Why Can I Only Run On Catecholamines And Not On Thyroid?

lampofred

I feel that I operate only via sympathetic nervous system activity. High estrogen and cortisol cause cocaine-like alertness and if I do anything that causes cortisol to drop (like oversleeping or drinking alcohol) my metabolism plummets. If my metabolism were thyroid-driven as opposed to catecholamine-driven I think that it would feel much less fragile. The t4 in combination t4+t3 doesn't convert to t3 and actually drops my temps, and I only ever feel thyroid activity from nibbling t3 but I quickly stop responding even to that, plus it is not sustainable to nibble t3 every hour for the rest of my life. After I tried t3 I truly felt that I have had zero natural thyroid/progesterone since my early teens.

My vitamin D is high, my blood sugar is good, and I think my liver is in decent health because I can drink pretty good amounts of coffee with no agitation. I eat as much protein every day as I can stomach (excess protein causes 5ht overload symptoms for me). So what could be the issue?

I would invest in blood tests. Without having labs we tend to misinterpret whatever we feel. Thyroid panel including reverse t3 is a good starting point.

Doing labs is actually investment not an expense. You invest into your future wellbeing

OP
L

lampofred

I would invest in blood tests. Without having labs we tend to misinterpret whatever we feel. Thyroid panel including reverse t3 is a good starting point.

Doing labs is actually investment not an expense. You invest into your future wellbeing

My tsh has been always below 1 (plummets to .01 whenever I get tested while I'm taking thyroid), cholesterol is borderline low (160 without thyroid, 120 when I'm taking thyroid), t3/t4 were almost exactly on the low border. I never got rt3 tested but I am almost certain it's high, but the standard sugar, vit D, carrot salad, protein, etc. isn't lowering it to the extent that my t3 can activate.

Regina

I feel that I operate only via sympathetic nervous system activity. High estrogen and cortisol cause cocaine-like alertness and if I do anything that causes cortisol to drop (like oversleeping or drinking alcohol) my metabolism plummets. If my metabolism were thyroid-driven as opposed to catecholamine-driven I think that it would feel much less fragile. The t4 in combination t4+t3 doesn't convert to t3 and actually drops my temps, and I only ever feel thyroid activity from nibbling t3 but I quickly stop responding even to that, plus it is not sustainable to nibble t3 every hour for the rest of my life. After I tried t3 I truly felt that I have had zero natural thyroid/progesterone since my early teens.

My vitamin D is high, my blood sugar is good, and I think my liver is in decent health because I can drink pretty good amounts of coffee with no agitation. I eat as much protein every day as I can stomach (excess protein causes 5ht overload symptoms for me). So what could be the issue?
I think I am similar.
Once I blocked estrogen and cortisol, I was like "Hello? Hello?" Where's my good ole self who can work several jobs and train aikido six classes per week? She exists no more.
I don't want to go back though.
I do think I was always dopamine /epinephrine dominant type. I do miss the "energy".
I think the "stress" of that over-active 'productivity' simultaneous to environmental and personal stresses (nasty people) would have changed me whether or not I adopted Peat ideas. It had to give anyway.
Recently, I have added another cup of coffee or I'll pop a 100mg caffeine capsule. That has helped. Ray Peat the comedian said cocaine was safer than estrogen.
I don't want to try cocaine and I don't want the estrogen.
Coffee, taurine, thiamine all help. But I do need a 20 minute nap in the afternoon.
If nibbling T3 every hour helps, then maybe it is what you need???

Hugh Johnson

I remember when I took methylene blue for the first time. I felt like a pressure was let out of my head. It felt great and the relaxation was such that for a few weeks I had trouble forming sentences.

Stress hormones are a compensation to keep you alive and functional. If you lower them you need to fix the underlying issues to gain full functionality.

I would suggest a temperature reset. It might teach the body to function at a normal temperature without high stress hormone levels.

S.Seneff

I don't know, perhaps eating more frequently the same amount of calories.

Perhaps your body need many weeks of relax state before being less sensitive to adverse signals.

But I think that without the proper daily environment wich influence you day after day, you will probably need to dope yourself each day with the right supplement.

The influence of the structure of the society and the way people are conditionne to interact with each other is just too powerfull.

S.Seneff

This quote appears on my screen lol ! :

"Perhaps many of us underestimated just how low our metabolisms were. Gbolduev said something like only 20% of people would be healthy on a Peat diet. I remember in a Matt Stone interview he had a similar figure as far as success went on his "everything" diet.The ordering was wrong here. Many thought that milk and OJ was the way out of a low metabolism when in fact it is the foods that work well for people who already have a high metabolism. You could rename this whole forum "How to fix a broken metabolism." The world's problem is a broken metabolism."

S.Seneff

Sorry for the spam but I olso think that it is too cold in France right now. When your pulmonary alveoles detect cold air, your body start the adrenal system.

sweetpeat

Interesting that your TSH is low but t4 and t3 are also low. Have you looked into this? Maybe pituitary issue?

Hans

Forum Supporter

Thinks that lower cortisol like alcohol and oversleeping. Have you tried anything else that lower cortisol, like an adaptogen? If so, do you respond the same?

Lecarpetron

I felt stuck in high SNS mode for my first years of attempting metabolic improvement. I also had low TSH and zero luck with T4/T3 combo. After many iterations of lifestyle changes that didn't move the dial, I tried bodywork and have had some success with that (somatic experiencing, rolfing). I now experience temp increases from twice per day T3 in a way that feels different from adrenaline rushes to me.

Also found some interesting nervous system balancing suggestions from occupational therapists in the book Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight...things I never would've thought of like jumping on a trampoline. The general idea: improving your brain's ability to correctly interpret body sensations (from both internal/external sources) as NOT being threats will calm the nervous system.

LUH 3417

I felt stuck in high SNS mode for my first years of attempting metabolic improvement. I also had low TSH and zero luck with T4/T3 combo. After many iterations of lifestyle changes that didn't move the dial, I tried bodywork and have had some success with that (somatic experiencing, rolfing). I now experience temp increases from twice per day T3 in a way that feels different from adrenaline rushes to me.

Also found some interesting nervous system balancing suggestions from occupational therapists in the book Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight...things I never would've thought of like jumping on a trampoline. The general idea: improving your brain's ability to correctly interpret body sensations (from both internal/external sources) as NOT being threats will calm the nervous system.
Curious if you’ve heard of Irene Lyon? I get her emails in my inbox, she has free videos online and workshops you must pay for to attend. She worked with Peter Levine and developed his ideas a bit more (I think?) just wondering if you have come across her in your learning about the body.

YourUniverse

You have the opposite problem as me. I am parasympathetic dominant by default. I chill out, verging on apathy. What works for me, iron-clad, is more protein and fat and slightly less carb (maybe 30% of calories as carbs). The opposite, high carb (65%+ of calories), could be your fix.

How long after eating do you feel hungry again? Are you the type to forget a meal, and thrive on lighter foods? I think about food all day until I eat something ultra satiating, like steak fried in coconut oil and garlic, with whole milk (for example).

Wilfrid

@lampofred
When you have time, please have a look on Dr Fuad Lechìn's works. Check his website, his pedigree. Try to put your hands on his book: Neurocircuitry and Neuroautonomic Disorders: Reviews and Therapeutic Strategies. You can easily download it online.
The guy, like RP, lives on another scientific planet. But his knowledge on ANS is unsurpassed. It's technical but worth every effort.

Lecarpetron

Curious if you’ve heard of Irene Lyon? I get her emails in my inbox, she has free videos online and workshops you must pay for to attend. She worked with Peter Levine and developed his ideas a bit more (I think?) just wondering if you have come across her in your learning about the body.

Yes, actually it was an interview with her that first pointed me to somatic experiencing. I'm very grateful for her work.

OP
L

lampofred

Thinks that lower cortisol like alcohol and oversleeping. Have you tried anything else that lower cortisol, like an adaptogen? If so, do you respond the same?

Vitamin D should lower cortisol and I think, based on symptoms, that it does, but it doesn't help me to respond to thyroid.

OP
L

lampofred

@lampofred
When you have time, please have a look on Dr Fuad Lechìn's works. Check his website, his pedigree. Try to put your hands on his book: Neurocircuitry and Neuroautonomic Disorders: Reviews and Therapeutic Strategies. You can easily download it online.
The guy, like RP, lives on another scientific planet. But his knowledge on ANS is unsurpassed. It's technical but worth every effort.

Will check it out.