Sleeping Heart Rate Plummeting, Not Sure Why

Jessie

Well, just ballparking it, it sounds like that's roughly a good amount of calories. Maybe it's food timing, rather then caloric insufficiency. Have you tried eating a sugary salty snack before bed? The sugar and salt combination should lower the cortisol.

It may also help to avoid high protein meals later at night, especially dinner. I've noticed with myself that high protein meals late at night tend to cause sleep disturbances.

What are you eating the cooked fruits with? I usually find it's best to not combine fat with lots of fruit, it messes with my insulin and leptin, and causes me to overeat.

Are you eating liver? Vitamin A is important for suppressing acne, and liver is best natural source.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Well, just ballparking it, it sounds like that's roughly a good amount of calories. Maybe it's food timing, rather then caloric insufficiency. Have you tried eating a sugary salty snack before bed? The sugar and salt combination should lower the cortisol.

It may also help to avoid high protein meals later at night, especially dinner. I've noticed with myself that high protein meals late at night tend to cause sleep disturbances.

What are you eating the cooked fruits with? I usually find it's best to not combine fat with lots of fruit, it messes with my insulin and leptin, and causes me to overeat.

Are you eating liver? Vitamin A is important for suppressing acne, and liver is best natural source.

I’ve been supplementing with 1/4 cynoplus and 300 daily mg (spread out) thiamine, and while my nighttime HR does seem to be slowly creeping up, my symptoms of adrenaline and cortisol are creeping up too.

Before bed I usually drink 2 cups of salty sugary milk, which I absolutely love. I’ve been drinking a lot of milk and eating a lot of meat lately, plus plenty of carbs via fruit and sugar, but I have a variety of symptoms that I just can’t shake (white tongue, poor sleep, low resting HR at night), and it’s becoming increasingly clear that they’re all linked to digestion.

I’ve been using my temp post-meal as a gauge of what works well, but despite temps reaching 99F most days, my digestion is still horrible and I lay in bed at least an hour before falling asleep. So maybe the temp has been misguiding me, because as you said Jessie, these high temps seem to be adrenaline/cortisol related. I didn’t know stress hormones could spike temps as high as 99F.

Milk seems to be very easy on my stomach—never causes a knot or anything, like fruit seems to do. Also, my body does not seem to utilize OJ well at all. Whenever I stick to just milk, my temps get much lower, which I thought was bad, but maybe this is just a reduction in the stress hormones, which were previously spiked by digestive upset.

So I’m thinking about putting down my thermometer for a bit and looking more toward my symptoms (digestive issues, white tongue, trouble falling asleep) as a guide, prioritizing the few things they digest well. If I could only solidify what those foods are.... gah, it’s an ongoing experiment.

Recoen

I’ve been supplementing with 1/4 cynoplus and 300 daily mg (spread out) thiamine, and while my nighttime HR does seem to be slowly creeping up, my symptoms of adrenaline and cortisol are creeping up too.

Before bed I usually drink 2 cups of salty sugary milk, which I absolutely love. I’ve been drinking a lot of milk and eating a lot of meat lately, plus plenty of carbs via fruit and sugar, but I have a variety of symptoms that I just can’t shake (white tongue, poor sleep, low resting HR at night), and it’s becoming increasingly clear that they’re all linked to digestion.

I’ve been using my temp post-meal as a gauge of what works well, but despite temps reaching 99F most days, my digestion is still horrible and I lay in bed at least an hour before falling asleep. So maybe the temp has been misguiding me, because as you said Jessie, these high temps seem to be adrenaline/cortisol related. I didn’t know stress hormones could spike temps as high as 99F.

Milk seems to be very easy on my stomach—never causes a knot or anything, like fruit seems to do. Also, my body does not seem to utilize OJ well at all. Whenever I stick to just milk, my temps get much lower, which I thought was bad, but maybe this is just a reduction in the stress hormones, which were previously spiked by digestive upset.

So I’m thinking about putting down my thermometer for a bit and looking more toward my symptoms (digestive issues, white tongue, trouble falling asleep) as a guide, prioritizing the few things they digest well. If I could only solidify what those foods are.... gah, it’s an ongoing experiment.
Did this start with the added B1? Some have a refeeding syndrome type response to taking it. Maybe decrease the amount and increase more slowly? You might also need some other Bs or fat solubles and minerals with it.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Did this start with the added B1? Some have a refeeding syndrome type response to taking it. Maybe decrease the amount and increase more slowly? You might also need some other Bs or fat solubles and minerals with it.

My digestion has been troubled for a long time, and I’ve had the white tongue and imperfect sleep for just as long. The first night I tried B1, only only had 100mg and slept very well, so it’s worth trying just 100 per day and seeing how that goes. Thanks for suggesting that. I’m also supplementing 50 mg B3 with each meal.

I’m also planning on going low fiber for a bit. Hopefully that eases my digestion and works conjunctively with the cyno, B1 and B3. It’s increasingly seeming like poor digestion is the root of my problems.

Jessie

Yeah, it sounds like the milk is killing a stress response. You could try taking some activated charcoal with coconut oil about 1hr-30 mins before bed. Everyday for a week, then back off to twice a week for maintenance. This will rebalance the gut flora and limit exposure to postprandial endotoxin. Recoen makes a good point as well. Make sure you're getting enough b vitamins. Brewers yeast, or nutritional yeast, can help you out here. Best if non-fortified so you can avoid the excess iron.

I'm very specific about the fruits I eat, simply because so many of them give me digestive issues. I've noticed cooked canned fruits tend to digest really well. Something like canned pears, and cooking them with some cinnamon and sugar makes it a really good and digests well. Occasionally I'll add some gelatin to it as well.

I think Danny has mentioned canned longans being a good option too. Canned pineapple are, occasionally, very good. The bromelain is very anti-inflammatory, but I read somewhere that too much pineapple can increase serotonin. So probably best to moderate how much you eat of it.

I can eat bananas if they're really ripe, also fresh red/blue grapes seem to digest really well, for me. Organic apples are okay, even better when cooked. Conventional apples are always green, I think it's the wax they put on them, it keeps them green longer. I never do well with any melons.

So I would maybe think about changing your fruits. Or cooking them, or buying them canned, or all the above. Orange juice concentrate works well for me, better then the actual cartons of juice. I get the pulp-free OJ concentrate and just eat it straight while it's frozen, kind of like ice cream. If pulp-free bothers you, maybe try a different brand. If it still bothers you, then just 86 it. No need of forcing yourself to eat it if you're body doesn't like it.

You could also try blending some fruits (canned fruit works best ime) and heating it up to dissolve some gelatin in it. After it cools you've basically got a homemade jello. I find this to be very digestible.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yeah, it sounds like the milk is killing a stress response. You could try taking some activated charcoal with coconut oil about 1hr-30 mins before bed. Everyday for a week, then back off to twice a week for maintenance. This will rebalance the gut flora and limit exposure to postprandial endotoxin. Recoen makes a good point as well. Make sure you're getting enough b vitamins. Brewers yeast, or nutritional yeast, can help you out here. Best if non-fortified so you can avoid the excess iron.

I'm very specific about the fruits I eat, simply because so many of them give me digestive issues. I've noticed cooked canned fruits tend to digest really well. Something like canned pears, and cooking them with some cinnamon and sugar makes it a really good and digests well. Occasionally I'll add some gelatin to it as well.

I think Danny has mentioned canned longans being a good option too. Canned pineapple are, occasionally, very good. The bromelain is very anti-inflammatory, but I read somewhere that too much pineapple can increase serotonin. So probably best to moderate how much you eat of it.

I can eat bananas if they're really ripe, also fresh red/blue grapes seem to digest really well, for me. Organic apples are okay, even better when cooked. Conventional apples are always green, I think it's the wax they put on them, it keeps them green longer. I never do well with any melons.

So I would maybe think about changing your fruits. Or cooking them, or buying them canned, or all the above. Orange juice concentrate works well for me, better then the actual cartons of juice. I get the pulp-free OJ concentrate and just eat it straight while it's frozen, kind of like ice cream. If pulp-free bothers you, maybe try a different brand. If it still bothers you, then just 86 it. No need of forcing yourself to eat it if you're body doesn't like it.

You could also try blending some fruits (canned fruit works best ime) and heating it up to dissolve some gelatin in it. After it cools you've basically got a homemade jello. I find this to be very digestible.

you’re definitely right about the fruit selectivity. I’ve noticed easy digestion with most cooked fruits (berries, apples) and fresh grapes as well. As part of my low/no fiber trial, I grabbed a gallon of organic Costco orange juice, and I noticed minimal digestive issues. A little gas and acidic feeling in my tummy, but no bloating, which is amazing because I’ve had daily bloating for years.

I’ve been predominantly goat milk, organic OJ, gelatin, some liver, a little beef, coconut oil, and maple syrup for the past two days, and I’m having a hard time telling if it’s benefitting me or not. Pretty much like whenever I make a dietary change, it seems some symptoms improve while others worsen.

Downsides: Last night, the second night of low fiber, my sleeping heart rate dropped a good bit again, 5 points lower than it was the night before. All yesterday I felt calm to the point of sleepy, despite consuming over 3000 kcal and plenty of sugar. I’ve also had no nighttime erections (which I only would get occasionally anyway, but I use it as a metric of diet efficacy). Perhaps all or some of these symptoms relate to lowered stress hormones, in which case I do not want to stop early. Also, my white tongue is still coated, and my acne hasn’t gone away, but it’s been just two days.

Upsides: I took a tsp of salt before bed last night and slept very deeply. Most hours of sleep I’ve had in a long time, although I felt groggy this morning. Still, even though I usually wake up several times throughout the night, last night I slept straight through for like 8 hours. Also, I don’t feel any knots in my stomach, which i used to feel constantly when I was eating more fresh fruit.

seems like whenever my digestion settles down, my temps drop. Perhaps that’s a good thing (stress hormones going down), although there’s some initial grogginess that accompanies it.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Tldr—— Idea: my previous high fat carnivore diet led my body to prefer fat as an energy source, so now when I introduce fat AND sugar, my body tries to use the fat and wastes the sugar.

OR I’m just eating too much ******* watermelon.

~~~~

The last three days, I’ve been eating tons of watermelon (and less sugar from refined sources) because my body seems to digest it very easily. My acne and white tongue are going away, I’m pooping (liquidy but poo nonetheless) twice a day, and the high watermelon meals (like 1/2 of a watermelon per meal) always get my energy, temps, and pulse up. So digestively it’s a win, and my mood and cognitive function have been good.

But I’ve been still tracking my nighttime heart rate, hoping it stops dropping so much, and the last two nights, my heart rate has done very different things.
~~~~~

Day/Night one. All day I ate tons of watermelon (2 watermelons throughout the day), drank my 2 quarts milk, had a bit of pineapple, and ate about 1/2 lb of meat, in addition to my morning coffee/syrup/milk. Ended with a tablespoon of honey before bed. Throughout the day I peed quite a bit, but did not wake up much at night to pee. Supplemented throughout the day with mg bicarbonate, lots of salt (high liquid intake), b1, and b3. Did not have much deep sleep, but my sleeping HR was 59 (much higher than my usual dip). Woke up feeling chipper.

Should also note that next morning (morning after night 1) I had what felt like a blood sugar response after sugar, 2 eggs, coffee and 1/2 watermelon—kinda dizzy, excited, low temps, but these went away after I had a tbsp of coconut oil.
~~~~~~~~~~

Day/night two. Ate the same exact diet, but added 2 extra tbsp of coconut oil throughout the day, carrot salad, and conventional liver. Again, peed a lot during the day. Should add that after dinner (watermelon and liver) I noticed I felt bloated. Had the honey before bed, went to bed, pulse tanked to 52 by 1 AM. But the weird thing is, that even though I didn’t eat anything, my pulse slowly crept back up, averaging around 57 for the rest of the night.

~~~~

Perplexed as to what it could be. Too much watermelon throughout the day? Could the added fat of day 2 have caused my body to burn fat instead of sugar? Since I’m coming off high fat carnivore (stopped in May), maybe my body still prefers fat when it has it?

I’m intrigued by the following quotation from Peat, which I found in his “Glucose and Sucrose for Diabetes”:

“A lowered metabolic rate and energy production is a common feature of aging and most degenerative diseases. From the beginning of an animal's life, sugars are the primary source of energy, and with maturation and aging there is a shift toward replacing sugar oxidation with fat oxidation. Old people are able to metabolize fat at the same rate as younger people, but their overall metabolic rate is lower, because they are unable to oxidize sugar at the same high rate as young people. Fat people have a similar selectively reduced ability to oxidize sugar.

Stress and starvation lead to a relative reliance on the fats stored in the tissues, and the mobilization of these as circulating free fatty acids contributes to a slowing of metabolism and a shift away from the use of glucose for energy. This is adaptive in the short term, since relatively little glucose is stored in the tissues (as glycogen), and the proteins making up the body would be rapidly consumed for energy, if it were not for the reduced energy demands resulting from the effects of the free fatty acids.” (Peat)

would this mean that, if my previously stressed and kinda chubby 28 year old body gets enough opportunity to use fat, it will prefer fat over glucose? Perhaps the coconut oil allowed my body to use fat instead of glucose, thus peeing out the sugar and not using it? I might be way off here. I’m also confused because I thought saturated fats had beneficial effects on blood sugar, when used in conjunction with sugars. But with my current suspicion, saturated fats cause the body not to use sugar... Maybe I’m missing something?

Then, continuing this thought, thiamine would definitely help by increasing my body’s propensity to use sugar as energy (at least from what I seem to understand).

I also see that one watermelon contains about 250 grams of sugar. And I’m eating two per day... I might just be eating way too much sugar.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Another (much awaited) update! The watermelon and OJ both seemed promising at first, but stopped working after about a week or so. In both cases I peed a lot and began getting depressed and anxious, and in neither case did I have any lasting improvements in sleep.

It still feels like every night when I lay in bed, the adrenaline surges. It’s so weird because my pulse is high all day (75-100), but tanks at night, dropping down to 50. I’m a teacher, and the school year’s beginning has directly coincided with such marked symptoms.

I didn’t notice any change after a week of cynoplus 1/4 tab nightly, and I’m still supplementing niacinamide and thiamine, but I’m thinking of adding in small doses of cynomel throughout the day (12.5 mcg spread out) to see if that improves my sleep. I’d love to hear peoples’ thoughts on if they think this is a good idea or not. As always, thanks for the help.

Jessie

Yeah, watermelon would do similar things with me. It makes me pee a lot, possibly due to the high water content. My hands and feet would get cold, and then the urination would move in. Pretty much the classic stress response.

Have you tried grapes? For whatever reason I can always tolerate grapes really well, probably more so then even orange juice. You could also try safer starches, like potatoes or white rice. I think starches' tendency to raise insulin more then fruit can have situational benefits. Eating a starchy meal close to bedtime will raise insulin causing adrenaline to lower, which could give you a sound night of sleep.

The additional cynomel shouldn't be a problem, just space the doses out in 2-3 mcgs. Too much at one time could certainly cause a stress response.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yeah, watermelon would do similar things with me. It makes me pee a lot, possibly due to the high water content. My hands and feet would get cold, and then the urination would move in. Pretty much the classic stress response.

Have you tried grapes? For whatever reason I can always tolerate grapes really well, probably more so then even orange juice. You could also try safer starches, like potatoes or white rice. I think starches' tendency to raise insulin more then fruit can have situational benefits. Eating a starchy meal close to bedtime will raise insulin causing adrenaline to lower, which could give you a sound night of sleep.

The additional cynomel shouldn't be a problem, just space the doses out in 2-3 mcgs. Too much at one time could certainly cause a stress response.

Yep, organic seedless grapes have been the best fruit for me so far, but I’m trying to avoid living off of grapes as my primary carb source. If that’s what will help me heal though, I’d definitely do it. I’m going to have to cut back on the OJ — too much cold liquid I think.

when I tried potatoes before, I got terrible SIBO-type symptoms after a few days, so I think they’re a no-go. Not sure about white rice though, and I did not know about insulin lowering adrenaline! Something to experiment for sure and help me avoid a state of absolute helplessness. That’s one thing I really like about this forum — never out of ideas. I appreciate the thoughts Jessie, as always, and I’ll keep you all updated.

yerrag

1400 mg of mag bicarbonate

Do you mean 1400mg elemental magnesium? Isn't this a bit much? Or is it the equivalent of 233mg elemental magnesium only?

yerrag

Heart rate that's higher does not always mean you have a higher metabolism, so if your heart rate went down, it could be possible that your heart is pumping more efficiently, thus requiring less strokes. My heart rate is usually at 68, but there are times I'd see it go to 95, and there are times I'd see it go down to 55. It's hard for me to know why that happens.

Unless something major occurs (getting worse or getting better for good), it reverts to my what I consider the norm. In my case, sleep rate is 55. And daytime rate is 68.

I'm more likely to see changes in my body temperature and my oxygen saturation that stick rather than changes in heart rate that stick. At least, that's my experience as my temp has gone up and my oxygen saturation has gone down, since I joined the forum 4 years ago. My heart rate has stayed steady at 68.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Do you mean 1400mg elemental magnesium? Isn't this a bit much? Or is it the equivalent of 233mg elemental magnesium only?

Thanks for the reply! You’re right — it is a bit much. I’ve heard body weight x 5 as the recommendation from Josh Rubin, so since then I’ve adjusted my mg down to 1000

Heart rate that's higher does not always mean you have a higher metabolism, so if your heart rate went down, it could be possible that your heart is pumping more efficiently, thus requiring less strokes. My heart rate is usually at 68, but there are times I'd see it go to 95, and there are times I'd see it go down to 55. It's hard for me to know why that happens.

Unless something major occurs (getting worse or getting better for good), it reverts to my what I consider the norm. In my case, sleep rate is 55. And daytime rate is 68.

I'm more likely to see changes in my body temperature and my oxygen saturation that stick rather than changes in heart rate that stick. At least, that's my experience as my temp has gone up and my oxygen saturation has gone down, since I joined the forum 4 years ago. My heart rate has stayed steady at 68.

Good points. My daytime resting heart rate is higher (85 avg) than yours, and still drops lower (50), and it’s the large drop that concerns me. Like over 35% HR dip. I’m not sure why my heart rate drops a larger % than pretty much anyone I know. But perhaps it isn’t a problem. According to my SleepWatch app, having such a large heart rate dip is a good thing.

Over a few months featuring carbs, protein, calcium, my daytime temps have gone way up, so that definitely indicates a positive change. Plus, when I wake up, my temps/pulse are all right (97.6 Fahrenheit/75 bpm after a few minutes awake).

The reason I believe it’s a problem though, is that I have a lot of symptoms that still persist, despite the higher daytime temps. For example, I still never have normal, smooth BMs. I have gained a lot of fat in my lower abdomen exclusively. still lay awake feeling what seems to be high adrenaline for at least an hour every night before sleeping. Two months ago, my resting heart rate only dropped down to 60 bpm, but now it drops lower. I’ve noticed also that on morning where it drops extra low, I feel much crankier in the morning. And often, despite my 98.6 temp, I still feel depressed. These symptoms leads me to believe that despite my high daytime temps, my metabolism is not optimal.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

After taking T3 yesterday (only about 6 mcg total, throughout the second half of the day), I did feel calmer. My nighttime pulse stayed a bit higher for a few hours, and then dropped down again (53) at about 3 am. Waking up today, I feel pretty decent actually, not terrible, but I have the lowest waking temp I’ve had in a long time —97.0... Could this be from a reduction in stress hormones? Recently I’ve been waking up 97.6 pretty consistently

yerrag

Good points. My daytime resting heart rate is higher (85 avg) than yours, and still drops lower (50), and it’s the large drop that concerns me. Like over 35% HR dip. I’m not sure why my heart rate drops a larger % than pretty much anyone I know. But perhaps it isn’t a problem. According to my SleepWatch app, having such a large heart rate dip is a good thing.

I've read comments saying that magnesium lowers heart rate. Not that it's a bad thing, as maybe it just makes the heart pumping more efficient.

When you said you're taking 1400 mg mag bicarbonate, did you mean 1400 mg elemental magnesiumm or did you mean 1400 mg magnesium bicarbonate? As I wouldn't go as high as 1400mg elemental, even spread throughout the day. If you were doing that, I would be amazed that you weren't having diarrhea. But if you were, then maybe that could explain your heart rate plummeting.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I've read comments saying that magnesium lowers heart rate. Not that it's a bad thing, as maybe it just makes the heart pumping more efficient.

When you said you're taking 1400 mg mag bicarbonate, did you mean 1400 mg elemental magnesiumm or did you mean 1400 mg magnesium bicarbonate? As I wouldn't go as high as 1400mg elemental, even spread throughout the day. If you were doing that, I would be amazed that you weren't having diarrhea. But if you were, then maybe that could explain your heart rate plummeting.

Sorry I didn’t answer that more clearly when you first asked! It’s 1400mg elemental. I did have diarrhea for a few days, but that went away when I switched to more solid foods. I’ve heard 1000mg recommended several places, so I didn’t think 1400 was too much more than recommended, but people on this thread have mentioned that magnesium made them hypoglycemic. Maybe that’s the culprit.

My resting heart rate continues to plummet, and it seems to begin as soon as it gets dark. Maybe a calorie thing? Maybe a loss of sunlight thing?

yerrag

I’ve heard 1000mg recommended several places, so I didn’t think 1400 was too much more than recommended, but people on this thread have mentioned that magnesium made them hypoglycemic. Maybe that’s the culprit.

Well, you were pretty aggressive with your dosage. 400mg above what people recommended in the internet of 1000 is 40% above. But what I've also read was that 400 mg is a maintenance dosage and 600-800mg is a therapeutic dosage.

As for magnesium making them hypoglycemic, maybe it's because it increases metabolism, and the rate at which sugar is used is increased as well. But the hypoglycemic effect would kick in if the body doesn't have enough glycogen stores to keep blood sugar levels constant at an optimal level.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I
Well, you were pretty aggressive with your dosage. 400mg above what people recommended in the internet of 1000 is 40% above. But what I've also read was that 400 mg is a maintenance dosage and 600-800mg is a therapeutic dosage.

As for magnesium making them hypoglycemic, maybe it's because it increases metabolism, and the rate at which sugar is used is increased as well. But the hypoglycemic effect would kick it if their body doesn't have enough glycogen stores to keep blood sugar levels constant at an optimal level.
I will lower my dosage for sure. Perhaps the hypoglycemia system you describe is what’s been happening to me, causing the low blood sugar-type symptoms at bedtime and throughout the night.

yerrag

I

I will lower my dosage for sure. Perhaps the hypoglycemia system you describe is what’s been happening to me, causing the low blood sugar-type symptoms at bedtime and throughout the night.
That may help. You may even consider giving yourself a break from magnesium supplementation for a week or two. And if there's anything you can take from this, it's to be cautious with dosage even if it's only supplements. A gradual increase to needed dosage is also helpful. As Paracelsius said, the poison is in the dosage.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

That may help. You may even consider giving yourself a break from magnesium supplementation for a week or two. And if there's anything you can take from this, it's to be cautious with dosage even if it's only supplements. A gradual increase to needed dosage is also helpful. As Paracelsius said, the poison is in the dosage.
Appreciate it!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals