High Fluid Requirement?

Ulysses

Hi,

I first discovered Peat's work in 2013, didn't take a very serious look at it until 2016. The end result of that was, he convinced me to avoid PUFA at all costs, but otherwise I didn't make many changes to my diet. I have spent the last two years since then as an endurance athlete (cycling), but currently do not exercise.

I revisited him about a month ago and have been rigorously Peating since then. As an initial experiment I'm taking a very formulaic approach that everybody here will recognize - OJ, milk, gelatin, etc. - with the hope of quickly tailoring it to my specific needs. This forum has been enormously helpful, so thank you to all the regulars for that.

In general, I have been feeling much better during the last month. However, I have one strange and persistent issue. Even after eating an entire day's worth of calories, consisting of lots of carbs/sugar, sodium, and little to no fat, I will still feel slightly short of breath and generally tense/anxious.

For example, today I ate all the food listed in the screencaps I've posted below, over about a six hour period, and still had that feeling at the end of it. I was about to eat more, but decided against it because I'm watching my weight, and was almost totally sedentary today. I understand that this style of eating is designed to raise the metabolic rate, and I can certainly feel some effects of that already, but I have so far eaten 500-600 calories more than usual, and have a hard time believing that my metabolism has sped up so much in such a short period of time (my BMR was measured at 2182 in a lab last year).

So, I tried a bunch of other stuff to feel better: more coffee, some aspirin, bag breathing, going for a short walk, taking a warm shower. Nothing worked, so as a last resort, I had 4 cups of filtered water and immediately felt much better.

I'm puzzled by this, because as you can see, my diet currently includes a huge volume of fluids. Why would I still need to drink that much water so soon after drinking everything else? Does this indicate a specific metabolic problem that I need to address? Is there anything wrong with drinking this much water in a day? I was urinating frequently today, so assumed that I had been adequately hydrated.

Maybe this isn't such a big issue, but I wanted to be sure because I have read a great deal here and elsewhere about the cooling effect of fluids. Seems like most of the posters on this forum are getting by with a great deal less fluid intake than I am. Including the water, I've already required 16 cups of combined fluid intake today. I expect that there will be even more before I go to sleep, putting my ultimate fluid intake for the day somewhere between 20 and 24 cups. That's far beyond the current (excessive?) mainstream recommendation, and seems especially excessive given how inactive I've been and how cool it is where I live. I feel like my metabolism isn't great, and don't want to waste a lot of time working against its repair by drinking too much fluid. Especially because I expected this diet to decrease my fluid requirements, if anything.

Indeed, although drinking the water made me feel better overall, I still feel sub-optimal. The inner tension is gone, but I don't feel very energetic or focused. So, in other words, I want to make sure that trying to address this problem with increased fluids isn't causing other, potentially worse problems.

It's true that I drink a lot of coffee. Perhaps it's time to cut back?

Some stats:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185
Body fat: ~18%

Supps:
Vitamin E 400 IU/day
Aspirin 160 mg/day
Life Extension Vitamin K Complex
Zinc 15 mg/day
occasional multivitamin

I had some blood work done 2-3 months ago which showed high estradiol. I don't remember any of the thyroid numbers, because this was before I came back to Peat, and I wasn't paying close attention to them. I don't currently have access to the results, but will shortly.

Last edited:

theLaw

First off..........16.9mg of iron!!! That can't be right. Keep in mind that you only get rid of around 1-2mg of iron per day.

Iron's Dangers

The fat is also pretty low unless you feel great already. Low fat can be a real challenge, so feeling normal, even if it means higher fat in the short-term might be a better approach. 1/3 of each macro from calories (low liquid) is probably a good place to start.
Pufa is on the higher end for only 40G of fat.

1. Damage control (feel normal)
2. Reduce Pufa and heal liver + digestion
3. Maintain with a diet that suits your particular lifestyle (10-33% fat)

Also, looks like some foods are missing from the pictures. Milk?

Edit: It's the rice (enriched) 8mg of iron!!!:eek:o_O:confused:

OP
Ulysses

Ulysses

Edit: It's the rice (enriched) 8mg of iron!!!:eek:o_O:confused:
Nice catch, thanks - changed the entry to unenriched rice, which is what I actually ate. Even with updated entry, iron is still too high at 10 mg/day.

theLaw

Nice catch, thanks - changed the entry to unenriched rice, which is what I actually ate. Even with updated entry, iron is still too high at 10 mg/day.

Iron:

Oatmeal (3.5mg iron/cup)
OJ (4mg iron/8 cups).........Apply Juice has about 1/2 the amount of iron.

Last edited:

theLaw

Few things that stand out:

You probably need much higher quality protein.

Lower quality = rice/oatmeal where you might only be assimilating 25%.

Higher quality = eggs/dairy/gelatin = nearly 100%.

Calcium should be more than double what you're getting (eggshell would do it).

In terms of liquids, it might be best to increase them equal to your metabolism. Peat suggests adding milk and oj slowly to an already full diet.

Finally, at 3200 calories, you could probably go up to 4000 and limit liquid intake (more cheese + honey.......or cheesecake).:D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals