Why does iodine hurt my thyroid?

Nebula

I am the iodine queen. I know this forum is pretty much iodine phobic and I understand - but it does wonders for me. I use nacent and not lugols internally. I only use lugols on my skin externally. Most say that the swelling is caused by bromine detox and that sea salt / c helps that - I of course cant prove it. I think a few dots on the skin or a few drops a day in OJ does wonders for breasts, hair, mood, body temp etc. But that's just me ...from taking it for at least 10 years.
I wish iodine supplementation had those effects on me, but it had very negative effects in my case. A couple months of high thyroid production then a very unpleasant crash that I have never fully recovered from. after a few years. I was using small amounts of kelp powder that should have been about 1-2mg of iodine. Do you have any ideas on how to recover? Which brand of nascent iodine do you supplement?

Last edited:

Dr. B

It was my understanding milk, especially goat milk, was still a decent source of iodine. Is it in there but not enough?

all milks are good sources of iodine, at least 30mcg per cup.
non organic milks actually have more, due to iodine based cleaners on the teats and milk bottles and etc which can leech into the milk. and non organic cows are more likely to be supplemented iodine in their feed
if youre avoiding supplemental/added iodine then organic dairy products are better
youll meet Peats iodine requirements which are very low, for larger iodine doses you'd need kelp or supplements. but I doubt kelp would be the same, kelp probably has lots of goitrogenic substances reducing the iodine uptake... the Japanese eating lots of dietary iodine seem to combine it with lots of goitrogenic substances

@danishstargazer

I also wonder if negative effects with taking iodine are from fluoride or bromide being displaced.

despite what Peat says, I believe many people should take iodine. Iodine is no longer in our milk or bread, in fact bromine is in the bread, and fluoride is in the water. even if you drink spring water, most still shower and wash their hands in fluoride. Peaty people also eat a lot of sodium chloride, which "competes with iodide for absorption." finally, "research suggests that only 10% of iodide in iodized salt is bioavailable because of the chloride content."

both quotes here

on fluoride

some breads do have potassium iodide in the ingredients

Makrosky

I wish iodine supplementation had those effects on me, but it had very negative effects in my case. A couple months of high thyroid production then a very unpleasant crash that I have never fully recovered from. after a few years. I was using small amounts of kelp powder that should have been about 1-2mg of iodine. Do you have any ideas on how to recover? Which brand of nascent iodine do you supplement?
Kelp is absolute garbage. I think it also messed up completely mr bollox metabolism. And many other bad experiences from it on the forum. That garbage should be declared toxic and its selling forbidden.

Lugol or nascent or the like are a very different thing.

Dr. B

Kelp is absolute garbage. I think it also messed up completely mr bollox metabolism. And many other bad experiences from it on the forum. That garbage should be declared toxic and its selling forbidden.

i used terrys tri iodine which has sodium and potassium iodide and a bit of molecular iodine, and the life extension sea iodine which is sourced from kelp but is an extract apparently, they use kelp as starting source

Jam

i used terrys tri iodine which has sodium and potassium iodide and a bit of molecular iodine, and the life extension sea iodine which is sourced from kelp but is an extract apparently, they use kelp as starting source
All junk.

Dr. B

All junk.
what do you think are the issues with sodium iodide, also isnt molecular iodine the same as whats in lugols?
do you think Alex Jones looks the way he does due to improper use of iodine/lack of antioxidants to process it properly

Nebula

Any ideas on how to recover from damage from kelp powder? It’s been a few years and my thyroid function is still weak. I don’t seem to get any response from lugols.

Jam

what do you think are the issues with sodium iodide, also isnt molecular iodine the same as whats in lugols?
do you think Alex Jones looks the way he does due to improper use of iodine/lack of antioxidants to process it properly

Dr. B

the sodium iodide should be as good and safe as potassium iodide?

Makrosky

Any ideas on how to recover from damage from kelp powder? It’s been a few years and my thyroid function is still weak. I don’t seem to get any response from lugols.
Sorry, I don't.

But are you sure kelp can damage your thyroid function for so long? What does your full thyroid panel look like? (autoantibodies, TSH, ft3, ft4, etc.)

Jam

the sodium iodide should be as good and safe as potassium iodide?
Yes, it is. But is it relevant? Potassium iodide is hydrolized and then converted to sodium iodide after ingestion anyhow. So what?

Hmm. for some reason totally unable to take Kelp- I can tolerate it when eating a little bit of rolled sushi but I have to limit it. I like the Mary Ruths brand of iodine drops. I do pulse dose iodine. I know when my body needs it and I don't take it every day. I like to put it in my Peaty orange juice. As for recovery, I would say to do a lot of Magnesium supplementation, - get your mag levels WAY up before starting iodine.

Dr. B

Hmm. for some reason totally unable to take Kelp- I can tolerate it when eating a little bit of rolled sushi but I have to limit it. I like the Mary Ruths brand of iodine drops. I do pulse dose iodine. I know when my body needs it and I don't take it every day. I like to put it in my Peaty orange juice. As for recovery, I would say to do a lot of Magnesium supplementation, - get your mag levels WAY up before starting iodine.
whats in your Peaty orange juice
why are magnesium levels needed to be so high up

Makrosky

What is your preferred way of upping magnesium?

I like mag glycinate but I feel it won't never replenish mag stores at normal dosage. It is kind of "maintenance mode".

Tried epsom salts foot bath but it is kind of time consuming.

Tried also topical oil but it is a mess also.

Magnesium.bicarbonate I never felt it worked. Nothing. Zero effects.

Tried ionic magnesium (remag from Carolyn Dean) but I get super tired with it and not feel really well. That stuff is weird. Have you tried it?

And many other forms. Mag glycinate is the best so far.

Nebula

Agree, magnesium is important. I’ve tried a lot of different things to increase magnesium over the last few years, but I seem to have poor retention. I think due to low atp, because my t3 is low. I just started supplementing B3 to hopefully increase NAD and atp, hopefully this will allow me to retain magnesium so I respond to thyroid and iodine better.

aniciete

I only cited a paper and I definitely would not mind if you cited a paper proving me wrong. I don't think we should disregard the evidence coming from China. There are dozens upon dozens of studies showing the same thing. Even when they added iodine to salt, they saw the biggest increase in thyroid nodules as well as anti-bodies in the cities with the highest iodine intake.
He said he started using iodine and then experienced thyroid pain. Seemed like the iodine had something to do with it. You eat junk food and you get diarrhea, I'd say the junk food is the cause.
Could the iodine in milk become a problem? It seems like different sources haven’t different amounts depending on sanitation methods

Hans

Forum Supporter
Could the iodine in milk become a problem? It seems like different sources haven’t different amounts depending on sanitation methods
Very unlikely, unless iodine was added.

Dr. B

There are some sites showing huge differences in iodine content with non organic vs organic dairy. Maybe eggs too. Organic dairy has significantly less iodine. It was like 30mcg per yogurt cup instead of 100mcg. Someone on here posted iodine figures for whey and there was crazy amounts of iodine in non organic whey. The article said the iodine concentrates in whey or something.

Dr. B

The thyroid nodules and antibodies in response to iodine you mentioned. Are those due to iodine increasing hydrogen peroxide levels in the thyroid, which causes tissue damage/breakdown which is then responsible for the rise of antibodies?

Hans

Forum Supporter
The thyroid nodules and antibodies in response to iodine you mentioned. Are those due to iodine increasing hydrogen peroxide levels in the thyroid, which causes tissue damage/breakdown which is then responsible for the rise of antibodies?
Not sure. I've only read association studies, which didn't dive into the mechanics iirc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals