Any feedback would be appreciated, a newby to this site!

susan

Hi there I'm Susan from New Zealand. I hope I am writing this in the correct place as I am not to familiar with forums like this. I am 54 years young have 4 grown children and have been interested in Nutrition & Lifestyle for many years now. I started my interest off in Personal Training while my children were in school and progressed into studying with Paul Chek and become HLC Level 3 (Holistic Lifestyle Coaching) focusing more on nutrition than exercise now. I now have my own business Feel Alive Inside Ltd where I pass on what I have learnt to others, but very obviously am still learning myself.
My background has been drug/alcohol/food addictions into learning and then helping others in the area's that I need the most ongoing help. I am also studying my Qigong teachers training and practise flower essence theraphy which I give to clients to help them with any challenges they need to move through.
I became aware of Ray Peat today through East/West Healing and the works of Josh Rubin. I have just finished reading Josh and Jeanne's Metabolic Blueprint and through my own challenging area's in my health history I keep searching for the answers to correct my own Health. Through this book I noticed alot of reference of course to Dr Ray peat and here I am hoping to understand and gain more clarity of my own health so I in turn may help others. I have only just started taking my temperature on rising in the morning and then after foods that I consume. My basic temp in the morning is 36.3 - 7 and this pretty much stays around this level even after consuming foods i.e. good broths, coconut oil etc. I have no idea what this indicates and was hoping that I could gain some insight on this from all of you more enlightened beings:) Please. I have as I mentioned had in my lifetime a history of drug and alcohol, sugar abuse and my body although not overweight tends to always look as if I hold onto fluid in the abdominal region especially after eating. My diet includes alot of bone broths and gelatin which I have recently added plus more above ground vege's ie kale spinach medical nettle leeks onions which of course aren't above ground. I have only cooked with coconut oil and ghee from organic grass feed cows so I pretty much have good additions to my diet I have believed. I very seldom have potatoes I do eat the odd carrots and the list goes on. I self tested for candida recently through a saliva test and was lead to believe that there was more of them than me, horrified to say. So did the no sugar/root vegetables etc and introduced many homeopathic remedies plus colan cleansing which has helped significantly. I can't help but feel however that maybe there is something else driving all of this. Would really appreciate any thoughts. I add that although I am 54, nearly 55 I still get my period most months, I don't suffer from PMT though I did in my early years, I still have the odd glass of red wine I enjoy but apart from that I'm clean with my diet. I live in a pretty isolated part of NZ where not great access to doctors etc so love to keep myself healthy from the foods I consume instead of doctors visits and hope to keep it that way. Hoping this is enough of an insight for someone to offer some feedback. I appreciate you for that and am thanking you in advance. Susan.

Mittir

Welcome to the forum

Did Josh Rubin address Candida in his book? Ray Peat has a very different view on Candida.
His idea is to feed candida more sugar than to restrict sugar. So called candida problem is usually
a result of SIBO( small intestine bacteria overgrowth) and this happens to hypothyroid people.
How long have you been using coconut oil and butter exclusively? It takes about 4 years to
replace PUFA in tissues by changing diet. You temperature should be close to 36.9 degree .
A low carb diet can increase temperature by increasing stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline.
A low carb intake instantly lowers thyroid hormone and increases stress hormone.
RP recommends 33 to 50 percent of calories from sugar ( milk, fruits, OJ ,honey, sucrose etc.)
supported by at least 80 grams of good quality protein.
Here are some useful links to basic dietary guidelines
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=588
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=187&start=10

OP
S

susan

Thank you for your feedback Mittir I appreciate it. In Josh Rubin's book he very much is in alignment with Ray Peats suggestions I am making my way through his book now. I have been using coconut oil and butter now exclusively for approx 8 maybe 10 years with the odd junk foods days i.e. thai foods but these also have been out of my diet for about 3 years. I can't adhere to everything being perfect with my diet but I definitely aspire to it. I guess I have been afraid to increase the sugar portion as I believe it starts off the rollercoaster ride with me but I will work on clearing this old worn out belief and balancing with fats and proteins. In Josh's book he does suggest alot of his protein's through gelatin's a broths which I also use. Does your temperature stay around this degree even after consuming foods or can it be used as an indication of when foods don't agree with you (by dropping) I don't quite understand how this works and would appreciate anyone informing me. What about pulse as Josh often states take your pulse and temperature. I would expect that at my age and time in life i.e. 54 and going into the throws of menopause that my cortisol levels would be increased through this. Is there any suggestions to stabalise hormones through nutrition while going through menopause. I guess I am blessed as I have very little symptoms apart from sleep being interrupted on nights around full moon:) this is when my gigong practice comes in very handy, I can get myself into a nice state and enjoy solving the patterns that come up on the deeper levels. Some very interesting points you bring up Mittir I didn't realize that a low carb intake instantly lowers thyroid hormone's and increases the stress hormone. I have just read the book Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet PhD and Shou-Ching Jaminet Ph.D they also believe than a more Paleolithic diet is the way we should eat with most of our calories coming from good fats, also recommended are high starch carbs i.e. potatoes (cooked well) sweet potatoes, carrots etc, the very things I keep away from. Very interesting and another change of direction as I try to hear what my body really likes. Thank you all Please place more feedback to add to my learning and understanding particularly around temperature responses. i.e. What if a persons temperature is well into the 37's does this indicate a happy thyroid. Reason being my partner is a great bread eater and hot chips and CRAP foods drinks beer every night has great energy, doesn't get ill its insane his temp is in ranges of 37.9 in the morning. Thank you once more for my understanding and clarity.

Mittir

Paul Jaminet is an astrophysicist. He wrote an article on his website explaining how starch ( glucose)
is inefficient in repleting liver glycogen storage compared to fructose+glucose and galactose+ glucose( lactose).
In the conclusion he tried to defend his book against all the evidence he presented in the article. lack of glycogen storage causes stress hormones to go up and thyroid hormone to go down.
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/d ... peat-diet/
In addition to glycogen storage, Ray Peat mentioned many other reasons to recommend sugar instead of starch/glucose.
He he has written several articles on sugar
http://raypeat.com/articles/

37.9 C after waking up is most likely a stress hormone induced temperature.
Few hours after breakfast body temperature should be around 36.94 and should continue to rise
up to 37.2 till afternoon. He thinks resting pulse rate of 85 is good.