Anybody here really cured histamine intolerance?

Kray

Thank you. my intestine seems to be recovering - this last week put a bomb to it. not saying low histamine isnt good and may help me - just very few food choices out there that arent contaminated so i am still going to try it with better food choices as it may still be helpful.- will see what another week of low histamine but superior foods does.

when i got blood work done a month ago and again 10 days ago because some things were left out, i had requested histamine but doc said insurance would not cover. going to go back for follow up monday and see about it in light of all this. research ive done the last week since learning about all this has other tests recommended such as for DAO enzyme- wondering if I can request this too on regular blood work?

What do you all think of these tests as helpful data and are there any others you would recommend?

i got quite a bit out of this doc- all the normal stuff,(CBC, platelets, metabolic panel), cholesterol, thyroid, PTH, cortisol, estrogen, D, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, D but he was stingy with a lot of the others i requested like the histamine, lactate, prolactin, seretonin, etc. due to insurance coverage. But everything done came back pretty damn stellar. Endocrinologically speaking I look like the perfect female Peat Poster Child lol. Im 52 and have the hormonal profile of a 22 year old woman. As I have shared elsewhere on this forum with my entire story, despite almost dying in my late 20-'s and losing my entire chronological youth,20's and most of my 30's, the blessing in it all is that i found this information in my late 20's and have been taking progest-e ever since and have kept my hormones young and do not anticipate that changing until a ripe old age if then even. Dr. Peat shared that women who took progesterone during their fertile years and continued have basically dodged menopause and could menstruate though their 70's and he knew some who did (at least in their 60's I know for sure). So im going for that and aside from this hypersensitivity issue, am truly a healthy, youthful vibrant woman. So the doctor doesn't get why Im complaining lol which is why it would be great to get some actual data that he can see. i dont go to doctors for their advice, just to get my bloodwork covered on insurance and then to ask them to call in things for me such as the LDN we have been discussing. that is where they are helpful. wondering if there is a way to test for endorphins since that is what Dr. Peat advised LDN for and that might help me get the prescription for it?

So, I am coming to the conclusion that the allergies and sensitivities are not hormonal or endocrinological in origin so wondering what you think of other testing and what other testing you thing is indicated? I have to think that with such crazy sensitivity symptoms there would be some findings in bloodwork if the right things were done. Otherwise, as i said,doctors dont get what im complaining about because they think Im amazingly blessed based on my bloodwork and appearance despite my chronological age, Ive officially been nicknamed "Melissa Button" by many.

The OP here started another thread about being the "embodiment of health" and despite my lingering sensitivity issue, i am grateful for otherwise feeling i have achieved incredible health actually and know that in terms of hormones, endocrine function and Anti-aging this philosophy is GOLD. No one person has all the answers and sometimes there are other reasons for situations that may not be related to endocrine function. that is where I am at now.

But wanted to see if there are any other suggestions here for testing requests that might help me get to the bottom of this before i go on Monday. im not even sure my issue is in fact "histamine intolerance" but it could be. i find real data very helpful and more efficient than constant guessing and trial and error. Thank you!!!!!
Hopefully someone who has the science/medical background here could be of help. Sorry, I'm just a layperson! I hope you can get some sound advice how to go forward.

Kray

“I’ve been having a difficult time with histamine lately. I have been getting a lot of niacin flushing lately. I am wondering if Ive got too much methyl burning happening!”

What are your symptoms, Rinse?

Advocate2021

While this discussion for me began in a cyproheptadine thread, thought updates on this topic fit better here. ive been on the low histamine diet for 2 weeks, although learning by trial and error about adulteration of foods even if they are on the "low histamine:" list.

Because i am living unfortunately in a less than optimal environment which i need to change, my progress is limited by this. I will say generally i feel less "allergic" regarding my regular allergies ive had life long. i dont think the chemical hypersensivity has changed at all- and think it may not be related to histamine as its not really an allergy. I am also incredibly challenged to find food - so many of the approved low histamine items are unfortunately adulterated in other ways- bottled juices, dairy with objectionable enzymes or vitamin additives, mold issues - its quite stressful and i just am not set up to order food form on line vendors at the moment and do not think that is a sustainable way to live frankly. I would prefer to be able to get my food locally and am looking at other locations as this current one is quite limited. When i was in Florida, i was able to get better foods for sure and in some ways was better there physically. I used to know what to get when i went shopping- organic OJ, 1 percent milk, traditional cheese, seafood , liver, fruit (including dry when fresh not as plentiful). Now when i go to a store like Whole Foods or Natural Grocers, its like a fishing exhibition trying to find food that isnt poison that will still be optimal for endocrine function. the milks are mainly contaminated with the vitamin fillers and i need lower fat options as cannot do all full fat dairy. there is pretty much zero pure low fat dairy. i thought Kalona brand cottage cheese was good per discussion here; but it is quite sour and problematic due to the cultures- so now that got eliminated. I am down to very few foods that are available and the stress of finding food is not helping the overall situation either.

The doctor who did all my bloodwork that came back great is nice at least. he was able to order a histamine draw for me and referred me to another doctor who sounds interesting and digs on immunological issues and who he thinks can do all those more esoteric tests i mentioned.

this whole food issue has triggered me so much in terms of the state of the world. how vile what has been done to the food supply. short of living off grid and having ones own farm, cattle, chickens etc., im not sure it is possible to even attain optimal health living a mainstream life anymore.

All input welcome regarding food suggestions. I have gotten some good ones from members here but many of the golden foods and vendors not available in my current area- i think a move is in order. When i was on the east coast , i found the food options so much better. Friendship brand cottage cheeses, Calabro brand, fresh squeezed OJ, etc. Guess thats what you get for moving to Walmart Central. Pretty scenery but abominable selection on many fronts here.

ilovethesea

If you have been taking B-vitamins for awhile then this alone could be behind all your issues. The mechanisms on how B-vitamins can worsen symptoms in those with high histamine are complicated. To put it simply, they either tend to increase histamine directly or enhance glutamate and acetylcholine activity.

Glutamate directly increases histamine release. Acetylcholine, by generally increasing glutamate activity, then increases histamine release. The problem of course is because histamine is just too high, so anything that elevates it slightly, directly or indirectly, causes problems. The more histamine you have the more intolerant you tend to be.

You generally won't always have to take it, but lets be patient and not put the cart before the horse. You should work on getting B-vitamins from food. If you don't get much from food then you need to work on that. Meat, eggs, starches, some vegetables and fruits should provide them in adequate quantities.

@redsun What do you think about supplementing niacinamide and/or doing niacin flush to deplete stored histamine?

Have you seen this paper? https://isom.ca/wp-content/uploads/...le_of_Vitamins_B3_and_C_in_the_Treatment-.pdf

ilovethesea

Also @redsun I wanted to thank you for all your posts about histamine/histadelia. Allergy symptoms (runny nose/congestion) is the one thing I haven’t been able to resolve with the “Ray Peat diet” and I’ve been down way too many rabbit holes trying to figure it out.

One thing that made it clear I have an excess histamine issue (not some SIBO/digestive thing) was when I had freezing at the dentist. I could breathe through my nose perfectly until it wore off. Turns out lidocaine blocks histamine release. Effect of lidocaine on histamine release and Ca2+ mobilization from mast cells and basophils - PubMed

Anyway, I’ve been trying high dose vitamin C (same as this protocol Vitamin C testimonial - pollen allergies, nosebleeds, and gluten intolerance) No changes yet but only been a few days. I’m using this product Truly Natural™ Vitamin C | HealthForce SuperFoods

May have to try the Life Extension TMG you suggested but I'm a little scared of taking a methyl donor after reading about their dangers in other threads on here.

Advocate2021

So, ive been on the low histamine diet now for about a month now- think ive gotten the hang of it. i do think it has had an effect on my general allergic threshhold as i have had some improvement in general congestion symptoms. But no effect whatsoever on the chemical sensitivities so I still feel i will need to dive in more scientifically to that. interestingly i ran into a rather eccentric woman on the juice isle at whole foods last night and ended up in an hour long conversation, inclusive of chemical sensitivity mechanisms- she was like a medical encyclopedia and there is a doctor here that deals with this and does all the testing for the various mechanisms she speaks of . We are both Jewish and she said these traits are prevalent in the Jewish line. So, wow- could be divine order. my endocrine system is great- all my hormone and blood work came back pristine. makes sense that i mastered this philosophy and attained great results but that this other issue is independent of that and that is why Dr. Peat could never nail it with me. So excited to hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:

Kray

Kray, how is the TMG working for you? I bought some SAM-e, but I think I will return it and get some TMG instead.
@Pistachio I really can't say I notice much of anything. I'm not even sure what positive effects to be looking for. I find it as confusing as knowing whether I have too-high or too-low histamine. Maybe it has to be taken consistently long-term to see noticeable effects. If you try it, anything you can report back on would be helpful and appreciated. Sorry I couldn't help more, but I do believe you're on the right track going for TMG rather than SAM-e (see @redsun's posts on this thread).

“Several aspects of the immune system are improved by short-chain saturated fats. Their anti-histamine action [39] is probably important, because of histamine's immunosuppressive effects.[40] Unsaturated fats have been found to cause degranulation of mast cells.[41] The short-chain fatty acids normally produced by bacteria in the bowel apparently have a local anti-inflammatory action.[42]” -Ray Peat

Advocate2021

Any input on xyzal here? It's third generation but should not be liver toxic because it doesn't get processed through the liver apparently. However it gets processed through the kidneys so I don't know if that's really much better. But I'm just curious if this could be any safer than all the other ones that of course Dr Pete doesn't like because evidently It's very effective and it was recommended to me by an immunologist that I went to that seems very open to helping me. He also recommended nasal Court spray. At this point I'm pretty open to trying anything because I'm having severe issues. The low histamine diet I don't think it really is done much of anything I've been on it for I believe over 6 weeks now and I'm I don't know that it's helping that much maybe with pollen but nothing else

Pistachio

Thats good then if you are eating the right variety of foods naturally rich in those Bs you should be alright. Grains are the major source of B1 in most people's diets this is why I mentioned it. If you dont eat grains you have to be smart about getting enough B1 and it sounds like you are.

The opioid peptides that form from the breakdown of gluten in wheat increase histamine release, just like opiate medications, just not as severe, this may be part of why symptoms worsen from wheat when you have high histamine.

TMG for a few weeks does not fix high histamine. Its enough time to know if it is improving your histamine symptoms. You may need to take it for months to see a dramatic improvement. Again, it doesnt work alone. This is why I also mentioned choline, creatine, higher protein intake they all contribute to either methylation directly as a methyl donor, or sparing methyl groups that would otherwise be used to make them. Histamine in the body is deactivated by methylation. Over time, providing enough methyl donors should reduce symptoms.
Excellent info, redsun. Thank you.

Advocate2021

Any input on xyzal here? It's third generation but should not be liver toxic because it doesn't get processed through the liver apparently. However it gets processed through the kidneys so I don't know if that's really much better. But I'm just curious if this could be any safer than all the other ones that of course Dr Pete doesn't like because evidently It's very effective and it was recommended to me by an immunologist that I went to that seems very open to helping me. He also recommended nasal Court spray. At this point I'm pretty open to trying anything because I'm having severe issues. The low histamine diet I don't think it really is done much of anything I've been on it for I believe over 6 weeks now and I'm I don't know that it's helping that much maybe with pollen but nothing else
Bump! im desperate and need some relief and ready to try something that might not be "approved" here. does anyone know about this xyzal or anything else for that matter. . i have been on the low histamine diet for months now with no improvement. in fact i think my allergies are now even worse and chemical sensitivity as bad as ever. so i dont think histamine intolerance is my diagnosis but i have no idea what is still. im trying to work with a doctor but just moved again and not sure the one i found in another state will still be able to work with me. benadryl does nothing, cyproheptadine does nothing. i am at a loss. thanks.

ilovethesea

Bump! im desperate and need some relief and ready to try something that might not be "approved" here. does anyone know about this xyzal or anything else for that matter. . i have been on the low histamine diet for months now with no improvement. in fact i think my allergies are now even worse and chemical sensitivity as bad as ever. so i dont think histamine intolerance is my diagnosis but i have no idea what is still. im trying to work with a doctor but just moved again and not sure the one i found in another state will still be able to work with me. benadryl does nothing, cyproheptadine does nothing. i am at a loss. thanks.

Could you be iron deficient? Not sure if redsun is here anymore but that’s one of the things he suggested to me a couple months ago in private message. I’m not a histadelic but I’m always just a little bit stuffed up.

I’m currently trying to eat red meat daily - after years of only having it maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

Advocate2021

Could you be iron deficient? Not sure if redsun is here anymore but that’s one of the things he suggested to me a couple months ago in private message. I’m not a histadelic but I’m always just a little bit stuffed up.

I’m currently trying to eat red meat daily - after years of only having it maybe once every 2-3 weeks.
doubtful eating liver and oysters and meat for 15 years. and never tested deficient in blood although ive heard mention of that not being accurate. but i doubt it with my diet.

ilovethesea

Some other ideas he mentioned in case this helps anybody

- not to take niacin as it will deplete methyl donors and make matters worse
- increase methione + choline to make methyl donors - so eating red meat and eggs
- increase zinc (red meat)
- increase copper (potatoes, mushrooms, dark chocoate)
- increase iodine (dairy)
- not to take antihistamines unless really needed as it makes histamine receptors more sensitive over time

ilovethesea

doubtful eating liver and oysters and meat for 15 years. and never tested deficient in blood although ive heard mention of that not being accurate. but i doubt it with my diet.
Yeah if the red meat doesn’t help me I’m out of ideas! I’ve been following this diet for almost 10 years and red meat is the only thing I didn’t really pay much attention to. My diet was more shellfish, dairy, liver etc.

Did you try high dose vitamin C?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals