Danny Roddy's New Video On Baldness Is Very Interesting

It has to do with metabolism and temperature of the brain. Very very interesting.

He says he got the concepts from Dr. Peat.

Malris

I watched this, but I am left unsure.

One of the most interesting things about Peat, in my opinion, is that he takes into account the body's reaction, i.e., low blood calcium causes the body to release stress hormones to release calcium from the body and therefore raise blood calcium. So high blood calcium (probably) means you're not getting enough dietary calcium.

So how does that work with baldness and heating the brain? I think he's saying that if you're going bald, that you're not producing enough heat with your brain? But then why would the body lose hair? It seems like it would be the opposite, that you would grow more hair up there if your brain wasn't making enough heat.

Danny's a smart guy, though, so maybe I missed something. I can't ever watch videos carefully any more with three small kids running around interrupting every three seconds...

OP
ecstatichamster
Good points @Malris I don’t know. It’s just a vague assertion at this point but it makes sense to me. I think the lower heat causes high prostaglandins and cortisol in the scalp tissue and this ends up causing follicle cells to die.

People don’t go bald any other place to my knowledge, and therein lies an important clue.

But of what, I con’t know.

yoshiesque

Didn't Danny have another theory thay seemed stronger. When metabolism fails extremities are first to lose energy so hands feet and hair. Since these are not as Important as maintaining heat in other areas. Hair is also metabolically demanding.

JohnA

Didn't Danny have another theory thay seemed stronger. When metabolism fails extremities are first to lose energy so hands feet and hair. Since these are not as Important as maintaining heat in other areas. Hair is also metabolically demanding.

They are part of the same coherent theory, in mind:

1. Scalp hair is so important to brain temperature regulation that humans kept their scalp hair despite shedding hair from most of the rest of their bodies to facilitate sweating. People in warmer climates have curlier, thicker hair that blocks sun radiation and creates, as Nina Jablonski puts it, a "barrier layer of slightly cooler air next to the scalp. The scalp can then lose heat efficiently into the barrier layer through radiation and evaporation." People in colder climates have straighter, longer hair that insulate the scalp and ears and keep the brain warmer.

2. As metabolism declines for any number of reasons, blood flow to peripheral, non-essential body parts, such as hair, declines and hair follicles start to atrophy. Danny still believes this. He spent a lot of this video talking about how so many metabolic issues are correlated to baldness and why we should still focus on the metabolism boosting steps to fix baldness.

3. The loss of hair accelerates the decline in metabolism. The question of "why doesn't the body grow more scalp hair to warm the brain?" is a good one, but I think that's asking too much of the body. When faced with limited blood flow and a weakened metabolism, the body obviously shuttles the limited resources to essential areas like the brain and other internal organs. It doesn't think of the secondary consequence that reduced blood flow to the hair will have the knock on effect of cooling the body more.

I've started wearing hats with earflaps more often when in cold or even mild climates. There's the timeless debate on whether we lose more heat from our heads than the rest of our bodies, but I think there's good reason to believe you should prioritize keeping your head warm. 1. The face has multiple large, literal openings to the inside of the body via your nose and ears. 2. Blood vessels in the surface of the head don't seem to constrict as much in response to cold (as a result of the brain's constant need for blood) (Cold out? Why you need to wear a hat! - Harvard Health ). I think there's a functional reason that most humans wore head coverings for much of human history up until the 1950s.

lampofred

Ancient healing systems (TCM and Ayurveda) say that hair is an extension of your brain, so not surprising that hair loss is associated with frontal lobe/cerebral cortex atrophy.

It just shows that it's not just a vain issue, it's a very serious one.

Tenacity

Ancient healing systems (TCM and Ayurveda) say that hair is an extension of your brain, so not surprising that hair loss is associated with frontal lobe/cerebral cortex atrophy.

It just shows that it's not just a vain issue, it's a very serious one.

I'm pretty sure I read that baldness was a risk factor for heart disease. External appearance is a reflection of internal health, so it's not surprising. When people are being vain, whether they know it or not they are trying to protect their health. Unfortunately, some modern fashions don't help health issues, and some worsen them.

lampofred

Not trying to hate or talk down on Danny Roddy at all, but had a legitimate & honest question: if he has been following a Peat diet for several years, takes thyroid, uses red light, etc. basically does everything synergized at reducing estrogen, why does he still sound and act so estrogenic/effeminate?

Ptolemy

If baldness is caused by metabolic decline and lack of heat in the brain, then why is it exclusive to men? I would expect it to be just as much of a problem for women.

Nestito

if he was on the right track, i think it'd show by now. i've learned so much from peatlandia and am grateful to have stumbled upon peat through roddy due to hair loss, but the reversal of male pattern baldness is something i doubt he'll ever come close to achieving. haidut is bald, bald, bald. roddy's gotta make a living somehow. i'll always listen to what he'll have to say, but yeah, ain't fooling me with the mpb talk.

Nebula

Not trying to hate or talk down on Danny Roddy at all, but had a legitimate & honest question: if he has been following a Peat diet for several years, takes thyroid, uses red light, etc. basically does everything synergized at reducing estrogen, why does he still sound and act so estrogenic/effeminate?
Roddy seems high progesterone to me, which can be feminizing. He also started from a fairly feminine phenotype if you’ve seen what he looked like before Peating. I don’t see any indications of high estrogen in him. I don’t see any water retention or estrogen patterned fat deposits.

The masculine phenotype seems to come mostly from progressive resistance training and experiencing other acute stresses. I don’t think diet alone can increase masculine features and personality much. They are forged by acute stresses and recovery.

Roddy’s role models are intellectuals and artists like Peat, who aren’t interested in developing themselves in that way.

Last edited:

FinnRooney

I thought this was a comment I should add whether or not it is of any use:
I found it tough to rationalise why men go bald and women don’t. Of course there’s hormones but just in general, why would men go bald so often when ray peat has said consistently that their bodily functions are usually stronger than women. (I won’t go on that tangent, I swear I’m paraphrasing something that he has said)

But there’s something I’ve noticed so commonly amongst men, except Asian men (important distinction, sorry if it offends anyone). Men DO NOT take care of themselves (myself included), seriously! Today was the first ‘cold’ day in a while and I’ve been covering up because I want myself to be warm. What’s amazing is that so many men wear way less clothes than women do.
Originally I thought ‘yeah, they aren’t as cold’. Not at all, no vascularity on their arms like I had on my hands because I was wearing 2 layers to keep myself warm. Back of arms looked cold and pale. I think the way men are raised by our idea of ‘masculinity’, commonly many men have a blatant disregard for how they feel, what they want. Reminds me of that quote that says men live quiet lives of desperation.

I’m not saying this is the cause of baldness (although it has a direct effect on metabolism and blood flow). However it shows I believe that men (most, not all), put themselves second. Even when it comes to appearance, men often don’t think about how they look despite commonly not being satisfied with their appearance. And I have noticed a strange correlation between metrosexual men and absence of balding, even hair loss in general. Again not the reason, I think it’s reflective of how they take care of themselves in regards to happiness, warmth, food, sleep, stress.

And as I said at the start of the post, Asian men I’ve noticed wear a lot more clothing, similar to women. Just a random observation but I’ve seen enough anecdotal evidence to inspire me to take care of my ******* self!

Ps. Want to see the baldest men you’ve seen? Stereotypical ‘masculine’ men from Scandinavia. Think of that what you want, believe me or not, I’ve seen it with my childhood best friend

Nebula

I thought this was a comment I should add whether or not it is of any use:
I found it tough to rationalise why men go bald and women don’t. Of course there’s hormones but just in general, why would men go bald so often when ray peat has said consistently that their bodily functions are usually stronger than women. (I won’t go on that tangent, I swear I’m paraphrasing something that he has said)

But there’s something I’ve noticed so commonly amongst men, except Asian men (important distinction, sorry if it offends anyone). Men DO NOT take care of themselves (myself included), seriously! Today was the first ‘cold’ day in a while and I’ve been covering up because I want myself to be warm. What’s amazing is that so many men wear way less clothes than women do.
Originally I thought ‘yeah, they aren’t as cold’. Not at all, no vascularity on their arms like I had on my hands because I was wearing 2 layers to keep myself warm. Back of arms looked cold and pale. I think the way men are raised by our idea of ‘masculinity’, commonly many men have a blatant disregard for how they feel, what they want. Reminds me of that quote that says men live quiet lives of desperation.

I’m not saying this is the cause of baldness (although it has a direct effect on metabolism and blood flow). However it shows I believe that men (most, not all), put themselves second. Even when it comes to appearance, men often don’t think about how they look despite commonly not being satisfied with their appearance. And I have noticed a strange correlation between metrosexual men and absence of balding, even hair loss in general. Again not the reason, I think it’s reflective of how they take care of themselves in regards to happiness, warmth, food, sleep, stress.

And as I said at the start of the post, Asian men I’ve noticed wear a lot more clothing, similar to women. Just a random observation but I’ve seen enough anecdotal evidence to inspire me to take care of my ******* self!

Ps. Want to see the baldest men you’ve seen? Stereotypical ‘masculine’ men from Scandinavia. Think of that what you want, believe me or not, I’ve seen it with my childhood best friend
Completely agree most men (and women) would benefit from treating themselves better, but one thing I wonder is if the larger skull and brain volume of males than women has something to do with hair loss. There’s the skull expansion theory (which I do think has some merit) but I also wonder if there is some connection between the higher energy demands of a larger brain and stress on scalp tissue.

The North European Phenotyoe has probably developed through various streasss such as long cold winters with lower UV rays and lower carb intake than most other areas of the world. Maybe the adaptations to these stresses also put stress on the brain and scalp interaction. Maybe creating higher energy demands or making glucose metabolism more fragile in these and other tissues.

Also wonder if colder body temperatures + a larger body make some more vulnerable to fungal infections associated with hair loss. There’s plenty of potential chronic stresses that could be making men more vulnerable to hairloss.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Reminds me of that quote that says men live quiet lives of desperation.

The quote is: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation". Henry David Thoreau

This is one of my favorite quotes. It comes from the chapter "Economy" from the book "Walden".

Arnold Grape

Not trying to hate or talk down on Danny Roddy at all, but had a legitimate & honest question: if he has been following a Peat diet for several years, takes thyroid, uses red light, etc. basically does everything synergized at reducing estrogen, why does he still sound and act so
estrogenic/effeminate?
Straight up: Does DR strike anyone as a healthy person? If the power of observation adds up to anything, it will portray someone whom has tinkered with his diet to the utmost degree and experimented with who knows what. The point here is that when you crush e and go maniacal with your diet, testosterone is going to become inhibited. I should know bc when I do these things, I begin to resemble said person.

FinnRooney

Straight up: Does DR strike anyone as a healthy person? If the power of observation adds up to anything, it will portray someone whom has tinkered with his diet to the utmost degree and experimented with who knows what. The point here is that when you crush e and go maniacal with your diet, testosterone is going to become inhibited. I should know bc when I do these things, I begin to resemble said person.
Agree completely, I’ve only just started focusing on my ‘lifestyle’ as opposed to food and I have improved my health drastically and food digests well...? Maybe better metabolism ? Who cares though, I feel my testosterone going up and up

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals