Tired all the time despite eating enough

algrthms

I'm feeling really low energy all the time despite eating seemingly high carb. My diet primarily consists of fruit, coffee, occasionally white rice/chickpeas/bread. The only time I feel really awake and energized is when I eat something with a high fat content, like ice cream or pizza. I'm getting enough sleep and eating enough calories, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I'm a student so having a good amount of energy to work is important, but at the same time, I don't want it to be at the expense of my health/weight :-(

I'm feeling really low energy all the time despite eating seemingly high carb. My diet primarily consists of fruit, coffee, occasionally white rice/chickpeas/bread. The only time I feel really awake and energized is when I eat something with a high fat content, like ice cream or pizza. I'm getting enough sleep and eating enough calories, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I'm a student so having a good amount of energy to work is important, but at the same time, I don't want it to be at the expense of my health/weight :-(
Grains do that to me, make me slower and sometimes tired.

MaxMaximus

Have you checked for any infections? Chronic infections/low-grade infections are a common cause of low energy and chronic inflammation

laleto12

If you feel energized by eating fat, why don't you eat more fat? Don't follow some dogma.

Eat what you want.

Phaedrus

You say you are “eating enough” but that’s rather vague. Unless you’ve tracked your calories it’s possible you’re under eating. Also, I agree that if the saturated fat foods like ice cream energize you, listen to your body and eat more of those foods.

mostlylurking

"High Carb" will use up available thiamine. Coffee blocks thiamine. Are you consuming any protein? Just eating calories isn't enough; you need actual nutrients and you need vitamins.

suggested reading:

aniciete

"High Carb" will use up available thiamine. Coffee blocks thiamine. Are you consuming any protein? Just eating calories isn't enough; you need actual nutrients and you need vitamins.

suggested reading:

High carb or high refined carb will? I don’t see how eating fruit, tubers or prepared grains would cause a thiamine deficiency if they literally contain thiamine.

mostlylurking

High carb or high refined carb will? I don’t see how eating fruit, tubers or prepared grains would cause a thiamine deficiency if they literally contain thiamine.
All things are relative. Some people need more thiamine than others due to genetic differences; some people carry a heavier load of heavy metals which use up thiamine and cause a deficiency; some people get into trouble from taking pharmaceutical drugs, including some antibiotics.

peter88

All things are relative. Some people need more thiamine than others due to genetic differences; some people carry a heavier load of heavy metals which use up thiamine and cause a deficiency; some people get into trouble from taking pharmaceutical drugs, including some antibiotics.
How would someone test for thiamine deficiency? Are blood tests accurate?

mostlylurking

How would someone test for thiamine deficiency? Are blood tests accurate?
Accurate thiamine testing is possible but may be a little hard to come by.

Learning what a healthy diet is would be helpful. Dr. Ray Peat's articles are excellent. Here's a search engine link: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the link on the left to search Dr. Peat's articles and omit the forum which can be immensely confusing.

Here's a couple that you may find helpful.

Other suggested search words to use with the search engine above: protein, fats, fish oil, coconut oil, grains, seeds, legumes.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
If you feel energized by eating fat, why don't you eat more fat? Don't follow some dogma.

Eat what you want.
+1

If you do good on something, do more of it. Tweak it until it's perfect for you.

peter88

Accurate thiamine testing is possible but may be a little hard to come by.

Learning what a healthy diet is would be helpful. Dr. Ray Peat's articles are excellent. Here's a search engine link: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the link on the left to search Dr. Peat's articles and omit the forum which can be immensely confusing.

Here's a couple that you may find helpful.

Other suggested search words to use with the search engine above: protein, fats, fish oil, coconut oil, grains, seeds, legumes.
Thank you

MaxMaximus

What’s the best way to check for something like this?
Not sure the best way honestly but I would start with a stool test and checking the oral cavity (gingivitis or a white/cracked tongue for example) which can tell you a lot about your gut health and what might be giving you a constant drip feed of bacterial & fungal toxins

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals