Is There A Peat Market For SnackFoods Fried In Coconut Oil?

To answer the original question, yes there is already a market for snack foods fried in CO and beef tallow. There are a few brands that have been around in health food stores and even in mainstream stores in the US for around 3 or so years now. But it's not that big of a market in comparison to other snack foods. There are some chicharrones products now too.

The real "Peat" snack food someone should invest in is gelatin/sucrose bars or juice/sucrose sweetened gummies.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

It is your thread and you responded to Elysium's comment about toxic frying. I then added my comment about this secondary subject on frying that you responded to.

And I didn't stray in my reply. Explain how I did.

His quote doesn't provide context. We don't know what else those people ate and how they lived. You can lose "weight" but still be ingesting and storing toxins that increase the risk of non-weight diseases.

You can't say it's "not peatish" though

And I didn't stray in my reply. Explain how I did.

By talking about eating raw food and the sociology of eating and that random people are going to eat fried foods, and by putting words on my keyboard by saying that I said “stay away from all these” when I did not say that but I in fact said “enjoy some fried foods.” My comment was talking about the toxins produced by frying only.

You can't say it's "not peatish" though

Someone would have to ask him what his thoughts are on eating CO fried snacks and the toxins produced by frying.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

By talking about eating raw food and the sociology of eating and that random people are going to eat fried foods, and by putting words on my keyboard by saying that I said “stay away from all these” when I did not say that but I in fact said “enjoy some fried foods.” My comment was talking about the toxins produced by frying only.
Did I not give my rebuttal by putting in perspective the relative toxicity of deep frying compared to other cooking methods?

And I strengthened my case by arguing that your objections carry even less weight considering that people would continue to eat these snacks, but be better served if they had a choice between snacks fried in coconut oil and snacks fried in PUFAs.

Remember this is what I originally posted:

We have already seen how money and propaganda from the soy oil industry eliminated long-established products from the U.S. market. I saw people lose weight stably when they had the habit of eating large amounts of tortilla chips fried in coconut oil, but those chips disappeared when their producers were pressured into switching to other oils, in spite of the short shelf life that resulted in the need to add large amounts of preservatives. Oreo cookies, Ritz crackers, potato chip producers, and movie theater popcorn makers have experienced similar pressures.

Neither Ray Peat nor I were arguing about the merits of these snacks as far as toxicity goes. Ray Peat was talking about having choices.

I feel you're being argumentative at this point by poring over minutiae. I made my case and it's laid bare.

Last edited:
And I strengthened my case by arguing that your objections carry even less weight considering that people would continue to eat these snacks, but be better served if they had a choice between snacks fried in coconut oil and snacks fried in PUFAs.

"People" are going to continue to eat many things. Who are you talking about? The majority of the food buying public does not buy CO/tallow fried snacks. It's a small market so you're not "serving" many people. A couple of companies already beat you to it and I predict that those few companies will actually have to go back to online ordering only and/or even go out of business because I think the demand for such snacks is going down.

I'm really toying with the idea of making my own chicharrones and nachos for the Peaty market. That would make it worth the trouble and effort. I probably will only sell it in the Philippines, just for the small subset of Peat-aware people.

Now I see you're only talking about a small group of people in the Philippines. Go for it.

If someone makes it available in the forum for you to order, would you be buying?

No.

Probably in the US there are already some commercial makers of these products that I'm not aware of.

Yes, EPIC is one brand and 4505 brand. There are a few non-organic brands too.

But within the Ray Peat community, will there be enough of a market to justify a Peaty snack business?

No but you can try. I would never buy snacks made by a stranger in the Philippines.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

No but you can try. I would never buy snacks made by a stranger in the Philippines.
Pathetic. Like you know personally everybody whom you bought food from. Are we going to get personal now?

Neither Ray Peat nor I were arguing about the merits of these snacks as far as toxicity goes.

You responded to Elysium's comment on that subject.

Pathetic. Like you know personally everybody whom you bought food from.

I make most of my own food which is bought through regulated companies. When there are problems they are reported for recall but those are rare and most problems come from raw produce and those are rare too plus I don't eat much raw food and the raw carrot I eat is peeled and covered in ACV so any bacteria should be removed/killed. There have been problems with people selling foods and supplements that were unregulated such as the adya clarity scandal, the green pastures CLO scandal and others.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

You responded to Elysium's comment on that subject.
And as we are Peatarians, we take into context under which the discussion falls under.

I make most of my own food which is bought through regulated companies. When there are problems they are reported for recall but those are rare and most problems come from raw produce and those are rare too plus I don't eat much raw food and the raw carrot I eat is peeled and covered in ACV so any bacteria should be removed/killed. There have been problems with people selling foods and supplements that were unregulated such as the adya clarity scandal, the green pastures CLO scandal and others.
I'll be sure to send you a free sample then.

TibRex

What about using an air fryer as it uses only half a tbsp of oil at most for fries. Here's a review I came across:

"Less than a decade ago, the revolutionary air fryer was introduced to the market. Instead of using fat and oil to fry foods, this appliance was designed to fry without needing to dunk food in oil. In fact, most foods within this cooking device require no oil at all — just hot air.

Based on Rapid Air Technology, air fryers blow superheated air to cook foods that are traditionally fried in oil. Whether you want to make fish and chips, chicken or even donuts, air that’s up to 200 degrees Celsius begins to circulate, creating a browned, crispy surface.

In just 10 to 12 minutes, for instance, you can cook a batch of fries, using just half a spoonful of oil. And, that’s just the beginning. From cakes to nuggets, burgers to steaks, foods can be rapidly cooked to achieve the same results when frying, toasting, baking or roasting.

Although marketed as an all-purpose fryer, the Airfryer from Philips, for instance, is more like a mini convection oven. After all, a high-speed fan circulates hot air, cooking food sitting in a basket. It was initially designed as a safer, easier method of frying foods, as well as reducing oil-pan fires and associated injuries..."

Source: The Airfryer is one of 2016's hottest gifts, but is it right for your kitchen?

OP
yerrag

yerrag

What about using an air fryer as it uses only half a tbsp of oil at most for fries. Here's a review I came across:

"Less than a decade ago, the revolutionary air fryer was introduced to the market. Instead of using fat and oil to fry foods, this appliance was designed to fry without needing to dunk food in oil. In fact, most foods within this cooking device require no oil at all — just hot air.

Based on Rapid Air Technology, air fryers blow superheated air to cook foods that are traditionally fried in oil. Whether you want to make fish and chips, chicken or even donuts, air that’s up to 200 degrees Celsius begins to circulate, creating a browned, crispy surface.

In just 10 to 12 minutes, for instance, you can cook a batch of fries, using just half a spoonful of oil. And, that’s just the beginning. From cakes to nuggets, burgers to steaks, foods can be rapidly cooked to achieve the same results when frying, toasting, baking or roasting.

Although marketed as an all-purpose fryer, the Airfryer from Philips, for instance, is more like a mini convection oven. After all, a high-speed fan circulates hot air, cooking food sitting in a basket. It was initially designed as a safer, easier method of frying foods, as well as reducing oil-pan fires and associated injuries..."

Source: The Airfryer is one of 2016's hottest gifts, but is it right for your kitchen?
It's not a bad idea. I have one Philips air fryer. Have used it for french fries. I didn't even need to put oil. Tastes good, not quite as good as deep fried fries in terms of the crunchy texture, but a decent compromise.

For baking chicken and making crispy pork belly (a dish familiar to both Chinese and Filipinos alike), it does the job of a convection oven at half the time.

Philips has a patent on the design of the bottom drip pan, wherein a vortex is created to improve the circulation of hot air. For that, it can charge a premium. I havent compared it with copycat air fryers, but I would think the vortex is no small feature, and gladly pay a premium for it.

I still haven't done chips though, because it isn't as easy as potato fries where I could buy cut potatoes to be made into fries. There isn't such a product for chips. Maybe Philips can commission a company to make such a product to help widen the use for the air fryer.

TibRex

It's not a bad idea. I have one Philips air fryer. Have used it for french fries. I didn't even need to put oil. Tastes good, not quite as good as deep fried fries in terms of the crunchy texture, but a decent compromise.

For baking chicken and making crispy pork belly (a dish familiar to both Chinese and Filipinos alike), it does the job of a convection oven at half the time.

Philips has a patent on the design of the bottom drip pan, wherein a vortex is created to improve the circulation of hot air. For that, it can charge a premium. I havent compared it with copycat air fryers, but I would think the vortex is no small feature, and gladly pay a premium for it.

I still haven't done chips though, because it isn't as easy as potato fries where I could buy cut potatoes to be made into fries. There isn't such a product for chips. Maybe Philips can commission a company to make such a product to help widen the use for the air fryer.

Thanks for the positive feedback, yerrag ... I do not own an airfryer [yet] but the info you gave you is helpful. I just saw the Philips one priced at USD 299 at Amazon's, but over here in Malaysia, the same Philips model, thank God, is only RM 300-400 which works out at about one - fourth the price of that at Amazon's !

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thanks for the positive feedback, yerrag ... I do not own an airfryer [yet] but the info you gave you is helpful. I just saw the Philips one priced at USD 299 at Amazon's, but over here in Malaysia, the same Philips model, thank God, is only RM 300-400 which works out at about one - fourth the price of that at Amazon's !
That's great. At that price, it has to be the larger sized air fryer. I got a large one at woot.com for US$150. and it was refurbished but it's working well.

Since you're Malaysian, you would know about salted egg fries and chips. After air frying, I would make the fries into salted egg fries. It's not as good as the famous Singaporean fries, but it's good enough. I have a curry tree, and I'd use the leaves for it. The butter and salted eggs I would have to buy though. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals