What To Eat Before Bed To Keep Heart Rate Up During Sleep?

My morning temperature (98+) and heart rate during the day (65~) is now mostly fine.

However, during sleep, heart rate tends to drop to ~40 with lows of around 35. I wouldn't be concerned much about this if I was asymptomatic, but I think sometimes this low heart rate leads to adrenaline surges or ectopic beats that will wake me from sleep. Either direct effects of the low HR or bodily countermeasures to keep it propped up. Whenever I do wake up, I notice my heart rate is typically at a minimum and I feel quite weak, so I feel like this is the cause. My blood sugar is okay. I find it very disconcerting to wake up with a heart rate around 40 and feeling weak.

And for context I am not an athlete, I have been more or less housebound with fatigue and protracted psych drug withdrawal for 1 year - although this is slowly improving.

The best sleep I have is if I have a meal before bed, but the effects of this seem to wear off in 2-3 hours.

Ideally, I'd like something in my stomach that causes a sustained release of energy - both keeping my heart rate at a healthy level and also stabilising blood sugar variability, which may be another reason for awakening.

If I could keep my heart rate above 50 during sleep, and wake around 60+, I think I'd feel pretty good.

Any recommendations for what to eat before bed ?

Warm regards

About 97.0 - I think about what I'd expect given diurnal rhythms. Deep sleep about 1 degree colder than waking ?

you might want to wear a cap on your head during sleep if you aren't already, and just sleeping a little warmer.

I suspect there is a great deal of difference between 97 and 97.4 or 97.6 during sleep. Just a thought.

I found the eat-before-bedtime was just not helpful. Dr. Peat says it is, and that you can wake yourself up, say in 2 or 3 hours after falling asleep, and eat a bit of juice and collagen, say, and that after a few weeks your body adjusts and you don't need to do that anymore.

LCohen

Low heart rate causing adrenaline issues ? I always thought high rate causes adrenaline issues or vice versa.

OP
J
Low heart rate causing adrenaline issues ? I always thought high rate causes adrenaline issues or vice versa.

I'm describing the experience of fight or flight being triggered or correlated with episodes of low heart rate using the word adrenaline. I'm not sure of what the precise hormonal situation is.

coffe or dark chocolate 85 % +

I'm posting about sleep interruption. Only on raypeatforum would someone suggest coffee before bed...

My sleep is already very shallow and any caffeine makes me very jittery and unwell.

YourUniverse

So you feel best with a meal before bed, but it only lasts 2-3 hours. Ray says a lot of poor sleep comes down to undigested food and intestinal irritation. Maybe the food is what you need before bed, from a sugar/salt/fat/calories perspective, but its difficult to digest or causing some irritation?

What is a typical bedtime meal?

TibRex

How about 1-2 drops of Lugol's iodine in half a glass of water?

raypeatclips

If I haven't eaten enough during the day then I need to eat before bed, if I have had sufficient calories during the day then sleeping 2-3 hours after eating is fine.

If you're wanting a food that is sustained release then that's eating fat, alongside other things. You're not eating low fat are you?

Nicole W.

My morning temperature (98+) and heart rate during the day (65~) is now mostly fine.

However, during sleep, heart rate tends to drop to ~40 with lows of around 35. I wouldn't be concerned much about this if I was asymptomatic, but I think sometimes this low heart rate leads to adrenaline surges or ectopic beats that will wake me from sleep. Either direct effects of the low HR or bodily countermeasures to keep it propped up. Whenever I do wake up, I notice my heart rate is typically at a minimum and I feel quite weak, so I feel like this is the cause. My blood sugar is okay. I find it very disconcerting to wake up with a heart rate around 40 and feeling weak.

And for context I am not an athlete, I have been more or less housebound with fatigue and protracted psych drug withdrawal for 1 year - although this is slowly improving.

The best sleep I have is if I have a meal before bed, but the effects of this seem to wear off in 2-3 hours.

Ideally, I'd like something in my stomach that causes a sustained release of energy - both keeping my heart rate at a healthy level and also stabilising blood sugar variability, which may be another reason for awakening.

If I could keep my heart rate above 50 during sleep, and wake around 60+, I think I'd feel pretty good.

Warm regards
This sounds like a low blood sugar issue to me. Low blood sugar episodes in the night affect the heart beat rate. Have you tried cheese and grapes or chocolate milk, Greek yogurt and ripe fruit combos before bed. Try to find things that combine sugar, salt, protein and fat in the snack. These work for me.

theLaw

Milkshake or Powdered Milk cookies + OJ

Also this:

You might also try adding carrots to slow absorption.

sladerunner69

Warm regards

Before bed I usually have ice cream or coconut oil because saturated fat protects against inflammation caused by darkness. I will also take progesterone and aspirin which will increase the metabolism greatly, and tend to awaken quite hungry.

Mossy

I will also take progesterone and aspirin which will increase the metabolism greatly, and tend to awaken quite hungry.
This is an interesting combo. I usually don't feel too well in the AM after taking aspirin, which is what @Joeyd has experienced as well. Maybe the progesterone will counter that.

ddjd

This is an interesting combo. I usually don't feel too well in the AM after taking aspirin, which is what @Joeyd has experienced as well. Maybe the progesterone will counter that.
Yes I've found everything that increases eNOS counteracts the poor sleep quality from Aspirin. So taking minocycline or progesterone etc alongside the Aspirin really improves sleep quality.

As you say mossy, Aspirin before bed means falling asleep easily but waking up feeling like you haven't slept. Terrible

sladerunner69

Actually I experience this. I take aspirin before bed because I find it's great for falling asleep because of the mood effects. However I generally feel worse when I wake up, as opposed to not taking aspirin. If I take like 3 tablets of aspirin before bed, I will wake up feeling like a mummified corpse, unable to think clearly, and eyesight feeling strained, and the morning starts off very slow until Ive had a cup of coffee and some food. When I take progesterone before bed, it helps me to relax and I fall asleep quickly, and wake up feeling really good, like I bounce off the bed ready to begin the day. But I had to stop taking progesterone because I didn't have much libido and was feeling too lazy, like a woman.

Mossy

Yes I've found everything that increases eNOS counteracts the poor sleep quality from Aspirin. So taking minocycline or progesterone etc alongside the Aspirin really improves sleep quality.

As you say mossy, Aspirin before bed means falling asleep easily but waking up feeling like you haven't slept. Terrible
Ok, so it's increasing eNOS that is the benefiting factor here. I should've known--you are Mr. eNOS. ;)

Mossy

Actually I experience this. I take aspirin before bed because I find it's great for falling asleep because of the mood effects. However I generally feel worse when I wake up, as opposed to not taking aspirin. If I take like 3 tablets of aspirin before bed, I will wake up feeling like a mummified corpse, unable to think clearly, and eyesight feeling strained, and the morning starts off very slow until Ive had a cup of coffee and some food. When I take progesterone before bed, it helps me to relax and I fall asleep quickly, and wake up feeling really good, like I bounce off the bed ready to begin the day. But I had to stop taking progesterone because I didn't have much libido and was feeling too lazy, like a woman.
Thanks for sharing the additional info.

That's usually how it tends to go--if something really works well, there tends to be a negative right around the corner.

Do you feel there is anything to countering the libido lowering effects of progesterone with a small dose of DHEA? I have to admit, I'm wary of taking hormones—though, I do have a little experience with them. Of all the hormones, progesterone is my least used, but it has always been my plan to add a small dose of DHEA when I do take this.

Last edited:

MrThyroid

yes thats because since your body went through your glycogen stores he cant burn fat because due aspirin then you feel terrible, but feel good in first place because you only burn carbs and no pufa

ddjd

yes thats because since your body went through your glycogen stores he cant burn fat because due aspirin then you feel terrible, but feel good in first place because you only burn carbs and no pufa
Does anyone understand this sentence?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals