Reintroducing Starch : Positive Effects

andrei

Hey guys! I'll share an observation and I hope it helps you too.

I've been doing no starch eating for the past 6 months or so.
I introduced starch back just to experiment. Also the constant sweetness of fruits started to be enough. I felt that I needed some warm salty starchy meals.

So I started with boiled soft potatoes. I eat them with salt. I liked them a lot. I had a good effect of less urination from less fruits. And my sleep was deeper at night.

I want to say that if you do experiments of no starch and get to a point of no more benefit..maybe the body is in a state of needing more glucose. And the extra salt with it can help you.

I will keep doing my potatoes, and some corn starch meals. I feel that the less liquids from fruits and more salt are a benefit for me. Besides that I do 1 % milk, grapes and bananas, beef/fish and honey.

Stay well :)

OP
A

andrei

Reintroducing starch in my case in the form of rice has had nothing but benefits for me. Sleeping 8 hours uninterrupted, less hunger between meals, more energy.
Thank you for the reply!

Awesome..why do you think rice was so good? I think I should try it too. Doing 2 kg of potatoes is not very sustainable (peeling etc.).
Do you think it's the easy digestible glucose from rice (i.e. no fiber)?

raypeatclips

Thank you for the reply!

Awesome..why do you think rice was so good? I think I should try it too. Doing 2 kg of potatoes is not very sustainable (peeling etc.).
Do you think it's the easy digestible glucose from rice (i.e. no fiber)?

I ate potatoes at around 1kg a day for about 3 months. By the end of the 3 months I was getting weird stress reactions and feeling unwell. Since stopping the potatoes the specific symptoms have gone. I read something by Peat a while after this saying the negative effects of potatoes are cumulative which makes sense with how I felt.

With this being said, potatoes are much more nutritious than rice and the fibre seemed to improve my bowel movements when I was eating them, which rice does not.

OP
A

andrei

I ate potatoes at around 1kg a day for about 3 months. By the end of the 3 months I was getting weird stress reactions and feeling unwell. Since stopping the potatoes the specific symptoms have gone. I read something by Peat a while after this saying the negative effects of potatoes are cumulative which makes sense with how I felt.

With this being said, potatoes are much more nutritious than rice and the fibre seemed to improve my bowel movements when I was eating them, which rice does not.
What kind of stress reaction?

I have cold feet for these past days since I started eating potatoes.
Could that be it? I guess to test it..i should try some days with rice instead.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think it's not wise for me to "increase" my dose of potatoes. Will definitely diversify my starch.

Crazycoco

Eat potatoes with fat you will be fine you' ll digest that better. The only problem: that's damn good. Such a taste! So you easily overeat it.

Crazycoco

Potatoes are healthier than rice. Look at the ******* nutrient density you have in the humble potato! "Almost a perfect food" as says ray peat.

"You can live on water and potatoes alone" says John mcdougall.

Not true. You can "survive" on Such a bland diet he promotes with his friends potato-pooppers

Ella

Forum Supporter
I reintroduced starches and have only experienced good things. I did the unforgiveable and ate pasta. The first time I had a bowl of spaghetti, I noticed my eyesight improved. At first I thought it was a fluke. so removed pasta and my vision dropped. Reintroduced pasta, then bread, homemade cakes (I went a little wild). Feeling so good must be those damn opioids. For the moment I am just loving the feeling of stable blood sugar and eyesight back to where it should be. I was getting really worried there for a while.

Can't work out why such a huge difference. Insulin?? potassium iodide?? Increase in B-vitamins?? Or is it as The McDougall advocates: It's the starch!! I was doing fruit for so long, that sweet was no longer desirable to me. I still have fruit but now combine it with my starch. I think this is better for me in keeping stress hormones down and refilling glucogen stores. I can go much longer without refuelling.

Winter has been freezing cold but if I eat a big bowl of pasta, I am immediately feeling warm and don't need the heating on.

I had pizza tonight and it felt so good. Why is it with starches you get nice rosy cheeks and a feeling of warmth and contentment all over? Maybe it is the reduction of fat in the diet. Maybe when you have sufficiently reduced pufas, metabolism improves and starch is not so much an issue.

i am doing some starch too. I am making 24 hour soaked bread. I think it may be not so great for me, but I'm not sure. It seems satisfying.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It seems satisfying.
Love starch, crave starch, gets me hot and feeling good until the "starch flu" starts kicking in after a few days of it. Still trying to find a workaround.

Why is it with starches you get nice rosy cheeks and a feeling of warmth and contentment all over?
My humble opinion is energy, it's a big dose of energy. However it seems my liver still cannot handle the endotoxin from it. Gonna keep crackin' at it though. :D

InChristAlone

I've been eating pasta now for almost a yr, I don't have any starch flu or anything from it. But in the past when I would try to eat lots and lots of mashed potatoes, I would get some kind of poisoning from them. I think nightshades can be detrimental depending on your calcium status. Plus they might give more endotoxin symptoms than refined wheat flour.

Love starch, crave starch, gets me hot and feeling good until the "starch flu" starts kicking in after a few days of it. Still trying to find a workaround.

sounds like endotoxins.

The workaround would be speeding up the gut transit time, maybe?

I have been doing a lot more cascara.

warning: graphic coming up...:vomit:

I am not sure but it may be responsible for higher temps and bowel movements more like 2 or 3 times a day instead of once a day. BMs are looser formed, as they have been speeding through the gut. I think this may be a key along with thyroid supplementation.

OP
A

andrei

I've been eating pasta now for almost a yr, I don't have any starch flu or anything from it. But in the past when I would try to eat lots and lots of mashed potatoes, I would get some kind of poisoning from them. I think nightshades can be detrimental depending on your calcium status. Plus they might give more endotoxin symptoms than refined wheat flour.

I have really cold feet these days after I started potatoes. it's around 1 kg per day in one sitting.

Could it be that the potatoes are problematic? Or should I spread it over the meals?

OP
A

andrei

My humble opinion is energy, it's a big dose of energy. However it seems my liver still cannot handle the endotoxin from it. Gonna keep crackin' at it though. :D
How do u know u cannot handle it?

OP
A

andrei

So your only starch is rice now?

InChristAlone

I have really cold feet these days after I started potatoes. it's around 1 kg per day in one sitting.

Could it be that the potatoes are problematic? Or should I spread it over the meals?
Do you eat them with any fat? If you are experiencing negative symptoms either use them more occasionally or try with more fat. Also depends how you cook them. A baked potato is one of the most insulinogenic foods there is. But mashed potatoes is less so.

OP
A

andrei

Do you eat them with any fat? If you are experiencing negative symptoms either use them more occasionally or try with more fat. Also depends how you cook them. A baked potato is one of the most insulinogenic foods there is. But mashed potatoes is less so.
I drink low fat milk with it..around 5 grams total..i'll try to spread it. thabk u)

raypeatclips

So your only starch is rice now?

At the moment yeah but don't think there's anything wrong with potatoes if you're fine with them and don't think you should copy me just because I eat a lot of rice. I'm not telling people to eat rice but at the moment things are improving and I'm enjoying it. Also can't see myself eating only rice as starch for the rest of my life.

I am convinced though that having rice as the base of a diet can be very healthy. There are many reports of asian centenarians and super centenarians that eat rice every meal of the day and seem to be doing well. This is one of the things that convinced me that starch (or maybe just rice) is not as harmful as people make out on here. If it was so devastating I don't think it would be possible for those people to reach that age eating as they do.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals