Sulfur Issues

inthedark

I took a couple pinches of sulfur (usp grade) aka flowers of sulfur and immediately felt awful, lightheaded and kind of "high". In the next few days I got cold and flu like symptoms. What could be going on? The couple times I've tried it since then have been very similar results. Same spaced out feeling within minutes every time.

Last edited:

Lurker

Herx reaction? Everything coming out ok? If your movements are good you could try some activated charcoal.

BTW, what were you taking this for? Parasites?

LUH 3417

i took a teaspoon of sulfur powder with honey and drank a pot of pu-erh tea. an hour later i went to the bathroom and saw liver flukes and eggs and really weird looking things. i feel pretty good right now.

LUH 3417

before i had a BM i felt like i might die but in the sense that a really deep feeling of sleepiness came over me and i never get sleepy during the day. so i thought i gave myself metabolic acidosis or something. i also started reading how sulfur can be toxin in 20 grams. but then i reminded myself that i only took a teaspoon and after going to the bathroom everything improved significantly.

LUH 3417

Well two weeks later and I developed a crazy amount of bruising on my legs. Apparently sulfur thins the blood!

Amazoniac

Peater

I take a quarter of a tea spoon semi regularly and haven't had any side effects. Good to know that a teaspoon full is safe (if potentially unpleasant)

LUH 3417

I take a quarter of a tea spoon semi regularly and haven't had any side effects. Good to know that a teaspoon full is safe (if potentially unpleasant)
Well, I also got flu like symptoms a week later, had a high fever, plus the bruising. So I could have definitely given myself a mineral imbalance, but I am alive thankfully

tara

If I consider taking flowers of sulphur at some stage, I hope I remember to test UpH first. And if the UpH is particularly low, to defer the sulphur till I can get it up a bit.

LUH 3417

I asked Ray if i could have displaced copper by taking sulfur and he said...

Prolonged intake of sulfur does that. Carl Pfeiffer, who wrote Mental and Elemental Nutrients, took some sulfur every day for years, apparently to avoid copper toxicity, but he lost all his melanin pigment, which requires copper.

and about the bruising...

If intestinal microorganisms produced a large amount of hydrogen sulfide, I think you would have noticed the odor, but at high concentrations it can dilate small blood vessels, and that could increase ease of bruising. A deficiency of progesterone, with high cortisol and estrogen, is a common cause of bruising, especially on the thighs.

magnesiumania

What is sulphur flowers? I take a teaspoon of MSM about once a week. Never had a problem from it. Only side effect ive noticed is smooth skin. But i do try to increase my bio-available copper so i dont do too much (like i used to, take 2 teaspoons every day for long periods)

Dave Clark

What is sulphur flowers? I take a teaspoon of MSM about once a week. Never had a problem from it. Only side effect ive noticed is smooth skin. But i do try to increase my bio-available copper so i dont do too much (like i used to, take 2 teaspoons every day for long periods)
What do you know about the copper/sulfur connection? Does sulfur antagonize, or have some negative effect on copper? I see this mentioned from time to time, yet I haven't seen anything by the experts saying don't consume sulfur because it will lower copper, etc. Will using MSM effect bio-available copper?

magnesiumania

Dave: i only know what Morley Robbins suggest, which is that sulphur may chelate copper (and copper is like his favourite mineral lol). Lots of MSM will depelete ceruloplasmin/bio-Cu.

JCastro

The sulfur (thiol) exclusion trial - Living Network
Dr Andy Cutler educates that many mercury-toxic people are intolerant to certain foods, commonly known as ‘sulfur foods’, which have a high free thiol content. Consuming foods high in thiols raises the circulating thiol levels which in turn mobilizes mercury and creates symptoms.

He notes, “You typically get a couple of hours of feeling good, energized, happy, and then libidinous, then you feel tired, draggy and depressed, which goes on for a day to a week. Of course if you are eating sulfur foods at each meal these all get stacked up and you can never figure out what is happening.”

The onset of reaction of symptoms is fairly prompt, with the tired/icky/depressed part starting within a few hours, and can last for 4-7 days. You might even enjoy eating these foods and believe that they do you no harm, but their reactions can cause you a lot of undue suffering.

Dave Clark

Dave: i only know what Morley Robbins suggest, which is that sulphur may chelate copper (and copper is like his favourite mineral lol). Lots of MSM will depelete ceruloplasmin/bio-Cu.
That's what I thought. I couldn't find on his site or videos his opinion on the MSM and copper, but had a feeling he might be against it since most ot the textbook info says that sulfur opposes copper. I guess I will shelf my MSM for now, and just get my sulfur from my grass fed dairy, garlic, onions, etc. I don't want to mess up my copper metabolism. If you can find Morley's info on this subject, please post it for the people who are using high doses of MSM. Thanks.

magnesiumania

I dont think you have to put it entirely away, small occasional doses are not likly to deplete or mess up copper metabolism, i think. However you could work to build ceruloplasmin and go back to your shelf and have a pinch of MSM.

I do not know where to find any link to direct you, sorry. It is a common opinion or view on his facebook group-page.

Lewistx

Ray mentioned it is effective against fungal issues which I have left where can I buy this online im dealing with cold body temp white dry tongue and itchy feet

Dave Clark

I remember Peat saying on a podcast, when asked, if MSM was okay. He said yes, but be careful not to take too much. The thing that gets me on some of these opinions on MSM or sulfur is, where are the studies backing up any assertions? Also, how much is too much? People use a gram or two/day daily, and I don't hear of anyone having problems with the MSM, if anything, it helps their inflammation, etc. Where are the tests to show it depletes copper? Just like IP-6, people like to parrot about how it depletes minerals, yet no studies have shown mineral deficiency or depletion using IP-6, in fact, what it preferentially binds to, free iron, is what we want out. I think some real studies are in order before Morley or anyone can say with any certainty that MSM (sulfur) depletes copper to a point of being problematic. And where are the studies showing it lowers ceruloplasmin? If someone has them or knows where to find them, please post.

Motif

Oh wow. I now wonder if people who have problems with copper or ceruloplasmin might have actually some kind of sulfur issue?

@Hans

you ever heard about this connection ?

now I’m reading cocoa has lots of sulphur.
maybe I could really have sulphur issues.
Dried fruits are hell for me too. OJ. Peanut butter.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals