OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Are there advantages to consuming stearyl alcohol over stearic acid? I am curious in experimenting with supplementation but not sure which powder would be better... it looks like the stearic acid powder has been made through a hydrogenation which concerns me it may have contaminants.

The alcohol is cheaper and probably get be obtained with higher purity for lower price. It is metabolized into stearic acid so there is not much difference metabolically.

The alcohol is cheaper and probably get be obtained with higher purity for lower price. It is metabolized into stearic acid so there is not much difference metabolically.

Thank you! I think you mentioned that over 5 grams in one go was uncomfortable for you, how frequently would you say it can be dosed without causing discomfort? Are there any specific cofactors that should be around to assist with its metabolism? How is it metabolized?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you! I think you mentioned that over 5 grams in one go was uncomfortable for you, how frequently would you say it can be dosed without causing discomfort? Are there any specific cofactors that should be around to assist with its metabolism? How is it metabolized?

As I said, it is metabolized the same way as stearic acid so it does not really need any cofactors. I think I said it raised temps reliably not that it was somehow unpleasantly uncomfortable.

Waynish

IIRC Ray had said something about higher doses of LSD or mushrooms being stressful through depleting brain glycogen.

Maybe that intensity of energy use has some therapeutic effects - aside from the effects on the neurotransmitter systems.

I don't buy the "full trip is depleting because it is just too much." If LSD is depleting something very noticeably at 100micrograms, then that says something about the drug - since its effective doses are already way below almost anything else (except maybe thyroid hormones?). People raise the metabolism a lot on LSD and then don't eat, however. Perhaps less food is required, but certainly not none, I think.

As I said, it is metabolized the same way as stearic acid so it does not really need any cofactors. I think I said it raised temps reliably not that it was somehow unpleasantly uncomfortable.

I see. It was not clear that you meant they are virtually the same once ingested. Thanks.

When I take anything more than 5g octadecanol I get the high temp, pulse and sweating. More than 10g starts to become uncomfortable. Not sure how much converts into stearic acid but I suspect most of it does as that is how this fatty acid alcohol is metabolized.

Hugh Johnson

I use hydrogenated coconut oil for skincare. For most people that would provide a helpful amount of stearic acid, since it is easy and cheap so it's easy to maintain permanently.

cdg

I use hydrogenated coconut oil for skincare. For most people that would provide a helpful amount of stearic acid, since it is easy and cheap so it's easy to maintain permanently.

Where do you get hydrogenated coconut oil? Thanks

yerrag

The grocery store.

I'm assuming hydrogenated coconut oil meant fully hydrogenated coconut oil. The coconut oil I find in supermarkets and groceries is usually the refined coconut oil, which is liquid at room temperature. If it's not solid, it is fully hydrogenated.

SB4

Does anyone know what happens to stearyl alcohol after being absorbed? I assume stearic acid, when eaten with carbs, would be put away into fat cells via insulin. Would stearyl alcohol be metabolised differently, say, going to the liver first to be converted to stearic acid and then made into acetyl CoA in the liver perhaps.

I have tried searching myself but I am no good. I am wondering how it being an alcohol changes things. Maybe it needs to use alcohol dehydrogenase?

D

Deleted member 5487

Everyone here should be painting themselves will tallow or cocoa butter

Last edited by a moderator:

Yggr

shouldnt the fatty acids in coconut oil also be elongated via topical application?

Michael Mohn

Everyone here should be painting themselves will tallow or cocoa butter
I did cocoa butter topically but then the deodorized cocoa butter was discontinued and I stopped the natural butter stinks too much. Was very calmling but nothing magical.

D

Deleted member 5487

shouldnt the fatty acids in coconut oil also be elongated via topical application?
CO is just a bunch of quick burning MCT and short chains.

Steraic and Palmatic acid are infinitly better,

D

Deleted member 5487

I did cocoa butter topically but then the deodorized cocoa butter was discontinued and I stopped the natural butter stinks too much. Was very calmling but nothing magical.

Very magical for me. I could have been in great need of steraic/palmatic

yerrag

Do you still think topical tallow or cocoa butter is worthwhile?
I personally think it's not very practical. air is messy. I would rather make it into a suppository, and use it that way. The oil absorbed thru the stomach does not go through the liver first pass, so it's available to circulate and perhaps have antibacterial effect.

LeeLemonoil

Here stearic acid was altere to hydroxystearate and then exhibited anti-inflammatory effects and pro skin health effects