Building A Peat Friendly Home

Ritchie

Hi all, I am currently in the process of building a house from the ground up and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions/ideas/advice/comments or experience as to making it as Peat friendly as possible. Ideas on types of lighting, heating, cooling, installations, technology (or lack there of), fixtures and fittings and so forth, any and all feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated! A designated cabinet for all of haidut's supplements is already on the agenda :ss

Peat Tong

get a lot of sunlight into every room. and somewhere to privately get direct sunlight on whole body.

tankasnowgod

Hi all, I am currently in the process of building a house from the ground up and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions/ideas/advice/comments or experience as to making it as Peat friendly as possible. Ideas on types of lighting, heating, cooling, installations, technology (or lack there of), fixtures and fittings and so forth, any and all feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated! A designated cabinet for all of haidut's supplements is already on the agenda :ss

Nice! I've been thinking about some things I would do in this regard. Lighting would be one of the biggest for me. They have those LED lights where you can change the color. If possible, I would have switches on the wall where you could change between White, Orange/Yellow, and Red. I was also thinking I would put in lots of red or infrared in the shower (I think it would look really cool, and be a great place to get full body red light). I would probably also have a built in Sauna room, or maybe put in multiple heat lamps in the bathroom.

I'm interested in the idea of sleeping under infrared light, so I would maybe put in some infrared only lights in the bedroom. If it was in the city with lots of those super bright LEDs, I would also consider some amber window tint in the bedrooms, in addition to blackout curtains.

I don't really know how big a deal EMFs are, but if I had control over everything, I would make sure that electricians route electrical wires along the floors, ceiling, or corners of the room, not mid-wall (which I've heard is common, but I don't know for sure).

And another thing that would be nice would be a filtration system that filters ALL water coming into the house, for things like chlorine and fluoride. I think copper piping would be a good thing, too.

Heat Lamp Fixture (I think they have ones with Four bulbs too)- Broan 163 Type IC Infrared Two-Bulb Ceiling Heater, 250 Watt - Ceiling Heat Lamp Fixtures - Amazon.com

Color Changing LEDS- Yangcsl 10W A19 Timing Remote Controller RGB Color Changing LED Light Bulbs, Double Memory and Wall Switch Control, 60W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent (Pack of 4) - - Amazon.com

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

get a lot of sunlight into every room. and somewhere to privately get direct sunlight on whole body.
Thanks! Yes sunlight orientation with respect to all the rooms is definitely of major consideration, some will get more than others but I'm working on getting as much as possible into all areas of the house. Great idea about a private space for whole body sunbathing!

Kyle M

Check the outlets for dirty electricity (peaks in current outside of the 60V specification) with a millivoltmeter, there are regulators you can put on outlets that are performing improperly. Also probably a good idea to wire ethernet to your office or wherever you want to make primary use of computers or a streaming or gaming system. If you have Wifi, try to put it in the center of the house on the ceiling, in a place that is as far as practical from where you loiter at.

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

Nice! I've been thinking about some things I would do in this regard. Lighting would be one of the biggest for me. They have those LED lights where you can change the color. If possible, I would have switches on the wall where you could change between White, Orange/Yellow, and Red. I was also thinking I would put in lots of red or infrared in the shower (I think it would look really cool, and be a great place to get full body red light). I would probably also have a built in Sauna room, or maybe put in multiple heat lamps in the bathroom.

I'm interested in the idea of sleeping under infrared light, so I would maybe put in some infrared only lights in the bedroom. If it was in the city with lots of those super bright LEDs, I would also consider some amber window tint in the bedrooms, in addition to blackout curtains.

I don't really know how big a deal EMFs are, but if I had control over everything, I would make sure that electricians route electrical wires along the floors, ceiling, or corners of the room, not mid-wall (which I've heard is common, but I don't know for sure).

And another thing that would be nice would be a filtration system that filters ALL water coming into the house, for things like chlorine and fluoride. I think copper piping would be a good thing, too.

Heat Lamp Fixture (I think they have ones with Four bulbs too)- Broan 163 Type IC Infrared Two-Bulb Ceiling Heater, 250 Watt - Ceiling Heat Lamp Fixtures - Amazon.com

Color Changing LEDS- Yangcsl 10W A19 Timing Remote Controller RGB Color Changing LED Light Bulbs, Double Memory and Wall Switch Control, 60W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent (Pack of 4) - - Amazon.com
Some really cool ideas! I agree with you, lighting is one of the biggest things and I've also been thinking about installing red and infrared over the shower and/or bath and an option for infrared only lights in the bedroom. I hadn't considered a sauna room but I might look into that.. Great idea about amber window tints for the rooms that are exposed to street lights etc, and the routing of electrical wires (hadn't thought of that)!
Ah yes, a filtration system that filters all the water coming into the house. Definitely on the agenda, I'm just trying to work out which would be the best filter for that purpose so I'm researching it atm.. I hadn't thought about the piping material either, thank you

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

Check the outlets for dirty electricity (peaks in current outside of the 60V specification) with a millivoltmeter, there are regulators you can put on outlets that are performing improperly. Also probably a good idea to wire ethernet to your office or wherever you want to make primary use of computers or a streaming or gaming system. If you have Wifi, try to put it in the center of the house on the ceiling, in a place that is as far as practical from where you loiter at.
Thankyou, yeah the question of wifi and whether or not to have it is a tough one. Using a designated area with ethernet for all internet related activities is a good idea and would avoid overexposure I guess. The question is, if you are always using a phone with internet connection would it still matter about wifi or are they just as bad as each other

Kyle M

Thankyou, yeah the question of wifi and whether or not to have it is a tough one. Using a designated area with ethernet for all internet related activities is a good idea and would avoid overexposure I guess. The question is, if you are always using a phone with internet connection would it still matter about wifi or are they just as bad as each other
I don't know what the relative intensities are, but you can turn off Wifi and/or your phone (put it on airplane mode) when you aren't using one or the other or both. I'm assuming Wifi is, locally speaking, more intense than cell phone tower radiation. Of course you can't avoid tower radiation without a Faraday cage, but practically speaking the things mentioned here are better than nothing.

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

Yeah I agree, I think switching off wifi and airplane mode for the phone when not using is a good practice to get into. Keeping the actual wifi unit away from bedrooms is a good idea also, perhaps like you suggest in the ceiling space.

Dan W

I haven't looked into it thoroughly, but low-VOC paint/flooring/carpeting might be worth investigating. And perhaps a whole-house-fan for both efficiency and fresh air intake.

milk_lover

Red light everywhere in the house will be so cool but I am afraid people may mistake it for a whore house!

I agree with people on letting as much sun as possible through windows at day time. Something really clicks for me when I go rent a house with a lot of windows and listen to music while drinking my morning coffee. You get stronger with zero exercise.

Maybe this is already too late because it sounds like you already have the land and in the process of construction, but I am thinking of elevation and CO2 levels.

There is a show called Better Call Saul. A guy in it named Chuck has EMF sensitivity issues so he covers his entire house with tin foil and he feels better this way, I don't know if this is scientifically proven!

I would use carpet everywhere in the house during winter time to make the house warmer and speaking of winter, if you are in a cold country, having a fire place in the house sounds very comfy, getting the natural heat and red light.

Also you might think of a small farm in the backyard maybe to have your cow/goat and chickens for fresh milk and eggs. Thinking about that makes me hungry.

HLP

Smaller windows in bedroom so as to let less light in.

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

I haven't looked into it thoroughly, but low-VOC paint/flooring/carpeting might be worth investigating. And perhaps a whole-house-fan for both efficiency and fresh air intake.
Low VOC paint etc is a good idea, looked into it and there are quite a few good options so thanks for highlighting :hattipI actually had no idea how bad VOCs can be!
When you say a whole house fan are you thinking like similar to central heating with vents in each room that act to circulate the air and bring it in from the outside?

OP
Ritchie

Ritchie

Red light everywhere in the house will be so cool but I am afraid people may mistake it for a whore house!
Haha yeah I will definitely be talk of the street

Maybe this is already too late because it sounds like you already have the land and in the process of construction, but I am thinking of elevation and CO2 levels.
Yeah already have the land, although haven't quite started construction, still in the planning stage. As far as elevation goes it's not very high up but it is very close to the sea.

There is a show called Better Call Saul. A guy in it named Chuck has EMF sensitivity issues so he covers his entire house with tin foil and he feels better this way, I don't know if this is scientifically proven!
Haha yeah I've seen the show, not sure about a red light house covered entirely in tin foil though :lol:

I would use carpet everywhere in the house during winter time to make the house warmer and speaking of winter, if you are in a cold country, having a fire place in the house sounds very comfy, getting the natural heat and red light.
Carpet is a tricky one because yes it is warmer but it does accumulate dust/dirt etc. Not sure about it. Perhaps just in the bedrooms and polished concrete/timber through the rest with hydronic heating in the slab for winter. And yes love fire places! As many as possible haha

steel_reserve

An alternative to a house fan is a heat recovery ventilator.

Maybe you can have a sub panel for the electric on the second floor or where your bedrooms are so that you can shut off the AC at night and have a separate DC feed for your recharging your mobile devices

That's not Peatish thinking that's haidut thinking. Ray Peat is a man who lost several teeth from eating nothing but wheat germ. A man who would drink 100 cups of coffee a day .

Lets get serious here folks. What you need to do is get rid of windows altogether. Seal every nook and cranny so that no air enters or leaves the house except through highly filtered intakes. No doors either. You will enter and exit the house through fox holes so as to maintain the highest saturation of carbon dioxide at all times. This would turn your house into the biggest, most efficient rebreathing chamber and would easily mimick living at 200,000ft altitude.

Imagine the possibilities

Diokine

I agree with the recommendations about EMF reduction. It is really a serious issue that probably deserves a bit more attention. If you are installing the wiring, there are methods to reduce noise from the outlets themselves, and the devices attached to them. If you are building in or a near a city, using an insulation with the radiant barrier electrically tied together will create a sort of Faraday cage. Grounding this insulation will allow the cage to dump induced potentials into the earth easier. Make sure a very good earth ground is installed, and that outlets are properly tied in.

WiFi and cell phones are probably the biggest threat, so whatever can be done to reduce them will help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals