My Iodine Levels Are Low

mgrabs

Im already on NP thyroid from my doctor (75mg)
I noticed my iodine level is low end of the range.

Iodine 52
The range is 52-109

Does anyone here suggest supplementing?

Lugols?

Any thoughts on what to do? Maybe thats why my thyroid has been cruddy!

Attachments

• 74155B22-DB3F-4F64-816F-7EDDD1D72C1A.jpeg
    74155B22-DB3F-4F64-816F-7EDDD1D72C1A.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 12

jmparret

Bottle says 440 mcg which is noted at 257% of required amount. They are not sure what the dose needed, it was a flawed study years ago which i cannot find now.
I am thinking of increasing to two pills.

OP
M

mgrabs

Bottle says 440 mcg which is noted at 257% of required amount. They are not sure what the dose needed, it was a flawed study years ago which i cannot find now.
I am thinking of increasing to two pills.
Have you tried Lugol’s?

jmparret

I tried drops once but like kelp better. Do not forget about potassium, sodium, and magnesium. All those are important too.

youngsinatra

Serum iodine is not a reliable biomarker for iodine sufficiency according to my doctor. That’s why it’s very rarely tested.

There are not so great iodine tests in general. Some say urinary excretion is a good / better one.

mostlylurking

Iodine 52
The range is 52-109

Lugols?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_I9PLUg0lM

Watch all of it. Towards the end, he recommends testing before supplementing, then recommends a specific iodine supplement only if you have tested deficient.

here's his book: Iodine: Why You Need It. Why You Can't Live Without It. 5th Edition — Dr Brownstein’s Holistic Medicine

Too much iodine can really mess you up.

kimbriel

Iodine 52
The range is 52-109
I would recommend the 24 hour iodine loading test for a more accurate result. I can't get it here in CA.
I supplement according to the Brownstein protocol, salt-loading (unrefined sea salt, selenium). It's been good for me. Most importantly, I painted a 1cm skin lesion with iodine daily for 6 weeks, using coconut oil as a carrier oil, and the lesion is almost entirely gone now. I'm going to be painting a fibroadenoma next.

Lugols?

You need iodine, and Brownstein does have good results with treating thyroid patients with iodine, but I would test selenium and also supplement that, if you have Hashimoto's (I do). But my case is also different, as I pretty much replace all the T3 that my thyroid should be making on its own, with synthetic T3 (and a little T4 that's in 1 grain of NP Thyroid). So my thyroid isn't really expected to do anything on its own anymore. Be aware that if you decide to start supplementing iodine, your TSH will go up at first... but your FT3 and FT4 shouldn't be affected during that time.

mostlylurking

unrefined sea salt,
Beware the unrefined sea salt. Go here and search for "sea salt" and read through. Listen to ones that catch your eye.
a snippet:
"Interesting, but do not these different fancier ones, you know, the Himalayan, and what's the other one from over there in Europe, Celtic sea salt, don't they have enough sodium chloride to be okay? - Very good, except they contain heavy metals. - Heavy metals, they all do."

another snippet:
"Anything from the English Channel is now likely to have uranium. They're dumping their nuclear waste into the Channel. Awesome. Yummy Celtic sea salt."

kimbriel

Beware the unrefined sea salt. Go here and search for "sea salt" and read through. Listen to ones that catch your eye.
a snippet:
"Interesting, but do not these different fancier ones, you know, the Himalayan, and what's the other one from over there in Europe, Celtic sea salt, don't they have enough sodium chloride to be okay? - Very good, except they contain heavy metals. - Heavy metals, they all do."

another snippet:
"Anything from the English Channel is now likely to have uranium. They're dumping their nuclear waste into the Channel. Awesome. Yummy Celtic sea salt."
Yes, I know Ray recommended canning and pickling salt for the purity... I personally feel I need the minerals and I think my source is pretty good.

kimbriel

Are you eating shellfish? Eating shellfish should provide the minerals you need.
Not too often - Maybe a couple times a month? We had crab the other day, and lobster a couple weeks ago. In terms of seafood, I mostly eat shrimp. I've been meaning to take a trip out to an oyster company for the oysters.

On that note, since you know quite a bit, do you have any idea how I would test for my free fatty acid composition in blood? There is a blood test apparently, not sure if it's any good and I found a finger prick test on that's called the OmegaQuant. With how much weight I lost, very quickly, I'm a bit worried about lipolysis. But I'm taking aspirin and niacinamide and vitamin E to help with that. Any other ideas?

mostlylurking

Not too often - Maybe a couple times a month? We had crab the other day, and lobster a couple weeks ago. In terms of seafood, I mostly eat shrimp. I've been meaning to take a trip out to an oyster company for the oysters.

On that note, since you know quite a bit, do you have any idea how I would test for my free fatty acid composition in blood? There is a blood test apparently, not sure if it's any good and I found a finger prick test on that's called the OmegaQuant. With how much weight I lost, very quickly, I'm a bit worried about lipolysis. But I'm taking aspirin and niacinamide and vitamin E to help with that. Any other ideas?
I found that taking 100mg of niacinamide 4Xday helps a lot. Niacinamide is water soluble so it is only around for a couple of hours so the small more frequent doses make sense.

I don't know anything about blood testing for lipids, sorry. Since both the omega 3's and omega 6's are toxic and I assume you are sticking with saturated fats in your diet, this would be pretty much all you can do. I do remember Dr. Peat said that the body makes omega 9's (unsaturated fats) when the body isn't being poisoned via PUFA and that omega 9 showing up on a lab test tells the doctor you are "deficient" in the "essential fatty acids". Omega 9 is very protective. Go here and search for "omega 9".

Smoked oysters, packed in olive oil, drained & patted dry are pretty good. I eat them with crackers & goat cheese and capers. Peat advised to have shellfish weekly.

kimbriel

I found that taking 100mg of niacinamide 4Xday helps a lot. Niacinamide is water soluble so it is only around for a couple of hours so the small more frequent doses make sense.

I don't know anything about blood testing for lipids, sorry. Since both the omega 3's and omega 6's are toxic and I assume you are sticking with saturated fats in your diet, this would be pretty much all you can do. I do remember Dr. Peat said that the body makes omega 9's (unsaturated fats) when the body isn't being poisoned via PUFA and that omega 9 showing up on a lab test tells the doctor you are "deficient" in the "essential fatty acids". Omega 9 is very protective. Go here and search for "omega 9".

Smoked oysters, packed in olive oil, drained & patted dry are pretty good. I eat them with crackers & goat cheese and capers.
Ok, the niacinamide I have is 500mg capsules, so it sounds like I have to get smaller doses. Will do.

Yes, I eat almost entirely saturated fat. I estimate maybe a couple of grams of PUFA a day.

However, the reason I'm even in this mess to begin with is years and years of high PUFA consumption, seed oils and fish oils. It just wasn't on my radar. I believe it's what wrecked my thyroid and is connected to why I got neuroendocrine cancer of the lung. Estrogen Dominance (short luteal phases my whole life) and taking birth control for a few years certainly didn't help matters. Now in my 40s, I'm a trainwreck and I find it so disheartening. So much damage to recover from.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals