Why Does OJ Fail To Make Some People Warm While Starch Does?

Doing some searches it seems that there are people for whom OJ does not warm them up, and in some cases even makes them cold, whereas starch does warm them up.

I've noticed this in myself. A very Peaty meal, eg 2 cups milk and 2 cups OJ, will not budge my temperature even a tenth of a degree, even though it leaves me feeling full and satisfied for as long as 3 hours; OTOH a similarly sized meal with, say, a small potato, will warm me up nicely.

It has nothing to do with the fluids or the temperature of the food, because I've experimented with warming up the OJ and milk first, and with drinking 1L+ cool water with a starchy meal. In both cases the result is the same. It also has nothing to do with potassium or sodium since I drink some salt water with the Peaty meal, and since I've experimented with taking KCl with a starchy meal; again the result is the same in both cases.

OP
B
Starches increase cortisol

Immediately? Peat says this happens in response to higher and then lower blood sugar after a meal; a strong insulin response lowers blood sugar and cortisol is released to maintain falling blood sugar. This whole process takes 1+ hour to happen in most people. Starch warms most people up quickly, long before blood sugar even peaks in my case (confirmed with glucose meter).

Peatful

I would say look at the macros in each.
If the starch meal is more balanced macros (40/30/30...carbs protien fat) there u will have ur answer.
More stable blood sugar and less cortisol response.
Also, lots of fluids are harder on digestion for many.

NathanK

Immediately? Peat says this happens in response to higher and then lower blood sugar after a meal; a strong insulin response lowers blood sugar and cortisol is released to maintain falling blood sugar. This whole process takes 1+ hour to happen in most people. Starch warms most people up quickly, long before blood sugar even peaks in my case (confirmed with glucose meter).
Post starchy meal I usually feel pretty content and warm. Couldn't say how long after. Cortisol is also usually a lagging indicator behind adrenaline, so it could be adrenaline you are feeling. I suppose it all depends on the situation.

There is also the possibility that the OJ is lowering stress hormones in the other case.

OP
B
What should one do if it's lowered stress hormones? How do I keep my stress hormones from rising between meals?

Last edited:

Peatful

Keep blood sugar balanced by eating smaller more frequent meals. Example... Eat every two/ three hours until ur temps stay steady.... Then cut back to four/five meals every three/ four hours if u can handle that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals