Serious question on Danny Roddy.

heyyzuz

I started to lose hair last year in May. Before that I had a completely full hair of healthy hair. In less than two years, my hair has loss a considerable amount of its density. After a ton of research, I found Danny Roddy. His view on the organism is very interesting, and after reading Hair Like a Fox, I was much more well versed with my understanding of health. I have tried this diet out for about three months. I have seen nothing change in my hair at all. Instead the loss of hair has speed up. My question is, is Danny Roddy legit about what he teaches? I mean no offense at all whatsoever. Has anyone ever heard of a success story while following Danny Roddy's suggestions? Merry Christmas everyone! :D

"...I have tried this diet out for about three months..."

What was your pulse+temperature before, during and after the diet?

Whenever I see someone say something similar to "I did this diet", I know they didn't. Peating is about increasing the metabolism as indicated by pulse and temperature, not about blindly following a diet.

fyo

Seriously question on heyyzuz. Is this guy legit? I mean no offense at all whatsoever.

Amazoniac

In my opinion he is legit. What he offers in Hair Like a Fox is a brief perspective of how the organism functions followed by some recommendations. A concise compilation of the work of great researches in a simplified approach.
Those recommendations are a generalization, they are the most common culprits of hormonal imbalance and people tend to overlook the overall message behind his book, which is restablish internal balance and improve metabolism.
Even though his recommendations apply to most, they are targeted mainly to very low-carb dieters. Which is the place where he came from before implementing his findings on himself.
There are many variables that can mess your attempt to follow those recommendations. Emotional stress is an example. You can be doing everything right with diet and lifestyle (which will indeed make you more resilient to stress) but facing constant stressors; ruining your attempt and trying to fix the problem without considering the whole.

tara

The only experience I have with trying to reverse hair loss is that I watch my outer eyebrows in the hopes they may fill out again some time.
I agree with cantstoppeating about paying attention to indicators that your metabolism is improving. I agree with amazoniac that DR seems to give a reasonable simplified version of some of Peat's key ideas, and some useful diet suggestions, and that other stressors can also be relevant. Lack of sleep, sunlight, and CO2 (from unaware hyperventilation) can also impede progress.
People here don't all eat the same version of a Peat-inspired diet, because different things seem to work for different people. You may need to experiment. Body temps can give you a quicker indicator about whether you are on the right track than hair growth. Or you may be able to tell from how you feel - relaxed, warm and energetic would be a good sign.

Henry

The problem with Danny is that his hair loss started on his year-long yourney through restrictive diets like veganism or low-carb. His success on Peatarianism is likely just the consequence of recovering from a calorie and nutrient deficiency. It doesnt say much about people who have a strong genetic background for pattern hairloss independent of dietary intake. Not having seen any credible success reports from such people so far, I would be very sceptical to the generalizing claims that he makes.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I appreciate Danny's work and he was part of the reason I decided to start reading Dr. Peat. I originally learned more from DR than anywhere else about why I had hair loss when my prolactin was elevated. I got more insight into my hair loss from him than I did my endocrinologist! Anecdotally, after 16 months following my Peat inspired approach I have 1/2 to 3/4 inch sprouts of new hairs all over the front and top of my of my scalp. I didn't start with any visible thinning so I was quite shocked when I noticed this. I didn't expect to grow new hair. I'm female and have always had very long, thick hair so I lost quite a bit without it really being noticeable. The takeaway that I get from Danny's work is that restoring metabolism with nutrition, red-light, optimizing CO2 and thyroid etc. helped him regain his hair and he wanted to share that with others as a nontoxic approach for hair loss.
I don't think he is offering any guarantees but the worst thing that could probably happen is a person's health might improve following his suggestions. I find him very respectful of Dr. Peat and he seems to give him credit where credit is due and fully references his work. I wasn't going into all of this with any goal or expectations about my hair but have had positive changes in that area nonetheless. I would suspect from my experience that it might take a bit of time (longer than just a couple months) to really see significant changes.

jyb

I also have to credit Danny for his book HLAF, because it gave me a concrete example of an alternative diet. Although what I eat now is very different and for me much better, his example diet made me understand that it doesn't matter how many meals to have or when to eat in a day: one should eat whenever needed, without reference to the usual 3 meals a day conventional template.

narouz

cantstoppeating said:

Whenever I see someone say something similar to "I did this diet", I know they didn't. Peating is about increasing the metabolism as indicated by pulse and temperature, not about blindly following a diet.

I think D. Roddy is a smart guy and an intelligent interpreter of Peat.
He does happen to be in the camp--which I am not in--
of frequently saying: "There is no Peat diet"
(all the while, of course, showing photos of & making dietary recommendations about
certain kinds of foods which should be eaten habitually--in other words: a diet. :lol: )

I agree with you about "blindly following" a diet (any diet).
But what about?
1. Acknowledging that a diet exists.
2. Following it non-blindly.

Is that okay?

narouz said:
cantstoppeating said:

He does happen to be in the camp--which I am not in--
of frequently saying: "There is no Peat diet"
(all the while, of course, showing photos of & making dietary recommendations about
certain kinds of foods which should be eaten habitually--in other words: a diet. :lol: )

I agree with you about "blindly following" a diet (any diet).
But what about?
1. Acknowledging that a diet exists.
2. Following it non-blindly.

Is that okay?

You're building a strawman. Neither I nor Danny has said or implied that a diet does not exist.

No, he isn't in that "camp". He emphasises (listen to his interviews and read his book) that it's about increasing metabolism and particular foods can be effective. Yes, you can call it a diet aimed at increasing metabolism as measured by pulse and temp. On its own, saying you've been on such a diet means nothing within our context of Peating. Pulse & temp (and labs) are the true benchmarks. Like I said, in the absence of measuring pulse & temp, you are blindly following a diet.

Is that okay?

narouz

I followed Danny R's blog/website since before he got into Peat.
I've said I think he's a smart guy and he knows his Peat.

He not only implied there is no Peat diet,
he plainly and repeatedly stated exactly that:
"There is no Peat diet."

I guess he's taken down his old stuff now.
I used to follow him when he was eating only pemmican made of meat--ultra low carb. :lol:

Since many of his previous ideas and experiments are now redundant, as he's acknowledged, there's little point in holding him accountable for them.

Besides, you really are being pedantic. No one uses the term diet in its absolute sense since any habitual intake of food is essentially a diet. Both Danny and Peat, would say there isn't a diet to make the point that it's about tuning into one's body by measuring metabolism via pulse, temp and labs. It's a shift in paradigm from "eat these foods (i.e. follow this diet) and everything will be OK" to "increase your metabolism as measured by pulse and temp, and try these foods to do so".

In anycase, let's stay on topic.

I've found Danny's work to be a brilliant synthesis of Peat's and others work and its application to balding. All the science makes sense but I've yet to see any tangible evidence, even hazy before-after photos, of anyone's regrowth. We've seen plenty of initial results from things like minoxidil, finisteride and progesterone derivatives yet nothing from a Peat-centric approach.

Zachs

Henry said:
The problem with Danny is that his hair loss started on his year-long yourney through restrictive diets like veganism or low-carb. His success on Peatarianism is likely just the consequence of recovering from a calorie and nutrient deficiency. It doesnt say much about people who have a strong genetic background for pattern hairloss independent of dietary intake. Not having seen any credible success reports from such people so far, I would be very sceptical to the generalizing claims that he makes.

this, 100%.

Danny was losing his hair from stress causes by low calories. MPB is almost entirely caused by genetics and is not reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. You may be able to slow the process or even see reversal in a very few instances but chances are if it is true MPB, you better get used to it.

OP
H

heyyzuz

cantstoppeating said:
Since many of his previous ideas and experiments are now redundant, as he's acknowledged, there's little point in holding him accountable for them.

Besides, you really are being pedantic. No one uses the term diet in its absolute sense since any habitual intake of food is essentially a diet. Both Danny and Peat, would say there isn't a diet to make the point that it's about tuning into one's body by measuring metabolism via pulse, temp and labs. It's a shift in paradigm from "eat these foods (i.e. follow this diet) and everything will be OK" to "increase your metabolism as measured by pulse and temp, and try these foods to do so".

In anycase, let's stay on topic.

I've found Danny's work to be a brilliant synthesis of Peat's and others work and its application to balding. All the science makes sense but I've yet to see any tangible evidence, even hazy before-after photos, of anyone's regrowth. We've seen plenty of initial results from things like minoxidil, finisteride and progesterone derivatives yet nothing from a Peat-centric approach.

I am marveled at all the information given here. Thank you all so much. What I would like to stay on, though, is results. As CantStopPeating stated, no one has yet to see any tangible evidence. I am willing to put in a few more months into this diet, but some evidence of before and after pictures would be really nice to have. I am not advocating for fin, but I do see that there are a huge amount of testimonials, and before and after pictures of its effect, both bad and good.

OP
H

heyyzuz

Zachs said:
Henry said:

this, 100%.

Danny was losing his hair from stress causes by low calories. MPB is almost entirely caused by genetics and is not reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. You may be able to slow the process or even see reversal in a very few instances but chances are if it is true MPB, you better get used to it.

"MPB is almost entirely caused by genetics and is not reversible through diet and lifestyle changes. "

Is this statement not the same that some doctors make when it comes to hypertension, and hypercholesterolaemia? This seems like the idea that states that the body is "broken". Wouldn't this be counterproductive to survival of the fittest?

tara

I wouldn't count on hairloss being reversible for everyone, though I've heard a small number of stories, but I would guess that a good diet, plenty of sunlight, etc, could give the best bet at slowing or stopping it.

Just a wild speculation, but I wonder if balding could be a survival adaptation for reduced metabolism that gets a bit more metabolism-boosting red light (and maybe vit-D) into the system?

Zachs

Heyyzuzz,

On the contrary, MPB is linked to high levels of DHT, the the "manly" hormone. Maybe in todays society, balding is viewed as unattractive, but i doubt that has always been. Historically, being overweight is attractive and being skinny is a sign of weakness and infertility. Is being skinny unhealthy?

miko

Does anyone know if he used progesterone for his hair loss? In hair like a fox there is much about diet and etc., but nothing about progesterone and it's effects on hair loss.

I know that progesterone is 5-alpha reductase and aromatase inhibitor.

OP
H

heyyzuz

I am not totally sure if he uses that or not. I am going to go in for blood test sometime in the next month. I am curious to see how that is. I recently got back from a trip to colombia and I did notice that my hair loss has stopped A LOT! I'm not sure why. Any takes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals