Thyroid Storm-need Advice

i spent the night in the ER and left this morning after my vitals were fine. The doctor was hesitant to confirm it because thyroid levels were "normal" but I absolutely know I had some sort of thyroid storm from way too much thyroid hormone. Last week I had labs done and an endo told me I should NOT be on thyroid hormone so I've stopped all supplementation for 4 days now since that. But I am experiencing psychosis, high blood pressure/racing heart rate, high blood sugar, dehydration, etc. this is truly awful. I made a big mistake. I was cleared and given Ativan and felt quite well, but it has worn off and I am not sleeping much at all. Pulse is 92 bpm so not that high, but has been up to 105ish. I've read it takes 5-7 for half of t4 to leave the system so I just need to be patient. Any advice is appreciated. Embarassing and dumb. But I need some support from you guys right now.

FredSonoma

I'm no expert but eat a LOT!!!!! Just stuff food down your face till you fall asleep lol

Sheik

I've been there. Not the ER but the doctor, and panicking, having taken too much thyroid. I'm not really sure what to suggest. Maybe do something else. Check out this blog: Barking Up The Wrong Tree

He writes about ways to improve your life and backs it up with science. That always makes me feel better about life. It's very motivating.

jaguar43

What thyroid are you specifically on.

Peata

It it's any consolation, that heart rate does not sound that high to me. Mine is in the 90s at times during day, and sometimes 100s on regular days. (Was up to about 120 when I had it checked at doctor a couple weeks ago, some of that could have been because I was at the doctor - "white coat syndrome?")

Blood Pressure is good all the time though.

What is your BP?

postman

If youre trying to push down thyroid function raw cabbage juice would be a good choice.

OP
N
Thanks everyone. I've done 3 things that have helped so far:

-drinking Gatorade to deal with dehydration
-aspirin to reduce intestinal inflammation and bring down blood sugar
-bag breathing to increase c02

Pulse and blood pressure I think are normal now, mood is better, still a bit anxious, appetite is not great...i think in a week or so I should be okay. I appreciate all the advice.

Diokine

Can you explain a little bit what you were taking and why you think it led to a thyroid storm? I've been down that road before, it is not fun! Possibly some of the worst feelings one can imagine...

Quinine (tonic water) has traditionally been used for hyperthyroid symptoms, it definitely helped me out.

OP
N
Okay. Should I donate blood? Would that get a good amount of thyroid hormone out of my blood stream?

tara

The doctor was hesitant to confirm it because thyroid levels were "normal" but I absolutely know I had some sort of thyroid storm from way too much thyroid hormone. Last week I had labs done and an endo told me I should NOT be on thyroid hormone so I've stopped all supplementation for 4 days now since that.
Do you have the numbers? Feel like posting?

Can you explain a little bit what you were taking and why you think it led to a thyroid storm?
+1

OP
N
Idk why. But I've been having this deep fear and anxiety over the past couple months that I didn't attribute to the thyroid. I was taking 75 mcg Levothyroxine and Cytomel too. Very scary. I don't have lab values, but I was certainly overdoing it. Doctor said labs were "normal" but we know that doesn't mean much.

Shaky hands. Can't sleep. Pacing around. Getting better each day though. Just got to patient.

tara

I don't have lab values, but I was certainly overdoing it.
I'd recommend contacting dr and requestin the detailed results of any thyroid lab tests they've taken, before, during, after this incident.

What was and is your body temp?

tara

Increasing thyroid hormone even from low to normal can result in increased sensitivity to adrenaline, even without actual hyperthyroid state. Body temps and lab numbers might help distinguish this.
If it was too mucyh and you are coming down now that you've stopped supplementing, it should keep going down.

How did you get up to the T4 and T3 doses you were on? Did you do the small and slow approach while monitoring temps and pulse? Or just jump in with the full dose? How much T3, and split up how through the day?

Diokine

What was and is your body temp?
+1

I'd hesitate to call it a thyroid storm. This is a pretty distinct diagnosis and requires pretty prompt and serious medical intervention. Definitely possible that it was thyroid toxicity though. What dosage of cytomel were you taking? What would be very indicative of thyroid toxicity is body temps and your tolerance to heat. When I overdid thyroid (using an NDT product,) I sweat very easily and could not stand warmth. It made me very agitated and it felt like I was "burning up." I wouldn't call what I experienced a thyroid storm, more like moderate hyperthyroidism. That doesn't discount it at all though, it's an extremely terrible feeling. The anxiety was some of the worst I've ever experienced. Things returned to pretty manageable within 2 or 3 days though...

Increasing thyroid hormone even from low to normal can result in increased sensitivity to adrenaline, even without actual hyperthyroid state. Body temps and lab numbers might help distinguish this.

Absolutely. I experienced this myself for a period of close to a month while thyroid status normalized. It plays with blood sugar levels a lot, and can very easily lead to states of panic. I think you're doing well keeping yourself hydrated, also keep the sugar intake up because you are going to swinging through periods of high stress response a bit. Like I said previously, tonic water containing quinine will help with the physical symptoms (tremor, fast heart beat,) and I found great success with Tulsi tea in relieving anxiety and emotional distress.

Don't beat yourself up too much. When experimenting on yourself you are bound to run into issues as you "feel where the edges are." Use it as a learning experience. Part of the issue for me was also coming to terms with the fact that I may have potentially taken too much of a very powerful substance. This can absolutely raise anxiety :)

OP
N
Thank you so much. Yes thyroid hormone is dangerous stuff in the wrong hands. If I ever take again, I'll stick with no more than half a grain. I'm feeling better now. I'll be alright. Thanks everyone.

OP
N
Im wondering if I should take some t3 only. I would guess I have high reverse t3 from all that t4. My digestion is not moving at all. Blood sugar is definitely high.

tara

Im wondering if I should take some t3 only. I would guess I have high reverse t3 from all that t4. My digestion is not moving at all.
You think you are still recovering or have just recovered from a thyroid storm or hyperthyroid state, you've just had a bad scare that you put down to supplementing too much thyroid and realised it can be dangerous, and now you want to take more T3 before you have recovered from that?

Please measure your resting temps thoroughly more than once before you take any more thyroid supps.
If temp is high, this would be consistent with hyperthyroid.
If temp is low, you are probably not currently hyperthyroid.
This would be important to know before considering whether to supplement any more thyroid of any kind.

You did not tell us how you were dosing the T3 before - and while you are at it, what effect did you notice from that?

If you decide to try some T3 again at some time in the future, consider limiting it to 1-2mg at a time. This is in the physiologic range.

OP
N
Okay. I appreciate your cautious advice. Just was thinking a touch of t3 could pull me out of this. I decided to do a niacinamide aspirin combo, and maybe some caffeine. This combo can act like t3? I just feel like my body is craving t3 right now. My mom hid my t4 and t3 from me lol so it's not an option now anyways. But i think it could be a good idea to try 1 mcg and see what happens. Bowels are not moving. Blood sugar is high.

Edit:
Sipping on some coffee SLOWLY. Let's see what happens. Took some niacinamide and aspirin and vitamin k.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals