Can't seem to get heart rate up at all

yoshiesque

Hi everyone,

I have been trying the Peat diet for about a month now and I just can't seem to get my heart rate up. My heart rate is naturally 60bpm (and I am in no way fit at all, i never exercise). I cannot seem to get it up from this diet. My TSH is pretty low, lingers from 0.7 to 1.4. This is what its been always. My T4 is on the very high end and T3 is somewhat high. So I am not sure what is keeping my heart rate so low.

There was one instance where it was high at around 85bpm but that was from getting 4-5 hours of sleep the night before (thats my guess anyway). I did notice though, when i ate a restaurant meal which contained a lot of rice, my heart rate went up. I am starting to think that starches might be better at increasing heart rate than sugars. I sometimes try taking a drink which contains 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons sugar (thats 30g of sugar) and 6-12g of gelatin with coffee....Still doesnt really do anything. And if it does it goes down again quickly

I am often warm, warmer than most people. I have not checked body temp yet though. Any help would be great. Current issues I am probably facing atm is poor sleep (its just bad habit really) and being very unfit (trying to work on getting in some exercise in).

Any help would be great. Thanks! Oh and below is a meal plan sample:

Meal 1: Lean Grass Fed Beef Mince + bowl of grapes + milk (salt&Sugar added) + coffee (with gelatin) + OJ
Meal 2: Chicken Tenderloins (essentially 0g fat) + bowl of mango + milk (salt&Sugar added) + Gelatin and OJ
Meal 3: 2-3 Eggs + carrot + gelatin + salt + cherries
Meal 4: OJ + Milk + lyches
Meal 5: Sweet Potato + Gelatin/salt/sugar mix in water

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm by no means an expert but I would avoid having OJ with a red meat/high iron meal because vitamin c increases absorption of iron. I usually choose a lower vitamin c fruit with a beef/red meat meal ( one example is applesauce). Another idea is to switch from sweet potatoes to white potato due to beta carotene. I try not to have chicken more than once every ten days but that may only apply to chicken with fat? I just follow that general guideline with both chicken and pork just because I do seem to feel better eating that way. I have come to rely on dairy more and more for protein which seems to work out well because of the calcium. Shrimp and white fish are also good protein sources if you can find good quality where you live. I usually end up getting a frozen product because I live in the Midwest but with a little effort it is possible to find adequate sources. I'm still learning each day but I don't think you would go wrong with any of these things. I also stick to 1-2 eggs at most per day because even the local eggs are given soy/corn feed in the depths of winter. Those are just a few ideas to consider. You can always use the cronometer to help figure out how your diet is measuring up with your needs.

aguilaroja

First, start checking and logging resting temperature, at least once per day.

Point of information: If the heart rate is about 60 at rest that's one thing. If even during strenuous activity (like climbing stairs, running for a bus, etc etc), the heart rate does not rise, see a doctor. It's important to know if the heart rate is adapting to activity demands.

When metabolism has been depleted for quite a while, some factors improve more slowly. Those with more pressing needs use extra maneuvers, like supplementary hormones. With the bits of information given, my guess in this situation is that a significant compensation here is increased cortisol. You might see if L-Theanine in the evening helps with sleep at night, and other things during the day.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

Oh no my heart rate definitely goes up when i do exercise. It goes up even when i stand.

I am definitely very very unfit. So I need to work on that. Of course I do see that too much exercise (or being too fit) is also bad. I will be doing light jogs, 15-20mins, 2-3x a week.

Alright So I tried a combination of three tablespoons sugar and salt with water and gelatin. That brought my heart rate up to like 100. So I think it is working, the problem might be fructose. Eating heaps of fruits dont seem to do much. Pure sugar seems more effective.

So I am guessing I will just be getting more fat as metabolism improves slowly? I have gone from 61 to 67, which is getting noticeable now.

Mittir

yoshiesque said:
So I am guessing I will just be getting more fat as metabolism improves slowly? I have gone from 61 to 67, which is getting noticeable now
I think that is completely wrong. If a person eat according to their metabolism there is
no way for them to gain fat. Water weight is a different issue.
You can use cronometer to track your calorie intake.
If you are gaining fat now, you need to lower your calorie intake
or increase intake of food that increases metabolism.
Here is a link to a summary of RP's dietary recommendations.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
If you are lactose intolerant then you can try cheese.
You also can do a non-dairy version.
RP thinks hypothyroid people should be careful with extra fluid
and increasing salt intake can improve problem with extra fluid intake.
You will be able to know if extra fluid is causing problem or not if you pay attention to
how you feel . Craving for salt and thirst are good guide.
yoshiesque said:
Oh no my heart rate definitely goes up when i do exercise. It goes up even when i stand.

I am definitely very very unfit. So I need to work on that. Of course I do see that too much exercise (or being too fit) is also bad. I will be doing light jogs, 15-20mins, 2-3x a week.

Alright So I tried a combination of three tablespoons sugar and salt with water and gelatin. That brought my heart rate up to like 100. So I think it is working, the problem might be fructose. Eating heaps of fruits dont seem to do much. Pure sugar seems more effective.

Coconut oil increases metabolism and heart rate for me.
The effect is stronger when coconut oil is part of small meal.
Most commercial fruits are not ripened well, little fructose and lot of starch.
RP mentioned a study showing zero T3 after 40 minutes of walking at moderate pace
,where Heart rate did not go up above 120. A hypothyroid person should be careful
about intensity of exercise. RP thinks yoga like stretching exercise and concentric
muscle building are beneficial. He mentioned a study where older people
make new mitochondria after few weeks of Concentric exercise.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals