Anybody here really cured histamine intolerance?

Cuberunner

I used to get urticaria after I ate gluten but now I have a nightly histamine itch that I'm not sure how to eradicate. I ate oatmeal, 4oz meat and some zucchini and lost weight because they were my "safe foods" when eaten in small enough quantities (1900 cals). I didn't get an itch when I adhered to this unsustainable diet but it certainly disrupted my sleep. I got fed up with only eating 1900 cals because I was losing a lot of weight, felt orthorexic (super stressed) and started eating fruits, potato flakes and honey. I feel like honey and excess carbs contribute to my histamine load, "Low histamine" Safe foods make me have rhinitis so I've come to the conclusion that I might have sibo. I also eat chicken and pork liver. At night I take 12.5-25mg of children's benadryl to sleep because of the itch. Idk what the next step is for me, I've tried a restrictive diet, theanine and other herbal mast cell stablizers don't really work well so I rely on h1 blockers. At least I don't get hives anymore or have anaphylaxis in response to any foods.

Hypermnesia

I used to get urticaria after I ate gluten but now I have a nightly histamine itch that I'm not sure how to eradicate. I ate oatmeal, 4oz meat and some zucchini and lost weight because they were my "safe foods" when eaten in small enough quantities (1900 cals). I didn't get an itch when I adhered to this unsustainable diet but it certainly disrupted my sleep. I got fed up with only eating 1900 cals because I was losing a lot of weight, felt orthorexic (super stressed) and started eating fruits, potato flakes and honey. I feel like honey and excess carbs contribute to my histamine load, "Low histamine" Safe foods make me have rhinitis so I've come to the conclusion that I might have sibo. I also eat chicken and pork liver. At night I take 12.5-25mg of children's benadryl to sleep because of the itch. Idk what the next step is for me, I've tried a restrictive diet, theanine and other herbal mast cell stablizers don't really work well so I rely on h1 blockers. At least I don't get hives anymore or have anaphylaxis in response to any foods.

Which other h1 blockers do you use? Have you tried cyproheptadine?

Cuberunner

Which other h1 blockers do you use? Have you tried cyproheptadine?
Haven't tried cypto yet... Using children's benadryl still currently. I've done zyrtec but it lasted 48hrs when I took a 10mg dose and I had an insatiable appetite. Also heard from some folks around here and on pubmed livertox that Zyrtec is more hepatotoxic than other antihistamines. If I could I'd get a ketotifen prescription because it's structurally similar to cypro but less anticholinergic.

Last edited:

Hypermnesia

Haven't tried cypto yet... Using children's benadryl still currently. I've done zyrtec but it lasted 48hrs when I took a 10mg dose and I had an insatiable appetite. Also heard from some folks around here and on pubmed livertox that Zyrtec is more hepatotoxic than other antihistamines. If I could I'd get a ketotifen prescription because it's structurally similar to cypro but less anticholinergic.
I was using zyrtec in combination with benadryl as well but started cypro today with good effects. Ketotifen is great from what people with MCAS/histamine issues seem to say.

I had the worst case of histamine intolerance for many years. I dealt with sinus issues, headaches, rashes, racing heart, blisters in my mouth and on my skin, insomnia, angioedema, puffy eyes and throwing up without any notice. The throwing up bouts were without stomach upset and would go on all night long. I couldn’t go into high altitudes (mountains or plains) without almost passing out, and the sun would get my heart beating out of my chest. I had chemical sensitivities from furniture, clothing and reacted to off-gassing, especially from mattress toppers, and I was really sensitive to EMF’s, from car seats, outlets, the dishwasher and refrigerator, and a little oscelating fan was the worst. Restaurant food was really bad as was chicken, pork and rice. I can keep going on, but I am happy to say I haven’t experienced any of these issues anymore since “Peating”, getting away from fluoride and grains, sleeping and living more in 100% cotton (which includes my bedding and mattress), ditching all of my supplements , grounding in morning sun and hacking my sleep. I went from everyone feeling sorry for my situation to being healthier than anyone I know. It is possible to heal from histamine intolerance. I am grateful to have had it, as awful as it was. It is your body telling you something is perilous to your being, and to make changes.

Last edited:

Kray

Would OTC Ketotifen eyedrops be worth a try, maybe applied to navel several times a day? Or even applied as indicated, to the eyes?
Amazon product ASIN B00WLBOHAUView: https://www.amazon.com/Zaditor-Generic-Ketotifen-Antihistamine-0-025/dp/B00WLBOHAU

Texon

I'm finding this powder to be really useful but tbh I need to give it a bit more time.

About Palmitoylethanolamide

Kray

I'm finding this powder to be really useful but tbh I need to give it a bit more time.

About Palmitoylethanolamide

Please keep us posted on your results! I have not heard of this before. Where can you buy-- is it Rx only?

Texon

Please keep us posted on your results! I have not heard of this before. Where can you buy-- is it Rx only?
No it's not Rx med. I found it online from this seller.

However, my wife actually found the product on Amazon.

LLight

Not getting adequate folate is one of the issues with the carnivore diet. Folic acid has been proven to be not metabolized the same as folate. David Smith thinks the combination of b vitamins and omega 3s are need to keep Alzheimer's at bay.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unguMlKkc74

Interestingly it was found that for a low carb diet (so not carnivore), folate blood levels were increased and that it could be due to the microbiome (folate-producing bacteria count increased).

Texon

I'm finding that it's too mentally stimulating for me at the recommended doses. Think I will try just dipping my finger in the powder and licking it off to see what happens.

Warrior

Around 1.5 - 4.5mg per night. Start at the lowest and work up to your sweet spot. Its quite a phenomenal protocol for many ailments but rarely spoken of.

Anyone with gut issues should look into it as its life changing.

Also:

RP: Ya, and those short chain saturated fats happen to have sort of a hormone-like effect. They have an anti-histamine effect because they help to quiet the immune cells, keep them from producing too much histamine, and they protect cells from over reacting to toxic excitants like histamine, and they even immediately, when they are released as a free fatty acids and their first metabolic passes through the mitochondria, they release ketones. And these short fatty acids and ketones act like the GABA transmitters in the brain and other tissues to quiet and calm over-excited cells. The GABA system - people usually think of it as a nerve transmitter, but it's really active in all types of cells and it helps, for example, to slow excess cell division in tumors, and that's probably one of the reasons that the saturated fats are protective against tumors - that it's applying the brakes the way the GABA molecule would.

Last edited:

Kray

@Motif Look into Low Dose Naltrexone.

Around 1.5 - 4.5mg per night. Start at the lowest and work up to your sweet spot. Its quite a phenomenal protocol for many ailments but rarely spoken of.

Anyone with gut issues should look into it as its life changing.

Also:

RP: Ya, and those short chain saturated fats happen to have sort of a hormone-like effect. They have an anti-histamine effect because they help to quiet the immune cells, keep them from producing too much histamine, and they protect cells from over reacting to toxic excitants like histamine, and they even immediately, when they are released as a free fatty acids and their first metabolic passes through the mitochondria, they release ketones. And these short fatty acids and ketones act like the GABA transmitters in the brain and other tissues to quiet and calm over-excited cells. The GABA system - people usually think of it as a nerve transmitter, but it's really active in all types of cells and it helps, for example, to slow excess cell division in tumors, and that's probably one of the reasons that the saturated fats are protective against tumors - that it's applying the brakes the way the GABA molecule would.
This is so helpful, thank you for sharing this excerpt as well as the entire transcript! Most of Peat's comments on saturated fat I had known, but in this interview he explained things really well.

If saturated fat is so good and helps balance so well, why bother with LDN? Wouldn't it just be more natural and safer to include CO in your daily routine and exchange the fats over a period of time, all the while gradually regenerating the thyroid and metabolism as a whole?

Warrior

@Kray I don't know about Peats perspective on this one as I haven't tried it and only found this after as it seemed helpful.

LDN on the other hand I've seen miraculous results from people who had chronic IBS, debilitating allergies and various other ailments that went into complete remission. Its very well studied, very safe, cheap and exceedingly effective for a lot of issues that are otherwise hard to treat.

Before and after on a Chrons patient (graphic warning):

For more info:

“Animals which are “deficient” in the polyunsaturated fatty acids have a great resistance to a variety of inflammatory challenges. Their tissues appear to be poor allergens or antigens, since they can be easily grafted onto other animals without rejection. Something related to this can probably be seen in the data of human liver transplants. Women’s livers are subjected to more lipid peroxidation than men’s, because of the effects of estrogen (increasing growth hormone and free fatty acids, and selectively mobilizing the polyunsaturated fatty acids and increasing their oxidation). Liver transplants from middle-aged female donors fail much more often (40 to 45%) than livers from male donors (22 to 25%), and other organs show the same effect. The autoimmune diseases are several times as common in women as in men, suggesting that some tissues become relatively incompatible with their own body, after prolonged exposure to the unstable fatty acids.” -Ray Peat

Kray

“Animals which are “deficient” in the polyunsaturated fatty acids have a great resistance to a variety of inflammatory challenges. Their tissues appear to be poor allergens or antigens, since they can be easily grafted onto other animals without rejection. Something related to this can probably be seen in the data of human liver transplants. Women’s livers are subjected to more lipid peroxidation than men’s, because of the effects of estrogen (increasing growth hormone and free fatty acids, and selectively mobilizing the polyunsaturated fatty acids and increasing their oxidation). Liver transplants from middle-aged female donors fail much more often (40 to 45%) than livers from male donors (22 to 25%), and other organs show the same effect. The autoimmune diseases are several times as common in women as in men, suggesting that some tissues become relatively incompatible with their own body, after prolonged exposure to the unstable fatty acids.” -Ray Peat
Wow, that's a remarkable finding.
@Kray I don't know about Peats perspective on this one as I haven't tried it and only found this after as it seemed helpful.

LDN on the other hand I've seen miraculous results from people who had chronic IBS, debilitating allergies and various other ailments that went into complete remission. Its very well studied, very safe, cheap and exceedingly effective for a lot of issues that are otherwise hard to treat.

For more info:

Thank you for those links, I will read up. Quick question meanwhile-- would LDN be appropriate for skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, seb derm?
Also, is this Rx-only in USA? Any links to getting online without Rx?

Last edited:

Advocate2021

For more info:

Dr. Peat recommended low dose naltrexone for endorphin issues- i tried a round once many years ago but was dealing with so many issues not sure what did what. i will share some things here shortly regarding the histamine topic. in the midst of uncovering this situation myself despite having fixed every other health issue i ever had i remain allergic to everything on the planet, both natural and man made.

Warrior

Thank you for those links, I will read up. Quick question meanwhile-- would LDN be appropriate for skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis, seb derm?

Yes. It is an excellent immunomodulator that is very effective with zero sides when dosed incrementally to find your own personal sweet spot.

Countless people have leapt for joy after years of suffering when they met me and were recommended this solution and all of them wished they'd tried it earlier. The fact its so effective and not generally known (well, a bit more now than it was a decade or so ago but still not much) speaks volumes...

The on label dosage is immense with huge sides effects but using it at low dose nightly puts the body into a healing state from its fundamental levels almost like a reset. Try and let me know what happens after you've done your research.

Dr. Peat recommended low dose naltrexone for endorphin issues- i tried a round once many years ago but was dealing with so many issues not sure what did what. i will share some things here shortly regarding the histamine topic. in the midst of uncovering this situation myself despite having fixed every other health issue i ever had i remain allergic to everything on the planet, both natural and man made.

Great, look forward to reading your perspective and experience on this.

Kray

Yes. It is an excellent immunomodulator that is very effective with zero sides when dosed incrementally to find your own personal sweet spot.

Countless people have leapt for joy after years of suffering when they met me and were recommended this solution and all of them wished they'd tried it earlier. The fact its so effective and not generally known (well, a bit more now than it was a decade or so ago but still not much) speaks volumes...

The on label dosage is immense with huge sides effects but using it at low dose nightly puts the body into a healing state from its fundamental levels almost like a reset. Try and let me know what happens after you've done your research.

Great, look forward to reading your perspective and experience on this.
Too bad it's Rx-only. Any options? I don't see a doctor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals