @Jonk ! Appreciate the welcome. I’ve definitely learned that moderation is the key. Learned the hard way. I’ll check out those recommendations, @Jonk . Thanks!

Normal Human

Welcome to the forum! Happy exploring. One thing I'd like to recommend is to spend some time actually reading Ray's articles (www.RayPeat.com) as well as listening to his interviews (one of my favorite of his interviews for getting a very broad but comprehensive introduction to his thinking is "Dr Ray Peat - Hormones, Stress, PUFAs, Low Carb Diets, Fat Burning Vs. Sugar Burning, & more" on Jodellefit's YouTube channel).

The reason I say this is that I've found reading Ray's work directly to be the best way to get an understanding of his views (not surprisingly) regarding health restoration.

Best of luck!

Peachy

Good luck man! Be careful, maybe with your predisposition to go "all in", it's easy getting into extreme variations of ""the Peat diet"", very low fat, super high carb, lots of "pro-metabolic" supplements etc etc. Try to go slow and go for low hanging fruits first, like getting vitamin D checked, getting lots of sunlight etc. Also something that's helped me is listening to "The Energy Balance podcast" on Youtube with Jay Feldman and Mike Fave. Lot's of practical advice and nuanced information, which sometimes get's lost on this forum. God bless
Great advice right here

OP
D

DBCoast

Thanks, @Normal Human. I’ll definitely take that advice.

Forgot to mention in intro that I won a weight loss challenge at my CrossFit gym by doing the Zone diet. It’s 40/30/30 C/F/P. I was shocked that I could eat carbs and lose weight. Shocked. I was scared to gain weight every time I ate those carb-heavy meals, but I didn’t. Eventually I started craving fats on Zone and transitioned to more of a Weston Price style diet and that’s where I’ve loosely been for the past year or so.

Also, since the summer I’ve been doing full body sun exposure almost daily. That has made the biggest difference and increased my tanked libido.

Limon9

Hi All,

I’m a 42 yo man and I’ve made myself extremely ill over the past 10 years, specifically the past 4.5. I heard @haidut on Saladino’s podcast recently and I was like, “That’s it! That’s what happened to me!” It answered a lot of questions, and that’s how I ended up here. I’ll give a brief description of the journey.

I’ve always carried extra weight since childhood, likely due to childhood trauma I experienced. I’ve always had an all-or-nothing, extra effort, more-is-more type of personality - likely due to the trauma. I lived destructively for many years - binge drinking, bad food, etc. This all led to benzo use through grad school, and then a hellacious benzo withdrawal. I’ve been 100% alcohol and med free for almost 5 years now. Here’s where things got bad - after I stopped benzos, I started CrossFit and combined it with low carb eating and some fasting. This has made me severely ill. I had no idea I was damaging my body; I thought I was doing the opposite! And, of course, I went all out with the CrossFit given my personality. For the past 4.5 years I’ve been sicker than ever with constant insomnia and fatigue. I’ve had amazingly stressful jobs during that time too. Yes, benzo withdrawal can be protracted, but I believe my issue is a cortisol one. I feel like I’ve destroyed my body, and I’m scared. I’ve been to every type of doctor trying to fix this and nobody has helped. It took me researching on my own to discover that physical stress and mental stress act on the same system. Nobody told me that and it took me digging through all the crappy adrenal fatigue websites to figure it out. It’s interesting - I slept well twice in the past 4.5 years. Once was during my honeymoon. I had extra money, no stress, no CrossFit, and I ate a s**t load of ice cream. Unbelievable. The other time was when my daughter was born without complications - stress relieved.

I’ve been away from CrossFit for around 6 months. I went back recently and was going to do it “lightly” but it threw me back to feeling very horrible. Never again. I’m only walking now.

So there it is. I can’t begin to explain how painful these past 4.5 years of insomnia have been. I feel very sick from it, and hopefully I can get better and stick around for my daughter’s sake.

Look forward to learning from you all.
Welcome. Mileage on this forum may vary. Some accounts are wise and helpful, yet I would recommend reading Ray Peat's articles before taking random advice too credulously.

AlaskaJono

Welcome. Mileage on this forum may vary. Some accounts are wise and helpful, yet I would recommend reading Ray Peat's articles before taking random advice too credulously.
@DBCoast Welcome and as Limon9 states, most definitely read from Ray directly, raypeat.com and listen to the various interviews, Q+A, and use the search function on this site. What works for some does not always work for others, and at the same time support you may find here is not available elsewhere. ;-))

area51puy

Forum Supporter
Thanks, @Normal Human. I’ll definitely take that advice.

Forgot to mention in intro that I won a weight loss challenge at my CrossFit gym by doing the Zone diet. It’s 40/30/30 C/F/P. I was shocked that I could eat carbs and lose weight. Shocked. I was scared to gain weight every time I ate those carb-heavy meals, but I didn’t. Eventually I started craving fats on Zone and transitioned to more of a Weston Price style diet and that’s where I’ve loosely been for the past year or so.

Also, since the summer I’ve been doing full body sun exposure almost daily. That has made the biggest difference and increased my tanked libido.
Thanks, @Giraffe and @Jonk ! Appreciate the welcome. I’ve definitely learned that moderation is the key. Learned the hard way. I’ll check out those recommendations, @Jonk . Thanks!
If you like podcast and hear more of georgi he is on most of the generative energy podcast with Danny roddy which you can find on Spotify and apple podcast and some of them on YouTube.

OP
D

DBCoast

If you like podcast and hear more of georgi he is on most of the generative energy podcast with Danny roddy which you can find on Spotify and apple podcast and some of them on YouTube.
Ok, great. Podcast format would work best for me. I’ll give them a listen.

LadyRae

Ok, great. Podcast format would work best for me. I’ll give them a listen.
Welcome!

A few days ago I was listening to a podcast and what really stood out to me was when Georgi Dinkov explain that when we are younger, we can handle stressful eating habits, low carb, intense exercise, etc because cortisol is balanced by proper androgen production. As we age however, our bodies struggle to make the same levels of androgens and so cortisol just skyrockets, leading to a catabolic state, insomnia, and other issues like you were experiencing...

This also happened to me about 5 years ago (I'm 45 now). I was running all the time, eating pretty much zero carbohydrates, and intermittent fasting, including several day fasts several times a month. Ouch. Lost my menstrual cycle, couldn't sleep, felt horrible...

It's taken a few years for me to heal. I recommend going slowly with anything new. Be kind to yourself. The walking sounds great for starters...

Make sure anything you eat is easily digestible for you, regardless of what anyone else recommends for food. And small meals often throughout the day work better because you don't want to overeat at any one sitting. I believe that overeating and high fat consumption is why a lot of people gain a bunch of weight fast when they add carbohydrates back in...

Kind regards and keep us posted!

Jonk

Make sure anything you eat is easily digestible for you, regardless of what anyone else recommends for food.
I agree with this. I would also go a step further and say meal frequency and amount of fat may vary a lot between individuals. I would tend to agree with smaller meals and not too high fat, but this still lacks some nuance for people like me with a disconnect in intuition haha. For example, there is some reason to have solid meals a few times a day to let the peristaltic movements operate naturally, and having a decent amount of fat with each meal might help with several digestive functions. It might seem like I'm nitpicking on what you're saying, but I'm not disagreeing. Just that we need to be perceptive each step of the way. For me, having about 20 grams of beef tallow with each meal make me feel good and seem to work good for my digestion. Initially this seemed like a ridiculous amount of fat, because I was convinced I need to eat as little fat as possible. Again that's just me, sorry if I'm ranting

LadyRae

I agree with this. I would also go a step further and say meal frequency and amount of fat may vary a lot between individuals. I would tend to agree with smaller meals and not too high fat, but this still lacks some nuance for people like me with a disconnect in intuition haha. For example, there is some reason to have solid meals a few times a day to let the peristaltic movements operate naturally, and having a decent amount of fat with each meal might help with several digestive functions. It might seem like I'm nitpicking on what you're saying, but I'm not disagreeing. Just that we need to be perceptive each step of the way. For me, having about 20 grams of beef tallow with each meal make me feel good and seem to work good for my digestion. Initially this seemed like a ridiculous amount of fat, because I was convinced I need to eat as little fat as possible. Again that's just me, sorry if I'm ranting
No apologizing! It does seem that fat requirements vary greatly between individuals.... I remember a really interesting post from a member whose name was something like "the big peatowski"....

Anyway she said that she lost weight and felt amazing after lowering her fat intake to almost zero. She was trying to get rid of her stored pufa. I don't think it's sustainable to eat super low fat but perhaps it can be helpful when people are transitioning out of the standard American diet...

OP
D

DBCoast

Welcome!

A few days ago I was listening to a podcast and what really stood out to me was when Georgi Dinkov explain that when we are younger, we can handle stressful eating habits, low carb, intense exercise, etc because cortisol is balanced by proper androgen production. As we age however, our bodies struggle to make the same levels of androgens and so cortisol just skyrockets, leading to a catabolic state, insomnia, and other issues like you were experiencing...

This also happened to me about 5 years ago (I'm 45 now). I was running all the time, eating pretty much zero carbohydrates, and intermittent fasting, including several day fasts several times a month. Ouch. Lost my menstrual cycle, couldn't sleep, felt horrible...

It's taken a few years for me to heal. I recommend going slowly with anything new. Be kind to yourself. The walking sounds great for starters...

Make sure anything you eat is easily digestible for you, regardless of what anyone else recommends for food. And small meals often throughout the day work better because you don't want to overeat at any one sitting. I believe that overeating and high fat consumption is why a lot of people gain a bunch of weight fast when they add carbohydrates back in...

Kind regards and keep us posted!
Yes! I believe I heard Georgi say the same thing on Saladino’s podcast. He was talking about CrossFit in your 20s and how the hormones bounce back, but once you hit your 40s they don’t and only the cortisol remains (something to this effect). I can’t tell you how sick I’ve made myself with this low carb and CrossFit lifestyle. It’s very painful. I’ve had non-stop insomnia for 4+ years, plus a slew of other symptoms - severe fatigue, night sweats, adrenaline wake-ups, wired but tired feeling, akathisia, reduced cognition, etc. Thanks for your help!

LadyRae

Yes! I believe I heard Georgi say the same thing on Saladino’s podcast. He was talking about CrossFit in your 20s and how the hormones bounce back, but once you hit your 40s they don’t and only the cortisol remains (something to this effect). I can’t tell you how sick I’ve made myself with this low carb and CrossFit lifestyle. It’s very painful. I’ve had non-stop insomnia for 4+ years, plus a slew of other symptoms - severe fatigue, night sweats, adrenaline wake-ups, wired but tired feeling, akathisia, reduced cognition, etc. Thanks for your help!
Yes, that's the one, Paul's recent interview with Georgi! Thanks! I really appreciate Paul...his experience is similar to ours. And he has a big audience so hopefully this information will keep others from wrecking themselves.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals