Craving Only Fruits And Feeling Better

Travis

Wagner83

I heard/read a few times that fruits with a thicker or harder skin were good to eat even if not organic. I never double checked the information though, it's nice to have a cheaper option.

tomisonbottom

Yeah! And non‐organic pineapples and dates aren't too bad either.

I thought Ray said pineapples, and apples were raised under a lot of stress and in such mass quantities that they weren't a good choice........what's the reason for mentioning them?

I love pineapple, but have avoided it in general because of serotonin and/or not finding ripe options

Travis

I thought Ray said pineapples, and apples were raised under a lot of stress and in such mass quantities that they weren't a good choice........what's the reason for mentioning them?

I love pineapple, but have avoided it in general because of serotonin and/or not finding ripe options

That's cool, there certainly are many great fruits to buy. The reason I buy the pineapple, primarily, is that they are often really good where I buy them and also only $2 apiece—so I buy them by the case. The powerful bromelain enzyme also helps for lysing Candida hyphae, of which I think I had residual amounts from eating a bit of cooked starch and linoleic acid a few weeks ago. I'm better now, and I do believe that pineapple is the best fruit for Candida detox (like most Americans, I was given a few rounds of antibiotics as a teenager). Candida species also actually produce prostaglandin E₂, which acts to transform it into the hyphal form. This has been shown in numerous studies, and it's transformation can be blocked by cyclooxygenase inhibitors. It had also been shown that no other prostaglandin can do this, will all other eicosanoids having negligible effect besides prostaglandin F₂α (with about ¹⁄₃ the activity as prostaglandin E₂). So besides some forms of starch (in my opinion), linoleic acid is also a Candida growth factor (this being indisputable). This gives us yet another reason to avoid linoleic acid.

I don't the serotonin concentration of the pineapple is significant compared to the amount normally produced in our intestines from tryptophan. It also has to circumvent many instances of monoamine oxidase to get to the platelets—essentially its binding-protein in the circulation. I would argue, based on Fernstrom studies, that circulating tryptophan is a more powerful determinant of brain serotonin synthesis than circulating serotinin: Tryptophan can readily cross the blood brain barrier and be decarboxylated into serotonin at a rate proportional to its concentration; platelet-bound serotonin is generally thought to remain restricted to the circulation, not capable of crossing the blood–brain barrier (But why? I don't know. Perhaps the platelets have higher-affinity or deeper binding domains?).

tomisonbottom

That's cool, there certainly are many great fruits to buy. The reason I buy the pineapple, primarily, is that they are often really good where I buy them and also only $2 apiece—so I buy them by the case. The powerful bromelain enzyme also helps for lysing Candida hyphae, of which I think I had residual amounts from eating a bit of cooked starch and linoleic acid a few weeks ago. I'm better now, and I do believe that pineapple is the best fruit for Candida detox (like most Americans, I was given a few rounds of antibiotics as a teenager). Candida species also actually produce prostaglandin E₂, which acts to transform it into the hyphal form. This has been shown in numerous studies, and it's transformation can be blocked by cyclooxygenase inhibitors. It had also been shown that no other prostaglandin can do this, will all other eicosanoids having negligible effect besides prostaglandin F₂α (with about ¹⁄₃ the activity as prostaglandin E₂). So besides some forms of starch (in my opinion), linoleic acid is also a Candida growth factor (this being indisputable). This gives us yet another reason to avoid linoleic acid.

I don't the serotonin concentration of the pineapple is significant compared to the amount normally produced in our intestines from tryptophan. It also has to circumvent many instances of monoamine oxidase to get to the platelets—essentially its binding-protein in the circulation. I would argue, based on Fernstrom studies, that circulating tryptophan is a more powerful determinant of brain serotonin synthesis than circulating serotinin: Tryptophan can readily cross the blood brain barrier and be decarboxylated into serotonin at a rate proportional to its concentration; platelet-bound serotonin is generally thought to remain restricted to the circulation, not capable of crossing the blood–brain barrier (But why? I don't know. Perhaps the platelets have higher-affinity or deeper binding domains?).

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I think it's probably like everything else; context matters.....how was it grown, ripeness, location, distance it traveled, etc.

I think ripe organic pineapple is to die for.....SO, so good, but when it's not perfectly ripe it can be awful and burns my tongue and hurts my stomach.

Travis

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I think it's probably like everything else; context matters.....how was it grown, ripeness, location, distance it traveled, etc.

I think ripe organic pineapple is to die for.....SO, so good, but when it's not perfectly ripe it can be awful and burns my tongue and hurts my stomach.

I agree. My last batch was not so good. If the pineapples are found at the same degree of green-ness as they were last week, I think I'm going to buy oranges instead. The organic pears where I go are also good at the moment, and only $2 for a three-pound bag. The less money I spend on food the less hard I have to work to obtain more, so this is certainly a plus. Not eating out of boxes and cans is of course more expensive, but expensive food is certainly better than cancer and cardiovascular disease (which in itself can be expensive should you fall into the hands of charlatans).

I had bought a 'test mango' last week, but no bueno. I think I'll have to wait a few more months for mango season.. .

The papaya fruit also has a proteolytic enzyme, and is also largely pH-neutral. These are awesome julienne-shredded into 'noodles' and then eaten using chopstix. These are a decent buy where I live as well, and great selections and good prices can often be found at Asian grocery stores—should you have one in your vicinity. Interesting surprises of all sorts await one at a large Asian grocery store, things like: dragonfruit, lychees, persimmons, Asian pears, jackfruit, raw fish, kimchi, and toasted seaweed snacks are all fun things to buy there.

D

danishispsychic

pinapples ripen if you leave them in the partial sun- i ripen mine all the time that way - the organic ones are amaze.

Wagner83

I agree. My last batch was not so good. If the pineapples are found at the same degree of green-ness as they were last week, I think I'm going to buy oranges instead. The organic pears where I go are also good at the moment, and only $2 for a three-pound bag.
Do you think buying organic fruits when they have solid and thick skin is that important? (e.g. pinapples, oranges, not sure about kiwi fruits)

Travis

Do you think buying organic fruits when they have solid and thick skin is that important? (e.g. pinapples, oranges, not sure about kiwi fruits)
I think its important, but perhaps less so than most people. Something like wheat or oats could act like a veritable sponge for pesticides, yet most fruit do have thick skins or waxy exteriors which can then be washed. I think the more extensive root system of fruit trees would made the difference between the two less extreme—considering the mineral ratios—and tropical regions certainly have quite a bit of incidental organic fertilizer even in the so-called 'conventional' plantations. I think I'll always eat non-organic fruit because you aren't even given the option for so many of them (i.e. lychee, persimmon). And also, it's not unusual for the organic pineapples to be rock-hard (to last longer on the shelf?) at grocery the store the same time the conventional ones are perfect.

D

danishispsychic

I leave mine outside on my little table - i think the more sun the better in the winter- think hawaii!!

Travis

Lucky, my latest batch needs absolutely no pre-ripening and they are all very good straight out of the box. I would give the bottom halves of the pineapples a score of 9.5, out of ten. Should the pineapple tops be a little on the not-so-sweet side, there's always the blender to put them in—where the addition of just one über-ripe banana makes for a very good smoothie base, in my opinion, into which then blueberries and mangos can then be added to increase its: vitamin C, polyphenols, β-carotene, and general awesomeness. Because unlike the muffin (Elaine's explanation cannot be outdone (vide infra)), it is the tops which represent the least-desirable half of the pineapple.

Last edited:

Travis

Do you buy organic pineapples?

No. Organic pineapples are generally not as good simply because they are picked at a greener stage for longer shelf life due to lower sales. This necessarily means organic pineapples are more acidic, more fibrous, and have less sugar than your run-of-the-mill Guatamalan Del-Monte Gold™. Although it can hardly be argued that organic fruits are generally a bit better, I'd dip an entire pineapple in any known pesticide over having to an extra-green one from Hawaii.

Wagner83

No. Organic pineapples are generally not as good simply because they are picked at a greener stage for longer shelf life due to lower sales. This necessarily means organic pineapples are more acidic, more fibrous, and have less sugar than your run-of-the-mill Guatamalan Del-Monte Gold™. Although it can hardly be argued that organic fruits are generally a bit better, I'd dip an entire pineapple in any known pesticide over having to an extra-green one from Hawaii.
Did you find greenish ones that were sugary and tasty? The only good ones I had were yellow, yet they label some of the entirely green pineapples as "extra-sugary". I haven't found that they ripen at home, if the pineapple is green it stays low quality. Perhaps exposing them to sunlight would be better (and giving them a beating as you suggested).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals