Cody's Log

OP
J

javacody

I think a lot of reactions to things like starch may be down to the gut flora you have.

Dr Peat doesn't really seem to address this much, but recent studies are showing that this is a big deal.

tara

Dr Peat does say that people with particularly unsuitable gut flora are best off avoiding starch altogether, and the gluten probably isn't great for anyone.

The other reasons starches can affect appetite etc is that they can bounce blood glucose and insulin around more than sugars (sucrose, lactose, fructose, mixes of free glucose and fructose).

I had a rare wheat binge a few days ago (shortbread :)). Reminded me why I mostly don't. Wheat is the only food that gives me obvious and reliable gut distress when I eat a lot of it.
Potatoes don't have this effect for me.

OP
J

javacody

I notice that I get itchy when I have a lot of wheat, but I've never given it up for very long. It's mostly eliminated, but I have pizza about once a week and I had a few burritos yesterday. I didn't seem to have any issues from those.

Dinner tonight was two large bowls of fresh melon and 3 cups of cottage cheese. Oh, and a glass of OJ.

I'm off to the grocery store to pick up some dried fruit, more milk, powdered milk, and jelly. And maybe some gummy worms...

OP
J

javacody

I wanted to add that I used 12,000 IU of topical vit D3 today along with plenty of LEF K complex and 30,000 IU of Vit A and my sinuses just cleared up better than they have in months! I kept blowing them and blowing them. And they are completely clear. It's pretty awesome!

OP
J

javacody

Picked up lots of frozen fruit, some dried fruit, some raw honey, and some applebutter. Oh, and some gluten free crackers. Because applebutter on crackers is going to be an amazing snack.

Also picked up some shredded 2% milk cheeses on sale, 2 more gallons of 1% milk, some roast beef, and some shar gluten free bread. Oh, and a 3 pound bag of gummy worms.

My plan is to start off every meal with some fruit and protein, and if I'm still hungry to have some starch.

I didn't mention it earlier, but I've got some acne on my back and upper arms. I'm that clears up. I've had bacne since I hit puberty. Clear skin will be nice!

Also, just took my temp, 98.8. I feel like I'm on fire.

tara

javacody said:
Steak and boiled eggs for breakfast. A pot of coffee.

After reading that Ray makes his coffee really, really strong, I used the same amount of grounds as I would for a whole pot, but used half as much water. Then added collagen, 2 tb of sugar, and 4 ounces of milk. That's what I'm drinking now.

Forgot to take my supps and NDT this morning, so also just took those with some OJ.

Temp is 98.1. In hindsight, wish I would have taken it BEFORE I drank my cup of coffee. But I waited a few minutes at least.

Yay for protein, but did you sneak in another can of pears to get the sugar up? I'd be going for at least as much sugar as protein, probably more, and pref at least some of it before the protein, to reduce the insulin/blood glucose bounce.

tara

javacody said:
I could easily drink a gallon of milk per day. Should I?
If you are not constantly peeing clear, and you don't feel bad for it, I don't see why not.

sunmountain

Hey Cody, I like reading your log. You enjoy food so much. I'm enjoying your enjoyment!

My breakfast and lunch is the same since a month or so, in order to get enough protein and keep starch low. Maybe I ought to loosen up and diversify.

OP
J

javacody

tara said:
javacody said:
Steak and boiled eggs for breakfast. A pot of coffee.

After reading that Ray makes his coffee really, really strong, I used the same amount of grounds as I would for a whole pot, but used half as much water. Then added collagen, 2 tb of sugar, and 4 ounces of milk. That's what I'm drinking now.

Forgot to take my supps and NDT this morning, so also just took those with some OJ.

Temp is 98.1. In hindsight, wish I would have taken it BEFORE I drank my cup of coffee. But I waited a few minutes at least.

Yay for protein, but did you sneak in another can of pears to get the sugar up? I'd be going for at least as much sugar as protein, probably more, and pref at least some of it before the protein, to reduce the insulin/blood glucose bounce.

Milk has sugar in it and 2 tb of sugar is a pretty good amount. 2 TB of sugar is 28 grams of sugar. And there's about 7 grams of sugar in 4 ounces of milk.

According to nutrition info for 4 ounces of flank steak, it's 31 grams of protein. 3 large eggs will be 18 grams of protein. So we have 35 grams of sugar to 49 grams of protein.

Do you think that the 14 gram difference is going to be that big of a deal?

OP
J

javacody

Sunmountain, thanks for posting.

I'm enjoying eating all of the forbidden fruit that I couldn't eat before. I found Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean "Premium" Ice Cream. Simple ingrdients:

Milk, Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Natural Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Specks.

And it is so good. Had it just now to help me sleep.

I had some gummy worms and some root beer while I was watching TV, too.

My appetite was calmer today. 6 months ago, I would have eaten the whole container of ice cream. I was good after a small bowl tonight.

I did much better at snacking throughout the day and starting off with more protein and more salt this morning. I had better energy today.

I'm enjoying this way of eating. I don't really miss foods fried in nasty veggie oils at all. In fact, I'm looking forward to snacking on dried fruit all day tomorrow with copious amounts of milk.

tara

javacody said:
Milk has sugar in it and 2 tb of sugar is a pretty good amount. 2 TB of sugar is 28 grams of sugar. And there's about 7 grams of sugar in 4 ounces of milk.

According to nutrition info for 4 ounces of flank steak, it's 31 grams of protein. 3 large eggs will be 18 grams of protein. So we have 35 grams of sugar to 49 grams of protein.

Do you think that the 14 gram difference is going to be that big of a deal?

I think it depends on your state. The kind of protein may matter too. Peat has said that he needs about 8oz of OJ to balance an egg (I think it was one, but it could have been 2). It seems like some people do better with higher carb:protein - I've read reports here of 1:1 all the way up t 6:1. Some of us have low glycogen stores by morning, and correspondingly high stress hormones, and can use a bit of sugar fairly quickly to help bring glycogen up and stress down. I personally would probably need more than 1:1, esp first thing in the morning.

So I don't know for sure whether it's a problem for you. But I'm inclined to think it's likely better to go for a bit more, and to make sure you have at least some of the sugar before or at least with the protein. You could try out some variants and see if it makes a difference.
Can you tell yourself when you are wanting/needing more sugar?

OP
J

javacody

I'm still tuning into how I'm feeling after eating certain things.

I'm trying to cut back on all the fluids first thing in the morning, but I'll have some dried fruit and milk while I'm preparing breakfast in the morning and see how I feel.

OP
J

javacody

I woke up feeling pretty crappy today.

My daughter had a rough night which really increases my stress. Not sure if it's related or not.

I feel exhausted. Foggy. Crappy and cold.

Current temp is 97, pulse is 90 bpm.

Breakfast today was 1/2 cup dried fruit (a mix of apples, apricots, pears, plums), a glass of milk, 2 boiled eggs with plenty of salt, and extra strong coffee with sugar, gelatin, about 6 gummy worms, and milk.

I feel like I need to go back to bed. But I have to work. Fortunately I work from home, so I think a lunchtime nap will be called for today.

OP
J

javacody

Yuck. I have no appetite at all. I thought about drinking some milk, but the thought of eating or drinking anything sickens me.

And I'm sooooo tired. I must be coming down sick.

OP
J

javacody

I felt a little hungry just now, so I had 1/2 cup of tropical dried fruit (mango, pineapple, papaya), 2 glasses of 1% milk, and an ounce of extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Still feeling tired and cold.

OP
J

javacody

Woke up early today to spend family time with my daughter. Had a steak, egg, and cheese bagel at McDonald's with a small coffee and small OJ. Had some dried fruit and OJ at home before we left.

Had pizza and OJ for lunch.

While out and about, I stopped into World Market and found some shredded bamboo shoots. Looking forward to trying those out in a cheese sauce.

Planning on having Light Clam Chowder for supper with an extra can of clams.

Feeling better than I was yesterday. Looking forward to eating better tomorrow, but I think my choice at McDonalds wasn't too bad.

I think I'm constipated. I feel bloated and crappy. Going to take some cascara.

OP
J

javacody

Cascara is good stuff. I feel so much better after it kicked in today. 'Nuff said about that topic.

I keep waking up with headaches. I think it's sinus issues, but I've had gluten every day for the past 3 days.

Ah weekends.

Started off today with dried fruit and a glass of milk. Then had 20 ounces of coffee with 2 packets of knox gelatin, 1 TB of sugar, and another 8 ounces of milk.

I'm feeling pretty good this morning, especially after my third trip to the bathroom already.

OP
J

javacody

Oh yeah, current temp is 97.7.

Struggled with being cold quite a bit over the weekend, but feeling better now.

I'm starting to wonder how much endotoxin suppresses thyroid. It seems to be pretty significant.

OP
J

javacody

I also wanted to add that my appetite is tiny again today. Which I think is a good thing.

Off to drink my glass of milk!

OP
J

javacody

2nd breakfast was 20 oz of 1%milk, a Tb of local Raw honey, and a handful of bugles (for the salt and coconut oil).

I'm thinking about coating some bugles in honey. Yum!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals