Need Help Increasing GABA

postman

Ketosis increases GABA by a ton, enough to make epileptics stop having seizures. Of course it flies in the face od everything Ray is promoting.

A juice fast, with only unpasteurized raw fresh juice is very calming. You need to have a slow juicer to try this. At least 4-5 days and you will be super calm.

Another thing that could help is very heavy exercise. Full body compound strength workout at the gym every other day. 3 compound lifts each time, 3 sets of each, last set of every lift should be done until failure.

ebs

Phenibut upwards of 2 grams will make you Gaba dominant so you'll experience the feeling, but be careful with it.

The closest to Phenibut will be 2+ grams of Taurine with Mucuna Pruriens. Try the full spectrum from Swanson.

Use Magnesium and Glycine daily. In my experience Magnesium Citrate has the most potent gaba effect (decreased pain sensitivity, relaxation, slight euforia and mild sedation).

OP
L

lampofred

doesnt this article suggest that t3 actually antagonises GABA?

https://www.cell.com/biophysj/fulltext/S0006-3495(12)04768-6?code=cell-site

Thyroid function is essentially analogous to GABA activity, so I don't think it's possible for T3 to antagonize GABA unless it's because of low glucose causing an increasing in adrenaline.

I think what the article is saying is that T3 acts just like neurosteroids which are our primary endogenous "benzodiazepines", so it's actually pro-GABAA function.

MkUltra

- Taking 20mg lithium a day (upregulates gaba receptors)

I'm curious, is there a study that shows that level of lithium actually upregulates GABA receptors?

Also, I have seen studies that show that lithium upregulates that production of allopregnanolone which of course should be a good thing for anxiety as well, but I've having trouble finding what dose was used in those studies.

golder

I'm curious, is there a study that shows that level of lithium actually upregulates GABA receptors?

Also, I have seen studies that show that lithium upregulates that production of allopregnanolone which of course should be a good thing for anxiety as well, but I've having trouble finding what dose was used in those studies.

very interesting, thanks. If you do read up anything on dosages let us know, I’ve got some lithium orotate 5mg caps in my draw that I haven’t touched.

Frankdee20

I take 3 grams a day in divided doses, and I swear by it now.

MkUltra

Here's that study that shows that chronic lithium use upregulates the number of GABAB receptors.

GABAB receptors are up-regulated by chronic treatment with lithium or carbamazepine. GABA hypothesis of affective disorders? - ScienceDirect

I'll have to look on sci-hub to see what dosage they used, but I'd assume it was lithium carbonate in the typical dose range for bipolar disorder, which is to say 100's of mg. How that would apply to taking lithium orotate in the 10's of mg range isn't clear to me.

golder

Here's that study that shows that chronic lithium use upregulates the number of GABAB receptors.

GABAB receptors are up-regulated by chronic treatment with lithium or carbamazepine. GABA hypothesis of affective disorders? - ScienceDirect

I'll have to look on sci-hub to see what dosage they used, but I'd assume it was lithium carbonate in the typical dose range for bipolar disorder, which is to say 100's of mg. How that would apply to taking lithium orotate in the 10's of mg range isn't clear to me.

I hope someone will be able to chime in on how that would relate to orotate and in what doses. Great study, thanks.

OP
L

lampofred

I think vitamin D would also do the same.

golder

A 300mg lithium carbonate tablet typically has 56mg of elemental lithium while a 120mg lithium orotate tablet typically has 5mg of elemental lithium.
I mean, the orotate is fairly cheap at around £5-7 per 100 caps of 5mg, but do you think taking ten caps to match the level of elemental lithium that the carbonate would contain would be a safe thing to try?

MkUltra

Palmitoylethanolamide is supposed to down regulate the production of glutamate (good if you have anxiety) and upregulate the production of allopregnanolone which is a GABA PAM (also good if you have anxiety). Probably takes a while to show effect (weeks to a month).

I mean, the orotate is fairly cheap at around £5-7 per 100 caps of 5mg, but do you think taking ten caps to match the level of elemental lithium that the carbonate would contain would be a safe thing to try?

Lithium should generally not be megadosed outside of medical supervision.

Whether you short term megadose or long term moderately dose, consider that you may deplete inositol.

Last edited:

MkUltra

You need to monitor liver enzymes if you're going to take lithium in the kind of doses used for bipolar disorder. I personally wouldn't take more than 20mg/day of elemental lithium in the form of lithium orotate, and I'm slightly antsy at that level.

Last edited:
M

metabolizm

@lampofred have you managed to increase GABA consistently?

After a very short and unpleasant stint on SSRIs, I'm back to the drawing board to find ways to increase my "protective inhibition" capacities. When you're well, you can basically switch off anxious thoughts when they occur to you. That's how we're supposed to be. If we can't do that, if we don't have the strength to counteract the anxiety, then we need support.

Frankdee20

Augmentation of GABA can be done with Magnolia Bark, Lemon Balm, Passion Flower, Valerian, Theanine, p5p.....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals