Teres

I did read that the Stearic acid is soluble in DMSO (and not only). And since I have Stearic acid and some DMSO around, I did try to disolve it (small amounts of both). Nothing.
I began questioning the quality of the DMSO I have. And then I did read that the solubility of the Stearic acid in DMSO is ~10mg/ml. Either I am missing something, or a person would need to literally bathe in DMSO in order to reach the dosages of Stearic acid in grams, mentioned in several studies/threads. Needless to say, I hope I'm missing something.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I did read that the Stearic acid is soluble in DMSO (and not only). And since I have Stearic acid and some DMSO around, I did try to disolve it (small amounts of both). Nothing.
I began questioning the quality of the DMSO I have. And then I did read that the solubility of the Stearic acid in DMSO is ~10mg/ml. Either I am missing something, or a person would need to literally bathe in DMSO in order to reach the dosages of Stearic acid in grams, mentioned in several studies/threads. Needless to say, I hope I'm missing something.

You don't need DMSO to have stearic acid absorb through the skin. It just needs to be rubbed on it. Not sure how much is absorbed exactly but other studies with topical fat show about 20%-25% absorption. When you dissolved in DMSO you obviously will be limited by how much stearic acid it can dissolve. The study actually used injections of stearic acid into the skin, which has close to 100% bioavailability so with topical application you'd need around 5 times higher dose to approximate the study design.

aguilaroja

It seems likely that if subcutaneous injection delivered stearic acid that a transdermal vehicle also would. The Gozlan-Devillierre group had a later paper in English, noting even higher absorption at young ages.

Incorporation of stearic acid into brain lipids in the developing brain: blood-brain relationships during development. - PubMed - NCBI
“Subcutaneously injected [1-14C]-stearic acid is taken up by brain. Age-related changes in the metabolism of stearic acid have been determined in mouse brain from birth to maturity. Total lipid radioactivity reaches a maximum at 18 days of age and decreases afterwards until adulthood. However, specific radioactivity presents the highest value at 1 day of age and declines from then on. At any age, the injected acid is taken up and partly metabolized in the brain, either by elongation or by degradation in situ and resynthesis of new fatty acids; it is also desaturated, and the oleic acid thus formed is eventually elongated.”
“1 mCi [l-1JC]-stearic acid (51 mCi/mmol) was obtained from CEA (France) and neutralized with an equimolecular amount of NaOH (0.5 ml of a solution of 2 mg/ml of NaOH). Bovine albumin (0.5 ml, 0.5 \iM) in 0.5% NaCl was added and the mixture was stirred vigorously.
C5TB1/6J mice of both sexes were fed a standard diet of biscuits.… The amount of the injected stearic acid was determined by the body weight of the animal (10 uCi/g).”

Obi-wan

I heat up Cocoa butter and apply to the skin on the whole body in the morning and it absorbs nicely. I have to stay in my underwear as I will get hot for 10-20 minutes then get a nice feeling of energy and want to go to the gym. I do not get this with Cocoa powder and coffee.

Wagner83

@haidut Do you have any updates on the stearyl alcohol that you supplemented with (orally I think)? Do you still use it, how are the effects?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Do you have any updates on the stearyl alcohol that you supplemented with (orally I think)? Do you still use it, how are the effects?

Yes, I still use it but less often - maybe 3-4 times weekly. It still raises temps but not as much as before and now seems to work best when I take it after a commercial meal (that contains PUFA). It also seems to help with "flu" symptoms to prevent a full-blown viral episode and also to stop endotoxin symptoms when eating something nefarious that irritates the gut. For me at least, the stearyl alcohol is more pro-metabolic than MCT/coconut oil.
Btw, we now add it in Pansterone and StressNon and I will post some studies later this week explaining why. Hint - it is highly synergistic with androgens and potentiates their effects.

Wagner83

Yes, I still use it but less often - maybe 3-4 times weekly. It still raises temps but not as much as before and now seems to work best when I take it after a commercial meal (that contains PUFA). It also seems to help with "flu" symptoms to prevent a full-blown viral episode and also to stop endotoxin symptoms when eating something nefarious that irritates the gut. For me at least, the stearyl alcohol is more pro-metabolic than MCT/coconut oil.
Btw, we now add it in Pansterone and StressNon and I will post some studies later this week explaining why.

Hint - it is highly synergistic with androgens and potentiates their effects.
OK thanks, is that from oral use?

Teres

You don't need DMSO to have stearic acid absorb through the skin. It just needs to be rubbed on it. Not sure how much is absorbed exactly but other studies with topical fat show about 20%-25% absorption. When you dissolved in DMSO you obviously will be limited by how much stearic acid it can dissolve. The study actually used injections of stearic acid into the skin, which has close to 100% bioavailability so with topical application you'd need around 5 times higher dose to approximate the study design.

Yes, I did realise that quickly. The solubility in DMSO, as well as in the other most common solvents is very poor and limited, which I found out later on. And twenty-twenty five percent absorbtion just by rubing the Stearic acid on the skin sounds quite good. Have you tried that with any success? If yes, how did you manage to do it? I tried just rubbing the dry StAc flakes on my skin, and they got fragmented into smaller particles, which fell off at the very same moment. How one can absorb a gram, two or three, or more this way, I have no idea, at least according to my observations. Solidifying one single StAc piece in the form of a soap may be an option?

Aside the injection, which is the most effective way so far, effectivelly inhibiting the conversion of Stearic acid to Oleic acid via SCD-1 (mainly in liver) and SCD-5 (brain, and not only) inhibition, or possibly more routes if there are, is a ground worth to dig more into, since it would possibly allow more efficient oral administration.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes, I did realise that quickly. The solubility in DMSO, as well as in the other most common solvents is very poor and limited, which I found out later on. And twenty-twenty five percent absorbtion just by rubing the Stearic acid on the skin sounds quite good. Have you tried that with any success? If yes, how did you manage to do it? I tried just rubbing the dry StAc flakes on my skin, and they got fragmented into smaller particles, which fell off at the very same moment. How one can absorb a gram, two or three, or more this way, I have no idea, at least according to my observations. Solidifying one single StAc piece in the form of a soap may be an option?

Aside the injection, which is the most effective way so far, effectivelly inhibiting the conversion of Stearic acid to Oleic acid via SCD-1 (mainly in liver) and SCD-5 (brain, and not only) inhibition, or possibly more routes if there are, is a ground worth to dig more into, since it would possibly allow more efficient oral administration.

I am using stearyl alcohol orally and it seems to work quite well. We also use stearyl alcohol in some of our products but the amount is much smaller than what I use orally.

cdg

I am using stearyl alcohol orally and it seems to work quite well. We also use stearyl alcohol in some of our products but the amount is much smaller than what I use orally.

Not sure if you have already answered this but where do you get food grade stearyl alcohol? Thanks

Mossy

Would anyone have any thoughts on whether topical stearic acid (shea or cocoa butter) should be applied pre or post sun exposure? My thought is that it would either block the sun (a bad thing), or be synergistic with it (a good thing).

tara

Would anyone have any thoughts on whether topical stearic acid (shea or cocoa butter) should be applied pre or post sun exposure? My thought is that it would either block the sun (a bad thing), or be synergistic with it (a good thing).
I was assuming that it was good to apply before sun exposure. I'm not aware of it blocking any part of the spectrum much. I would be hoping that by raising the SFA:PUFA ratio in and around the skin when the UV hits, it could be slightly protective. I'm no expert, so hoping someone with better understanding of the mechanisms comments.

Mossy

I was assuming that it was good to apply before sun exposure. I'm not aware of it blocking any part of the spectrum much. I would be hoping that by raising the SFA:PUFA ratio in and around the skin when the UV hits, it could be slightly protective. I'm no expert, so hoping someone with better understanding of the mechanisms comments.
Ok, so your thought is it would protect against potential UV damage, but still allow for vitamin D formation? That would be great if that is the case.

Thanks for the thought.

meatbag

@haidut @cdg @Teres
When you take the stearyl alcohol orally does it taste like really strong soap for you? I mean I guess it makes sense it tastes like soap chemically but just double checking I don't have a weird batch

Obi-wan

I like using cocoa butter as a lotion when I am in the sun. No problems.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut @cdg @Teres
When you take the stearyl alcohol orally does it taste like really strong soap for you? I mean I guess it makes sense it tastes like soap chemically but just double checking I don't have a weird batch

Mine does not. It is actually completely tasteless, almost like eating paper snowflakes.

Teres

@meatbag The stearic acid I have don't really have taste or smell. It's really like paper in a sense that it's too neutral and you can't say what do the flakes taste like, if they do have a taste at all. One table spoon of them disolves nicely in a boiling-hot cup of soup, if swallowing them dry isn't your thing. The soup gets a litle bit different odor, but nothing that would make you lose your appetite.

meatbag

@meatbag The stearic acid I have don't really have taste or smell. It's really like paper in a sense that it's too neutral and you can't say what do the flakes taste like, if they do have a taste at all. One table spoon of them disolves nicely in a boiling-hot cup of soup, if swallowing them dry isn't your thing. The soup gets a litle bit different odor, but nothing that would make you lose your appetite.

Thanks, okay so you're using the stearic acid and thanks for the points about the consumption, I'm fine eating flakes but the taste was very strong and made me concerned it was heavily contaminated with some kind of processing solvent. I think I might try stearic acid then as I'm worried all the stearyl alcohols off amazon will be like my batch. If any other experimenters are curious here is the product I tried;
https://www.amazon.com/Stearyl-Alco...6&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=stearyl+alcohol&psc=1

Are there advantages to consuming stearyl alcohol over stearic acid? I am curious in experimenting with supplementation but not sure which powder would be better... it looks like the stearic acid powder has been made through a hydrogenation which concerns me it may have contaminants.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals