Rapid Heart Rate

sladerunner69

My heart rate has been pretty high lately. I know that about 85 bpm is considered optimal and and a sign of good thyroid function. However, mine can get as high as 125 when I'm sedentary, just sitting around. This is always after I drink coffee(with gelatin and sugar) or use tobacco. The lowest my heart rate ever seems to get is about 90 bpm. There is a tightness in my chest almost constantly, and sometimes there is pain. I've noticed this fast heart rate ever since starting cytomel/cytoplus. I feel nice and calm after using cytoplus, but have run out and am waiting on a new order to come in. So for now I'm just using t3, which I think has something to do with it. Please help, the tightness in my chest is aggravating and it is becoming hard to breath.

J

j.

I think Peat mentioned that happened to him when he was using high doses of T3 only. He then started limiting T3 to no more than 4 mcg of T3 per dose.

I read that it's a good idea to chew and swallow aspirin if you're have a heart attack. Maybe you should go to the ER.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sladerunner69 said:
My heart rate has been pretty high lately. I know that about 85 bpm is considered optimal and and a sign of good thyroid function. However, mine can get as high as 125 when I'm sedentary, just sitting around. This is always after I drink coffee(with gelatin and sugar) or use tobacco. The lowest my heart rate ever seems to get is about 90 bpm. There is a tightness in my chest almost constantly, and sometimes there is pain. I've noticed this fast heart rate ever since starting cytomel/cytoplus. I feel nice and calm after using cytoplus, but have run out and am waiting on a new order to come in. So for now I'm just using t3, which I think has something to do with it. Please help, the tightness in my chest is aggravating and it is becoming hard to breath.
I just had that a couple weeks ago when I accidentally over did it on cynoplus. I stopped taking cynoplus and a couple days later added cynomel only in very small doses. Some days now I don't even need any. My heart rate got up to 146. I think it was j who recommended I not take any thyroid for a day if my heart rate went over 100. I think I was just used to a certain amount and it caught me by surprise when things improved for the better. I should have cut down sooner. I can't tolerate cynoplus now but maybe down the road, who knows? I also started upping the salt and already took aspirin. Aspirin is one of the first things you do for a heart attack if that's a concern.

J

j.

I think Peat mentioned that cancer patients sometime use thyroid and get well above 100 and do fine. I just wonder what well above means in numbers.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's why I was trying to keep it around 100 for awhile but then it got way too high. In 'medical science' people start to worry at 125.

Shrimp

What is your dose of medication, and how quickly did you reach that dose? What is your basal temp?

I am not a doctor, but I would try cutting the T3 dose in half (at least) and see if things improve over a few days. I went hyper on too much medication (120mg NDT + 25mcg T3) and felt like I was going to die with a pulse of 145 and a bunch of other unpleasant symptoms. Ended up spending the night in the ER; the only thing that dropped the pulse was a few weeks worth of a beta blocker. If I were you I would cut the dose just to be safe, as ending up very hyperthyroid is a miserable experience. If you cut the dose and the pulse doesn't change, it might be an adrenaline thing.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There is a newsletter that Charlie posted from RP May 2013 Heart and Hormones that is an interesting and informative read. Bag breathing is mentioned, if your not already doing that, to help with vasodilation and anxiety while your adjusting your meds.

OP
sladerunner69

sladerunner69

Alright, I 'll try bag breathing more. I already do it a few times a day, and it seems to help for a little while after. Also, my cynoplus finally came in! It seems to help more than anything when I keep my supplemental t3:t4 ratio at about 1:3, although I'm not very precise about the dosage and measurements. I usually just alternate taking a nibbles of cynomel and a half tab of cytoplus whenever I feel I need it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals