Why does iodine hurt my thyroid?

JacobG

Every time I take Lugol's iodine my thyroid starts to hurt. I heard somewhere that this could be a sign of thyroid disease but was never able to find a good explanation about what is wrong.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause the issue?

Makrosky

Are you taking selenomethionine? Because lack of it is the most probable reason your thyroid hurts when using Lugol. There are a lot of threads about iodine on the forum, look for the most recent ones, there is good info there.

Dr. B

Every time I take Lugol's iodine my thyroid starts to hurt. I heard somewhere that this could be a sign of thyroid disease but was never able to find a good explanation about what is wrong.

i got serious issues when potassium iodide was hurting my thyroid, it was inflaming it even when I took selenium
how long have you been using iodine for and at what dosage?
you may need to take some antioxidants or something...
have you had symptoms like hair loss weight gain etc

Vileplume

I'm not an expert on iodine, but I have heard Peat say that any excess iodine, even a tiny bit too much, suppresses thyroid function.

SneezeStar

Whenever I have taken iodine I get the same thing, thyroid hurts. I got injected with iodine for medical imaging and that also made my thyroid sore.

Dr. B

Whenever I have taken iodine I get the same thing, thyroid hurts. I got injected with iodine for medical imaging and that also made my thyroid sore.
what kind of iodine was that? that may be the super toxic type, dont they use radioactive iodine or somethin for medical tests? did you have severe hypothyroidism symptoms since doing those tests?

OP
J

JacobG

i got serious issues when potassium iodide was hurting my thyroid, it was inflaming it even when I took selenium
how long have you been using iodine for and at what dosage?
you may need to take some antioxidants or something...
have you had symptoms like hair loss weight gain etc
No hair loss or weight gain. Thyroid panel is usually ok: TSH <1, T4/T3 on the higher end.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Totally, three mechanisms (47) have been assumed for the development of iodine-induced autoimmune thyroiditis. First, iodine intake increases the immunogenicity of thyroglobulin (Tg), thereby precipitating an autoimmune process at both the T- and B-cell level (48, 49, 50). Secondly, iodine has a toxic effect on thyroid cells (51, 52, 53). Thirdly, iodine directly stimulates immune and immunity-related cells (54, 55, 56). (R)

Dr. B

Totally, three mechanisms (47) have been assumed for the development of iodine-induced autoimmune thyroiditis. First, iodine intake increases the immunogenicity of thyroglobulin (Tg), thereby precipitating an autoimmune process at both the T- and B-cell level (48, 49, 50). Secondly, iodine has a toxic effect on thyroid cells (51, 52, 53). Thirdly, iodine directly stimulates immune and immunity-related cells (54, 55, 56). (R)
how would you heal or reverse that damage for people who have used the large iodine doses

Jam

I'm not going to comment Hans's post because I respect him, and this is a Ray Peat forum. Suffice it to say that I would be extremely careful with studies coming out of China. I would explore the much more credible viral induced auto-immune hypothesis. For example:

Jam

Also, @JacobG, do you know what your vitamin D levels are/were when you tried supplementing iodine?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm not going to comment Hans's post because I respect him, and this is a Ray Peat forum. Suffice it to say that I would be extremely careful with studies coming out of China. I would explore the much more credible viral induced auto-immune hypothesis. For example:
I only cited a paper and I definitely would not mind if you cited a paper proving me wrong. I don't think we should disregard the evidence coming from China. There are dozens upon dozens of studies showing the same thing. Even when they added iodine to salt, they saw the biggest increase in thyroid nodules as well as anti-bodies in the cities with the highest iodine intake.
He said he started using iodine and then experienced thyroid pain. Seemed like the iodine had something to do with it. You eat junk food and you get diarrhea, I'd say the junk food is the cause.

Jam

Disregarding the viral-induced hypothesis, that I think probably accounts for a good portion of auto-immune cases, the following more or less summarizes my opinion on the study you posted:

Rapid Response:​

Iodine deficiency, not excess, is the cause of autoimmune thyroid disease​

The link between iodine intake and thyroid autoimmunity is more complex than Neeru Gupta suggests (Response, 08 April 2016), but increasing evidence implicates iodine deficiency, not excess, as the cause of autoimmune thyroid disease.
‘…several cross-sectional studies have reported that thyroid autoimmunity is increased in populations with deficient iodine intakes…Major benefits of increasing iodine intakes in populations with iodine deficiency…[include] a decrease in the prevalence of…thyrotoxicosis in adults.’(1)
‘Chronic iodine excess does not apparently increase the risk of autoimmune hyperthyroidism, suggesting that excessive iodine intake may not be an environmental factor involved in the occurrence of autoimmune hyperthyroidism.’ (2)
‘Concern has been raised suggesting that iodination of salt led to the emergence or increase in prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis. In regions where chronic excess consumption of iodine occurs, studies have not found an association between iodine intake and prevalence of this disorder.’ (3)
A study to determine if the introduction of iodized salt induces thyroid autoimmunity in iodine-deficient, goitrous children (baseline median UI was 17 mcg/L), found that none developed clinical or ultrasonographic evidence of thyroid autoimmune disease and/or iodine-induced hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. The authors concluded that rapid introduction of iodized salt does not provoke significant thyroid autoimmunity in severely iodine-deficient children followed for 1 year. (4)
In Japan, where dietary iodine intakes are high, it has been shown that ‘The incidence of Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s disease does not appear to be affected by high intakes of iodine.‘ (5)
Evidence is also accumulating that iodine deficiency is able to precipitate thyroid autoimmune reactivity in humans.’ (6)
‘Iodine deficiency precipitates a mild (physiological) form of thyroid autoimmune reactivity.’ (7)
Whilst it is recognised that iodine supplementation carries a small risk of iodine-induced hyperthyroidism (IIH), this condition usually results from autonomously functioning thyroid nodules (which arise as a result of iodine deficiency and then produce excess thyroid hormones when iodine intake is increased). IIH is thus considered to be one of the iodine deficiency disorders; it is not an autoimmune condition. Ultimately, though, ‘the benefits of correcting iodine deficiency far outweigh its risks.’ (8)
1. Iodine deficiency and thyroid disorders. Michael B Zimmermann, Kristien Boelaert. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2015; 3: 286–95
2. Chronic iodine excess does not increase the incidence of hyperthyroidism: a prospective community-based epidemiological survey in China. Fan Yang et al. European Journal of Endocrinology 2007; 156 403–408
3. Autoimmune Thyroiditis and Iodine Therapy. Flechas, Jorge. Journal of Restorative Medicine, Volume 2, Number 1, October 2013, pp. 54-59
4. Introduction of iodized salt to severely iodine-deficient children does not provoke thyroid autoimmunity: a one-year prospective trial in northern Morocco. Zimmermann MB, Moretti D, Chaouki N, Torresani T. Thyroid. 2003 Feb;13(2):199-203
5. Iodine and Health. WHO, Geneva, 1994: P. 4
6. Iodine deficiency induces thyroid autoimmune reactivity in Wistar rats. MOOIJ, H. J. DE WIT et al. Endocrinology 1993 Sep;133(3):1197-1204
7. Iodine and thyroid autoimmune disease in animal models. Ruwhof C, Drexhage HA. Thyroid. 2001 May;11(5):427-36
8. The Iodine Deficiency Disorders. Creswell J. Eastman, M.D., Michael Zimmermann, M.D. Thyroid Disease Manager (www.thyroidmanager.org); Updated February 12, 2014
Competing interests: No competing interests

OP
J

JacobG

@Hans Thanks. I read something similar some time ago. Will go over this when I have time.

@Jam My Vit D levels are generally very high.

I am the iodine queen. I know this forum is pretty much iodine phobic and I understand - but it does wonders for me. I use nacent and not lugols internally. I only use lugols on my skin externally. Most say that the swelling is caused by bromine detox and that sea salt / c helps that - I of course cant prove it. I think a few dots on the skin or a few drops a day in OJ does wonders for breasts, hair, mood, body temp etc. But that's just me ...from taking it for at least 10 years.

Dr. B

I am the iodine queen. I know this forum is pretty much iodine phobic and I understand - but it does wonders for me. I use nacent and not lugols internally. I only use lugols on my skin externally. Most say that the swelling is caused by bromine detox and that sea salt / c helps that - I of course cant prove it. I think a few dots on the skin or a few drops a day in OJ does wonders for breasts, hair, mood, body temp etc. But that's just me ...from taking it for at least 10 years.
it causes growth of the breasts and the scalp hair? would it increase the sex organs in both genders?

Luann

@danishstargazer

I also wonder if negative effects with taking iodine are from fluoride or bromide being displaced.

despite what Peat says, I believe many people should take iodine. Iodine is no longer in our milk or bread, in fact bromine is in the bread, and fluoride is in the water. even if you drink spring water, most still shower and wash their hands in fluoride. Peaty people also eat a lot of sodium chloride, which "competes with iodide for absorption." finally, "research suggests that only 10% of iodide in iodized salt is bioavailable because of the chloride content."

both quotes here

on fluoride

Sefton10

Iodine is no longer in our milk
It was my understanding milk, especially goat milk, was still a decent source of iodine. Is it in there but not enough?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals