High Sedentary Heart Rate and Hot Flashes (Guy)

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I’ve heard people saying that they deplete nutrients, but I’m not sure if that’s actually true. The caffeine in coffee, tea and chocolate accompany vitamins and minerals and fructose has been shown to help retain nutrients. From Ray’s sugar issues’ article:

“Fructose affects the body's ability to retain other nutrients, including magnesium, copper, calcium, and other minerals. Comparing diets with 20% of the calories from fructose or from cornstarch, Holbrook, et al. (1989) concluded "The results indicate that dietary fructose enhances mineral balance." Ordinarily, things (such as thyroid and vitamin D) which improve the retention of magnesium and other nutrients are considered good, but the fructose mythology allows researchers to conclude, after finding an increased magnesium balance, with either 4% or 20% of energy from fructose (compared to cornstarch, bread, and rice), "that dietary fructose adversely affects macromineral homeostasis in humans." (Milne and Nielsen, 2000).

Another study compared the effects of a diet with plain water, or water containing 13% glucose, or sucrose, or fructose, or high fructose corn syrup on the properties of rats' bones: Bone mineral density and mineral content, and bone strength, and mineral balance. The largest differences were between animals drinking the glucose and the fructose solutions. The rats getting the glucose had reduced phosphorus in their bones, and more calcium in their urine, than the rats that got fructose. "The results suggested that glucose rather than fructose exerted more deleterious effects on mineral balance and bone" (Tsanzi, et al., 2008).

An older experiment compared two groups with an otherwise well balanced diet, lacking vitamin D, containing either 68% starch or 68% sucrose. A third group got the starch diet, but with added vitamin D. The rats on the vitamin D deficient starch diet had very low levels of calcium in their blood, and the calcium content of their bones was low, exactly what is expected with the vitamin D deficiency. However, the rats on the sucrose diet, also vitamin D deficient, had normal levels of calcium in their blood. The sucrose, unlike the starch, maintained claim homeostasis. A radioactive calcium tracer showed normal uptake by the bone, and also apparently normal bone development, although their bones were lighter than those receiving vitamin D.”

I think the potential issue with refined sugar is when it displaces nutrient replete carb sources, like fruit and milk, in a diet already deficient in nutrients, but you’re get plenty from the goat’s milk, coffee, liver and eggs. More from the sugar issues’ article:

“A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions.

Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic.”

There’s also the option of coconut water, particularly ones sourced from Thai coconuts as they tend to be sweeter. When compared calorie for calorie, coconut water is higher than OJ, and even goat’s milk, in many nutrients—B2, B6, copper, Iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, selenium, sodium and zinc—and unlike fruit, its quality is consistently reliable and less likely to aggravate the intestines, IME—it was one of only a few foods I tolerated when I had gastritis. I keep some raw coconut water in the freezer and powder coconut water in the pantry to have on hand for when available fruit is lousy, which seems to be more often than not.

That’s the case for me, as well. Even when fruit is sweet without any acidity or bitterness, I can still reacted to it. I bought organic grapes from two different markets last week that tasted identical and one batch had me running to the bathroom, while the other batch caused no reaction whatsoever. I did try cutting the cheese (lol) and thought I had found the culprit, until I had that bad batch of grapes. I had extensive blood work done on Saturday and despite the milk fasts and limited diet I’ve been on for a year and a half now, my numbers are shockingly excellent, even iron, so I really think poor quality fruit is to blame for my symptoms and not SIBO or histamines.

There was one summer back in 2009 when I ate nothing but cantaloupe. They were the size of basketballs, incredibly fragrant and dripped of the sweetest nectar. They were all I craved and I felt incredible, however, by the end of the summer, I resembled an Oompa Loompa so it didn’t do my thyroid any favors. I was running on adrenaline and as a person with an under-active thyroid, adrenaline can, in the short term, make me feel amazing compared to that typical, low energized, hypo state and back then, I didn’t know the signs of adrenaline such as a racing heart, cold extremities, frequent urination etc. so it’s far too easy for me to romanticize my fruitarian days.
Jennifer, your posts are so rich with information and experience! That excerpt from Peat’s article is fascinating, and makes me rethink the idea that sugar depletes nutrients. I agree with what you said about a diet with milk, liver, fruit, eggs, not needing to worry about sugar “depleting” anything. You just don’t want it to displace any nutrients in the diet, like you said. Thanks.

I’ve never made an attempt to feature coconut water in my diet, even though I’ve heard from you and some others here about it’s effectiveness. It is super rich in nutrients, so maybe I’ll look out for one that doesn’t have added ascorbic acid.

This past week, I’ve taken some steps forward from my prior state of health. For one, I quit my stressful teaching job and will now try to find something remote, because I have observed much lower stress levels when I work from home. Secondly, like you, I found bad fruit to contribute majorly to my problems. I got super bloated and gunked tongue last week, and I determined that it came from a batch of oranges I had gotten from Costco, despite no rot or anything. Yesterday I got a new brand of oranges, and my sleep and mood instantly improved. Thirdly, I think I was eating too many carrots, which slowed my thyroid function. I had gotten cold hands daily for a few weeks, and I thought it was because I took too much cynoplus, but I had warm hands yesterday after just a few days of halving my carrot intake.

I’m so glad to hear that your numbers are good! Do you measure even things like T4 and T3? I got those measured recently but plan to go back one of these days to get cholesterol. I remember reading some of your old posts about your fruit consumption and I became inspired. It’s cool to look back to the beginning of your log and see how far you’ve come since then, and what has changed about your approach (a lot haha). In just a year, my approach has changed a lot too.

peter88

Hey Peter. When I can find delicious raw A2 (for me, goat) milk, that’s my first choice. But when my farmer’s raw goat milk started tasting peppery and affecting my gut differently, which happened like two months ago, I switched to Summerhill and have since been drinking a gallon of it every day. I have noticed no digestive problems, on the contrary it seems to affect me really well. I appreciate that it has no added vitamins, it’s A2, and I have not gained any weight despite the high fat content. Since the fat solidifies thickly in the fridge, I think the fat is highly saturated.
Thanks for the fast reply! I’m gonna give summerhill a try for a couple days and see how it goes. I like that summerhill is available in multiple stores near me so running out shouldn’t be a problem.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Thanks for the fast reply! I’m gonna give summerhill a try for a couple days and see how it goes. I like that summerhill is available in multiple stores near me so running out shouldn’t be a problem.
I like that too! And some stores give a discount when you buy it by the case. Just check with the customer service, to see if they offer that.

peter88

Is you bad tasting raw milk from Organic Pastures? I tried theirs and it was awful!
Haha not that bad. I tried their brand a while back and it just tasted dirty. I used like Claravale raw milk when I was still living in California but it was too expensive per quart.

peter88

I like that too! And some stores give a discount when you buy it by the case. Just check with the customer service, to see if they offer that.
Alright sweet, I’ll ask next time I stop there. Hopefully they do cause I drink a lot of milk lol.

Haha not that bad. I tried their brand a while back and it just tasted dirty. I used like Claravale raw milk when I was still living in California but it was too expensive per quart.

Ok so goat milk is suppose to taste better than what I had, good to know thanks! I will have to give it another try with the Summerhill :)

Cloudhands

i didnt read thru the whole thread, but some of your issues seem like they might be vitamin D deficiency related? have you had it checked?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

i didnt read thru the whole thread, but some of your issues seem like they might be vitamin D deficiency related? have you had it checked?
Sup! Well, I started this thread back in January 21, and when I got D tested a few months later it was on the high side. Looking back, my high heart rate and tachycardia were caused by histamine, thyroid, and digestive problems, which I fixed by 1) switching from NDT to cynoplus, 2) cutting out high histamine foods like powdered gelatin, 3) drinking more A2 milk and less meat, 4) drinking more fruit juice and less whole unripe fruit.

I remember when we both got similar flushing from OJ back in the day (April 21 haha) and I’m glad to say I no longer get that reaction to it. I hope you don’t either?

Cloudhands

Sup! Well, I started this thread back in January 21, and when I got D tested a few months later it was on the high side. Looking back, my high heart rate and tachycardia were caused by histamine, thyroid, and digestive problems, which I fixed by 1) switching from NDT to cynoplus, 2) cutting out high histamine foods like powdered gelatin, 3) drinking more A2 milk and less meat, 4) drinking more fruit juice and less whole unripe fruit.

I remember when we both got similar flushing from OJ back in the day (April 21 haha) and I’m glad to say I no longer get that reaction to it. I hope you don’t either?
i cant tell if its the OJ or something else, but i do get the flushing. ive also been using powdered gelatin, and i think im going to quit based on your experiences and see how it goes. i can only get commercial OJ, albeit organic, do you think this could be causing the clammy hands i get?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

i cant tell if its the OJ or something else, but i do get the flushing. ive also been using powdered gelatin, and i think im going to quit based on your experiences and see how it goes. i can only get commercial OJ, albeit organic, do you think this could be causing the clammy hands i get?
How is your thyroid function? When I emailed Dr. Peat about my hot flashes, the first thing he suggested was thyroid.

Cloudhands

How is your thyroid function? When I emailed Dr. Peat about my hot flashes, the first thing he suggested was thyroid.
i get hot flashes when i drink OJ without failure. but i always get a little clammy after my first chocolate milk and then even more throughout the day as i drink more, and i put gelatin and cocoa powder in all of my drinks. today i skipped the cocoa and gelatin, and i feel normal so far, so im thinking those were my 2 high histamine suspects. I might still need thyroid, after tracking temps and pulse, but the clamminess being gone is nice.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

i get hot flashes when i drink OJ without failure. but i always get a little clammy after my first chocolate milk and then even more throughout the day as i drink more, and i put gelatin and cocoa powder in all of my drinks. today i skipped the cocoa and gelatin, and i feel normal so far, so im thinking those were my 2 high histamine suspects. I might still need thyroid, after tracking temps and pulse, but the clamminess being gone is nice.
Nice man, I hope the clamminess and flushing stay away.

Jennifer

Jennifer, your posts are so rich with information and experience! That excerpt from Peat’s article is fascinating, and makes me rethink the idea that sugar depletes nutrients. I agree with what you said about a diet with milk, liver, fruit, eggs, not needing to worry about sugar “depleting” anything. You just don’t want it to displace any nutrients in the diet, like you said. Thanks.

I’ve never made an attempt to feature coconut water in my diet, even though I’ve heard from you and some others here about it’s effectiveness. It is super rich in nutrients, so maybe I’ll look out for one that doesn’t have added ascorbic acid.

This past week, I’ve taken some steps forward from my prior state of health. For one, I quit my stressful teaching job and will now try to find something remote, because I have observed much lower stress levels when I work from home. Secondly, like you, I found bad fruit to contribute majorly to my problems. I got super bloated and gunked tongue last week, and I determined that it came from a batch of oranges I had gotten from Costco, despite no rot or anything. Yesterday I got a new brand of oranges, and my sleep and mood instantly improved. Thirdly, I think I was eating too many carrots, which slowed my thyroid function. I had gotten cold hands daily for a few weeks, and I thought it was because I took too much cynoplus, but I had warm hands yesterday after just a few days of halving my carrot intake.

I’m so glad to hear that your numbers are good! Do you measure even things like T4 and T3? I got those measured recently but plan to go back one of these days to get cholesterol. I remember reading some of your old posts about your fruit consumption and I became inspired. It’s cool to look back to the beginning of your log and see how far you’ve come since then, and what has changed about your approach (a lot haha). In just a year, my approach has changed a lot too.

That’s great, Tyler! I can just imagine how stressful teaching is, especially in this current landscape. Fingers crossed you find something much less stressful. So the oranges were bad, huh? I’m glad you were able to figure it out. It’s frustrating how hit or miss fruit is. I finally found some sweet gum drop grapes at Whole Foods, but kept craving milk and honey. Go figure! That’s interesting about the carrots. Are they the orange variety? If so, do you think it was the beta carotene slowing your thyroid function or maybe the fiber? I switched to the white variety hoping I’d finally tolerate them, but the fiber caused bloating and oddly, constipation.

Thank you! Yep, all my thyroid hormones were measured. What’s funny is I actually came full circle, back to what my approach was when I started my first log in 2014, and I’m glad it did. I never wanted to abandon it. I was drawn to Ray’s work because it gave me the confidence to consume the foods I craved most. I was in such a vulnerable place at the time with my spine having just collapsed and my understanding of the body still in its infancy so with all the mixed, fearful messages I was given, I needed scientific validation for why I craved certain foods that practitioners told me were bad for my health and caused the osteoporosis.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

That’s great, Tyler! I can just imagine how stressful teaching is, especially in this current landscape. Fingers crossed you find something much less stressful. So the oranges were bad, huh? I’m glad you were able to figure it out. It’s frustrating how hit or miss fruit is. I finally found some sweet gum drop grapes at Whole Foods, but kept craving milk and honey. Go figure! That’s interesting about the carrots. Are they the orange variety? If so, do you think it was the beta carotene slowing your thyroid function or maybe the fiber? I switched to the white variety hoping I’d finally tolerate them, but the fiber caused bloating and oddly, constipation.

Thank you! Yep, all my thyroid hormones were measured. What’s funny is I actually came full circle, back to what my approach was when I started my first log in 2014, and I’m glad it did. I never wanted to abandon it. I was drawn to Ray’s work because it gave me the confidence to consume the foods I craved most. I was in such a vulnerable place at the time with my spine having just collapsed and my understanding of the body still in its infancy so with all the mixed, fearful messages I was given, I needed scientific validation for why I craved certain foods that practitioners told me were bad for my health and caused the osteoporosis.
Thank you. I might return to teaching someday, but for now it felt like it took more from my life and happiness than it gave. I think a remote job, or maybe something outside, would serve my stress levels much better. With teaching, you have to stay on all the time because you’re on stage, and you have to make so many decisions, with such an important responsibility, it just can eat away at you.

That’s cool you found some sweet grapes that work well for you. Gum drop sounds delicious. Did you hear on the recent KMUD interview, where Ray said that a doctor a long time ago claimed to cure her patients’ cancer with a grape-only diet? Ray insinuated that there are sole anti-inflammatory compounds in grapes, that have healing effects! It made me want to go get some.

Yes, they were the orange carrots, and I’ve gone back to eating them, just keeping it to two a day. I’m still trying to figure out the amount of insoluble fiber that I do well with. I always hear Ray talk about people doing well with increased insoluble fiber, and I read accounts on the forum of people doing well with it. And I think my gut slows a lot without the fibers, so now I’m trying finely chopped button mushrooms and boiled, puréed bamboo shoots, plus some finely chopped carrots. So far my gut has seemed happy with this.

I saw recently that you eat a variety of whole fruits, like grapes and peaches and melons, and I’m so jealous that you can find these ripe. I’m on the OJ train again, with some grape juice too, but there’s something really nice about eating the whole fruit. It can be the ultimate experience in good digestion, eating ripe fruit.

What’s your waking body temp these days? And if you don’t mind sharing, what are your cholesterol and T3 values? I’m trying to hone in my cynoplus, and it’s given a bunch of benefits, and my temp is ideal I think, but I wonder about my labs. Waking temp 98.3, cholesterol 166, but free T3 is 206, far above the range. Hope you’re doing great Jennifer, even with the cold and darkness of the winters over there where you are.

Dr. B

I heard Peat say that too, about a milk-only diet having every nutrient but iron. I wonder, if we have sugar or caffeine with the milk, if then some nutrients become depleted, and fruit fills these in well. I'm not sure what nutrients these would be, though.

For me, the issue tends to be that the fruit is never perfectly ripe, even if it doesn't taste bitter. I've had this weird bloating and coated tongue all week, and I can't figure out the cause -- it could be the new brand of oranges I've been juicing, or it could be a suppressed thyroid from eating too many carrots, it could be that I'm taking too much thyroid, it could be the magnesium bicarbonate water I've been drinking. I suppose the best thing is to just eliminate these things, beginning with the most likely culprit, and build my diet back out.

So since your tongue is clean, but you get that rash, do you still suspect SIBO as your major cause? Or perhaps SIBO and a histamine intolerance, because it sounds like they go hand in hand? Have you tried cutting the cheese? :razz

I think for me, SIBO is probably somewhere near the root cause, and perhaps histamine too, although before when I had histamine problems, I would get a lot of hot flashes and tachycardia, and currently I don't have those. I actually have the opposite problem -- cold hands, signs of low thyroid function, despite taking 2.5 grains of cynoplus. This past week I tried without the cheese, and my problems still remain -- it must be that something isn't digesting right, or low thyroid function.

You ask great questions. No, there was never a time where I felt better with OJ/fruit than I currently do with goat milk. The best phases of my stretch always featured goat milk, and OJ might have been around for some of those, but goat milk has always been the main star. Sometimes I've felt pretty good with OJ, but never optimal. What about you -- has fruit ever allowed you to feel as good as goat milk has?
@Jennifer milk is severely lacking in biotin, b3 and b6
why is this
its 0.3mcg biotin per cup
0.2mg b3 per cup
apparently zero b6
even liver, has 30mcg biotin per 3 oz, and 0.9mg b6 per 3ounces
b6 seems a tough nutrient to get from diet
orange juice is 0.2mg per cup i think

Dr. B

Thank you. I might return to teaching someday, but for now it felt like it took more from my life and happiness than it gave. I think a remote job, or maybe something outside, would serve my stress levels much better. With teaching, you have to stay on all the time because you’re on stage, and you have to make so many decisions, with such an important responsibility, it just can eat away at you.

That’s cool you found some sweet grapes that work well for you. Gum drop sounds delicious. Did you hear on the recent KMUD interview, where Ray said that a doctor a long time ago claimed to cure her patients’ cancer with a grape-only diet? Ray insinuated that there are sole anti-inflammatory compounds in grapes, that have healing effects! It made me want to go get some.

Yes, they were the orange carrots, and I’ve gone back to eating them, just keeping it to two a day. I’m still trying to figure out the amount of insoluble fiber that I do well with. I always hear Ray talk about people doing well with increased insoluble fiber, and I read accounts on the forum of people doing well with it. And I think my gut slows a lot without the fibers, so now I’m trying finely chopped button mushrooms and boiled, puréed bamboo shoots, plus some finely chopped carrots. So far my gut has seemed happy with this.

I saw recently that you eat a variety of whole fruits, like grapes and peaches and melons, and I’m so jealous that you can find these ripe. I’m on the OJ train again, with some grape juice too, but there’s something really nice about eating the whole fruit. It can be the ultimate experience in good digestion, eating ripe fruit.

What’s your waking body temp these days? And if you don’t mind sharing, what are your cholesterol and T3 values? I’m trying to hone in my cynoplus, and it’s given a bunch of benefits, and my temp is ideal I think, but I wonder about my labs. Waking temp 98.3, cholesterol 166, but free T3 is 206, far above the range. Hope you’re doing great Jennifer, even with the cold and darkness of the winters over there where you are.
can we use organic raisins instead of grapes? dried fruits are convenient, good quality, dont expire quickly, dont need preparation or washing etc...
also pineapple has a lot of manganese and nutrients, maybe since its also a tropical fruit. i was also doing dried mangoes but stopped, they have carotene and apparently some toxins and are starchy so im not sure about them, they do taste great.
a lot of the banana chips come with coconut oil so its an easy way to get some coconut oil instead of needing to eat it with rice or by the spoonful

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

can we use organic raisins instead of grapes? dried fruits are convenient, good quality, dont expire quickly, dont need preparation or washing etc...
also pineapple has a lot of manganese and nutrients, maybe since its also a tropical fruit. i was also doing dried mangoes but stopped, they have carotene and apparently some toxins and are starchy so im not sure about them, they do taste great.
a lot of the banana chips come with coconut oil so its an easy way to get some coconut oil instead of needing to eat it with rice or by the spoonful
I think if it feels good in your gut, you don’t get any digestive or other symptoms from it, then you’re all good. With dried fruit, lack of ripeness and intestinal irritation would be my concern, personally. But my digestion reacts poorly to lots of foods.

Jennifer

I’m doing very well, thank you. :)

I can understand that. Not exactly the same as teaching but one of the jobs I had in my early teens to mid 20s was caring for children and I was very hands on, always coming up with creative things for us to do, little trips and adventures for us to take, and I totally agree, it’s a lot of responsibility and if you’re a good teacher, or in my case caregiver, you have to be fully present and on.

Ray must have been talking about Dr. Johanna Brandt and the grape cure? Having followed Natural Hygiene and Dr. Morse’s work, I’m very familiar with it. I fasted on grapes a lot, in the past. They’re one of my favorite fruits so I actually found the fast enjoyable but I can honestly say that for me, it doesn’t hold a candle to the raw milk fast. I mean, I’ve yet to hear an account of the grape cure regrowing an eyeball like the milk fast. lol

That’s great that your gut is happy with the insoluble fiber. Button mushrooms are so good! About the grapes, peaches and melon—it’s rare that I have access to that much ripe fruit. The grapes and melon were lucky finds the past two weeks and the peaches are local ones that I froze while they were still in season. Kind of gross but I don’t eat the fiber, I spit it out, this way I get to enjoy that crisp texture without the digestive issues.

Your waking temp and cholesterol are great, IMO. I’m confused about your free T3 value, though. Mine has a reference range of 2.0 – 4.4 pg/mL. My total T3 is 134 with a reference range of 60 – 181 ng/dL. Was your reverse T3 checked? My waking temp averages 98.6° and my cholesterol is 165.

Jennifer

@Jennifer milk is severely lacking in biotin, b3 and b6
why is this
its 0.3mcg biotin per cup
0.2mg b3 per cup
apparently zero b6
even liver, has 30mcg biotin per 3 oz, and 0.9mg b6 per 3ounces
b6 seems a tough nutrient to get from diet
orange juice is 0.2mg per cup i think

Do you use cronometer? If so, I have you logged 16 cups each of goat’s milk and cow’s milk before?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I’m doing very well, thank you. :)

I can understand that. Not exactly the same as teaching but one of the jobs I had in my early teens to mid 20s was caring for children and I was very hands on, always coming up with creative things for us to do, little trips and adventures for us to take, and I totally agree, it’s a lot of responsibility and if you’re a good teacher, or in my case caregiver, you have to be fully present and on.

Ray must have been talking about Dr. Johanna Brandt and the grape cure? Having followed Natural Hygiene and Dr. Morse’s work, I’m very familiar with it. I fasted on grapes a lot, in the past. They’re one of my favorite fruits so I actually found the fast enjoyable but I can honestly say that for me, it doesn’t hold a candle to the raw milk fast. I mean, I’ve yet to hear an account of the grape cure regrowing an eyeball like the milk fast. lol

That’s great that your gut is happy with the insoluble fiber. Button mushrooms are so good! About the grapes, peaches and melon—it’s rare that I have access to that much ripe fruit. The grapes and melon were lucky finds the past two weeks and the peaches are local ones that I froze while they were still in season. Kind of gross but I don’t eat the fiber, I spit it out, this way I get to enjoy that crisp texture without the digestive issues.

Your waking temp and cholesterol are great, IMO. I’m confused about your free T3 value, though. Mine has a reference range of 2.0 – 4.4 pg/mL. My total T3 is 134 with a reference range of 60 – 181 ng/dL. Was your reverse T3 checked? My waking temp averages 98.6° and my cholesterol is 165.
Little adventures sounds super fun. Yeah I agree, to teach or lead kids, you can’t do it halfway. So I suppose it puts people at risk of sacrificing too many other parts of their lives, time, or energy, and that’s what happened to me. Hopefully I can find more balance moving forward.

Oh whoops, I meant my total T3 is 206, and my cholesterol is very similar to yours. My temperature is pretty ideal, 98.3 upon waking and around 99 during the day, but I’m not getting very much deep sleep, and my digestion still isn’t perfect, which tells me that something is slightly off. I didn’t get reverse T3, but do you think such a high total T3 could indicate a reverse T3 issue? I’m confused on what could be the issue, because my temperatures and cholesterol are good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals