New Here And Would Welcome Metabolic Advice

CurrieGirl

Hello All,

New here and I've been poking around the forum. This forum has a good vibe and I like how people can disagree and offer differing ideas and opinions without getting nasty. There is no one size fits all and I like to hear different experiences.

I am 56 and like most of you have a history of excessive, intense athletic activity coupled with eating crap and then moved onto intense dieting, calorie restriction, fasting, low carb, etc,etc. For about 17 years I was into long distance running, triathlon, hiking, and backpacking along with a stressful job that I eventually quit and then went onto self employment. I then cut way back on the endurance training and focused on weight lifting and competed in 2 figure competitions. The bodybuilding diet worked great at shedding body fat. I had no difficulty in cutting and putting on some muscle. That's when I was in the best shape I have ever been in. My body functioned beautifully. No constipation, no amenorrhea, had the best sleep of my life, great skin BUT my energy levels were all over the place. I was 46/47 yrs old 5'2" and a nice lean 112 lbs. The rebound was awful and I will always compare myself to what I looked like back then. I gained back about 10 lbs and then went low carb/very low carb to get the weight back off. Not a good result. My energy level tanked, I couldn't keep up my weight training, and I felt like I was aging so fast. That went on for about 5 years. About 6 months ago I decided to start eating more carbs but still flip flopped back and forth with more carbs then back to low carb. Such a hard transition. SO....about 5 weeks ago I found Ray Peat and have been consistently eating more carbs and even progressed to adding simple carbs like honey, molasses, a little bit of fruit, and adding some starch back in like white rice and oatmeal.

I'm thrilled to be eating again especially sweet things which I love but I'm still doing fasted running/walking first thing in the morning and I still can't get comfortable with eating something before bed or first thing in the morning. My energy is somewhat better but I still get these low energy periods during the day. I would assume it's my body getting used to burning sugar again.

What I am looking to achieve are regaining my energy and vitality, getting rid of a good size fibroid, losing this stubborn 10 lbs, sleeping better, and just overall feeling happy about living again. I've read other people's posts about feelings of anhedonia and complete lack of motivation and that's what I have been feeling for quite a few years now. I don't think it's all related to physical maladies but also to life in the western world especially the BS we all have to put up with right now. The US (where I live), as well as other 1st world countries, have a lot to offer in the material aspect but we are a socially bereft society.

What I am eating right now: ground beef, eggs, turkey (leftovers from Thanksgiving so not a usual part of my diet), liverwurst, small amount of milk, honey, molasses, maple syrup, dates, tea, carrots, vanilla ice cream, milk chocolate bars, goat cheese, homemade bone broth/gelatin. Supplements: aspirin, vit E, niacin, magnesium citrate. Any advice or comments from anyone would be so greatly appreciated.

Kram

You may benefit from reading How to Heal Your Metabolism by Kate Deering or checking out her facebook page. All of her work is in line with Ray's approach to health and she had a history of overtraining and fasting.

boris

I'm thrilled to be eating again especially sweet things which I love but I'm still doing fasted running/walking first thing in the morning and I still can't get comfortable with eating something before bed or first thing in the morning.

Sound like low thyroid. A small glass of orange juice or a hot coffee (with milk cream and sugar) and turning up the heating or a warm bath helps to get the metabolism going in the morning.

tankasnowgod

What I am looking to achieve are regaining my energy and vitality, getting rid of a good size fibroid, losing this stubborn 10 lbs, sleeping better, and just overall feeling happy about living again. I've read other people's posts about feelings of anhedonia and complete lack of motivation and that's what I have been feeling for quite a few years now. I don't think it's all related to physical maladies but also to life in the western world especially the BS we all have to put up with right now. The US (where I live), as well as other 1st world countries, have a lot to offer in the material aspect but we are a socially bereft society.

What I am eating right now: ground beef, eggs, turkey (leftovers from Thanksgiving so not a usual part of my diet), liverwurst, small amount of milk, honey, molasses, maple syrup, dates, tea, carrots, vanilla ice cream, milk chocolate bars, goat cheese, homemade bone broth/gelatin. Supplements: aspirin, vit E, niacin, magnesium citrate. Any advice or comments from anyone would be so greatly appreciated.

Diet overall looks pretty good. You may want to add something like real sugar pepsi or lemonade to the mix. I think one of the biggest challenges doing a No Starch diet and using sugar instead is getting enough total carbs. Peat mentioned specifically that sugar is really helpful when under stress. I think people generally have been under a lot of stress for most the past few decades, and especially right now-

Haidut posts studies saying basically the same thing, for example- Eating 1 lb of sugar daily has strikingly positive effects on (male) fertility – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

Something like pepsi can be helpful to get sugar without extra fat, the biggest issues with ice cream and chocolate.

Personally, I was getting really depressed over the summer, and think I was getting serious anhedonia. The No Starch Diet that Hans laid out helped a lot.

My Starch Free And Zero Fiber Experiment

I also used anti-serotonin chemicals. I had an old bottle of ritanserin and cyproheptadine, and I think those were a lifesaver. I have also been using higher doses of progesterone. There is lots of talk how prog can be helpful for guys in this thread-

DHEA + Progesterone == Pro-anabolic, Testosterone-promoting?

As a female, using Progesterone should be nothing but helpful, and I wouldn't think you would hit the potential libido issues that guys can get (that seems to be easily remedied with a little DHEA regardless).

OP
CurrieGirl

CurrieGirl

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm sure my thyroid function is on the low side. I'm going to add in some oatmeal and white rice. 2 things I love that I haven't eaten in a while. I don't have digestive issues with them and that should help get my calories up there. My god it's hard to eat 2000 calories a day! and I probably need more at this point. I don't like soda or juice but what I have been doing is making pudding from scratch with milk, sugar and thickening it with a bit of cornstarch. I can do the same with rice. Maybe add a ***t ton of sugar to them. I have some progesterone oil that I haven't used yet. The information it came with said to eliminate Xenoestrogens first and then give myself a month to let my body wash it out otherwise it may make the estrogen situation worse. Don't know how true that is but I think I'm just going to start using it tomorrow. Thank you for the links and resources. I'm going to check out all of it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals