Coconut Oil + Vinegar Or OJ = Potent Antibiotic

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by haidut, Aug 17, 2014.

1. haidut

haidut Member

Ray has written on the merits of coconut oil in terms of bacterial inhibition. He also recommends coconut oi and vinegar as a carrier for carrot to reach the intestine. However, I don't think Ray has written on the combination of the oil and vinegar as a natural alternative to antibiotics. This study claims that that the fatty acids in coconut oil and some organic acids (i.e. citric, malic, acetic) have powerful synergistic effect against bacteria commonly found in the human digestive tract.
    The most powerful combination was caprylic acid and malic acid (apple juice), but virtually all combinations had bactericidal effects. It looks like there may be some scientific rationale behind the common naturopath prescription of olive oil and lemon juice for intestinal cleansing, even though it is coconut oil that has better fatty acid profile for that purpose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3811494/

"...The aim of this study was to examine the synergistic bactericidal effects of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs; caprylic, capric, and lauric acid) and organic acids (OAs; acetic, lactic, malic, and citric acid) against Escherichia coli O157:H7 and to identify their underlying mechanism(s) of action.Combined treatment resulted in an additional log-unit reduction compared with the sum of the reductions obtained after individual treatment. For example, caprylic acid (1.0 mM, or 0.016%) and citric acid (1.0 mM, or 0.012%) alone showed negligible bactericidal effects (0.30- and 0.06-log-unit reductions, respectively); however, a marked synergistic effect (>7.15-log-unit reduction) was observed when the two were combined. Although flow cytometry and microscopic analyses of bacteria treated with individual MCFAs and OAs showed evidence of membrane disruption, the bacteria were still able to form colonies; thus, the cell damage was recoverable. In contrast, cells exposed to combined treatments showed clear membrane disintegration and/or cell death (irreversible damage)."

So, coconut oil and orange juice (or vinegar) may be a viable alternative to antibiotics for treating SIBO.

2. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

That's interesting, I wonder if the craze for Kefir and the likes comes from some interplay of lactic acid and butyric acid.

3. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Or any yogurt for that matter right? All the non-strained, full fat yogurts should have a decent amount of both lactic acid and butyric acid (butter). So, the beneficial GI effects reported by many yogurt lovers could be due to a reduction rather than an increase in GI bacterial count due to the combo. Also, I saw a study that analyzed the presence of probiotic bacteria in a number of commercially sold yogurts and found that almost all of them had very low counts. The study reported this as a negative finding due to the fact that people would not be getting the "valuable" probiotics they are paying for, but I wonder if the bacteria died out due to the butyrate and lactic acid combo...

4. Such_Saturation

Such_Saturation Member

There's also something with this resistant starch that makes butyrate it seems; all substances somehow tied to bacteria.

5. keith

keith Member

Doesn't it say "The combination of CLA plus CTA showed the most marked bactericidal effect." (Caprylic + citric acid)? If I'm reading correctly caprylic + malic was second.

Any idea how these numbers might translate into amounts for human consumption? I'm guessing you can't really translate data from a petri dish to a human, but I know you are a lot better at reading and interpreting study results than I am, so figured I would ask.

6. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Yes, that is correct. I guess I misread it. To achieve 1mM concentrations, usually doses of 5g - 6g of the fatty acid in question is needed. Similar for citric acid, except that the range may be larger due to the less reliable bioavailability of water soluble chemicals like citric acid.

7. keith

keith Member

Interesting; according to this study Quantitative Assessment of Citric Acid in Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, and Commercially-Available Fruit Juice Products, looks like commercial orange juice (Tropicana Pue Premium) has about 16.9 grams of citric acid per liter (33.814 oz), so that is about 4 grams per 8oz cup. I have MCT oil that is supposedly 99.8% caprylic and capric, presumably at a ratio of 40% caprylic, 60% capric, so that should have about 5.5 grams caprylic and 8.3 grams capric per tablespoon. So a tablespoon (possibly less, since both MCT oils should have antibiotic effects) of that in 16 oz of commercial orabge juice could, theoretically work as well as an antibiotic, at least for some pathogens, maybe. Not sure what impact the extra water in the juice and extra capric acid may have. I'll have to experiment; very unscientifically, of course, since I have no way to truly measure any bacterial die off that would occur from drinking this.

8. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

[​IMG]

Is it just me or are Korean papers a lot more straightforward to read than western ones

9. Fractality

Fractality Member

Activated charcoal + ACV + MCT oil!

10. ecstatichamster

ecstatichamster Member

what is your experience with this? Do you take all 3 at once?

11. Fractality

Fractality Member

Not yet, today I took a tablespoon of AC in MCT oil and had several very loose bowel movements which felt cleansing. I made that post because sometime in the future I would like to try adding ACV as a synergistic ingredient.

12. Fractality

Fractality Member

I've been doing this intermittently (usually with ACV as a malic acid source). I also typically take a dose of methylated sat fats around the same time. It definitely produces what I'm guessing to be "dieoff" symptoms, and I've become tolerant to the amount of bowel movements it causes. The "dieoff" symptoms can be rough, but I feel like I come out better on the other side. If it is indeed cleansing my gut then I'm all for it, knowing what I know from RP. Any other people doing this?