Is There A Peat Market For SnackFoods Fried In Coconut Oil?

yerrag

From Coconut Oil:

We have already seen how money and propaganda from the soy oil industry eliminated long-established products from the U.S. market. I saw people lose weight stably when they had the habit of eating large amounts of tortilla chips fried in coconut oil, but those chips disappeared when their producers were pressured into switching to other oils, in spite of the short shelf life that resulted in the need to add large amounts of preservatives. Oreo cookies, Ritz crackers, potato chip producers, and movie theater popcorn makers have experienced similar pressures.

I have wanted to eat chicharrones because it is pork skin, which has plenty of gelatin, but I don't because it's fried in PUFAs.

I have wanted to eat tortilla chips and nachos, but they're also fried in PUFAs.

It's really messy to make your own chicharrones, with oil splattering all over, that it's just not worth the effort if I wanted to make my own pork rinds (chicharrones) fried in coconut oil. With nachos, it might be easier but still there is effort involved in making your own masa from corn. Yet as Ray Peat had mentioned, the masa that goes into making corn chips are good because it has plenty of calcium.

I'm really toying with the idea of making my own chicharrones and nachos for the Peaty market. That would make it worth the trouble and effort. I probably will only sell it in the Philippines, just for the small subset of Peat-aware people.

If someone makes it available in the forum for you to order, would you be buying?

Probably in the US there are already some commercial makers of these products that I'm not aware of. But maybe not. Most commercial makers don't think any thing that says "saturated" has any mass market appeal, and really not worth going into. And they're probably afraid someone will sue them for causing their heart attacks and strokes, with many experts in the medical field who will testify against coconut oil.

But within the Ray Peat community, will there be enough of a market to justify a Peaty snack business?

paka

Idk but a quick tasty snack I was thinking of: 0%fat milk, gelatin, cane sugar, coconut oil
220px-Blanc-manger_on_glass_platter.jpg

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

lvysaur

Coconut oil oreos would be amazing

OP
yerrag

yerrag

walker_in_aus

Boulder do potato chips in coconut oil. I just add in some onion powder, salt and savoury yeast to give them flavor. But goodness if you can make some nachos I'd be ordering them!

Elysium

Anything fried in any oil is going to be garbage one way or another. It's processed, factory made food. What exactly is Peaty about that?

All oils once heated produce carcinogens. ALL OF THEM. Yes coconut oil is the most stable of the bunch, but one needs to stop being a naive patsy and realize what exactly happens with that coconut oil in that factory. How long they use it and how high they heat it up. The will abuse the hell out of it and use it until is solidifies...because why not it's coconut oil, right?

how_oils_turn_toxic.png

DrJ

Bugles are fried in coconut oil. Not going to say they're all around perfect, but on a road trip they're available at every gas station and I partake :)

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Anything fried in any oil is going to be garbage one way or another. It's processed, factory made food. What exactly is Peaty about that?

All oils once heated produce carcinogens. ALL OF THEM. Yes coconut oil is the most stable of the bunch, but one needs to stop being a naive patsy and realize what exactly happens with that coconut oil in that factory. How long they use it and how high they heat it up. The will abuse the hell out of it and use it until is solidifies...because why not it's coconut oil, right?

how_oils_turn_toxic.png
Yes, true. But the graphic illustrates how much better coconut oil is than the other oils. On a relative scale, it is more healthful.

So, the takeaway here for me is don't eat too much deep-fried food, but if you do, get the one that's less toxic, or more healthful.

Another thing that would lessen the yuck factor here is the heating time. People who deep fry don't deep fry for even a minute, especially when it's nachos. Granted, it takes longer to deep fry pork rinds, and this is useful to know. Perhaps the process in making chicharrones can be modified to minimize on the deep fry time involved. Still, ten minutes is too long a time to deep fry pork rind.

Many people who don't know to deep fry correctly do it the wrong way, either keeping the frying temperature too low, or putting too much stuff to fry at once. Done the right way, I don't think the frying time would be long enough to be much of a concern.

Thanks for commenting and sharing!

Last edited:
Frying is toxic no matter what oil is used. Acrylamide and other toxins including unstudied ones are produced even with coconut oil. Enjoy some fried foods but don't fool yourself into thinking you're eating "health food" just because it's fried in CO especially if you're eating it more than once a week. Do you really think even so called organic companies like Jackson's Honest are frying every batch of the chips in fresh coconut oil? No, they are re-using it as much as they can to save money. There's no real regulation on it and the FDA is not walking in their facility and testing how many times they are re-using the oil. And then people mention Bugles. Haha. Are you serious? Yes the ingredients say coconut oil but you're eating a toxic thing fried in toxic re-used who knows how many times oil, gmo corn flour with some butylated hydroxytoluene. That's not health food, which is fine, you don't have to always eat health food but don't redefine the term. Realize what you're doing.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Frying is toxic no matter what oil is used. Acrylamide and other toxins including unstudied ones are produced even with coconut oil. Enjoy some fried foods but don't fool yourself into thinking you're eating "health food" just because it's fried in CO especially if you're eating it more than once a week. Do you really think even so called organic companies like Jackson's Honest are frying every batch of the chips in fresh coconut oil? No, they are re-using it as much as they can to save money. There's no real regulation on it and the FDA is not walking in their facility and testing how many times they are re-using the oil. And then people mention Bugles. Haha. Are you serious? Yes the ingredients say coconut oil but you're eating a toxic thing fried in toxic re-used who knows how many times oil, gmo corn flour with some butylated hydroxytoluene. That's not health food, which is fine, you don't have to always eat health food but don't redefine the term. Realize what you're doing.

No matter what oil is used? Isn't that a stretch? Hyperbole aside, you make no distinction at all between oils that have little PUFA and oils that have plenty of PUFA, and lump them together.

You of course realize that fully hydrogenated coconut oil is different from refined coconut oil, and they are both different from virgin coconut oil, right? In terms of saturation. And that a fully hydrogenated oil is pretty much rid of all PUFAs.

How is deep frying in fully saturated oils that much different from grilling, in terms of toxins produced? When you deep fry, with meat most of the cooking is done by steam that is let off from the heat of the oil bubbling outwards. The surface is the only one that gets cooked by the hot oil. The constant stream of vapor coming out is what accounts for the crackling sound as water evaporates in contact with the oil, and also accounts for a good deep-fry not being so oily. And the insides being tender.

With chips and fries, the same mechanism goes, although a lot more of the cooking is done by the oil, given the larger surface area relative to volume exposed to the hot oil. Still, the oil itself isn't going to oxidize that much, and isn't going to produce free radicals. The food you eat isn't going to cause inflammation, much less cause your blood sugar to go out of whack.

So you're left with examining the toxins produced by the high heat. And how is this different from grilling, or baking? Given there may be higher heat involved, but consider it is a trade-off because with deep-frying much less time is involved. It's a wash. If it's a wash, what are you left to eat so that it's toxin-free? Raw food? Yeah! Good luck with that.

The fact is people eats plenty of chips and fries. They're going to keep eating them no matter what. It's better that they eat those made from good "Peaty" oils than from terrible PUFA-laden oils, which really dot the landscape. What you're saying is stay away from all these. Yes, I hear you. But I still want to enjoy my food. And I love deep fry. I'll have deep fry, grilled, smoked, pan-fried, steamed, and also raw. I love variety. Don't you?

No one's advocating a totally deep-fried existence. So chill!

Why does fried food taste so good though? :weary:
You bet. The soft juicy insides, oozing with steam, with an outside that's crisp and so well caramelized!

Literally the first thing in the thread is Ray Peat talking about losing weight on fried stuff

Peata

I've bought Boulder Canyon potato chips fried in coconut oil. I usually add extra salt to them.

I would love to see tortilla chips fried in coconut oil.

I've bought some corn tortillas (refrigerated kind). I planned to slice them into triangles with a pizza cutter and fry them in coconut oil, add salt, to see if I can make my own tortilla chips. Haven't had time to try it yet. I love taco salads, and the way I do it is to crush a few tortilla chips over a salad. I just use a few to minimize pufa, and that way I get the crunch and taste mingled in every bite of salad. So I can see enjoying a few of these homemade tortilla chips now and then as being better, even if it's still a fried food.

Would also love crackers without pufa. I just use a few saltines crushed up in my soup, but I would use more if they didn't have any pufa.

No matter what oil is used?

Yes.

Isn't that a stretch?

No. When answering the question the answer is yes, frying produces toxins. CO may be more stable, and result in less, depending on the context, but the answer is still yes.

Hyperbole aside, you make no distinction at all between oils that have little PUFA and oils that have plenty of PUFA, and lump them together.

The fatty acid composition is secondary to the molecules that are created from the combustion in the heat on the food particles. More pufa just means other problems.

You of course realize that fully hydrogenated coconut oil is different from refined coconut oil, and they are both different from virgin coconut oil, right? In terms of saturation. And that a fully hydrogenated oil is pretty much rid of all PUFAs.

Yes but the topic here is frying.

and isn't going to produce free radicals.

Of course it will. Acrylamide is one. There are more. Yes baking and other high temp cooking can cause FR as well but frying does too. Heterocyclic amines are another.

So you're left with examining the toxins produced by the high heat. And how is this different from grilling, or baking?

They all produce FR. We would have to find data on the specific differences but so what, reducing them all should be the goal in a health food context.

If it's a wash, what are you left to eat so that it's toxin-free? Raw food? Yeah! Good luck with that.

Didn't say that. No perfect food and cooking method exists. Again, the topic here is frying. But boiling/steaming is the most toxinless method.

The fact is people eats plenty of chips and fries. They're going to keep eating them no matter what.

I don't care about what "people" eat. Again, stay on topic.

What you're saying is stay away from all these. Yes, I hear you.

No. I said "enjoy some fried foods." But if you're eating a daily or very often diet of organic snacks fried in organic hydro CO and/or Bugles and then claim to be into "health foods" you're delusional because the toxin load is high so unless your definition of healthy is consuming lots of toxins often then you sound odd. Do whatever you want. It's the wording I take issue with.

Literally the first thing in the thread is Ray Peat talking about losing weight on fried stuff

His quote doesn't provide context. We don't know what else those people ate and how they lived. You can lose "weight" but still be ingesting and storing toxins that increase the risk of non-weight diseases.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Yes.

No. When answering the question the answer is yes, frying produces toxins. CO may be more stable, and result in less, depending on the context, but the answer is still yes.

The fatty acid composition is secondary to the molecules that are created from the combustion in the heat on the food particles. More pufa just means other problems.

Yes but the topic here is frying.

Of course it will. Acrylamide is one. There are more. Yes baking and other high temp cooking can cause FR as well but frying does too. Heterocyclic amines are another.

They all produce FR. We would have to find data on the specific differences but so what, reducing them all should be the goal in a health food context.

Didn't say that. No perfect food and cooking method exists. Again, the topic here is frying. But boiling/steaming is the most toxinless method.

I don't care about what "people" eat. Again, stay on topic.

No. I said enjoy them but if you're eating a daily diet of organic corn/potato chips fried in organic hydro CO and/or Bugles and then claim to be into "health foods" you're delusional because the toxin load is high so unless your definition of healthy is consuming lots of toxins often then you sound odd. Do whatever you want. It's the wording I take issue with.

His quote doesn't provide context. We don't know what else those people ate and how they lived. You can lose "weight" but still be ingesting and storing toxins that increase the risk of non-weight diseases.

If staying on topic is your goal, you would be answering if a market exists for Peaty foods fried in coconut oil, as an alternative to snack foods that are fried in bad oils.

Instead, you went to the left field.

Right.

If staying on topic is your goal, you would be answering if a market exists for Peaty foods fried in coconut oil, as an alternative to snack foods that are fried in bad oils.

Instead, you went to the left field.

Right.

It is your thread and you responded to Elysium's comment about toxic frying. I then added my comment about this secondary subject on frying that you responded to.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals