What Is Ray Peat's Goal?

lampofred

Many people are motivated by making money, but he makes almost nothing from his work and doesn't seem to care about monetizing his findings/starting a bona-fide business.

Many people are motivated by successfully raising a family, but I've never heard him mention anything about a wife or kids.

Many people are motivated by finding God, but he doesn't seem to be a fan of organized religion (although I don't know whether he believes in God in general).

Many people are motivated by just pursuing happiness, but I don't think someone who cared only about happiness would experiment on himself to eat nothing but wheat germ for months until his teeth fell out.

Is his goal to unlock the secret of immortality? That seems to be the only plausible one for me. Why does he do what he does? This man was once hunted by the CIA, so I highly doubt he's just lounging around with no purpose. What does he even do all day?

Sunny Jack

I think he has just pursued his intellectual curiosity and dedicated his life to it. He clearly derives a lot of pleasure from getting continually closer to the truth regarding aspects of health and nutrition.

If you look at the kind of intellectual tradition that Peat has aligned himself with - the On The Back of a Tiger people - there is an emphasis on experience as being an important part of life, so I guess that the experiences of researching, continually learning, of helping others for free, and also of painting - these things are what drive him. He doubtless appreciates money and did in fact charge for more in-depth consultations, but he finds greater meaning in helping ordinary people and not marketing his services aggressively. Regarding the political and educational things he did in the past, Peat is clearly motivated by a sense of morality.

johnwester130

He apparently used to take a lot of LSD, which makes you empathic and more aware of others feelings.

Maybe he really wants to help people

Acarpous

"
7. What impact would you like to see your research make on society? Reaching the largest amount of people? or a certain type of person? Or are you completely detached from the outcome?

I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine. The same general outcomes Ivan Illich worked for.
"

from Ray Peat Interviews Revisited | Vision and Acceptance

Sunny Jack

Many people are motivated by successfully raising a family, but I've never heard him mention anything about a wife or kids.

Actually, in an interview he did with Danny Roddy last December, Ray does imply that he lives with somebody, or at least share meals with them, saying - "once every week or two we'll have a big bowl of mushroom soup..." and "...we must eat eight ounces, each, in the soup days...".

So that could, in fact, be a motivation for him.

theLaw

"
7. What impact would you like to see your research make on society? Reaching the largest amount of people? or a certain type of person? Or are you completely detached from the outcome?

I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine. The same general outcomes Ivan Illich worked for.
"

So Peat mentioned months ago on the Herb Doctors show that he had digitized all of his books, but that the size made it difficult to sell as an ebook, which doesn't make any sense given the vast digital marketplace today.

You would think that if his goal was to get this info out there that making his primary texts available digitally would be a priority.

Something doesn't add up here........:confused:

Acarpous

So Peat mentioned months ago on the Herb Doctors show that he had digitized all of his books, but that the size made it difficult to sell as an ebook, which doesn't make any sense given the vast digital marketplace today.

You would think that if his goal was to get this info out there that making his primary texts available digitally would be a priority.

Something doesn't add up here........:confused:

Yeah, I'm not sure, that's just the most relevant quotation that I am immediately aware of. Also, all of his books are already on LibGen, so anyone who is interested in his work and is tech savvy enough to purchase an ebook should already have easy access.

tankasnowgod

Many people are motivated by making money, but he makes almost nothing from his work and doesn't seem to care about monetizing his findings/starting a bona-fide business.

Many people are motivated by finding God, but he doesn't seem to be a fan of organized religion (although I don't know whether he believes in God in general).

Many people are motivated by just pursuing happiness, but I don't think someone who cared only about happiness would experiment on himself to eat nothing but wheat germ for months until his teeth fell out.

Is his goal to unlock the secret of immortality? That seems to be the only plausible one for me. Why does he do what he does? This man was once hunted by the CIA, so I highly doubt he's just lounging around with no purpose. What does he even do all day?

Um, the man is 80. I'd suggest that the majority of his life's work is accomplished.

We have no idea how much money he made. My guess is that he made enough.

We have no idea what his family situation is. Maybe, like most people, he keeps that private.

Organized religions do NOT have a monopoly on spirituality, or God (or Gods) if that is a path you are seeking.

As far as happiness..... that varies so much from person to person. If discovering something makes you happy, you very well might do the wheat germ experiment, if no one had before. I always associate humor with happiness, and Ray Peat definitely has a sense of humor.

Quest for immortality? I guess it's possible.

However, I'd suggest maybe he just likes helping other people, and engaging his mind. If you can do those two things, and live a pretty comfortable life, seriously, what more do you really need?

Then again, if you really wanna know, you should ask the man himself.

jaakkima

Actually, in an interview he did with Danny Roddy last December, Ray does imply that he lives with somebody, or at least share meals with them, saying - "once every week or two we'll have a big bowl of mushroom soup..." and "...we must eat eight ounces, each, in the soup days...".

Yeah I think he says "we" referring to things going on in his household here and there in interviews so I assumed maybe he has a wife and/or other family but he's a private guy and why should he talk about it?

For OP, I do think he is one of the real knowledge/understanding seekers out there, and I understand that motivation.

He did patent his progesterone solution called Protest-E and a company called Kenogen sells it so he might get kickback but he's not motivated by money because he drives an old car as seen in the OTBOAT clip and the fact of where he lives. If he wanted to ball he wouldn't live in OR. He doesn't care about money other than to pay his bills like food and property taxes and he probably gets social security. The guy doesn't use house heat in the winter, just brooder lamps, at least he said that once. It might be hard to use enough lightbulbs for that for the whole winter.

I Can't Find Ray's Patent On His 10% Solution Progest-E Complex

Untitled1.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg says

He also said in another interview he had had pet hamsters to avert loneliness, so he might be referring to them.

We all know you must have evil ulterior motives if you are a seemingly decent person.

chispas

"

"

You know, I read that book by illych. Although I agree with a lot of it, I have to admit, the treatment that the medical establishment gives to women in childbirth is worth preserving.

My partner was extremely healthy, deemed low-risk, no problems for healthy delivery. Last minute, and 7.5 litres of blood later, my partner and child could have both been killed if it wasn't for medical professionals who were able to save their lives.

I'm not a friend of medicine at all, but Illych is a lazy critic.

You know, I read that book by illych. Although I agree with a lot of it, I have to admit, the treatment that the medical establishment gives to women in childbirth is worth preserving.

My partner was extremely healthy, deemed low-risk, no problems for healthy delivery. Last minute, and 7.5 litres of blood later, my partner and child could have both been killed if it wasn't for medical professionals who were able to save their lives.

I'm not a friend of medicine at all, but Illych is a lazy critic.

Western medicine does emergency medicine very well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals