Need Help Increasing GABA

OP
L

lampofred

I wanted to try to fix this issue "biologically" instead of taking herbs, but I finally caved and just took valerian today. I just now realized how severely GABA deficient I have been for the past few years. My focus is much better (so my lack of focus wasn't due to low dopamine, it was due to low GABA...), and I am much less neurotic...

I'm starting to think weight loss is the best route forward to increase GABA, since lowering fat is one of the most powerful ways to lower estrogen.

Also, interestingly, according to Peat, the effect of valerian is basically identical to that of progesterone in the brain. I always thought progesterone was the emotional, lovey-dovey hormone, but I realize now emotionality is due to estrogen since valerian makes me very unemotional (but not in the sense of being apathetic or unempathetic)...

Cirion

I'm starting to think weight loss is the best route forward to increase GABA, since lowering fat is one of the most powerful way to lower estrogen.

Be careful with this line of thought. It is an easy thought to fall into, but caloric deficits just make things worse in the long run, in my experience. Yeah if you can lose weight without forcing it, but please don't force it.

Frankdee20

I wanted to try to fix this issue "biologically" instead of taking herbs, but I finally caved and just took valerian today. I just now realized how severely GABA deficient I have been for the past few years. My focus is much better (so my lack of focus wasn't due to low dopamine, it was due to low GABA...), and I am much less neurotic...

I'm starting to think weight loss is the best route forward to increase GABA, since lowering fat is one of the most powerful ways to lower estrogen.

Also, interestingly, according to Peat, the effect of valerian is basically identical to that of progesterone in the brain. I always thought progesterone was the emotional, lovey-dovey hormone, but I realize now emotionality is due to estrogen since valerian makes me very unemotional (but not in the sense of being apathetic or unempathetic)...

Valerian also blocks some obscure Serotonin receptors in addition to enhancing GABA levels.

OP
L

lampofred

Be careful with this line of thought. It is an easy thought to fall into, but caloric deficits just make things worse in the long run, in my experience. Yeah if you can lose weight without forcing it, but please don't force it.

I know starvation/endurance exercise are definitely not good routes to take to lose weight, but would it be unhealthy to induce hyperthyroidism for a few months to shed the excess pounds? The CO2 produced by the thyroid-driven metabolism should in theory be protective against any damage burning the PUFA can cause (in contrast to low CO2/stress-driven weight loss).

I do realize I'm starting to veer towards a very dangerous line of thinking... At the end of day, I probably won't actually go through with trying to maintain a 100+ BPM heart rate, but theoretically, I don't see what's wrong with it.

Cirion

I know starvation/endurance exercise are definitely not good routes to take to lose weight, but would it be unhealthy to induce hyperthyroidism for a few months to shed the excess pounds? The CO2 produced by the thyroid-driven metabolism should in theory be protective against any damage burning the PUFA can cause (in contrast to low CO2/stress-driven weight loss).

I do realize I'm starting to veer towards a very dangerous line of thinking... At the end of day, I probably won't actually go through with trying to maintain a 100+ BPM heart rate, but theoretically, I don't see what's wrong with it.

That sounds like the approach an older member visionofstrength followed. Rather than cut calories his approach was eat more and use up more. This is basically the approach I want to do to lose weight too. I have lost interest in forceably dropping calories.

At some point the body probably does get more efficient at using calories, at which point less calories are likely needed for the same therapeutic effect. I think the mistake though is to cut calories before sleep is perfect, temp is perfect, pulse is perfect ETC...

Last edited:
OP
L

lampofred

Taking this during the day instead of at night to sleep is helping quite a bit in lowering serotonin/learned helplessness and figuring out what I need to do to get my metabolism/focus back on track.

Frankdee20

Taking this during the day instead of at night to sleep is helping quite a bit in lowering serotonin/learned helplessness and figuring out what I need to do to get my metabolism/focus back on track.

Valerian is a good herb in my opinion, and is mostly GABAnergic. Weather it does this through Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase, or direct GABA - A potentiation is not clear. The problem with taking it during the day is the partial agonist properties on 5ht5a, which makes one very sleepy. I almost had a car accident using it during the day to quell my anxiety. Be careful, and yes, attention issues certainly result from any neurotransmitter that is low, not just dopamine.

OP
L

lampofred

Valerian is a good herb in my opinion, and is mostly GABAnergic. Weather it does this through Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase, or direct GABA - A potentiation is not clear. The problem with taking it during the day is the partial agonist properties on 5ht5a, which makes one very sleepy. I almost had a car accident using it during the day to quell my anxiety. Be careful, and yes, attention issues certainly result from any neurotransmitter that is low, not just dopamine.

What dosage were you taking? I take 2.25 grams at one time and feel no drowsiness at all. I just feel more centered/organized and have more clarity as to what I need to focus on as opposed to what would be a waste of time. Is this a good thing or does it mean my serotonin is so screwed up that I'm less sensitive to serotonin antagonists than most other people...?

And 5HT5A is an autoreceptor right? So 5HT5A agonist should actually lower serotonin?

Frankdee20

I suppose there’s quite a bit of differences in Valerian products out there. Some are standardized to .08 percent Valerenic Acids. Some are a mixture of standardized extracts and the whole root. I have not messed with Valerian in over a year though. It can cause paradoxical reactions in some people, whereby they get restless sleep. That started happening to me, so I stopped. Nobody really knows why this occurs.

Magnolia bark gave me as good anxiolytic results as Valerian, but not as hypnotic. It’s a GABA receptor agonist.

I have tried many different versions of Valerian Herb in capsules. My preference was a loose whole root tea, with Russian packaging. I prefer to use my herbs in tea forms. I currently steep whole chamomile flowers, lemon balm, and whole Passion flower in a tea. It certainly cannot hurt my sleep.

I suppose there’s quite a bit of differences in Valerian products out there. Some are standardized to .08 percent Valerenic Acids. Some are a mixture of standardized extracts and the whole root. I have not messed with Valerian in over a year though. It can cause paradoxical reactions in some people, whereby they get restless sleep. That started happening to me, so I stopped. Nobody really knows why this occurs.

Magnolia bark gave me as good anxiolytic results as Valerian, but not as hypnotic. It’s a GABA receptor agonist.

I have tried many different versions of Valerian Herb in capsules. My preference was a loose whole root tea, with Russian packaging. I prefer to use my herbs in tea forms. I currently steep whole chamomile flowers, lemon balm, and whole Passion flower in a tea. It certainly cannot hurt my sleep.

Would we therefore have a lower level of adrenaline by increasing GABA and the density of its receptors? mine has been chronically high since I was little and I tried a lot of drugs without success! salt, sugar are not helping me. I have excellent benefits from Magnolia which, if I'm not mistaken, also acts on adrenaline.

I meant high adrenaline

Frankdee20

Would we therefore have a lower level of adrenaline by increasing GABA and the density of its receptors? mine has been chronically high since I was little and I tried a lot of drugs without success! salt, sugar are not helping me. I have excellent benefits from Magnolia which, if I'm not mistaken, also acts on adrenaline.

Since GABA is inhibitory, theoretically yes. Magnolia does lower adrenaline, but other things do as well. Zinc and Magnesium and B 6 can do that. KAVA is interesting because it can up regulate GABA circuitry, but also block the reuptake of Norepinephrine. Almost Euphoric in that sense. Ever try Glutamine ?

Frankdee20

Personally, you need a little adrenaline and using too much of these things during the day sucks.

Since GABA is inhibitory, theoretically yes. Magnolia does lower adrenaline, but other things do as well. Zinc and Magnesium and B 6 can do that. KAVA is interesting because it can up regulate GABA circuitry, but also block the reuptake of Norepinephrine. Almost Euphoric in that sense. Ever try Glutamine ?

Thanks for the reply, I could try again B6. I also have P5P. You have to understand that my adrenaline is really chronically high since I was little and GABA is definitely not high. I never solved anything and probably need higher daily dosages to bring it back to basal levels. I have Glutamine at home and I know it works well with B6. What dosage do you suggest? about KAVA ever tried. I take zinc and magnesium already at excellent dosages.

LeeLemonoil

It think increasing GABA while following a high-calorie diet routinely is tricky, if not impossible.

GABA-signaling and Leptin are closely intertwined through various feedback loops.
You might simply be not very leptin-sensitive - a problem that Peat hardly ever adresses.
And that can easily solved by intermittent fasting or skipping meals

Frankdee20

Are you on Progesterone, or any other hormones that augment GABA ? Also, try non addictive GABA enhancing chemicals. GABAPENTIN, Topamax, Valproate.
Some people get good results from Inositol, but that is more of a channel blocker, and resensitizer of 5ht2A. How about low dose Lithium Citrate or Orotate ?

It think increasing GABA while following a high-calorie diet routinely is tricky, if not impossible.

GABA-signaling and Leptin are closely intertwined through various feedback loops.
You might simply be not very leptin-sensitive - a problem that Peat hardly ever adresses.

I’m not sure that IF is needed, it could be as simple as doing intermittent protein and fat restriction.

OP
L

lampofred

I don't eat a high calorie diet at all. But I've read that keeping blood sugar high is actually the most important thing for reducing glutamate because glutamate is removed from the synapse by getting attached to a glucose molecule.

Lolinaa

Hi,
Have you tried taurine? It helped me a lot during my exams to curb anxiety while staying productive.

Taurine always work. You can try as well cyproheptadine but if you are looking to lose weight. It must not be the best medication.

Let us know how things are. I will buy some valerian tea to use when needed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals