Thyroid hormone making me very tired?

Gila

Forum Supporter
Hello, I'm a 27 yo male that has been on and off SSRIs for about 5 years and probably in a bad stress response state for 9 years. I haven't had SSRIs for over two months now.
Two months ago I solved long-term insomnia and anxiety with 4 days of 400 IU vitamin E. Then on May 2nd, I started taking desiccated thyroid because my basal temp/pulse was low (97.6 F and 60 bpm). I started with half a grain.
Three weeks after that (5/23) I switched to 1 grain of tyromix (~5 drops). Then, since 6/14 I've slowly bumped it up to about 2 grains (10 drops) which is where I have been the last week or so.

I've noticed the last 5 days I've been really tired and the last day I've also been sort of anxious. What do you think is the cause?
My basal temp and pulse are still sort of low. Temp ~ 97.8 or 97.9 F but pulse upon waking is still 60 to 70 bpm. I'm slightly rushing the thyroid increase but I'm unsure if that's the cause.
Do you think stress hormones have lowered a bit after so many years and so I'm just crashing?

I've been eating carrots and diet is decent although I eat grains frequently but at least no fast food. This is frustrating.

Greg says

Hello, I'm a 27 yo male that has been on and off SSRIs for about 5 years and probably in a bad stress response state for 9 years. I haven't had SSRIs for over two months now.
Two months ago I solved long-term insomnia and anxiety with 4 days of 400 IU vitamin E. Then on May 2nd, I started taking desiccated thyroid because my basal temp/pulse was low (97.6 F and 60 bpm). I started with half a grain.
Three weeks after that (5/23) I switched to 1 grain of tyromix (~5 drops). Then, since 6/14 I've slowly bumped it up to about 2 grains (10 drops) which is where I have been the last week or so.

I've noticed the last 5 days I've been really tired and the last day I've also been sort of anxious. What do you think is the cause?
My basal temp and pulse are still sort of low. Temp ~ 97.8 or 97.9 F but pulse upon waking is still 60 to 70 bpm. I'm slightly rushing the thyroid increase but I'm unsure if that's the cause.
Do you think stress hormones have lowered a bit after so many years and so I'm just crashing?

I've been eating carrots and diet is decent although I eat grains frequently but at least no fast food. This is frustrating.
The thyroid may have lowered adrenaline and stress hormones revealing your true metabolism. Making you tired. Thyroid can make you also sensitive to the adrenaline causing anxiety. Which passes. SSRIs will mess up your nervous system so you’ll be all over the place because of the lack of GABA and dopamine and elevated excitatory hormones. Keep cholesterol up, nutrition and rest.

OP
Gila

Gila

Forum Supporter
That's what I'm thinking too. I would imagine if it was purely too much thyroid then my pulse and temp would rise and my thoughts would be fast. Regardless, I think I'll go down to 1 grain desiccated and stay there for at least 2 months. Should still be beneficial. 2 grains just might have been too much too soon.
I was under severe stress for 9 years straight (panic attacks and derealization) so trying to "start" the system again after so long might be violent.

dreamcatcher

The thyroid may have lowered adrenaline and stress hormones revealing your true metabolism. Making you tired. Thyroid can make you also sensitive to the adrenaline causing anxiety. Which passes. SSRIs will mess up your nervous system so you’ll be all over the place because of the lack of GABA and dopamine and elevated excitatory hormones. Keep cholesterol up, nutrition and rest.
+1

OP
Gila

Gila

Forum Supporter
I think I should also mention I've been taking ~30mg of pregnenolone each day for about a month. Thoughts on that? Do you think that's something that should be continued or stopped? It was very helpful at first but now I'm not sure.

dreamcatcher

I think I should also mention I've been taking ~30mg of pregnenolone each day for about a month. Thoughts on that? Do you think that's something that should be continued or stopped? It was very helpful at first but now I'm not sure.
Ray Peat recommended ~10 mg per day.

marsaday

If you are trying out new supplements how do you know what is doing what ? You have an issue now because you do not know what has caused you to feel tired. Is it pregnant or the thyroid med. Is it the T3 element as well ?

Many factors here.

Preg made me tired, but so does too much thyroid. I would stop the preg and see what happens and continue with the thyroid. Do not make a change to both, only one item at a time.

crsnpalmer

How many calories are you getting in a day? I take 2 grains of NDT a day. If I do not eat 2800+ calories I get fatigued and/ or a stress response. 6 foot 1- 176lb male.

OP
Gila

Gila

Forum Supporter
Preg made me tired, but so does too much thyroid. I would stop the preg and see what happens and continue with the thyroid. Do not make a change to both, only one item at a time.
Interesting. It's weird preg makes you tired. It's only one reaction down from cholesterol. You would imagine, with reasonable doses, the body would just use it as needed and you would have strictly beneficial reactions.
How many calories are you getting in a day? I take 2 grains of NDT a day. If I do not eat 2800+ calories I get fatigued and/ or a stress response. 6 foot 1- 176lb male.
Not enough haha. I'm a 6' 145 lb male. It's often difficult for me to cook for myself because I'm so tired. Either way, calories aren't something I've ever measured and certainly not something I have the energy to care too strictly about. I've been trying recently to force myself to drink good amounts of orange juice and what not. I have some brewers yeast coming today, I think I'm going to boil it and drink the water to see if the B vitamins will help facilitate my metabolism trying to increase.

crsnpalmer

Interesting. It's weird preg makes you tired. It's only one reaction down from cholesterol. You would imagine, with reasonable doses, the body would just use it as needed and you would have strictly beneficial reactions.

Not enough haha. I'm a 6' 145 lb male. It's often difficult for me to cook for myself because I'm so tired. Either way, calories aren't something I've ever measured and certainly not something I have the energy to care too strictly about. I've been trying recently to force myself to drink good amounts of orange juice and what not. I have some brewers yeast coming today, I think I'm going to boil it and drink the water to see if the B vitamins will help facilitate my metabolism trying to increase.
Do you tolerate dairy? 2% milk can be a quick way to get calories in. I go through lemonade, OJ, and grape juice as well.

I use meal prep companies now for proteins and starches. Food quality might not be ideal from reheating, but it saves 10-11 hours a week of cooking.

I keep an eye on my protein and carbs- fats are usually the same everyday unless I eat out.

Reducing stimulants and increasing activities outdoors really improved my appetite.

When I first got interested in Ray Peat, I ruined my social life avoiding “toxic foods.” Sometimes the laughs and time spent meeting other people at restaurants/bars is way better for ya than the super killer seed oils.

I heavily salt foods too.

Hagen daz can be your friend.

I am word vomiting, but these helped me.

I used to be 155lbs

Some people can really improve appetite and reduce stress with cyproheptadine. I wasn’t able to use it regularly. It negatively affected my ability to get everything done at work. If I think of anything else, I will share it in this forum.

OP
Gila

Gila

Forum Supporter
I've been getting some tingling in my hands today and yesterday. I suspect this has something with increased sugar intake. I'm going to search the forum for explanations but commenting here because that's sort of scary lol. I'm not trying to give myself diabetes as a skinny person or anything.

Edit: might be high blood sugar. I've experienced the fatigue and some slightly blurry vision additionally. I'm freaking out a bit now.

Edit2: Okay here's what I'm going to do. Reduce sugar intake moderately (mainly reducing sugary liquids). Stop all supplements except thyroid. Get blood work done and also monitor blood glucose daily for a bit. Then take next steps. This could be something as simple as I no longer need the vit E and I should stop taking it or reduce its use to once per week.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals