Are Mashed Potatoes Okay With Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by lampofred, Aug 14, 2019.

1. lampofred

lampofred Member

Can't wait till my thyroid arrives again but until then I have to keep metabolism up with coffee. Without it I am just a very slow blob, but with it, I quickly get manic, ammonia toxicity symptoms, and at that point eating potatoes becomes a must.

But at the same time, I don't want to use butter/ghee/cream to make potatoes because I'm trying to get serious about depleting PUFA and that would be a lot of additional PUFA/estrogen in the amount necessary to make tasty mashed potatoes.

Does anyone have any experience using coconut oil to make mashed potatoes? I looked up a vegan potato recipe using coconut oil instead of butter and the general tone seemed negative... I don't want to make it and then throw it away because it tasted inedible.

2. ScurveDream

ScurveDream Member

Use coconut milk instead of the oil.

Coconut oil may be prone to making the final taste/texture not so good, whereas I would think coconut milk would be a little better.

I've never had coconut milk, but I want to give it a shot soon (can be used as a whole milk substitute to avoid PUFA too with coffee/"to cream"/etc.).

You can use like half a cup of coconut milk (for like around 1.5-2x the same portion in dry potatoes) with a pinch of (non-vegetable oil) butter and/or just a pinch of ghee/etc. and salt with optional peppers/spice maybe if you'd like.

3. Liubo

Liubo Member

I like coconut oil potatoes. They don't turn out as coconut-y as you would think.