Glycine As A Temporary Alternative To Gelatin, Since No Good Brands Are Available?

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

You have traditional dish called mocoto or mocotó.

Dude, I completely forgot about that. Brazil actually has some pretty glycine rich dishes if you stop and think about it. Mocoto, dobradinha, buchada, etc I have to try rabada as well, but rabo de boi is too expensive to consume consistently. I don't know if you need it, but I eat a lot of borboleta da pá. I don't know if you can find it. It theoretically isn't a fatty cut, but when I cook it in the pressure cooker with some potatoes, the broth is SOOO Gelatinous I doubt it doesn't have a considerable amount of gelatin. It doesn't compare to bone or chicken feet broth, but it's still pretty good, and you don't discard anything since you eat the meat.

Nice to see a Brazilian here, finally someone who understands the struggle. Você mora no interior? Estou pensando em me mudar para ter acesso a comida mais fresca, mas não sei se seria o caso ou se estou me iludindo. Anyway, I experimented with chicken feet and had a much richer broth, more firm. But I have seen studies showing cartilage and bones have a lot of toxic metals, and since here in Brazil we don't have contact with farmers in the city or adequate information about the cattle, I prefer to use Gelatin from "beef broth" rather than bone broth.

I will be trying mocoto, thanks!

Nice to see a Brazilian here, finally someone who understands the struggle. Você mora no interior?

I'm a gringo. I live in a small town in Nordeste. Interior, sim. It's super easy to get beef or lamb or chicken directly from a farmer. Raw milk every morning 2rs per liter. There are many farmer families around. You can even rent a fazenda for 300-500 RS some 5-10 hectares big and farm all your food yourself.

É ainda criação de boi, de bode, de galinha, de tilápia dar dinheiro aqui sim. Coisa é assim o povo local é muito preguiçoso. Aqui você faz qualquer coisa é dar dinheiro.

Aqui ainda muitas coisas são de Pernambuco. Tipo goiaba, abacaxi, batata, uva e etc. Agrotóxicos? Sim mas criação de orgânicos e muito na moda agora, nas próximas 3-5 anos vai ter todo orgânico. Ja tem ferinhas familiar de agricultura organica, dar pra comprar verdura eeumas frutas organicos. Já pode achar galinha, ovo, carne organicos facilmente.

Last edited:
I'm currently using this gelatin: Gelatina em pó pura 1 kg - Gelvita

I'm in Brazil too. Usar mocotó em vez de gelatina em pó é uma boa ideia, mas eu não sei quanta gelatina eu ingeriria, dada certa quantidade de mocotó, então não sei quanto eu teria que tomar. E também eu gosto de hidratar a gelatina com suco de fruta, o que não daria pra fazer com mocotó. Mas nada impede a pessoa de consumir tanto mocotó quanto gelatina em pó.

Eu comprei glicina e usei por alguns dias, mas acho que tava me dando insonia. Mas fora isso, me senti bem.

L

Lord Cola

I haven't used glycine but I've used both the gelatin and collagen hydrolysate from Great Lakes. Lately, I no longer am able to get them from the US cheaply as the cost of shipping has increased (due to change in personal circumstances) and I had to find it from food. I guess I'm not missing out much if what milk_lover says is the case.

It's certainly more work to get glycine/gelatin from food sources. Since I do my own food shopping, It's not that much extra work for me. Cooking it would be harder, but it's easier that I get some help with cooking. One thing that's easy to prepare is pork tendons. I can buy a kilo of it for about $4, and I have it steamed for 4-6 hours, and with water added, it gives a pork jello that I can eat for appetizers, with some sauce (Google pork tendon appetizer, Chinese). I pour the jello into a tray and let it cool. Once cooled, I put in ref. Once cold, I take out the contents from the mold. It's one piece of jello. I make it into slices and eat it for appetizer.

Pork tendons are great. I stay away from beef hide as they have endotoxins. It also tastes hideous. But since you're from Brazil, beef tendons would be plentfiful.

Lastly, I don't trust powdered gelatin even from Great Lakes. It's hard to keep a product free from glyphosate when there's great demand. Eventually standards would have to be watered down. Not saying pork is free from glyphosate though. It's hard to escape from glyphosate given how Monsanto had government agencies all under their payola.
Do you notice any difference between powdered gelatin and gelatin that you made for yourself?

yerrag

Do you notice any difference between powdered gelatin and gelatin that you made for yourself?
They look similar, especially the gelatin I made from beef tendon. Pretty clear.

Mossy

Kingpinguin

Hi guys, first "official" post here.

I'm an 18 year old Brazilian, so keep in mind supplements you recommend me are usually outside of my budget, since I have to convert from my currency to dollars (currently I'll spend four times as much).

Therefore, I'm trying to figure out what to look for in supplements where I'm from, since I'm probably a Ray Peat Pioneer around here.

Ex: No additives, no silica dioxide, no oils, etc

One major issue is that a major supplement I need is Gelatin, as I consume lots of meat, but there is no brand around here testing for heavy metals. I've found studies showing 22x the recommended dose of Chromium in commercial gelatin, and no collagen brands have any tests.

I know Gelatine has many aspects besides glycine, but being that it's the predominant aminoacids in gelatin, can I temporarily do with glycine supplements alone? Its the cheapest and easiest to find around here, and some studies have shown it has an effect on heavy metal detox, specially lead (which interestingly is the predominant risk in bone broth)

This is temporary, as I also can't source good bones to do bone broth for now. I occasionally do beef and chicken broth when I stew either of them, but I can't really trust the bones.

Also, my main issue isn't methionine or Cysteine, but Tryptophan (symptoms of high serotonin), so I'm not so sure glycine is the way to go. Any aminoacids that balances out Tryptophan? I heard it's more about ratios than amounts.

there’s beef protein powder now a days. Dunno how they compare but how they make it is from the rest products off slaughter. So basically all parts that are not muscle meats. The proline, glycine etc content is high. Think it could be a good way of getting those aminos. I’m using it myself atm. I like it. A lot of other people on the web like it aswell. Saying stuff like it’s easier on the stomach. Afaik theres no additives but I don’t know about heavy metals. Would be interesting to find out. Studies of people using this protein instead of whey protein for workouts has shown more muscle gains compared to the classical whey. And also more drop in body fat.

managing

there’s beef protein powder now a days. Dunno how they compare but how they make it is from the rest products off slaughter. So basically all parts that are not muscle meats. The proline, glycine etc content is high. Think it could be a good way of getting those aminos. I’m using it myself atm. I like it. A lot of other people on the web like it aswell. Saying stuff like it’s easier on the stomach. Afaik theres no additives but I don’t know about heavy metals. Would be interesting to find out. Studies of people using this protein instead of whey protein for workouts has shown more muscle gains compared to the classical whey. And also more drop in body fat.
Interesting. Can you link us to the product you are using?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals