High Sedentary Heart Rate and Hot Flashes (Guy)

Jennifer

Little adventures sounds super fun. Yeah I agree, to teach or lead kids, you can’t do it halfway. So I suppose it puts people at risk of sacrificing too many other parts of their lives, time, or energy, and that’s what happened to me. Hopefully I can find more balance moving forward.

Oh whoops, I meant my total T3 is 206, and my cholesterol is very similar to yours. My temperature is pretty ideal, 98.3 upon waking and around 99 during the day, but I’m not getting very much deep sleep, and my digestion still isn’t perfect, which tells me that something is slightly off. I didn’t get reverse T3, but do you think such a high total T3 could indicate a reverse T3 issue? I’m confused on what could be the issue, because my temperatures and cholesterol are good.

Yep, sacrifice is definitely involved. It’s rewarding, but still there is sacrifice. I hope you can find more balance, too.

Gotcha. I was just asking about your reverse T3 to get a better picture overall of what might be going on. I think if anything, a high rT3 would point to high cortisol and/or liver issues. Do you keep track of your pulse? Did you take T3 prior to the blood test? If so, I wonder if that may have skewed your results. I honestly don’t know how accurate blood tests for T3 and T4 are. In my experience, temps, pulse and symptoms have been a better gauge. Is the lack of deep sleep something more recent or have you struggled with it right along?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yep, sacrifice is definitely involved. It’s rewarding, but still there is sacrifice. I hope you can find more balance, too.

Gotcha. I was just asking about your reverse T3 to get a better picture overall of what might be going on. I think if anything, a high rT3 would point to high cortisol and/or liver issues. Do you keep track of your pulse? Did you take T3 prior to the blood test? If so, I wonder if that may have skewed your results. I honestly don’t know how accurate blood tests for T3 and T4 are. In my experience, temps, pulse and symptoms have been a better gauge. Is the lack of deep sleep something more recent or have you struggled with it right along?
Thanks for taking the time and concern to look more deeply into it. I didn't take T3 before the test, and unfortunately my epidemiologist said they only do reverse T3 if my previous blood tests reach certain markers, which they didn't. My doctor also sent a follow up email this morning, indicating my total T3 at 201, not 206. So I think the more accurate number is 201.

I do keep track of my pulse, and it's right where I want it -- 70-80 bpm at rest, certainly not indicative of hyperthyroidism. I did some more research, and several websites indicate that up to 200 is normal for total T3, and one website (UCLA medical) said up to 220 is normal. So by those measures, I'm at the high end of the range, or just barely above it. I don't think my high T3 is a problem though, because my temps and pulse indicate good thyroid function, not hyper.

As far as symptoms, I do have digestive and sleep symptoms. The digestive problems could be causing the sleep problems, though. The low deep sleep started in early October, a few weeks after I went from 1 to 1.25 tablets of cynoplus, concurrently when the digestive problems started, but some nights randomly I will still get a good night's sleep. Before I added that .25, my sleep was never consistently good because my digestion has always had issues. But my average nightly deep sleep is down about 20 minutes. Which makes me wonder -- does the thyroid cause both issues, or does the poor digestion cause the sleep problems?

Since we're headed into winter, I don't think I will lower my thyroid right now, but instead will monitor my sleep and digestion. I don't want to lower my thyroid because my temps are where I want them, my daytime focus and mood are positive, my pulse isn't too high, and my cholesterol isn't too low. I really appreciate you helping me think through this.

Dr. B

Do you use cronometer? If so, I have you logged 16 cups each of goat’s milk and cow’s milk before?
no why. i got those numbers from the nih website Office of Dietary Supplements - Vitamin B6
im not sure if cronometer uses this for their sourcing. what are you showing on there for the b vitamins for 16 cups? do they tell you where theyre sourcing from? this nih website doesnt have every food item listed but it seems reliable, they only have data on the common food items which have been tested

Jennifer

Thanks for taking the time and concern to look more deeply into it. I didn't take T3 before the test, and unfortunately my epidemiologist said they only do reverse T3 if my previous blood tests reach certain markers, which they didn't. My doctor also sent a follow up email this morning, indicating my total T3 at 201, not 206. So I think the more accurate number is 201.

I do keep track of my pulse, and it's right where I want it -- 70-80 bpm at rest, certainly not indicative of hyperthyroidism. I did some more research, and several websites indicate that up to 200 is normal for total T3, and one website (UCLA medical) said up to 220 is normal. So by those measures, I'm at the high end of the range, or just barely above it. I don't think my high T3 is a problem though, because my temps and pulse indicate good thyroid function, not hyper.

As far as symptoms, I do have digestive and sleep symptoms. The digestive problems could be causing the sleep problems, though. The low deep sleep started in early October, a few weeks after I went from 1 to 1.25 tablets of cynoplus, concurrently when the digestive problems started, but some nights randomly I will still get a good night's sleep. Before I added that .25, my sleep was never consistently good because my digestion has always had issues. But my average nightly deep sleep is down about 20 minutes. Which makes me wonder -- does the thyroid cause both issues, or does the poor digestion cause the sleep problems?

Since we're headed into winter, I don't think I will lower my thyroid right now, but instead will monitor my sleep and digestion. I don't want to lower my thyroid because my temps are where I want them, my daytime focus and mood are positive, my pulse isn't too high, and my cholesterol isn't too low. I really appreciate you helping me think through this.

Oh, of course. My pleasure, Tyler. I can see why you suspect the cynoplus. I was just looking back over the thread to see if I noticed anything different from when you last posted an update, but there’s about a 4 month gap. You had mentioned how you get low deep sleep and dream recall when your gut functions well so it wouldn’t surprise me if your digestion is still the culprit and not the cynoplus. I’m wondering if the bad batch of oranges was enough to irritate your intestines and disturb your sleep. For how long had you been consuming them? And the grape juice? Any other new additions to your diet just prior to the beginning of October? Any new cheeses? For some, the cultures can be irritating. The only other thing that stood out to me is at the end of June, you mentioned that grapes and masa tortillas upset your stomach and if I remember correctly, you consume masa tortillas? Is masa no longer an issue for you and is it just whole grapes and not grape juice that upsets your stomach?

Jennifer

no why. i got those numbers from the nih website Office of Dietary Supplements - Vitamin B6
im not sure if cronometer uses this for their sourcing. what are you showing on there for the b vitamins for 16 cups? do they tell you where theyre sourcing from? this nih website doesnt have every food item listed but it seems reliable, they only have data on the common food items which have been tested

The percentages for low-fat milk are higher, but crono doesn’t have low-fat goat’s milk listed so going by whole milk, 16 cups of cow’s milk provides 1.4 mg (108%) of B6 and 16 cups of goat’s milk provides 1.8 mg (138%) of B6.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Oh, of course. My pleasure, Tyler. I can see why you suspect the cynoplus. I was just looking back over the thread to see if I noticed anything different from when you last posted an update, but there’s about a 4 month gap. You had mentioned how you get low deep sleep and dream recall when your gut functions well so it wouldn’t surprise me if your digestion is still the culprit and not the cynoplus. I’m wondering if the bad batch of oranges was enough to irritate your intestines and disturb your sleep. For how long had you been consuming them? And the grape juice? Any other new additions to your diet just prior to the beginning of October? Any new cheeses? For some, the cultures can be irritating. The only other thing that stood out to me is at the end of June, you mentioned that grapes and masa tortillas upset your stomach and if I remember correctly, you consume masa tortillas? Is masa no longer an issue for you and is it just whole grapes and not grape juice that upsets your stomach?
Another thing that makes me suspect my digestion is that my coated tongue has been at its worst these past few weeks, in line with the poor deep sleep. Do you think it’s possible that too much cynoplus could be causing inflamed (typically sluggish, but sometimes diarrhea) digestion, despite good temps? I don’t think so, if anything I would expect the opposite. I would suspect the food.

My current diet of goat milk, OJ, grape juice, carrots, mushrooms, sugar, coffee, eggs, cheese has stayed pretty consistent. I’ve had masa in the past but never noticed anything TOO significant from its effects, but even still I don’t enjoy it that much so I’ve cut it out the past few days with no immediate changes to my poor tendency for deep sleep. The cheeses have always been the same — manchego and pecorino from Costco, which haven’t caused problems too bad before. I had a phase of terrible deep sleep last year in February, when I started taking cynomel (now I don’t take cynomel) but determined that citric acid from canned pineapple caused It. Turning to the fruit as a culprit, the grapes and oranges have changed brands. Unfortunately, Costco changes their fruit brands every few weeks, but they have the best fruit still, considering price and organic. I’ve consumed their fruit for over a year now and never had such sustained issues.

I suspect the oranges more than the grapes because one might in early October I got super bloated right after drinking OJ (along with some fresh oysters), and the oranges were from a new brand. Even with the next orange brand though, my sleep did not improve, which made me think the oranges aren’t at fault. Still, I just got a third brand of oranges and will try them today. I also switched grape brands (and colors — green to red) to see if they have an effect. Red grapes have always treated me well in the past.

To give a visual, I will also attach my sleep app data from my Apple Watch, indicating each night‘s deep sleep. You can see how my September average is around 1:30 of deep sleep per night, and in October the numbers are noticeably lower.

For now, especially as days get longer and colder, I will keep the same on my cynoplus, but keep trying different OJ and grape brands.

Attachments

• FF3F28E1-025C-419F-B0EA-BDDCB3BEECB9.png
    FF3F28E1-025C-419F-B0EA-BDDCB3BEECB9.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 15
  • A07E3FF8-A1E4-43E9-9373-508C679312A9.png
    A07E3FF8-A1E4-43E9-9373-508C679312A9.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 15

Jennifer

Ooh…yeah, that’s quite the difference between September and October, @Vileplume. I was going to ask you in my last comment if you thought switching from the raw milk to Summerhill could have contributed, but then I saw that you told peter88 on the 14th that the Summerhill seemed to affect you really well. However, looking at your sleep data and when your sleep started to suffer, could the milk be a factor? If it was the cynoplus, I would think if anything, the excipients are more likely the culprit than the thyroid hormones themselves, given your temps, pulse and other improvements, but sluggish digestion and coated tongue—the latter two pointing to an overgrowth of bacteria, IME. I could be totally wrong, though.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Ooh…yeah, that’s quite the difference between September and October, @Vileplume. I was going to ask you in my last comment if you thought switching from the raw milk to Summerhill could have contributed, but then I saw that you told peter88 on the 14th that the Summerhill seemed to affect you really well. However, looking at your sleep data and when your sleep started to suffer, could the milk be a factor? If it was the cynoplus, I would think if anything, the excipients are more likely the culprit than the thyroid hormones themselves, given your temps, pulse and other improvements, but sluggish digestion and coated tongue—the latter two pointing to an overgrowth of bacteria, IME. I could be totally wrong, though.
Thanks Jennifer. I started drinking Summerhill in August, so I don’t think it’s the cause. I think you’re on the money with overgrowth, and I think that’s been my biggest problem all along, and its related hypothyroidism. Last night, although I didn’t have much deep sleep, I fell asleep quickly and slept through the night better than I typically do recently. I had a cup of boiled mushrooms before bed, which probably helped. For now, I’m going to try different brands of fruit and stay vigilant with the insoluble fibers, which seem to be helping.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer. I started drinking Summerhill in August, so I don’t think it’s the cause. I think you’re on the money with overgrowth, and I think that’s been my biggest problem all along, and its related hypothyroidism. Last night, although I didn’t have much deep sleep, I fell asleep quickly and slept through the night better than I typically do recently. I had a cup of boiled mushrooms before bed, which probably helped. For now, I’m going to try different brands of fruit and stay vigilant with the insoluble fibers, which seem to be helping.

You’re welcome, Tyler. :) That’s promising! Do you add salt to your mushrooms? I always liked adding a bunch of salt when making my mushroom broth. I found it warming and relaxing. Anyhow, I think you have an excellent plan. Digits crossed your sleep and digestion improve soon.

aniciete

Another thing that makes me suspect my digestion is that my coated tongue has been at its worst these past few weeks, in line with the poor deep sleep. Do you think it’s possible that too much cynoplus could be causing inflamed (typically sluggish, but sometimes diarrhea) digestion, despite good temps? I don’t think so, if anything I would expect the opposite. I would suspect the food.

My current diet of goat milk, OJ, grape juice, carrots, mushrooms, sugar, coffee, eggs, cheese has stayed pretty consistent. I’ve had masa in the past but never noticed anything TOO significant from its effects, but even still I don’t enjoy it that much so I’ve cut it out the past few days with no immediate changes to my poor tendency for deep sleep. The cheeses have always been the same — manchego and pecorino from Costco, which haven’t caused problems too bad before. I had a phase of terrible deep sleep last year in February, when I started taking cynomel (now I don’t take cynomel) but determined that citric acid from canned pineapple caused It. Turning to the fruit as a culprit, the grapes and oranges have changed brands. Unfortunately, Costco changes their fruit brands every few weeks, but they have the best fruit still, considering price and organic. I’ve consumed their fruit for over a year now and never had such sustained issues.

I suspect the oranges more than the grapes because one might in early October I got super bloated right after drinking OJ (along with some fresh oysters), and the oranges were from a new brand. Even with the next orange brand though, my sleep did not improve, which made me think the oranges aren’t at fault. Still, I just got a third brand of oranges and will try them today. I also switched grape brands (and colors — green to red) to see if they have an effect. Red grapes have always treated me well in the past.

To give a visual, I will also attach my sleep app data from my Apple Watch, indicating each night‘s deep sleep. You can see how my September average is around 1:30 of deep sleep per night, and in October the numbers are noticeably lower.

For now, especially as days get longer and colder, I will keep the same on my cynoplus, but keep trying different OJ and grape brands.
I think I saw you reply to someone on another post listing your current diet and that you eat both mushrooms and carrots everyday? Too many insoluble fibers can slow down digestion especially eaten multiple times a day.

"Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it's best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon." -Ray Peat

So maybe you can try having only mushrooms or carrots once a day away from other food to see if your digestion speeds up. The white tongue could be from a slower digestion.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

You’re welcome, Tyler. :) That’s promising! Do you add salt to your mushrooms? I always liked adding a bunch of salt when making my mushroom broth. I found it warming and relaxing. Anyhow, I think you have an excellent plan. Digits crossed your sleep and digestion improve soon.
Yes, I love salt in the mushrooms! I’ve also found that pureeing them, instead of just chopping, seems to help them digest faster. It makes the texture pretty much soup-like.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I think I saw you reply to someone on another post listing your current diet and that you eat both mushrooms and carrots everyday? Too many insoluble fibers can slow down digestion especially eaten multiple times a day.

"Since the fiber [CARROT] will delay digestion and reduce absorption of other foods, I think it's best to eat it between meals, usually in the afternoon." -Ray Peat

So maybe you can try having only mushrooms or carrots once a day away from other food to see if your digestion speeds up. The white tongue could be from a slower digestion.
Thanks for that quotation and joining in the conversation. Yes, that’s correct, currently I eat both the carrot and mushrooms, bamboo shoots too. I realize that it’s a lot of insoluble fiber. In the past I’ve tried various amounts and combinations of insoluble fibers, and the white tongue still remains even with a small amount of carrot, or none of it. The most recent episode of disruptive bloating actually flared up during a phase when I happened to be eating just two carrots a day, no mushrooms or bamboo shoots.

The past two days, when I’ve been eating this much fiber, I still only poop once a day, like I always have, but my poops have become much fuller and better shaped than before. I’ve also heard Dr. Peat say that some people did well with lots of insoluble fiber and fruit juice. For now I’m going to continue with this high insoluble fiber experiment, but if my problems remain, I will tone the insoluble fibers down.

Jennifer

Yes, I love salt in the mushrooms! I’ve also found that pureeing them, instead of just chopping, seems to help them digest faster. It makes the texture pretty much soup-like.

I’ll have to try them pureed then. Maybe they won’t cause me bloating and constipation that way. Thank you for the idea!

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I’ll have to try them pureed then. Maybe they won’t cause me bloating and constipation that way. Thank you for the idea!
I hope you find good results with it! Also, I love your new signature quotation.

Dr. B

should fibrous fruits be eaten on their own instead of with protein then? like dried figs, dates, pineapple, raisins, banana chips, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals