Liubo's Sleep Log

Luann

So, this is a thread to track a sleep issue I've been having for about six months now. It's been a little scary because my mom has very severe insomnia, and has been on a bunch of pills that help her get by but don't really "fix it", and no one seems how to know how to help her. So I don't want it to get as bad as hers.

On Easter this year I slept really soundly and that was the first time that happened in a long time. So I wanted to make a thread to get some ideas on what turned the tables? Because my last few nights have been long and disrupted again.

Here are some things that I remember doing or eating that day (ideas or similar experiences are welcome)

1. Eating more calories earlier in the day than usual
  2. Being really physically tired (support staff at a restaurant, double shift)
  3. Drinking sierra mist instead of water; the water that I did drink could have been lower in fluoride than usual
  4. Lots of sugar
And specifically food-wise? My diet was pretty all-over-the-place that day. I had some non-Peat stuff like mashed potatoes that tasted pretty strongly of fake butter; chocolate with emulsifier in it; peanut butter, as well as my usual Peat food like fat-free strawberry milk and raisins.

Here are theories about how diet affected my sleep that night:

1. More calories total
  2. More calories earlier in the day
  3. More calories from carbohydrate than anything else (yey jelly beans).
And lastly, I'm testing the early-morning-calories idea by eating a lovely breakfast this morning of two potatoes, topped with coconut butter, and gobs of raisins. I don't eat breakfast usually because all the studies said an 8-hr eating window was best!

If you survived the long post and have any suggestions, now's the time to speak up. DON'T want to get stuck with insomnia anymore.

lindsay

I struggle sometimes with falling asleep - once I fall asleep, I am usually out, unless my blood sugar drops. When that happens, I head straight to the refrigerator and reach for a glass of Orange Juice (Organic, No pulp). Usually helps me fall back to sleep.

Another thing that REALLY helps me to fall asleep (so long as you have a comfortable set of headphones), is listening to ASMR videos on Youtube - I especially love GentleWhispering's channel (she has the best voice, IMO). ASMR is starting to get more recognition these days because it has helped A LOT of people with their insomnia, anxiety, relaxation, etc. The soft sounds (for some people) trigger a tingling sensation that runs down the head and neck and helps relax an individual enough to fall asleep. I love listening to the sounds and think it is actually really good for the nerves. It's not for everybody (it does seem incredibly weird at first), but I would definitely look into it if you want help falling asleep. Even when I eat a ton of sugar throughout the day, I sometimes need help falling asleep and that's when I put on GentleWhispering and let her voice lullaby me to sleep. If you can get past the weirdness factor, I really think these people are onto something very stress-relieving.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So I wanted to make a thread to get some ideas on what turned the tables?
Possibly light? Light raises the metabolism, we need energy to sleep good. We are getting much more light now that spring is kicking in. Morning light is super important, are you able to get outside and in the sun in the morning? Brian said at least 6 hours outside is optimal, with one of those hours with little clothing to get the most skin exposure you can.

Bulletproof?

Liubo, I have been having similar issues and I have tried the OJ with lots of salt, honey and gelatin at night, and even ice cream, but nothing seemed to help. The only thing that has helped me so far has been Benadryl. I ordered some cyproheptadine, but I thought I would give Benadryl a try until I got my shipment and it has worked tremendously. It may be that you have too much histamine and/or serotonin. It might be worth a try for you. It's been working for me like a charm.

OP
Luann

Luann

I have had easier sleep on-set due to Benadryl, but the thing is Benadryl the next morning feels like someone just took a poop on you. The energy loss is soo bad. And then the next night, for me, will feel sleepy due to the Benadryl from two days ago but only until about 4 am.

OP
Luann

Luann

Possibly light? Light raises the metabolism, we need energy to sleep good. We are getting much more light now that spring is kicking in. Morning light is super important, are you able to get outside and in the sun in the morning? Brian said at least 6 hours outside is optimal, with one of those hours with little clothing to get the most skin exposure you can.

It's possible. I was up and around much earlier on the "good sleep day", that's for sure. I spent a lot of the day in our cruddy pseudo-formal restaurant lights though.

Bulletproof?

Try taking just half a tablet at night, or you may even try cutting it into 1/6 and take one every 2-3 hours. I don't feel sleepy or have energy loss that way.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
...but the thing is Benadryl the next morning feels like someone just took a poop on you.
Doxylamine Succinate is another alternative. A 1/4 or 1/2 a pill is sometimes plenty enough for me.

milk_lover

Things that have helped me fall asleep:
-f.lux
-red light
-a lot of sugar (OJ or white sugar) and milk
- glycine, theanine, and taurine
-aspirin and niacinamide and thiamine
-to people's surprise, vitamin K2 made me fall asleep soundly
-salty meal
-not eating a lot of protein at night
-listening to the radio and howard stern crazy interviews
-listening to relaxing nature sounds from youtube
-imagining or remembering the good stuff/news happening to me and my family before sleep. Imagining myself in Alps mountains with cows, grazing on very dark green grass and the nice weather, and a big glass jar of fresh milk served by a beautiful local lady
- singing or talking myself to sleep

tara

• More calories total
  • More calories earlier in the day
  • More calories from carbohydrate than anything else (yey jelly beans).
Could be any or all of these, esp. if you had been chronically undereating before.

+1

If you habitually breath through mouth, closing it can make a difference by reducing hyperventilation CO2 loss.

I 'd tend to favour getting basic needs like food and light met before resorting to pharmaceuticals. (You might get to them down the line, or maybe not need them.)

OP
Luann

Luann

i don't think I'd take anything besides tylenol acetominophen or aspirin, if it saved my life. I've ripped up enough prescriptions by now to have some good momentum going. Tara, you are right about the under-eating: like so many Peat people I used to restrict, sometimes to a severe degree. And the mouth-breathing is true too (hehe).

tara

i don't think I'd take anything besides tylenol acetominophen or aspirin, if it saved my life. I've ripped up enough prescriptions by now to have some good momentum going.
My guess is that cyproheptadine is safer than acetominophen. But still, why not try other things first. I got knocked out for a while on a small dose of diphenhydramine, too. Most days I can't afford to be that wiped out.

Tara, you are right about the under-eating: like so many Peat people I used to restrict, sometimes to a severe degree.
In that case the fix may be as simple (though not necessarily easy) as emulating your increased Easter calorie and carb intake (from mostly nutritious sources).

And the mouth-breathing is true too (hehe).
Fairly simple mechanical fixes work for some people for this too - tape or chin strap. I found tape good. An practice keeping it shut during the day till it is automatic.

OP
Luann

Luann

Eating more calories goes against like everything I've told myself in a very long time, but is worth a shot. Hey, if those rats can chug 8000 cals of soda and not balloon, I can increase the intake too : )
Have been reminding myself to keep mouth closed lol.

Big breakfast yesterday sort of gave me better sleep last night. Sort of. Woke up around 7:15 after all kinds of nightmares and forced myself out of the house for light therapy, so, good morning everyone.

Bulletproof?

Did you try the Benadryl? Just curious, because I have not had one single nightmare since i started taking it, and before that I was having nightmares in between my tossing and turning.

OP
Luann

Luann

Not yet. Number 1, I want to find out the reason I'm having such a tough time. And the reason is not lack of Benadryl.
Number 2, still scared of the energy-zap, *shudder*

Bulletproof?

Good point. Your body is not lacking Benadryl, but you may have high serotonin and/or high hista
Not yet. Number 1, I want to find out the reason I'm having such a tough time. And the reason is not lack of Benadryl.
Number 2, still scared of the energy-zap, *shudder*
True, your body is not lacking Benadryl, but it may be high in histamines, estrogens, and/or serotonin, and Benadryl helps with that. I'm brand new at this, so I wouldn't take my word as gospel, but it's not like Benadryl is being recommended as a sleep aid like Lunesta or anything like that, but to help your body get rid of all of that stuff that MAY be causing some of your issues. Search the forum for Benadryl and you'll find some pretty good stuff. Good luck to you.

OP
Luann

Luann

That is true. Can't remember off the top of my head what foods are high in histamine, maybe will try lowering those and taking some Benadryl.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals