Alcohol only causes fatty liver when consumed with PUFA not with SFAs

Mauritio

In this study they authors studied how the intake of saturated and unsaturated fats affect the effect of alchohol on the body.

They looked at he usual things that alcohol consumption causes in the body (necrosis, fatty liver and inflammation), while also feeding the animals fish oil, corn oil, palm oil, or MCT Oil.
A nice choice since they included different kind of fatty acid compositions: high omega 3(PUFA), high omega 6 (PUFA), mixed PUFA/SFA and pure SFAs.

The following pattern emerged: the more saturated the fat they ate, the less damage occurred.
Or the more unsaturated, the more harmful it was.

The SFA-diet actually had normal livers and no pathologies, despite alcohol consumption.

The worst damage occurred with the fish oil diet followed by the corn oil and palm oil diet( but isn't fish oil supposed to be anti-inflammatory?!?!?!🙈).

The ethanol only caused a decrease in antioxidant enzymes (SOD, CATALASE and glutathione) when PUFA was eaten. Not when palm or MCT Oil was the diet.
Thyroid actually increases those enzymes (Thyroid hormone increases anti-oxidant enzymes, glucocorticoids lower them)

Logically and even worse, the PUFA-diets also showed higher signs of lipid peroxidation.

Look at the differences here. Quite remarkable. Also the a comparison between control and ethanol enhanced with each diet, showing SFA diet was almost immune to alcohol damage.
Screenshot_20230321-202007_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230321-202336_Drive.jpg

- Increased lipid peroxidation and impaired antioxidant enzyme function is associated with pathological liver injury in experimental alcoholic liver disease in rats fed diets high in corn oil and fish oil - PubMed

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Sure, that was more of an ironic comment towards the general public stance on that topic and certain health gurus reminding you to "take your fish oil" .
Ohhh gotcha! I am happy that my occasional good white tequila isn’t going to set me back much ☺️

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Ohhh gotcha! I am happy that my occasional good white tequila isn’t going to set me back much ☺️
Probably not . Peat said that small amounts of alcohol even act as an antioxidant, but that was more along the lines of a teaspoon .

Waynish

Find me one PUFA depleted person who can also drink all the vitamin E that they want that can drink half a bottle of vodka every other day and not have health problems... Just one example. "Studies" promote vaccines too.

youngsinatra

I don't think anyone encourages high alcohol consumption on this forum. I like this study because it demonstrates the protective nature of saturated fats on the liver as a whole.

Even if we don't drink alcohol, we are bombarded with many toxic things from our (food) environment, that our liver needs to handle and metabolize on a daily basis. So seeing that saturated fats prevents liver pathology (and improves liver function) even when challenged with technical poison (alcohol) is promising.