What are the good options for STORE BOUGHT bone broth (US)?

Jennifer

I personally can’t use the chicken feet. They float to the top with their nails pointing upwards, looking like a witches cauldron. It looked murderous! I can’t stomach another round of it.
LOL I feel that way about bone broth, in general. I used to make it out on my back deck because I couldn’t stomach the smell, but boy was it good for my intestines, skin and nails. Maybe not ideal for those with histamine intolerance because of the long cooking time, but the Butcher’s bone broth I posted is thick like jello and worked really well for me when I was healing chronic gastritis. It has also been helping with my dad’s indigestion and my mum’s digestion when she was alive.

LOL I feel that way about bone broth, in general. I used to make it out on my back deck because I couldn’t stomach the smell, but boy was it good for my intestines, skin and nails. Maybe not ideal for those with histamine intolerance because of the long cooking time, but the Butcher’s bone broth I posted is thick like jello and worked really well for me when I was healing chronic gastritis. It has also been helping with my dad’s indigestion and my mum’s digestion when she was alive.
I know what you mean Jennifer, about the smell. My family loved it when I would make pulled pork, but I had to put the crock pot outside because I cannot stand the smell.

Jennifer

I know what you mean Jennifer, about the smell. My family loved it when I would make pulled pork, but I had to put the crock pot outside because I cannot stand the smell.

Oh, that’s too funny. I haven’t made pulled pork in a long time, but I can’t recall the smell ever bothering me, however, I grew up on French Canadian, Chinese and Polynesian cuisine so maybe I’m just used to the pork smell. lol

Oh, that’s too funny. I haven’t made pulled pork in a long time, but I can’t recall the smell ever bothering me, however, I grew up on French Canadian, Chinese and Polynesian cuisine so maybe I’m just used to the pork smell. lol
I love all that too, I think it more how differently we smell it. I can’t stand the smell of raw silk, as it smells like old fish to me. I walk into a department store and the place smells like fish and nobody else smells it, but me. It turns out only like 10% of the population can smell raw silk. I think it is the same with the pork….

“When I give talks, I always say that everybody in this room smells the world with a different set of receptors, and therefore it smells different to everybody," says Andreas Keller, a geneticist working at the Rockefeller University in New York City. He also suspects that every individual has at least one odorant he or she cannot detect at all – one specific anosmia, or olfactory "blind spot", which is inherited along with his or her olfactory apparatus.

The human nose contains roughly 400 olfactory receptors, each of which responds to several odorants, and each of which is encoded by a different gene. But, says Boris Schilling, a biochemist working for Givaudan, the world's largest flavour and fragrance company, based in Geneva, Switzerland, "unless you are dealing with identical twins, no two persons will have the same genetic make-up for those receptors."”

Jennifer

I love all that too, I think it more how differently we smell it. I can’t stand the smell of raw silk, as it smells like old fish to me. I walk into a department store and the place smells like fish and nobody else smells it, but me. It turns out only like 10% of the population can smell raw silk. I think it is the same with the pork….

“When I give talks, I always say that everybody in this room smells the world with a different set of receptors, and therefore it smells different to everybody," says Andreas Keller, a geneticist working at the Rockefeller University in New York City. He also suspects that every individual has at least one odorant he or she cannot detect at all – one specific anosmia, or olfactory "blind spot", which is inherited along with his or her olfactory apparatus.

The human nose contains roughly 400 olfactory receptors, each of which responds to several odorants, and each of which is encoded by a different gene. But, says Boris Schilling, a biochemist working for Givaudan, the world's largest flavour and fragrance company, based in Geneva, Switzerland, "unless you are dealing with identical twins, no two persons will have the same genetic make-up for those receptors."”

How interesting. I wish I had some silk to sniff test. I was going to buy a wool area rug with silk in it because it’s supposed to be really soft under foot, but I’ll have to rethink that one. Do you smell fish in other things? I smell fish in things that others don’t and find the smell of most seafood too intense.

How interesting. I wish I had some silk to sniff test. I was going to buy a wool area rug with silk in it because it’s supposed to be really soft under foot, but I’ll have to rethink that one. Do you smell fish in other things? I smell fish in things that others don’t and find the smell of most seafood too intense.
I only smell that fishy smell in raw silk. I don’t even smell a fishy smell like that in fish.

“The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) and Clean Label Project (CLP) released a report revealing some of the most popular collagen peptide products contain measurable amounts of heavy metals. Animals in factory farms are exposed to heavy metals via animal feed grown with pesticides and fertilizers and water contamination. Thus, the ingredients they are exposed to are transferred to the collagen and raise the levels of heavy metals.

Using Environmental Protection Agency Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (EPA 6020A, 3015) at 8 parts per billion, they discovered the following from 28 brands that were evaluated:

64% tested positive for measurable levels of arsenic

37% tested positive for measurable levels of lead

34% tested positive for trace levels of mercury

17% tested positive for measurable levels of cadmium

We made sure to include the results from this report in our overall findings below on collagen protein powders & best collagen supplements, but note that Ancient Nutrition, Bulletproof, Orgain & Preferred Elements had levels of lead above what the State of California recommends as safe. Ancient Nutrition, Correxiko, Orgain, Organixx, Reserveage Nutrition, & Vital Proteins had trace amounts of mercury. Bulletproof tested high for Cadmium.

These brands could be using animal sourcing from a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO), where animals are in cramped conditions. This makes them more likely to get sick, which later increases the need for more antibiotics. These cramped situations are also known as “factory farms” when discussed. Experts say that the increase of antibiotic use in animals is linked to a rise in antibiotic-resistant bacteria which is infecting millions of Americans every year. Brands that did not respond to our inquiries on social media about lead levels also went here.

Ancient Nutrition

Multi-Collagen Peptides: tested for trace levels of mercury

Beachbody Collagen Peptides

BioSil Advanced Collagen Generator

Bulletproof Collagen Protein Chocolate: Has levels of lead and cadmium above what the State of California says is safe.

Correxiko Marine Collagen, Unflavored: has tested for trace amounts of mercury

Isopure Unflavored Collagen Peptides

Orgain Grassfed Pasture Raised Collagen

Peptides: This brand tested for lead amounts above what the State of California says is safe. And also had trace amounts of mercury via labs mentioned.

Organixx Collagen: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury via labs

Picnik Collagen Creamer

Perfect Keto Collagen Peptides

Modere Collagen Peptides

Reserveage Nutrition Collagen Replenish Powder: Tested for trace amounts of mercury

Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides: This brand tested for trace amounts of mercury. After analyzing the California Attorney General’s office we noticed that Vital Proteins has numerous 60-day notices from consumer & consumer groups to the Attorney General. These notices are a precursor to a lawsuit.

Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin Powder

Youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula Tablets: has between 0.5 ug/day and 15 ug/day of lead per their prop. 65 warning (lower lead warning)”

Jennifer

I only smell that fishy smell in raw silk. I don’t even smell a fishy smell like that in fish.

Huh, do you smell any fishy smell in fish or just not the kind of fishy smell you smell in raw silk? That was a tongue twister. 😂

Huh, do you smell any fishy smell in fish or just not the kind of fishy smell you smell in raw silk? That was a tongue twister. 😂
I smell a fishy smell in fish if it isn’t fresh, but it is not as bad as how I smell raw silk. If someone were wearing raw silk, it would smell up the whole room and I could find the exact shirt that is emitting the smell. I only smell it in raw silk. A friend said that he can smell it too, and said that only 10% of the population can pick up on that smell (lucky me). It smells like the bottom of a disgusting worm cage…

“Sometimes, silk smells so terrible as to be unwearable. My nose forcibly reminded me of this recently when shopping for materials from which to knit a present for a friend who is--sadly but truly--allergic to wool.

Silk's terrible smell problem evidently comes from a gum left in the raw fiber as you can read here. In my experience, that silky - fishy smell never comes out, regardless of what you may try; not drycleaning, not sprinkling with baking soda, not detergent, not airing outside for days on end.”

“Silk, as a natural product, has a unique odor which comes from sericin, the protein "glue" silkworms use to bind together the silk threads into their cocoons. The more refined silk is, the less sericin remains on the silk, but even the most refined silk still has approximately 10%-15% sericin in them.”

Jennifer

I smell a fishy smell in fish if it isn’t fresh, but it is not as bad as how I smell raw silk. If someone were wearing raw silk, it would smell up the whole room and I could find the exact shirt that is emitting the smell. I only smell it in raw silk. A friend said that he can smell it too, and said that only 10% of the population can pick up on that smell (lucky me). It smells like the bottom of a disgusting worm cage…

“Sometimes, silk smells so terrible as to be unwearable. My nose forcibly reminded me of this recently when shopping for materials from which to knit a present for a friend who is--sadly but truly--allergic to wool.

Silk's terrible smell problem evidently comes from a gum left in the raw fiber as you can read here. In my experience, that silky - fishy smell never comes out, regardless of what you may try; not drycleaning, not sprinkling with baking soda, not detergent, not airing outside for days on end.”

“Silk, as a natural product, has a unique odor which comes from sericin, the protein "glue" silkworms use to bind together the silk threads into their cocoons. The more refined silk is, the less sericin remains on the silk, but even the most refined silk still has approximately 10%-15% sericin in them.”

Eww…I don’t think I’ll be buying that silk rug. 🤢

Jennifer

Ha! Ha! Ha! Yeah you might not smell it, but one out of ten people coming over might have a bad impression!

Haha! Exactly, and I no longer have a dog to blame weird smells on. 😂

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals