What Is Ray Peat's Goal?

Energizer

You know, I read that book by illych. Although I agree with a lot of it, I have to admit, the treatment that the medical establishment gives to women in childbirth is worth preserving.

My partner was extremely healthy, deemed low-risk, no problems for healthy delivery. Last minute, and 7.5 litres of blood later, my partner and child could have both been killed if it wasn't for medical professionals who were able to save their lives.

I'm not a friend of medicine at all, but Illych is a lazy critic.

I'm not sure you even disagree with Illich. I don't think Illich would've advocated for having nobody knowing what's going on in the case of when your wife needed support. On the contrary, I believe he was fighting against the guarding of exclusive knowledge just as Peat is. The establishment of modern medicine has a monopoly on knowledge. The more exclusive it is, the more dangerous and stupid it tends to be. I believe Illich was fighting against the medical establishment, not against knowledge of medicine or assisting a woman in childbirth. Perhaps in the future nurses and doctors will assist everyone on a more voluntary basis, and even better if more people knew how to do these things independently, so as not to have to rely on someone else. I don't see how the disestablishment of mainstream medicine would be mutually elusive with having nurses or midwives assist in childbirth.

Sunny Jack

He also said in another interview he had had pet hamsters to avert loneliness, so he might be referring to them.

Lol! He's probably given them such adequate nutrition and supplements so that they're super-intelligent and capable of speech :D

On a serious note, does anyone know where this interview where he mentions the hamsters is? I've seen it referenced on this forum three times, yet there is never a link to it.

AretnaP

He's just an old guy who likes learning about physiology.
@ecstatichamster
This is legit, they make lots of money by keeping people alive but don't when somebody is cured of something or able to use low-cost medicine to keep themselves healthy.

InChristAlone

I know c-sections and hemorrhages are sometimes an emergency in childbirth but the US is terrible for birth outcomes compared to other countries. I gave birth at home with a midwife, she even stitched up my tears after. Then she wasn't available for my 2nd so thankfully we had a birth center go up and I gave birth quite easily in a tub there. Now thanks to regulations and stupid insurance companies that birth center just closed down. Terrible terrible terrible. I agree with Illich.

ilikecats

"
7. What impact would you like to see your research make on society? Reaching the largest amount of people? or a certain type of person? Or are you completely detached from the outcome?

I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine. The same general outcomes Ivan Illich worked for.
"

from Ray Peat Interviews Revisited | Vision and Acceptance
That's pretty ballsy of Peat to say that. A little grandiose... right up my alley! Peats got them sky high dht and testosterone levels. "Set the stage with a goal, to have the game locked in a cage gettin shocked with a pole". "Suckas get pushed back when Im kickin real facts"- Ray Peat Phd

tankasnowgod

I know c-sections and hemorrhages are sometimes an emergency in childbirth but the US is terrible for birth outcomes compared to other countries. I gave birth at home with a midwife, she even stitched up my tears after. Then she wasn't available for my 2nd so thankfully we had a birth center go up and I gave birth quite easily in a tub there. Now thanks to regulations and stupid insurance companies that birth center just closed down. Terrible terrible terrible. I agree with Illich.

What do you mean by "birth outcomes?" Do you have a good example of a country with better ones?

I know this was something that Weston A. Price brought up, that giving birth in modern areas was much more difficult than in primitive cultures that he studied that still ate a more traditional, nutrient dense diet. I think Kate Rheume-Blue also mentioned that supplemental K2 (along with the other fat soluble vitamins) could produce healthier babies, and even make labor easier, even for adult modern women.

InChristAlone

The US c-section rate is one of the highest in the world. I view needing a c-section as a not so great birth outcome. Also infant mortality kinda sucks for a first world country.

Yeah for all our advancements are Mamas and babies really getting better care? 'The business of being born' is a good documentary about that.

LUH 3417

What do you mean by "birth outcomes?" Do you have a good example of a country with better ones?

I know this was something that Weston A. Price brought up, that giving birth in modern areas was much more difficult than in primitive cultures that he studied that still ate a more traditional, nutrient dense diet. I think Kate Rheume-Blue also mentioned that supplemental K2 (along with the other fat soluble vitamins) could produce healthier babies, and even make labor easier, even for adult modern women.
Much evidence based practice is not implemented within maternal health care. There are many studies showing that birthing at home or at a birth center is the best option for low risk healthy moms, but most people in the US don't even know midwives exist and think home birth is for crunchy hippies/crazies.

All babies regardless if born vaginally or by caesarean will receive erythromycin eye drops as prophylaxis against a potential eye infection caused by bacteria picked up when descending through the birth canal which could potentially lead to blindness. Since c section babies never descend down the birth canal, erythromycin drops are useless and serve no purpose however every single baby is given these eye drops at every hospital and most birth centers "because...science?"

There are many other examples of this. If a baby comes out screaming it has an apgar of 9 and suctioning it's nose/mouth is completely unnecessary and may be even more harmful than beneficial. However many hospitals do vigorous and invasive suctioning despite research showing that allowing them to clear their nose and mouths by breathing is much
preferred.
Pitocin is another issue...many mothers are induced with pitocin which mimics uterine contractions caused by oxytocin but has none of the psychological effects as it is synthetic and not released by the pituitary gland. Michel Odent has written on the link between pitocin inductions and autism. Yet almost every single mom I've witnessed on Labor and Delivery will receive a pitocin induction unless she comes in fully dilated and the babies head is basically poking out. Despite research on "normal" gestation periods Obs and some medwives will induce moms just because they think they can't go past a certain date. Scandinavian countries have something like a 10% caesarean rate whereas urban hospitals in the US have as high a rate as 50%. The nurses were joking about July 3 being a popular birthday because all the doctors wanted their deliveries done so they could get to their vacation destination. Some doctors won't deliver your baby if you don't go into labor Mon-Fri, 9-5. There is tons of evidence about the effectiveness of hydrotherapy and acupuncture throughout labor but it violates JACO (hospital inspectors) standards and increases liability for insurance companies so good luck finding a hospital with a hot tub in its birthing rooms.

I sometimes think that whoever started the field of gynecology hated women and sure enough the first American gyno was a slave owner who tortured his female slaves with medical experiments to develop his practice.

The medicalization of birth is actually anti science in many ways, but in true Orwellian fashion presents itself as otherwise.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

The US c-section rate is one of the highest in the world. I view needing a c-section as a not so great birth outcome. Also infant mortality kinda sucks for a first world country.

Yeah for all our advancements are Mamas and babies really getting better care? 'The business of being born' is a good documentary about that.
Why the C-section rate is much higher than it should be in US

That's an interesting article I found. It mentions how obstetricians often get sued for malpractice. Also, note that 64% of American women are either overweight or obese, which significantly increases birthing complications; since we're the most obese nation, it's not surprising that we have among the highest C-section rate.

LUH 3417

That's an interesting article I found. It mentions how obstetricians often get sued for malpractice. Also, note that 64% of American women are either overweight or obese, which significantly increases birthing complications; since we're the most obese nation, it's not surprising that we have among the highest C-section rate.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I think using obesity as an excuse for poor outcomes in the US is not representative of the entire issue and actually a form of avoidance. Maternal health care also includes the health of the baby post partum and hospitals are notoriously bad at promoting things like skin to skin contact (which releases oxytocin and decreases the risk of hemorrhage), breastfeeding, and evidence based vaccine schedules. I agree that being high risk puts a mom in a different category but not every mom should be treated as high risk which is essentially what happens at a hospital.

LUH 3417

Also, c-section rates have grown incredibly in China and other Asian countries which do not have an obesity epidemic on par with that of the United States. India has a very high c section rate and a low prevalence of obesity, so there are obviously many factors coming into play.

DaveFoster

Also, c-section rates have grown incredibly in China and other Asian countries which do not have an obesity epidemic on par with that of the United States. India has a very high c section rate and a low prevalence of obesity, so there are obviously many factors coming into play.
I'm not defending the U.S. healthcare system in any sense, and I agree that there are many factors.

Obesity, obstetric complications and cesarean delivery rate--a population-based screening study. - PubMed - NCBI

RESULTS:
The study included 16,102 patients: 3,752 control, 1,473 obese, and 877 morbidly obese patients. Obesity and morbid obesity had a statistically significant association with gestational hypertension (odds ratios [ORs] 2.5 and 3.2), preeclampsia (ORs 1.6 and 3.3), gestational diabetes (ORs 2.6 and 4.0), and fetal birth weight greater than 4000 g (ORs 1.7 and 1.9) and greater than 4500 g (ORs 2.0 and 2.4). For nulliparous patients, the cesarean delivery rate was 20.7% for the control group, 33.8% for obese, and 47.4% for morbidly obese patients.

michael94

Much evidence based practice is not implemented within maternal health care. There are many studies showing that birthing at home or at a birth center is the best option for low risk healthy moms, but most people in the US don't even know midwives exist and think home birth is for crunchy hippies/crazies.

All babies regardless if born vaginally or by caesarean will receive erythromycin eye drops as prophylaxis against a potential eye infection caused by bacteria picked up when descending through the birth canal which could potentially lead to blindness. Since c section babies never descend down the birth canal, erythromycin drops are useless and serve no purpose however every single baby is given these eye drops at every hospital and most birth centers "because...science?"

There are many other examples of this. If a baby comes out screaming it has an apgar of 9 and suctioning it's nose/mouth is completely unnecessary and may be even more harmful than beneficial. However many hospitals do vigorous and invasive suctioning despite research showing that allowing them to clear their nose and mouths by breathing is much
preferred.
Pitocin is another issue...many mothers are induced with pitocin which mimics uterine contractions caused by oxytocin but has none of the psychological effects as it is synthetic and not released by the pituitary gland. Michel Odent has written on the link between pitocin inductions and autism. Yet almost every single mom I've witnessed on Labor and Delivery will receive a pitocin induction unless she comes in fully dilated and the babies head is basically poking out. Despite research on "normal" gestation periods Obs and some medwives will induce moms just because they think they can't go past a certain date. Scandinavian countries have something like a 10% caesarean rate whereas urban hospitals in the US have as high a rate as 50%. The nurses were joking about July 3 being a popular birthday because all the doctors wanted their deliveries done so they could get to their vacation destination. Some doctors won't deliver your baby if you don't go into labor Mon-Fri, 9-5. There is tons of evidence about the effectiveness of hydrotherapy and acupuncture throughout labor but it violates JACO (hospital inspectors) standards and increases liability for insurance companies so good luck finding a hospital with a hot tub in its birthing rooms.

I sometimes think that whoever started the field of gynecology hated women and sure enough the first American gyno was a slave owner who tortured his female slaves with medical experiments to develop his practice.

The medicalization of birth is actually anti science in many ways, but in true Orwellian fashion presents itself as otherwise.

Have you heard of this seraphim or janelle?
Lotus Birth:Newborn Kept Attached To Chord And Placenta For 6 Days

burtlancast

I believe Ray's primal motivation is JUSTICE.

When you see people in your family/around you dropping sick/dead like flies, due to lies in scientific and medical texts, it doesn't exactly makes for peace of mind.

theLaw

Ray is actively getting older......................so that he can then get younger through regeneration....................thereby proving his theories.:cool:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals