Sleeping Heart Rate Plummeting, Not Sure Why

tara

Average daily calories?
Covering all basic micros - minerals and vitamins?
No veges?
Do you have reason to think you do better with lots of sugar and virtually no starch?

How much are you drinking? Dark pee seems likely to indicate more, or spread through the day more, could be good.

tara

I’ve heard 1000mg recommended several places, so I didn’t think 1400 was too much more than recommended, but people on this thread have mentioned that magnesium made them hypoglycemic.
I've also seen recommendations to not supplement magnesium when dehydrated. Consider increasing water and halving Mg?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Average daily calories?
Covering all basic micros - minerals and vitamins?
No veges?
Do you have reason to think you do better with lots of sugar and virtually no starch?

How much are you drinking? Dark pee seems likely to indicate more, or spread through the day more, could be good.

average daily cals have been about 3200, and the makeup looks like this:
770 - OJ
1300 - milk
400 - fruit (mostly grapes, bit of pineapple)
300 - cheese
300 - meat/eggs
+/-200 - sugar
70 - gelatin

I think I’ve got the basics covered as far as micros and vitamins, but would love to hear if you think I’m missing anything. I supplemented b1 and b3 for a bit, but I didn’t notice a change after two weeks of that. Maybe I should’ve stuck with them longer.

It’s weird because over summer I was eating basically the exact same diet, but my nighttime HR was 10 bpm higher (60) and I felt way better.

When I tried potatoes and squash, after a few days I got a lot of gut fermentation, which went away when I switched back to fruit. Plus my appetite never seems to want them.

Overall, I was probably drinking 1.5 gallons of liquid, (8 cups milk, 8 cups OJ, 4 cups coffee, 3 cups mag bicarb) My pee was a medium yellow at the time, so I’m not sure liquids were the problem, I just read about people struggling with that.

I tried cutting the OJ for a day or two (sad because I love it) and I peed less, but my heart rate continued to drop despite the lower liquid. It actually reached a new recent low (49) last night. The T3 has helped in the short term — my depression and listlessness went away today.

I’m still on lower liquid — I replaced the OJ with actual fruit, which is more like what I was doing over summer when my HR was higher.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I've also seen recommendations to not supplement magnesium when dehydrated. Consider increasing water and halving Mg?

I’m suspicious that mag might have something to do with it! When I lower my mag supplementation, how long before I should expect to see a bounce back in HR? I tried a day without mag last week, and my HR continued to drop.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yesterday I took only a tiny bit of T3 (12.5 mcg) split throughout the day and felt great. Throughout the night my HR did not dip below 58 bpm, which was an instant improvement.

However, I just got Tyromix, and since it has a relatively high ratio of T3 to t4, I thought it would be good so I used one drop of tyromix in place of my cynomel (pure T3). Instant panic, irritability, lack of sociability, and dropping heart rate. My conclusion is that my body struggled to convert t4 to T3, which to my understanding is a liver issue. To further support this theory, my blood work from about a year ago revealed an inflamed liver. I’m still not sure why my T4-T3 conversion has gotten worse over my months of Peat-inspired eating, but improving liver function is a necessary goal.

Since the T3 seems to help and improve my metabolism, could it be a tool in lowering estrogen and overall inflammation, raising CO2, and ultimately helping heal my liver? Would love to hear your thoughts.

tara

When I lower my mag supplementation, how long before I should expect to see a bounce back in HR? I tried a day without mag last week, and my HR continued to drop.
I don't know how it would affect you, just a hunch that it could be something else to try, since you are taking a high dose. I am concerned about the low liquid, especially if you're peeing dark.

For me, if I skip Mg supplement one day I risk increase in symptoms. If I skip two days I'm almost certain to get symptoms. My symptoms are not the same as yours, but it might suggest that effects on some issues could be quite quick?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I don't know how it would affect you, just a hunch that it could be something else to try, since you are taking a high dose. I am concerned about the low liquid, especially if you're peeing dark.

For me, if I skip Mg supplement one day I risk increase in symptoms. If I skip two days I'm almost certain to get symptoms. My symptoms are not the same as yours, but it might suggest that effects on some issues could be quite quick?
I stopped mag completely for two days and got constipated, but even on the mag my poops have been incomplete and just off in general. I will settle into a lower daily mag dose, rather than none. Also, after two days no mag, my pulse dropped very low again last night, so I don’t think that’s the main issue.

I also noticed that the T3 lost effectiveness after two days, which I take as signaling the exhaustion of some vitamins. About a week ago I stopped the b1 and b3 but that was naive I think—should have been more consistent with them. For now, I’m going to move forward with:
  • Plenty of calories
  • Plenty of carbs from fruit
  • Plenty of milk
  • Plenty of liver/meat/eggs/oysters
  • 500 mg daily b3
  • 300 mg daily b1
  • 18 mcg daily T3
I may also try progesterone in the name of science. Of course always tracking my symptoms and pulse and temp. I appreciate the ideas and am open to any other suggestions.

If the T3 continues to not do much, I plan not to increase it further, because to me that indicates that my body has some other issue causing it not to respond to the T3.

tara

Does clean water taste good to you?
I found it harder to assess thirst if I only drank OJ and other sweet or high-flavour drinks.

tara

Personally, I would not feel well on the diet you describe. But people seem to have different needs, so maybe it's OK for you. For me ATM, I feel better for more vegetables, and I don't handle milk well.

AIUI, T3 has a short half-life, and it seems common for people to benefit from a little of the slower-used T4 in the evening to get through the night. Another alternative might be to wake yourself up in the night for a small dose of T3 so it doesn't run too low before morning. Isn't that a possible cause of low waking heartrate?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Personally, I would not feel well on the diet you describe. But people seem to have different needs, so maybe it's OK for you. For me ATM, I feel better for more vegetables, and I don't handle milk well.

AIUI, T3 has a short half-life, and it seems common for people to benefit from a little of the slower-used T4 in the evening to get through the night. Another alternative might be to wake yourself up in the night for a small dose of T3 so it doesn't run too low before morning. Isn't that a possible cause of low waking heartrate?

To be honest, I don’t enjoy my meals very much these days. I eat that way because I feel like it applies “Peat principles” (fructose, calcium>phosphate, low PUFA, high calorie) and because it’s the same diet I ate over summer, when my temps/pulse were rising and I felt sharp and energized. I don’t understand why that same diet is affecting me differently nowadays. Is it possible that my goat milk digested well in the past and now causes problems?

I am certainly open to veggies in my diet — what are your favorite veggies Tara? Potatoes gave me trouble over summer so I’m going to continue trying to avoid starch. Without milk, I have a major calorie gap to fill. Where do you get most of your calories?

tara

To be honest, I don’t enjoy my meals very much these days. I eat that way because I feel like it applies “Peat principles” (fructose, calcium>phosphate, low PUFA, high calorie) and because it’s the same diet I ate over summer, when my temps/pulse were rising and I felt sharp and energized. I don’t understand why that same diet is affecting me differently nowadays. Is it possible that my goat milk digested well in the past and now causes problems?

I am certainly open to veggies in my diet — what are your favorite veggies Tara? Potatoes gave me trouble over summer so I’m going to continue trying to avoid starch. Without milk, I have a major calorie gap to fill. Where do you get most of your calories?
Peat principles, as far as I can tell, include observing the effect of food for you. I'd suggest eating food you like the taste of (while limiting PUFAs, and considering overall balance of nutrition. Personally, I start to feel sick if I eat sweet food only, and feel better if I also have savoury food, including starchy foods and veges. I eat lots of different veges, somewhat affected by season. Most days I eat at least one from the onion family, some kind of leafy green, and some kind of root vege, and often some raw carrot, and sometimes pulses, when inseason, fruit vegetables like cucumbers, courgettes, capsicum, ....
After I tried taking a break from starchy foods for a while it took a few days to readjust before my gut was happy with potatoes again.
I figure taste is on of the useful inputs. Not always entirely reliable. But if you are sick of eating sweet food, could be your system doesn't want more sugar ATM.

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Peat principles, as far as I can tell, include observing the effect of food for you. I'd suggest eating food you like the taste of (while limiting PUFAs, and considering overall balance of nutrition. Personally, I start to feel sick if I eat sweet food only, and feel better if I also have savoury food, including starchy foods and veges. I eat lots of different veges, somewhat affected by season. Most days I eat at least one from the onion family, some kind of leafy green, and some kind of root vege, and often some raw carrot, and sometimes pulses, when inseason, fruit vegetables like cucumbers, courgettes, capsicum, ....
After I tried taking a break from starchy foods for a while it took a few days to readjust before my gut was happy with potatoes again.
I figure taste is on of the useful inputs. Not always entirely reliable. But if you are sick of eating sweet food, could be your system doesn't want more sugar ATM.

Thanks Tara. Last night I bought a green leafy mix and made a salty broth out of it. Today, I feel like I have my energy back. This may have been a big puzzle piece. Fingers crossed.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

For the most part, my plummeting heart rate at night has improved. Lately, it stays around 60 (instead of 50) for most of the night, only dropping down to 55 right before I wake up, just before dawn.

The issue seems to have been related mostly to blood sugar levels dipping too low in the morning, setting off a day of blood glucose ups and downs. I think the biggest help has been nixing my previous breakfast of eggs and maple syrup, instead drinking milky, sugary coffee. Peat suggested in an email to me that when glycogen stores are low, the high quality protein in eggs could lower blood sugar, especially when vit D and thyroid are low. He recommended starting with a breakfast of milk and carbs, before having eggs. These past three days, with the new breakfast, my energy levels and mood have been much more stable, and my nighttime heart rate maintaining better.

Last edited:

Candy

So you have milk and carbohydrates for breakfast before eggs? I have the same problem as soon as 10 pm arrives and my frequency starts to drop to 60, 55 and my regular breakfast is eggs and orange juice.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

So you have milk and carbohydrates for breakfast before eggs? I have the same problem as soon as 10 pm arrives and my frequency starts to drop to 60, 55 and my regular breakfast is eggs and orange juice.

Aside from breakfast, do you drink a lot of orange juice throughout the day? Do you pee a lot? When I was drinking lots of OJ and milk, lots of fluids, my pee frequency increased and I began to feel worse.

Yes, I have raw whole goat milk, coffee, and maple syrup as my breakfast. Usually a few cups of it. I feel sharper in the last few mornings that I’ve been doing this. If you tolerate milk well, I would give it a shot, having just milk and carbs first, then waiting about an hour before having the eggs, and see how it affects your energy throughout the day and your pulse.

Additionally, I find that having warm milk without any other solid foods, just sugar, helps me digest it. Perhaps the mix of OJ and eggs is negatively affecting digestion of one or the other.

Last edited:

Candy

I no longer drink juice during the day. And if I urinate a lot but less than before starting this type of diet. In the middle of the morning I drink a pint of whole cow's milk. I will change first thing in the morning it will be milk. I have noticed that when my pulse rises above 75 it is when I have starches or more cooked things, if it is milk or juice, it stays at 65 and 75. My temperature is very good 36.9 when I wake up and 37 to 37.5 after eating.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I no longer drink juice during the day. And if I urinate a lot but less than before starting this type of diet. In the middle of the morning I drink a pint of whole cow's milk. I will change first thing in the morning it will be milk. I have noticed that when my pulse rises above 75 it is when I have starches or more cooked things, if it is milk or juice, it stays at 65 and 75. My temperature is very good 36.9 when I wake up and 37 to 37.5 after eating.

Have you tried warming the milk first in a pot, and having it with sugar? Drinking milk this way seems to energize me more than when it’s cold.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals