WHAT do I ask my BUTCHER if I need the most gelatinous cuts of meat?

JamesGatz

The gelatin powder I've been using for the past two years changed their formula recently because their new bottle makes me SICK

I want to EXPERIMENT - I've seen people on here getting GELATINOUS cuts of meat from the butcher (Example: Lamb Shanks)

But I REALLY DON'T KNOW what to specifically ask for if I need the most gelatinous cuts of meat

Can someone help me out here with a LIST of different examples of cuts of meat I can ask my butcher for that are gelatinous? THANK YOU

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Thank you guys 🙏🙏🙏

Im going to see if I could try 3 of these options tonight, hopefully it gets the job done because If not I got to make my own broth which is a lot more work

PeatBull

I accidentaly found out that the cheek piece (dont know how that cut is named) is very very gelatinous. You can oven then for a couple of hours in some broth and then make tacos, its my star recipe.

-Luke-

Shoulder too, no?

Cheeks are amazing if cooked right.

yerrag

Go to Chinatown and buy beef tendons or pork tendons or chicken feet or the head of grouper (fish)

AlaskaJono

For bone broth I ask for Joint bones, cut up into 3rds, to get the knee capsule, etc. . Also has the marrow. Also neck bones are good to add if I don't have enough.
OX tail also excellent, as mentioned.
Cheeks are fantastic, slow cooked for 4 -6 hours. MMMMMmmmmmmm.

Nfinkelstein

These suggestions are mostly good BUT --- oxtail is often hard to come by, as are beef cheeks, as they represent such a small part of a cow. The absolute winner for collagen (gelatin is just collagen once cooked) is SKIN, i.e. pork skin, which is cheap and you'll find it at any meat shop frequented by Mexicans. You can then make your own pork rinds and you will love them if you do it right, it's not that hard. If you're jewish or muslim I guess this won't work, but otherwise, enjoy.

Sapien

My favorite way to enjoy collagenous cuts of meat is pot roast

Chuck roast or rump roast is a very collagenous cut that requires a long cook time (low and slow) to tenderize due to its high collagen content

Preparing a roast in a crock pot with (homemade) bone broth (peat says to cook for less than 3 hours due to histamine concerns) and potato’s (the long cook time will convert the starch to dextrose, thus why peat recommends “well cooked” potato’s) is a very delicious and collagen rich meal (as well as containing keto acids/ carbs/ nutrients from potato’s).
Sourdough bread on the side is optional

It is also very cost effective, sometimes on sale for as cheap as $3 a pound in my area (usually around $5 a pound). Much cheaper than the ox tail soup that ray reccomended

Last edited:

yerrag

These suggestions are mostly good BUT --- oxtail is often hard to come by, as are beef cheeks, as they represent such a small part of a cow. The absolute winner for collagen (gelatin is just collagen once cooked) is SKIN, i.e. pork skin, which is cheap and you'll find it at any meat shop frequented by Mexicans. You can then make your own pork rinds and you will love them if you do it right, it's not that hard. If you're jewish or muslim I guess this won't work, but otherwise, enjoy.
Skin is full of endotoxins, as this was a topic of a thread in the past.

Nfinkelstein

Skin is full of endotoxins, as this was a topic of a thread in the past.
This statement needs to be backed up with at least a link. The other problem with a generalization like you make is that pork (specifically) will vary substantially in quality between outdoor raised on pasture versus conventional barn-pig.

yerrag

This statement needs to be backed up with at least a link. The other problem with a generalization like you make is that pork (specifically) will vary substantially in quality between outdoor raised on pasture versus conventional barn-pig.
You can search for a thread that talks to it. I would do he search and post the link for you, but you can also do that.

Ane

Necks, feets, cheeks, shanks, tails, skins. For broth, feets are a good cheap option.

Fish skins are very gelatinous too, also their "cheeks", but I think they are not eaten outside Basque Country or near. Octopuses and squids are very gelatin rich.

Ane

I forgot: tripes. But as for fish cheeks, I don't think they are eaten worldwide

EustaceBagge

If you buy meat that is attached to bone, wouldn't that make the meat rich in collagen? That is what we usually do, buy meat with the bone so you can make broth out of the bone as well as getting somewhat collagen rich meat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals