Transdermal Delivery Of Saturated Fat Changes Systemic Fatty Acid Profile

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wanted to post this as it allows people who cannot tolerate coconut oil or other saturated fat orally to still inflluence their systemic SFA : PUFA balance. This study looked at the transdermal absorption of PUFA (safflower oil) and SFA (coconut oil) and found both to be rather well absorbed and able to influence the levels of various fatty acids in systemic circulation. As expected the safflower oil raises levels of "EFA" in the blood while coconut oil raises the SFA. In addition, safflower oil resulted in statistically significantly higher triglycerides compared to the control group, while coconut oil did not have such an effect (see attache image). The dose used to achieve these results was 5g oil applied 4 times daily for just 5 days. However, the subjects were newborn babies so the dose for adult is likely to be higher.
I think this approach can be used by people with significant fat deposits, especially in the midsection, so improve the SFA : PUFA balance and thus reduce the negative effects of PUFA lipolysis, while working on metabolism to reduce the excess fat accumulation.

Transcutaneous absorption of topically massaged oil in neonates. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Objective: To study the transcutaneous absorption of traditionally massaged oil in newborns and to specifically compare the effects of (i) essential fatty acid (EFA) rich - safflower oil and (ii) saturated fat rich coconut oil, on fatty acid profiles of massaged babies. Design: A short term randomised controlled study. Setting: Tertiary care NICU of a large teaching hospital and a research laboratory of a University complex. Methods: 120 study babies were randomly assigned to three oil groups (i) safflower oil (n = 40) (ii) coconut oil (n = 40) and (iii) no oil controls (n = 40). In each group, babies were selected in three subsets as per their gestational ages viz., (a) <34weeks, (b) 34-37 weeks, (c) > 37 weeks. 5 mL of the designated oil was massaged four times a day (6hrly) for five days under controlled conditions of temperature and feeding. Pre and post oil massage samples of blood were analysed for triglycerides and fatty acid profiles using gas chromatography. Results: Post oil triglyceride values were significantly raised in both the oil groups and also in controls. However, the quantum of rise was significantly higher in oil groups as compared to controls (p <0.05). Fatty acid profiles (gas chromatography) showed significant rise in EFAs (linolenic acid and arachidonic acid) in safflower oil group and saturated fats in coconut oil group (p <0.05). Changes were more evident in term babies. There were no side effects associated with the massage. Conclusion: This study shows that topically applied oil can be absorbed in neonates and is probably available for nutritional purposes. The fatty acid constituents of the oil can influence the changes in the fatty acid profiles of the massaged babies"

Attachments

• pufa_coconut_ffa_balance.png
    pufa_coconut_ffa_balance.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

milk_lover

Thanks haidut for the study. I will rub some coconut oil on my stomach right now :)

Pompadour

That's so interesting! Thank you very much for sharing! I used to make my own cremes and lotions with oils (and i like "not so Peat" aromatherapy)... I always thought that skin was actually "eating" this preparations, but i'd never seen any publication proving it so directly :)

aguilaroja

... This study looked at the transdermal absorption of PUFA (safflower oil) and SFA (coconut oil) and found both to be rather well absorbed and able to influence the levels of various fatty acids in systemic circulation....safflower oil resulted in statistically significantly higher triglycerides compared to the control group, while coconut oil did not have such an effect (see attache image). The dose used to achieve these results was 5g oil applied 4 times daily for just 5 days. However, the subjects were newborn babies so the dose for adult is likely to be higher.
I think this approach can be used by people with significant fat deposits, especially in the midsection, so improve the SFA:pUFA balance and thus reduce the negative effects of PUFA lipolysis, while working on metabolism to reduce the excess fat accumulation.
Transcutaneous absorption of topically massaged oil in neonates. - PubMed - NCBI...

And, if coconut oil penetrates below the surfaces, it may protect brain cells from beta-amyloid [Aß] damage too! :^)

It is possible that mid-section absorption of coconut oil would additionally support neurons of the gut.

Coconut oil attenuates the effects of amyloid-β on cortical neurons in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI
“Approximately 2g of virgin coconut oil (CoOil, NutivaTM Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil; cold-pressed
and non-hydrogenated) was melted at 37◦C and a 1 : 1 emulsion in DMSO prepared…. The CoOil solutions and the vehicle control (0.1% DMSO in complete medium) were added to the cells at the time of Aß treatment and incubated for a further 24–48 h. Cells were then assessed for survival using MTT assays.”

“the presence of CoOil can ameliorate the toxic effects of Aß on the neurons. Neuron survival in cultures co-treated with CoOil and Aß is rescued compared to cultures exposed only to Aß . Aß treatment of neurons results in decreased mitochondrial size and increased circularity and CoOil co-treatment attenuates these changes as well.”

“in addition to ameliorating cell survival after Aß treatment, there was also a positive effect of CoOil on mitochondrial size.”

Coconut oil protects cortical neurons from amyloid beta toxicity by enhancing signaling of cell survival pathways. - PubMed - NCBI
“…coconut oil rescues cells pre-exposed to Aβ for 1 or 6 h, but is less effective when the pre-exposure has been 24 h. However, pretreatment with coconut oil prior to Aβ exposure showed the best outcomes.”
“Coconut oil pretreatment attenuates Aβ–induced neuritic changes”
“Coconut oil inhibits Aβ-induced increases in Cleaved caspase-3…a marker of apoptosis”
“Coconut oil blocks Aβ-induced changes in cell ROS [Cellular reactive oxygen species]”

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
in addition to ameliorating cell survival after Aß treatment, there was also a positive effect of CoOil on mitochondrial size

I especially like the effects on mitochondria above! So, maybe our MitoLipin should be rubbed on the midsection for optimal effects? :)
The combination of saturated PC, tocopherol and SFA should sure have even better effects? I think I posted some studied on topical saturated PC being used for weight loss in the midsection. Maybe the mechanism of action is this increase in mitochondrial size and possibly cardiolipin...

aguilaroja

I especially like the effects on mitochondria above! So, maybe our MitoLipin should be rubbed on the midsection for optimal effects? :)
The combination of saturated PC, tocopherol and SFA should sure have even better effects? I think I posted some studied on topical saturated PC being used for weight loss in the midsection. Maybe the mechanism of action is this increase in mitochondrial size and possibly cardiolipin...

Yes, the Nafar group’s early paper raised the mitochondrial issues more, and noted the research logistics in further assessing it. They were cognizant of the frontiers in mitochondrial function and its relation to Alzheimer’s disease.

“…there was also a positive effect of CoOil on mitochondrial size. Aß exposure resulted in smaller and more spherical mitochondria, which could be a reflection of fragmentation or an alteration in mitochondrial fusion-fission dynamics...
“On examination of our cultures, we noticed that there appeared to be more elongated mitochondria in astro- cytes although we did not quantify these differences due to the difficulty in visually isolating glial cells from the surrounding neuronal networks.”
“It is possible that the beneficial effect of the oil may be via the glial cells. MCTs are converted to ketones in the liver, but glial cells, in particular astrocytes, have also been reported to be able to metabolize MCTs to ketones that could be then shuttled to neurons for alternative energy"

I have not waded in very much to the mitochondria and obesity literature. It is already stocked with the previous confounding notions about vegetable oils, PUFA and metabolism. For instance, the 2015 Jorgensen study was done with a High Fat Diet consisting of 91% lard & 9% soybean oil.
One-year high fat diet affects muscle-but not brain mitochondria

As @haidut mentions, numerous beneficial combinations for mitochondrial health might help optimize the mid-section. Phosphatidylcholine is a very good candidate.
The critical role of phosphatidylcholine and phosphatidylethanolamine metabolism in health and disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

aguilaroja

Also, as a neutral business observer, maybe it is more lucrative for IdeaLabsDC to cast off interests in well-being, longevity, and cognitive expansiveness to focus on the major commerce target, superficial appearance :^P

A few glossy stories make for blockbuster sales. Weight Watchers has a market cap of $1.7B. IIRC, major early Prozac prescribing flurry was due to consumer weight loss (placebo and anorexic) rather than improved mood. Drug reps touted this “unofficially” in doctor’s offices. :^{

Of course, there’d have to be some product re-marketing. Estroban could become BellyBulgeBan, and Mitolipin could become DownSizin. :^)

tankasnowgod

Interesting. I've been thinking about this for a while, thinking about things that could make fat more saturated. I had been thinking about transdermal coconut oil, just haven't done it much myself.

I do have a friend who uses coconut oil for skin care. She mentioned that she never thought much about cooking with it.

Lucenzo01

Great finding, haidut. I feel way better taking the fat-solubles vitamins transdermally.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Also, as a neutral business observer, maybe it is more lucrative for IdeaLabsDC to cast off interests in well-being, longevity, and cognitive expansiveness to focus on the major commerce target, superficial appearance :^P

A few glossy stories make for blockbuster sales. Weight Watchers has a market cap of $1.7B. IIRC, major early Prozac prescribing flurry was due to consumer weight loss (placebo and anorexic) rather than improved mood. Drug reps touted this “unofficially” in doctor’s offices. :^{

Of course, there’d have to be some product re-marketing. Estroban could become BellyBulgeBan, and Mitolipin could become DownSizin. :^)

Lol, I would much rather be known for finding cool things that make people less dependent on large pharma companies :):
But you bring up a good point and I am sure other people reading this forum are probably capitalizing on it already. Like that guy and his blog where he sells copies of my supplements.

mhm

Thank you for that Haidut.

Believe it or not, I've been rubbing coconut oil on the midsection and it did look like it had an effect. However, I thought that I might be a victim of the placebo effect, or alternatively that I had lost some fat visually because the days are getting warmer.

What made me the most sure I was really losing fat in the midsection is that I use an indoor rebounder (Bellicon) which allows for pretty high jumps. I used to feel the floppiness in the midsection when I jumped hard, now it's gone.

I would have a question for you regarding a topic related to this study. I recently bought vegetable glycerin because I was looking for something that I could put on my skin and mix with other stuff, and read somewhere (perhaps here) that glycerin was good for the skin. I noticed the hot/burning feeling you get from putting glycerin on the skin, so I thought I'd alternate coconut oil with glycerin on the midsection.

Would you happen to know why the hot effect from glycerin, and would you care to guess whether glycerin application on the midsection might help?

Thanks

Waynish

Been doing it for nearly a decade once in a while due to the perceived effect. First time was accident, but realized it felt good.

tankasnowgod

Believe it or not, I've been rubbing coconut oil on the midsection and it did look like it had an effect. However, I thought that I might be a victim of the placebo effect, or alternatively that I had lost some fat visually because the days are getting warmer.

What made me the most sure I was really losing fat in the midsection is that I use an indoor rebounder (Bellicon) which allows for pretty high jumps. I used to feel the floppiness in the midsection when I jumped hard, now it's gone.

That's pretty cool. How long did it take you to notice the slimming effect? And how often did you apply coconut oil?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I would have a question for you regarding a topic related to this study. I recently bought vegetable glycerin because I was looking for something that I could put on my skin and mix with other stuff, and read somewhere (perhaps here) that glycerin was good for the skin. I noticed the hot/burning feeling you get from putting glycerin on the skin, so I thought I'd alternate coconut oil with glycerin on the midsection.

Would you happen to know why the hot effect from glycerin, and would you care to guess whether glycerin application on the midsection might help?

Thanks

Ray seems to be against using glycerin. He says most commercially available sources are contaminated and allergenic. So, the heat sensation could be a histamine reaction. If coconut oil absorbs on its own then there is no need for adding glycerin. The coconut oil already contains glycerin since the fatty acids in it are mostly in triglyceride form.

I missed this thread. I live in Thailand and have been applying coconut oil (with nothing added) as natural UV protection on my face, head/scalp arms and legs every day when I go on my long walk. I find that it's effective enough for my needs although I do wear a baseball cap too.

I haven't noticed any weight loss effects but it certainly seems to have been good for my skins appearance.

mhm

That's pretty cool. How long did it take you to notice the slimming effect? And how often did you apply coconut oil?
Well, I've perhaps been doing it more or less daily for about six months. After a couple of months it was funny because I constantly had to tighten the belt but at the same time I was getting heavier and heavier.

The same app on my phone (Tactio Health) now constantly sends me simultaneously two alerts. One is "you currently have an extremely low body fat percentage", the other to tell me I'm too heavy for my height (at about 90 kg for 190 cm).

I remember Ray Peat mentioning that depending on how much CO2 you're exposed to, you could get about 10 kg heavier in your bones just from CO2. And I do have the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks every couple of months at a relatively high altitude, so go figure...

Anyway, I feel that the current measures that most people use (either just the weight compared to the height, or the Body Mass Index and such) don't give you very much information about your state of health.

managing

How long do you have to wait after applying coconut oil to put on clothing?

milk_lover

How long do you have to wait after applying coconut oil to put on clothing?
I sometimes apply half a teaspoon of hydrogenated CO on my whole torso and stomach and I rub it real strong constantly for two minutes or so and it pretty much dries quickly and I put my clothes on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals